IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

Tbf, Clarke clearly has *something*.

Looking at it on an unbiased point, he was sold a pup (which he probably enjoyed) by Ward but motivated the r*vers enough to then get two successive promotions, in addition to his Salisbury success. Undoubtedly struggled in league one though, maybe in part due to lack of funds.

What I see in him is an ‘old school’ motivator manager. I don’t recall the g*s waxing lyrical about the football under him and when he got to a level where “us against the world” wasn’t enough and he needed tactical acumen, he crapped out.

So, @bodin, ignoring the Dean Holden piece (assistant coaches need different skill sets from head coaches), what makes you possibly think a top six championship side would want a man who shouts a lot but has no tactical skills?

(And w*nks off dogs. Just for the record).

I disagree that if he did come here the blue few would melt down. They’d love it, bask in the reflected success and claim “we couldn’t have done it without DC”. Which shows where they are.

So, in summary

- Good non league and L2 manager

- Good motivator

- Tactically lacking

- Inept at higher levels

- Tosses off Spaniels.

Its a no from me

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

We don't have a manager; we have a Head Coach; he has assistants of which Holden in one (and a good one at that).

Now, about this 'no goal striker' of yours; would that be Nicholls to whom you refer? Who was the talent spotter at your club who decided to break the Bank of Jordan to bring him in? Thought so. The same man who was Assistant Manager to John Ward during the season that you ceased playing in the EFL to join what every self-repecting football supporter knows as League Five (yeah right).

So you believe that the Assistant Manager of a 'relegated out of the League' team can be a suitable Assistant Manager for a top six Championship club? Hmmm. Good try.

Everyone knows head coach and manager are interchangeable terms. Does it matter? I'm sure you don't correct City fans if they say "sack our manager." With "um actually he's the head coach not the manager so in this case it'd be `sack our head coach.'" 

No I was referring to Luke James. But Tom Nichols has never been and will never be Darrell's fault. He missed easy chances and didn't score for months despite the fact he scored 10 League 1 goals in the league that season.He was a great signing on paper. And AT THE TIME, City fans were advocating for him to sign for you. 

And I assume you're just playing devil's advocate? The success of his career as a manager has far outweighed the failures. Jurgen Klopp got relegated with Mainz (not comparing Clarke to Klopp obviously), but couldn't Liverpool fans have said the same thing? Why would we hire Klopp since he got relegated with Mainz, isn't that ignorant? Because obviously Klopp's success at Mainz and Dortmund far outweighed the bad patches (in Dortmund's case his last season). 

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Tbf, Clarke clearly has *something*.

Looking at it on an unbiased point, he was sold a pup (which he probably enjoyed) by Ward but motivated the r*vers enough to then get two successive promotions, in addition to his Salisbury success. Undoubtedly struggled in league one though, maybe in part due to lack of funds.

What I see in him is an ‘old school’ motivator manager. I don’t recall the g*s waxing lyrical about the football under him and when he got to a level where “us against the world” wasn’t enough and he needed tactical acumen, he crapped out.

So, @bodin, ignoring the Dean Holden piece (assistant coaches need different skill sets from head coaches), what makes you possibly think a top six championship side would want a man who shouts a lot but has no tactical skills?

(And w*nks off dogs. Just for the record).

I disagree that if he did come here the blue few would melt down. They’d love it, bask in the reflected success and claim “we couldn’t have done it without DC”. Which shows where they are.

So, in summary

- Good non league and L2 manager

- Good motivator

- Tactically lacking

- Inept at higher levels

- Tosses off Spaniels.

Its a no from me

What evidence is that shows he's tactically lacking though? Is it his poor performance at Rovers in League 1 (for the last season)? If so why can't you say the same for Holden when he was at Oldham

5 minutes ago, bodin said:

Everyone knows head coach and manager are interchangeable terms. Does it matter? I'm sure you don't correct City fans if they say "sack our manager." With "um actually he's the head coach not the manager so in this case it'd be `sack our head coach.'" 

No I was referring to Luke James. But Tom Nichols has never been and will never be Darrell's fault. He missed easy chances and didn't score for months despite the fact he scored 10 League 1 goals in the league that season.He was a great signing on paper. And AT THE TIME, City fans were advocating for him to sign for you. 

And I assume you're just playing devil's advocate? The success of his career as a manager has far outweighed the failures. Jurgen Klopp got relegated with Mainz (not comparing Clarke to Klopp obviously), but couldn't Liverpool fans have said the same thing? Why would we hire Klopp since he got relegated with Mainz, isn't that ignorant? Because obviously Klopp's success at Mainz and Dortmund far outweighed the bad patches (in Dortmund's case his last season). 

Eh ?

Thats the best one from you tonight :clapping:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bodin said:

Dean Holden's experience of management is what exactly? Clarke managed a 10th place finish despite losing his best player mid-season and having a striker who scored 0 goals up front with the core of a Conference team. He's a better manager than Dean Holden obviously. 

Don't be a ***. Clark signed the asswipe that scores an average of less than one goal a season. He managed 10th in the 3rd tier once, and is currently unemployed because that is the pinnacle of his career. Dean Holden is not a manager. He is an assistant coach at a 2nd tier club. Go and crawl back under your rock and leave us alone.

Just now, bcfc01 said:

Eh ?

Thats the best one from you tonight :clapping:

Is this not the case? 

I'll take this thread as an example:

"Isn't he the one everybody on here wanted us to sign a year or 2 ago..?" - Bar BS3

"Yeh I seem to remember people mentioning him. He had two good seasons in League Two with Exeter but didn't quite cut it in his first year with Peterborough in League One. Wouldn't surprise me if he did a job at Rovers though." - WRERE

"yep and I'm sure some couldn't believe peterborough beat us too him too" - Monkeh

"Fair to say The dog botherer is not a bad judge of a player" - Vincent Vega

"Not wishing to praise them at all, but Tom Nicholls will be a bloody decent signing for them. Must admit, I'm surprised." - Harry

"I hope for their sakes he doesn't turn out to be Dandy Nicholls!" - Swede

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bodin said:

Is this not the case? 

"Isn't he the one everybody on here wanted us to sign a year or 2 ago..?" - Bar BS3

"Yeh I seem to remember people mentioning him. He had two good seasons in League Two with Exeter but didn't quite cut it in his first year with Peterborough in League One. Wouldn't surprise me if he did a job at Rovers though." - WRERE

"yep and I'm sure some couldn't believe peterborough beat us too him too" - Monkeh

"Not wishing to praise them at all, but Tom Nicholls will be a bloody decent signing for them. Must admit, I'm surprised." - Harry

******* hell , seriously lad get a life ffs ???

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, bodin said:

What evidence is that shows he's tactically lacking though? Is it his poor performance at Rovers in League 1 (for the last season)? If so why can't you say the same for Holden when he was at Oldham

In short, yes.

If you believe WAQ (stop sniggering) his budget was competitive. So he had opportunity to compete. He didn’t. He rode the crest of a motivational wave to go up from the conference (on pens) and L2 (in the 93rd min of the last game). When he got to a level that wasn’t enough, even with the budget (if you believe WAQ), he failed.

I don’t recall any of your fans proclaiming Clarke as a great tactician - they loved him because he galvanised the fan base - nothing wrong with that, but when that wasn’t enough, he wasn’t good enough.

As for vs Holden - DH took charge on a temporary basis (with all that entails) after LJ left for Barnsley and was in role for c3 months, reverting to assistant afterwards. Not sure how that’s comparable to 18 months in charge at L1 level with full control, but I’m sure you can enlighten us

Edited by Silvio Dante

4 minutes ago, bodin said:

Is this not the case? 

Mate, go and have a **** or something and get it out your system. And if that doesn't work, and you still have too much time on your hands, at least quote people properly. Thanks for your time.

2 minutes ago, GreedyHarry said:

Don't be a ***. Clark signed the asswipe that scores an average of less than one goal a season. He managed 10th in the 3rd tier once, and is currently unemployed because that is the pinnacle of his career. Dean Holden is not a manager. He is an assistant coach at a 2nd tier club. Go and crawl back under your rock and leave us alone.

The pinnacle of Holden's career was 3 wins, 5 draws and 7 losses and getting sacked for Oldham? That's worse? The point is he was still hired to be the assistant coach to a 2nd tier club with that level of experience. And I really don't think coaches and managers are oxymorons, managers coach and coaches manage a lot of the time. The only difference is the manager starts the lineup and has a lot more influence. Jurgen Klopp described his assistant manager Željko Buvač as his footballing brain.

Just now, GreedyHarry said:

Mate, go and have a **** or something and get it out your system. And if that doesn't work, and you still have too much time on your hands, at least quote people properly. Thanks for your time.

Where did I quote someone incorrectly?

The pinnacle of Holden's career was 3 wins, 5 draws and 7 losses and getting sacked for Oldham? That's worse? The point is he was still hired to be the assistant coach to a 2nd tier club with that level of experience. And I really don't think coaches and managers are oxymorons, managers coach and coaches manage a lot of the time. The only difference is the manager starts the lineup and has a lot more influence. Jurgen Klopp described his assistant manager Željko Buvač as his footballing brain.

In whose opinion is that the pinnacle of Holden's career. Is that what he has said?

Just now, bodin said:

Nice bit of copy and paste there.

But I would really suggest  :mf_sleep:

Bodin - with all due respect, THIS FORUM is a Bristol City forum and THIS THREAD is a p1sstake about Rovers. It isn't so some Rovers fan can come on here to try and converse about Rovers players and ex managers with facts and figures and asking us for opinions and facts about YOUR lot.

Go over to your own forum if you want to chat seriously about YOUR mob.

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

In short, yes.

If you believe WAQ (stop sniggering) his budget was competitive. So he had opportunity to compete. He didn’t. He rode the crest of a motivational wave to go up from the conference (on pens) and L2 (in the 93rd min of the last game). When he got to a level that wasn’t enough, even with the budget (if you believe WAQ), he failed.

I don’t recall any of your fans proclaiming Clarke as a great tactician - they loved him because he galvanised the fan base - nothing wrong with that, but when that wasn’t enough, he wasn’t good enough.

As for vs Holden - DH took charge on a temporary basis (with all that entails) after LJ left for Barnsley and was in role for c3 months, reverting to assistant afterwards. Not sure how that’s comparable to 18 months in charge at L1 level with full control, but I’m sure you can enlighten us

The budget wasn't competitive though, WAQ chats utter bollocks. Two transfers of 200k or over (from memory) is no where near competitive, especially considering what teams like Peterborough were spending despite them finishing slightly below us. 

He wasn't a masterful tactician, no. But he also wasn't anywhere near inept in that sense. 

It's the only way that you can really compare the two considering that was DH's only managerial tenure. I can see your point though. 

1 minute ago, wood_red said:

Bodin - with all due respect, THIS FORUM is a Bristol City forum and THIS THREAD is a p1sstake about Rovers. It isn't so some Rovers fan can come on here to try and converse about Rovers players and ex managers with facts and figures and asking us for opinions and facts about YOUR lot.

But I didn't make this a discussion about Rovers at all. I claimed Darrell might have been there because him or Stewart might have been interested in a possible unknown upcoming vacancy on Johnson's management team. Rudolf Hucker discussed his campaign in League 1 which switched the topic onto that. 

6 minutes ago, wood_red said:

He’s been told this many a time . I think the fake Fanta and out of date crisps has turnt  him a bit ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

But I didn't make this a discussion about Rovers at all. I claimed Darrell might have been there because him or Stewart might have been interested in a possible unknown upcoming vacancy on Johnson's management team. Rudolf Hucker discussed his campaign in League 1 which switched the topic onto that.

Gas Translate:

"I made up a completely unfounded story. To make me and my club look biggerer and betterer than wot we is."

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

Yep that's right @bodin

The best manager in the last 20 years for you may well just about be good enough to be our assistant. 

Bet you're really prowed

We're a million billion miles behind you and have been for years, so I'm not surprised if that's true. 

1 minute ago, GreedyHarry said:

Gas Translate:

"I made up a completely unfounded story. To make me and my club look biggerer and betterer than wot we is."

Did I mention Rovers being a bigger or better club anywhere? 

27 minutes ago, bodin said:

Is this not the case? 

Yeah, a year or 2 previously. Before he was shite..!