IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

5 hours ago, bodin said:

For me, as a Rovers fan, I have to admit that your club and fanbase is much bigger than Rovers. But to claim Rovers are going absolutely nowhere is ridiculous. If you take the league table since Coughlan took over we're in a playoff spot. Clarke-Harris has 5 goals in 6 games. Holmes-Dennis looks to be a player that we could sell in the future for a massive profit. The fact is our problems this season came from Clarke's favourites and a lack of a strikeforce and finishing ability. In terms of expected goals we're much better than the teams around us and are on the same level as a team like Fleetwood in that respect. With a few additions, preferably a RB, a winger or two and a striker to replace Jakubiak (assuming we don't sign Bonham), we could easily be top half of league 1. I just think your fans are laughably optimistic about the lack of quality at Rovers just because we lost to a team which is too big for the Championship, let alone League 1 a couple of times. Plus City are on awful form as Johnson always does in the second half of the season. I'd be shocked if you got a playoff place, and if Johnson leaves then what then? Obviously i'm not denying that in terms of owners and funds and stadiums we're miles behind, but you don't need high attendances to be a successful team. Brentford only get 9k on average. 

You're a point above the relegation zone you absolute belter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, bodin said:

For me, as a Rovers fan, I have to admit that your club and fanbase is much bigger than Rovers. But to claim Rovers are going absolutely nowhere is ridiculous. If you take the league table since Coughlan took over we're in a playoff spot. Clarke-Harris has 5 goals in 6 games. Holmes-Dennis looks to be a player that we could sell in the future for a massive profit. The fact is our problems this season came from Clarke's favourites and a lack of a strikeforce and finishing ability. In terms of expected goals we're much better than the teams around us and are on the same level as a team like Fleetwood in that respect. With a few additions, preferably a RB, a winger or two and a striker to replace Jakubiak (assuming we don't sign Bonham), we could easily be top half of league 1. I just think your fans are laughably optimistic about the lack of quality at Rovers just because we lost to a team which is too big for the Championship, let alone League 1 a couple of times. Plus City are on awful form as Johnson always does in the second half of the season. I'd be shocked if you got a playoff place, and if Johnson leaves then what then? Obviously i'm not denying that in terms of owners and funds and stadiums we're miles behind, but you don't need high attendances to be a successful team. Brentford only get 9k on average. 

Where to start ??

"If you take the league table since Coughlan took over we're in a playoff spot."  You do get that it's over more than half a dozen games , right?
"Holmes Denis" (who?) .... 7 games and you're thinking he's another £10m player ??  Good luck.
"we could easily be top half of league 1" ......  You have to stay in L1 first , not a certainty 
" just think your fans are laughably optimistic about the lack of quality at Rovers.... you are just above the relegation zone in an average L1, that screams lack of quality ffs.
"a team which is too big for the Championship" Guessing you mean Sunderland, the team was shit for years , support means nothing to where you finish. Currently they are an OK L1 side, no more.
"Plus City are on awful form". Yep , we've lost to the best two teams in the division , one pushing for the play off's and the side that just drew at Chelsea. Not a great run agreed.
 "I'd be shocked if you got a playoff place" I , like many are doubtful we will make it, but we have a chance and I'll be fairly happy if that's true on the last day of the season.
"Brentford only get 9k on average."  They might do, but have a new ground being built , 20 thousand all seater. The owner has apparently invested around £100m , good comparison.

Fair play coming on here defending your side, wonder if we'll see you next week if we win and you lose ?

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bodin said:

That's what happens on the run in to the seasons end. The teams in deep shyte start pulling a few results out of the bag. That's why you're still in the shyte, because others around you are also playing like play off teams now.

Using your theory, if we had a few additions, like a left back, a striker or two and a midfield dynamo, we'd be in the top two. We haven't and we aren't.  Just as you haven't and you aren't.

As for Brentford, their ground's too small for them, they've always been bigger than your lot and are investing properly in their future. The only money spent at the rugby ground is from STs and sponsors, spend a bit on the basics but cut down on the playing staff and management. Your owners haven't got any that they can spare and they're soon to be on an asset stripping agenda. Forced into administration and forced to put the rugby ground up for sale. They've already signed up the chairmen and staff with the experience for that inevitable outcome.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bodin said:

Wow . This sums up you lot perfectly ?. You haven’t got a pot to piss in so how are you likely to bring these mythical players in ? 

You cant even pay one of your coaches 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bodin said:

@Miah Dennehy, this is precisely why this thread can slip to page 2, because the gift that continues to give coughs up this deluded idiot....dear oh dear.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, bodin said:

It's not exclusively on the pitch that you are going nowhere. You mention Brentford, who are soon to move in to a new stadium with a capacity around 18k and have a well established system to keep themselves afloat and be competitive at this level. Compared to yourselves, they are going somewhere. Your owners would do well to emulate them. It's probably the only route open to them, seeing as they don't spend much. We've hardly spent peanuts but are still realistically punching above our weight in this league. Seen how much Wolves spent last season?

Wish it wasn't all about the money and business like infrastructure these days but it is and you're years behind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Where to start ??

"If you take the league table since Coughlan took over we're in a playoff spot."  You do get that it's over more than half a dozen games , right?
"Holmes Denis" (who?) .... 7 games and you're thinking he's another £10m player ??  Good luck.
"we could easily be top half of league 1" ......  You have to stay in L1 first , not a certainty 
" just think your fans are laughably optimistic about the lack of quality at Rovers.... you are just above the relegation zone in an average L1, that screams lack of quality ffs.
"a team which is too big for the Championship" Guessing you mean Sunderland, the team was shit for years , support means nothing to where you finish. Currently they are an OK L1 side, no more.
"Plus City are on awful form". Yep , we've lost to the best two teams in the division , one pushing for the play off's and the side that just drew at Chelsea. Not a great run agreed.
 "I'd be shocked if you got a playoff place" I , like many are doubtful we will make it, but we have a chance and I'll be fairly happy if that's true on the last day of the season.
"Brentford only get 9k on average."  They might do, but have a new ground being built , 20 thousand all seater. The owner has apparently invested around £100m , good comparison.

Fair play coming on here defending your side, wonder if we'll see you next week if we win and you lose ?

Point 1: Coughlan has been in charge of Rovers for 14 games, with a record of 6 wins, 5 draws and 3 losses. Based on points per game that was enough to get 5th in League 1 last season. I think it's fair to say that's long enough to judge that a honeymoon period hasn't taken place. 

Point 2: Holmes-Dennis. A left-back who replaced Lee Brown, he was Championship standard and was a regular for Huddersfield when they went up. But with injuries and new left-backs he was loaned out to Portsmouth, where he played 1 game and got injured for the season. So he got sold to Rovers in the summer, Rovers were quite smart (for once) to make the fee dependent on appearances, so if he got injured they'd have only played pennies. And honestly, since he's come into the team he's been phenomenal. Quality wise, he's too good for Rovers. I don't think he's worth £10m obviously, but the issue with Taylor and Bodin were Taylor had a release clause and Bodin's contract was very short. Holmes-Dennis has a long contract, the same applies with Jonson Clarke-Harris, I think he's a great player. 5 goals in 6 games since we signed him. Very similar style-wise to Jason Roberts. For the record, having kept track of the most promising young players in England for quite a while, I think exactly the same for Jay DaSilva for you. He'll reap a lot of profit in the future if you choose to sign him permanently. 

Point 3: I disagree. Do I think it's a certainty? No. Of course not, because anything can happen in football. But I think it's very likely that Rovers will stay up. Scunthorpe and Walsall both look to be on awful form, Rochdale and Bradford have new managers. Plus, it's extremely close at the bottom. If Rovers win their game in hand we go up to 13th place. Accrington have been on awful form recently too. Rovers have given me enough good performances against teams a lot better than us to be confident we can beat the much worse ones we still have to play. Rochdale, Wimbledon and Bradford specifically. 

Point 4: Our lack of quality this season has come from our inability to finish chances and score goals. This was our main problem earlier in the season. Our strike force consisted of Stefan Payne, who is a target man who is frankly useless and had a very poor mentality. Gavin Reilly, who misses a lot of sitters and is very inconsistent. Alex Jakubiak, who isn't a goalscorer but is a good workhorse. And Tom Nichols, who has never scored much but this season has been great in terms of providing assists. So we signed Jonson Clarke-Harris and going forward we look a completely different team. He's bringing out the best in Nichols as he has someone to play off of, and he can dominate centre-backs, like he did yesterday against Scunthorpe, even their manager said it. The point is our league position is down to the lack of quality that we didn't have but now we appear to have. 

Point 5: Sunderland have George Honeymoon and Aiden McGeady, two players who not only are too good for League 1, but should probably be playing in the Premier League. And they're not an okay League 1 team, if they win their game in hand they're 1 point off of second place. They're one of the best League 1 teams and it should be expected that the team in 3rd place beat the team that's battling relegation. 

Points 6 and 7: You also lost to Birmingham who are in 11th place, and 3 defeats in 4 games is a huge contrast to the 13 game unbeaten streak you went on. Johnson has a history of poor performances in the second half of the season, I mean after the Manchester United game last season I was shocked because you seemed so poor. And a team that was considered certain promotion candidates finished in 11th place. And the whole point isn't you lost to Leeds, but knowing many City fans Leeds weren't that good and City players seemed not bothered. And that's a lot more worrying than a close 1-0 defeat.

Point 8: My point is you don't need high numbers in attendance levels to be a successful team. I see it every week in here pointing to the 8,000 or so attendance of Rovers fans. And although I completely disagree with the fans who think we're a huge club who should be Championship level. I think our attendance levels and our fanbase is far too big for the standard of football we've competed in in recent years. Our club is too big for League 2, as demonstrated by our average attendance would be the 2nd best in League 2, even in League 1 it's 9th. And it's better than clubs like Doncaster, MK Dons, Burton etc. who have all had sustained periods of time in the Championship. 

I think infrastructure wise we're years behind some other clubs, but I think we deserve better, however much you may disagree. But i'm optimistic, and our recent form tells me we'll stay up and I think we have the capacity to grow next season as we have a very good core of players.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

That's what happens on the run in to the seasons end. The teams in deep shyte start pulling a few results out of the bag. That's why you're still in the shyte, because others around you are also playing like play off teams now.

Using your theory, if we had a few additions, like a left back, a striker or two and a midfield dynamo, we'd be in the top two. We haven't and we aren't.  Just as you haven't and you aren't.

As for Brentford, their ground's too small for them, they've always been bigger than your lot and are investing properly in their future. The only money spent at the rugby ground is from STs and sponsors, spend a bit on the basics but cut down on the playing staff and management. Your owners haven't got any that they can spare and they're soon to be on an asset stripping agenda. Forced into administration and forced to put the rugby ground up for sale. They've already signed up the chairmen and staff with the experience for that inevitable outcome.

Other than Oxford, not many teams at the bottom have had as good a run as Rovers. Rochdale, Walsall, Bradford, Wimbledon, Accrington and Scunthorpe are all on awful form and they're the teams Rovers are competiting with. We looked certain to go down under Clarke but now we look very likely to stay up under Coughlan. 

I don't think the issue with you is personnel though, I think it's the fact that City always have a massive drop off in the second part of the season. 

1 hour ago, BanburyRed said:

@Miah Dennehy, this is precisely why this thread can slip to page 2, because the gift that continues to give coughs up this deluded idiot....dear oh dear.

Deluded how?

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Wow . This sums up you lot perfectly ?. You haven’t got a pot to piss in so how are you likely to bring these mythical players in ? 

You cant even pay one of your coaches 

There's a lot of great players in non-league who have the capacity to step up. There's a lot of great young talent in the Premier League too. I didn't suggest that the Al Qadis were going to invest heavily, our transfers don't even need to be high fees. 

2 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

You're a point above the relegation zone you absolute belter.

Our position is down to the fact we didn't have a goalscorer and now we do.

2 hours ago, Banjo Island said:

One win and your up and running bodin so predictablea it takes  one little thing to get you lot excited on radio bristol last night some chump described one of your players as reminding him of loftus cheek haha give it a rest what a totally futile football club you are

It's not one win. We've been great since Coughlan joined. And he possibly meant Clarke-Harris, and that wasn't down to quality, that's down to they look similar.

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Where to start ??

Good post - but we really have to leave the exaggerations to the sags....Brentford’s new stadium is nowhere near 20k seats....no need to round figures up, that’s the saggies’ habit....

1 hour ago, bodin said:

Our position is down to the fact we didn't have a goalscorer and now we do

No, your position is down to the fact you're not very good . The league table never lies and your bang in trouble lad. I'd be very cautious about celebrating too early ( remember Wycombe  )

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, bodin said:

What's delusional is you claiming this is after 1 win when actually this is after we've been on playoff form since Coughlan joined. 

I'm not claiming anything. I think you are though. Play off form you say? You do realise that the play offs are for teams at the other end of the table? Still 1 measly point outside of the relegation zone. Colossal win against the might of Scunthorpe. No wonder you're 'prowed'. Beware the trapdoor......

3 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

No, your position is down to the fact you're not very good . The league table never lies and your bang in trouble lad. I'd be very cautious about celebrating too early ( remember Wycombe  )

Our position is down to us being awful in the first half of the season but being great in the second half. To use City as an example, even though you finished 11th you were in the promotion race for the majority of the season, and yet the league table didn't show that. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

I'm not claiming anything. I think you are though. Play off form you say? You do realise that the play offs are for teams at the other end of the table? Still 1 measly point outside of the relegation zone. Colossal win against the might of Scunthorpe. No wonder you're 'prowed'. Beware the trapdoor......

Since Coughlan took over Rovers have 23 points in 14 games. I'll do the maths, that's 1.64 points per game, over a 46 game season that's 75 points. Last season that would have been enough to finish 5th in League 1, which is a place in the Playoffs. We're 36 games into the season so far, so such form would expect 59 points, which would be enough to be 6th at the moment, also in the playoff spot. Hence since Coughlan took over we've experienced playoff form. 

We're a "1 measly point outside of the relegation zone." Except we have a game in hand and if we win that we go all the way up to 13th, comfortably clear of the relegation zone. Also, if you're mocking the club size of the team we've beat then we beat Blackpool 4-0? So what's your point? And if you're mocking the fact they're a poor team, why wouldn't a team below another team in the league celebrate a win against that team? It's not even a one-off because we've done it multiple times in recent weeks but oh well. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bodin said:

Point 1: Coughlan has been in charge of Rovers for 14 games, with a record of 6 wins, 5 draws and 3 losses. Based on points per game that was enough to get 5th in League 1 last season. I think it's fair to say that's long enough to judge that a honeymoon period hasn't taken place. 

Point 2: Holmes-Dennis. A left-back who replaced Lee Brown, he was Championship standard and was a regular for Huddersfield when they went up. But with injuries and new left-backs he was loaned out to Portsmouth, where he played 1 game and got injured for the season. So he got sold to Rovers in the summer, Rovers were quite smart (for once) to make the fee dependent on appearances, so if he got injured they'd have only played pennies. And honestly, since he's come into the team he's been phenomenal. Quality wise, he's too good for Rovers. I don't think he's worth £10m obviously, but the issue with Taylor and Bodin were Taylor had a release clause and Bodin's contract was very short. Holmes-Dennis has a long contract, the same applies with Jonson Clarke-Harris, I think he's a great player. 5 goals in 6 games since we signed him. Very similar style-wise to Jason Roberts. For the record, having kept track of the most promising young players in England for quite a while, I think exactly the same for Jay DaSilva for you. He'll reap a lot of profit in the future if you choose to sign him permanently. 

Point 3: I disagree. Do I think it's a certainty? No. Of course not, because anything can happen in football. But I think it's very likely that Rovers will stay up. Scunthorpe and Walsall both look to be on awful form, Rochdale and Bradford have new managers. Plus, it's extremely close at the bottom. If Rovers win their game in hand we go up to 13th place. Accrington have been on awful form recently too. Rovers have given me enough good performances against teams a lot better than us to be confident we can beat the much worse ones we still have to play. Rochdale, Wimbledon and Bradford specifically. 

Point 4: Our lack of quality this season has come from our inability to finish chances and score goals. This was our main problem earlier in the season. Our strike force consisted of Stefan Payne, who is a target man who is frankly useless and had a very poor mentality. Gavin Reilly, who misses a lot of sitters and is very inconsistent. Alex Jakubiak, who isn't a goalscorer but is a good workhorse. And Tom Nichols, who has never scored much but this season has been great in terms of providing assists. So we signed Jonson Clarke-Harris and going forward we look a completely different team. He's bringing out the best in Nichols as he has someone to play off of, and he can dominate centre-backs, like he did yesterday against Scunthorpe, even their manager said it. The point is our league position is down to the lack of quality that we didn't have but now we appear to have. 

Point 5: Sunderland have George Honeymoon and Aiden McGeady, two players who not only are too good for League 1, but should probably be playing in the Premier League. And they're not an okay League 1 team, if they win their game in hand they're 1 point off of second place. They're one of the best League 1 teams and it should be expected that the team in 3rd place beat the team that's battling relegation. 

Points 6 and 7: You also lost to Birmingham who are in 11th place, and 3 defeats in 4 games is a huge contrast to the 13 game unbeaten streak you went on. Johnson has a history of poor performances in the second half of the season, I mean after the Manchester United game last season I was shocked because you seemed so poor. And a team that was considered certain promotion candidates finished in 11th place. And the whole point isn't you lost to Leeds, but knowing many City fans Leeds weren't that good and City players seemed not bothered. And that's a lot more worrying than a close 1-0 defeat.

Point 8: My point is you don't need high numbers in attendance levels to be a successful team. I see it every week in here pointing to the 8,000 or so attendance of Rovers fans. And although I completely disagree with the fans who think we're a huge club who should be Championship level. I think our attendance levels and our fanbase is far too big for the standard of football we've competed in in recent years. Our club is too big for League 2, as demonstrated by our average attendance would be the 2nd best in League 2, even in League 1 it's 9th. And it's better than clubs like Doncaster, MK Dons, Burton etc. who have all had sustained periods of time in the Championship. 

I think infrastructure wise we're years behind some other clubs, but I think we deserve better, however much you may disagree. But i'm optimistic, and our recent form tells me we'll stay up and I think we have the capacity to grow next season as we have a very good core of players.

Point 1 : So you've won more games since the new manager came in , that is the Wiki description of a honeymoon period

Point 2 : Championship standard, but dropped to Div 2 ? Sounds right 

Point 3 : Very likely , have to take your word , but I wonder were you one of those celebrating at Wycombe ?

Point 4 : So you were a quality side, but just short a big lump up front , and that's why you were struggling OK , sounds a good signing.

Point 5: Mcgeady is 32 and has played about 2/3s Sunderlands games , was good but not Prem standard now. Honeyman seems to divide opinion , and hardly played in the Prem so not sure he's there yet.

Point 6/7 : Leeds weren't that good because we aren't as open as WBA were last week. Not sure about players not caring, they weren't great , but that's a different thing all together. Yes , LJ has a rep for streaks , but the team seems to have evolved a little , and this poor run was likely as we are playing the better sides in this run of fixtures.

Point 8 : Fanbase , funny things. I agree with you saying you don't need big numbers , but Brentford (keeping up your chosen comparison ) have a multi millionaire owner , who is willing and able to put substantial funds into the club. You get 8,000 ? You have an owner who is unwilling or unable to put money in , there is a massive difference between the two clubs. I don't think you would see a team get into the Championship with both a non spending owner and small ground and get anywhere near Brentford's success .

I imagine every teams fans believe they deserve better. Fair play, you're confident you'll stay up (again Wycombe) and you might , but unless the owners find some money growth will be hard, L1 is not a great division and mid table should be easy to achieve if you stay up. Then again the owners could have another fire sale and you start again.

33 minutes ago, bodin said:

Our position is down to us being awful in the first half of the season but being great in the second half. To use City as an example, even though you finished 11th you were in the promotion race for the majority of the season, and yet the league table didn't show that. 

We finished 11th because that's what we deserved,  you're 1 point off the drop because that's what you' deserve.  Get it now ?

I can use a crayon if you're struggling. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bodin said:

The odd thing is you sacked your poster boy, Clarke and promoted one of his coaches to replace him..

I get your optimism, be interesting to see where you end up... 

8 minutes ago, bodin said:

Since Coughlan took over Rovers have 23 points in 14 games. I'll do the maths, that's 1.64 points per game, over a 46 game season that's 75 points. Last season that would have been enough to finish 5th in League 1, which is a place in the Playoffs. We're 36 games into the season so far, so such form would expect 59 points, which would be enough to be 6th at the moment, also in the playoff spot. Hence since Coughlan took over we've experienced playoff form. 

We're a "1 measly point outside of the relegation zone." Except we have a game in hand and if we win that we go all the way up to 13th, comfortably clear of the relegation zone. Also, if you're mocking the club size of the team we've beat then we beat Blackpool 4-0? So what's your point? And if you're mocking the fact they're a poor team, why wouldn't a team below another team in the league celebrate a win against that team? It's not even a one-off because we've done it multiple times in recent weeks but oh well. 

Well congratulations on CSE maths and CSE assumption. I can do the maths, i choose not because it's irrelevant. Big 'if' having a game in hand, always have points on the board. We have a big 'if' with a game in hand to beat Ipswich but if we don't, the big 'if' won't mean anything. The heady heights of 13th eh? Nose bleed territory. On the flipside, that also means the lower end of the L1 table is incredibly congested and thus any other team can also have the opportunity to jump several places, just like you.

Mocking Scunthorpe & Blackpool? Yeah why not? When you consider how far Blackpool have fallen since their exploits in the Premier League. As well as being poorly run, like you. But if you want to claim that as a major scalp in L1.  Scunthorpe? Jeez. When we see all the words of how big you are (allegedly), hacking around 1 point above the relegation zone, play off form, massive away followimg, thousands locked out every week, 'because it's what you do' etc....surely beating teams in and around you should be well within your capabilities? Without the need to celebrate.

If i were you, i'd be keeping everything crossed that your 1.64 pts per game continues, and hey you never know, you might end up in 5th. Or underneath that dotted line. Best keep up your 'multiple beatings'....must be so exciting for you lot at the minute. Shame you couldn't make Wembly.

22 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Point 1 : So you've won more games since the new manager came in , that is the Wiki description of a honeymoon period

Point 2 : Championship standard, but dropped to Div 2 ? Sounds right 

Point 3 : Very likely , have to take your word , but I wonder were you one of those celebrating at Wycombe ?

Point 4 : So you were a quality side, but just short a big lump up front , and that's why you were struggling OK , sounds a good signing.

Point 5: Mcgeady is 32 and has played about 2/3s Sunderlands games , was good but not Prem standard now. Honeyman seems to divide opinion , and hardly played in the Prem so not sure he's there yet.

Point 6/7 : Leeds weren't that good because we aren't as open as WBA were last week. Not sure about players not caring, they weren't great , but that's a different thing all together. Yes , LJ has a rep for streaks , but the team seems to have evolved a little , and this poor run was likely as we are playing the better sides in this run of fixtures.

Point 8 : Fanbase , funny things. I agree with you saying you don't need big numbers , but Brentford (keeping up your chosen comparison ) have a multi millionaire owner , who is willing and able to put substantial funds into the club. You get 8,000 ? You have an owner who is unwilling or unable to put money in , there is a massive difference between the two clubs. I don't think you would see a team get into the Championship with both a non spending owner and small ground and get anywhere near Brentford's success .

I imagine every teams fans believe they deserve better. Fair play, you're confident you'll stay up (again Wycombe) and you might , but unless the owners find some money growth will be hard, L1 is not a great division and mid table should be easy to achieve if you stay up. Then again the owners could have another fire sale and you start again.

Point 1: A honeymoon period is when in the first couple of games after a new manager takes over a team performs well, but they very quickly drop off after their first blip. I'd have agreed with you had we lost to Wycombe and then gone back to our form under Clarke, but we've experienced several blips (most to Sunderland :laugh:) and we keep performing, hence not a honeymoon period

Point 2: He's dropped to League 1 because teams were afraid to take him because of his injury record. Rovers signed him, gave him time to recover from the injury he received whilst at Portsmouth, and since he's been fantastic. Comfortably better than Lee Brown who's in a promotion-chasing team in Portsmouth

Point 3: No, I didn't celebrate at Wycombe, I knew there was every chance we could still go down given that Wycombe was our first win in 6 games, and we could blow it at Mansfield.So did I celebrate the win? Yes. Did I see it as a guarantee that we were staying up? Definitely not. I knew nothing's ever guaranteed with Rovers, I was more confident that we'd beat Dagenham comfortably and yet it took us until the 93rd minute to do so, made for a phenomenal moment though.

Point 4: Yes that's right. It's why we have drastically better goal different than all the other sides at the bottom of the table, because we weren't getting smacked every week, we were narrowly losing 1-0, 2-1 by not taking our chances. Our xG scored is better than Fleetwood's and they've scored 10 more goals than us. 

Point 5: McGeady is 32, and is 33 in a month. But he did play consistent Championship football, and at a high level. I watched him against us the other night and realised he's far too good to be in this league, maybe Prem standard was a bit far given his Everton tenure, but he's too good for League 1. 

Point 6/7: For me Lee Johnson weirdly mirrors Darrell Clarke in terms of form, we were always awful for the first half of the season and then picked it up around January and performed until the end of the season. Good examples include the late push to the promotion spot in League 2 and in the Conference too, although we bottled it in the Conference, unfortunately.

Point 8:

I'm not sure I agree, I could give a few examples but the strongest is probably Bournemouth, they're leagues above where they've been for the majority of their history and now they're being able to beat some of the best Premier League teams 4-0, when only a decade beforehand they were scraping away from relegation to the Conference and Chelsea were winning the FA Cup and had only just lost the Champions League final a year previously. Also, i'm not too educated on them, but I don't think Luton have large investment and they don't have much bigger attendances than Rovers (I think it's around 9k average for Luton). And I know Brentford and Rovers aren't comparable, they're just the model I would have love this club to follow. And I do doubt that the owners would have a fire sale, I doubt Widdrington and Coughlan would allow it. I know we did the same with Taylor, Bodin and Harrison. But Taylor wasn't optional, Bodin had 6 months left on his contract and Harrison we got offered £1m for, which we saw as great business since we could get Payne for £200k. However, Payne turned out to be shit and Harrison's been very poor for Ipswich so far. So you never knows what will happen. 

2 hours ago, bodin said:

Utterly laughable, why isit you and most of the other Sags think that’s you deserve better?

Isit because you’ve all sat there and got shafted by who’s ever ran your shambles over the years and done nothing about it except starting up a petition up for Wally to bury the differences and speak out to you, and bombarding a Jordanian Banks twitter account voicing your displeasure ? 

As a fanbase you’ve got the Tinpot shite that you deserve, and it’s only gonna get worse.........

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

The odd thing is you sacked your poster boy, Clarke and promoted one of his coaches to replace him..

I get your optimism, be interesting to see where you end up... 

Was really unexpected because when Stewart left I had no clue what we were going to do. And when Coughlan joined I thought he'd be even worse than Clarke, I was a massive advocate for Paul Hurst or Michael Flynn for the job. But Coughlan performed very well and I think he'll keep us up. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Well congratulations on CSE maths and CSE assumption. I can do the maths, i choose not because it's irrelevant. Big 'if' having a game in hand, always have points on the board. We have a big 'if' with a game in hand to beat Ipswich but if we don't, the big 'if' won't mean anything. The heady heights of 13th eh? Nose bleed territory. On the flipside, that also means the lower end of the L1 table is incredibly congested and thus any other team can also have the opportunity to jump several places, just like you.

Mocking Scunthorpe & Blackpool? Yeah why not? When you consider how far Blackpool have fallen since their exploits in the Premier League. As well as being poorly run, like you. But if you want to claim that as a major scalp in L1.  Scunthorpe? Jeez. When we see all the words of how big you are (allegedly), hacking around 1 point above the relegation zone, play off form, massive away followimg, thousands locked out every week, 'because it's what you do' etc....surely beating teams in and around you should be well within your capabilities? Without the need to celebrate.

If i were you, i'd be keeping everything crossed that your 1.64 pts per game continues, and hey you never know, you might end up in 5th. Or underneath that dotted line. Best keep up your 'multiple beatings'....must be so exciting for you lot at the minute. Shame you couldn't make Wembly.

Thought you were wondering where I was coming from so I explained it. Well, you should beat Ipswich, so it's not really a big if, I'd expect you to. Just as I'd be hopeful that we won our game in hand. The whole point is 13th is drastically higher than the 24th we would've finished had Clarke stayed. And whilst I see your point, the whole reason that the gap has closed is because the teams above us have been on awful form, which is the whole reason why I think we'll stay up. It's the same with Oxford, who I think will stay up too. And I expect one of Walsall/Accrington to go down. 

I didn't say it was a major scalp in L1. I said it was a good win because they were ahead of us in the league. Same with Blackpool. I don't even understand why you're mentioning that, I've never been under any illusion that City aren't the biggest and most supported team in Bristol? Our away following has been impressive in some instances like Chelsea and Sunderland, but usually it's just average, not massive. I've never said any of those things because i'm not deluded and don't think we've got the capabilities to be a massive club, or even Championship unless some serious changes occur. Both in our finances and in our support.

I will, but given the awful form of teams around us, it should only take a couple more wins until we're comfortably staying up. I think 3/4 of the relegation spots are already guaranteed and I think Rovers will stay up and i'm confident about it. Just as confident as I'd be if I was an Oxford fan because of the poor form of the teams around us. 

15 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Utterly laughable, why isit you and most of the other Sags think that’s you deserve better?

Isit because you’ve all sat there and got shafted by who’s ever ran your shambles over the years and done nothing about it except starting up a petition up for Wally to bury the differences and speak out to you, and bombarding a Jordanian Banks twitter account voicing your displeasure ? 

As a fanbase you’ve got the Tinpot shite that you deserve, and it’s only gonna get worse.........

Do you misunderstand me? By "deserve better," I mean around 8-10th in League 1. Around that. And there's evidence for that, specifically the 9th highest average attendance in the league. And the fact we'd have the 2nd highest would be go down. I'm not dumb enough to think we deserve the Championship, maybe that's what you think I'm implying? 

Also that's quite ignorant, just the other day a guy on gaschat started a petition and met up with the board and conducted a 2 hour interview with the board. What else can you do? They're not poor enough for us to boycott.