IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

28 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Seems like Cock Man is favourite for the Pilgrims job.  Having just saved the numpties from Div 4 football this year, who would be willing to take on that pile of shite for next season?

He would go up in my estimation if he did toddle off down the M5 to manage a much more ambitious outfit though. He's been with yhe Sagslong enough to realise that Wally's promises are all hot air and never amount to anything.

It’ll certainly be interesting if he gives Plymouth “da tumbs up”.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

The Galleries know the score.......

FA4A40B3-5A8B-49F0-BB24-B87B3852E6C7.thumb.png.dbe9515fafdce2c4a75c39a278cda658.png

That'll upset the Fewers...

'I ain't goin' down there again, I'll be gettin' all me best gear from Primark now. I ain't goin' near The Officers Club* whilst thats up.'

*haven't been down there for years, it was a discount store.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

No. I used to write bits for that fanzine and it had already pretty much finished by then. It was actually originally called 91/2 Months, but the title was changed to honour our finest hour :)

As has been stated elsewhere on this thread Ian & Hazel did fall out with Dunford (I think) and do follow Wimbledon these days, although they have lived in London for years now so that may well have also been an influence.

Oh, and thank you for the congratulations. It's nice to see that the game still causes enough angst amongst City fans to raise so many responses :)

I got a few gas mates Miah and none of them ever mention 1990. They do about 82 though. Strange, all the years we’ve ripped the piss out of you lot but they never bring up the one thing you got over us. 

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

I got a few gas mates Miah and none of them ever mention 1990. They do about 82 though. Strange, all the years we’ve ripped the piss out of you lot but they never bring up the one thing you got over us. 

That’s easy - Gaslogic. Rather see us fail before anything else.

The Sags are in for a very exciting summer if Cockman’s latest comments are anything to go by. The rest of the division will be shaking with fear no doubt.

‘Graham Coughlan reveals Bristol Rovers summer recruitment plans’............

'I've got a nose for a League One player'

You keep aiming for the top, ya Cock.

3 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

The Sags are in for a very exciting summer if Cockman’s latest comments are anything to go by. The rest of the division will be shaking with fear no doubt.

‘Graham Coughlan reveals Bristol Rovers summer recruitment plans’............

'I've got a nose for a League One player'

You keep aiming for the top, ya Cock.

He'll need more than that as a signing on fee.

Still, not to be sniffed at I suppose.

4 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

No. I used to write bits for that fanzine and it had already pretty much finished by then. It was actually originally called 91/2 Months, but the title was changed to honour our finest hour :)

As has been stated elsewhere on this thread Ian & Hazel did fall out with Dunford (I think) and do follow Wimbledon these days, although they have lived in London for years now so that may well have also been an influence.

Oh, and thank you for the congratulations. It's nice to see that the game still causes enough angst amongst City fans to raise so many responses :)

How can you stop supporting your team and follow another? Does she cheer when they score against the gas? Don’t get It?

Lived in London over 20 years, would never cross my mind to follow another club.

......and never forget 18 years ago today - 2nd May 2001 - Bristol Roverzzzzz 1 Wycombe Wanderers 2 - a result which relegated the sags to the basement division! And it also meant they had to change the name of their fanzine - and yes, they were relegated by Wycombe...WYCOMBE - their old friends!!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/1306803.stm

45 minutes ago, PolskRed said:

How can you stop supporting your team and follow another? Does she cheer when they score against the gas? Don’t get It?

Lived in London over 20 years, would never cross my mind to follow another club.

Tony Harling did years ago, and didn’t the writer of Ipswich’s history clear off to Norwich over a row, or the other way around?

5 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

That'll upset the Fewers...

'I ain't goin' down there again, I'll be gettin' all me best gear from Primark now. I ain't goin' near The Officers Club* whilst thats up.'

*haven't been down there for years, it was a discount store.

Greggs now I think?

9 hours ago, PolskRed said:

I don't know, you would have to ask her. Or well known serial team switcher Tony Robinson :)

12 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Thing is, they went up, and we went up. Promotion was what we desired in August 1989, not being "Third Division Champions." A big deal for them, no doubt, but third tier "honours" don't exactly float our boat. I would prefer to forget every season we have played at that level (no-one outside of Bristol takes any notice of us at that level). Rightly or wrongly, deluded maybe, we see ourselves as a bit above that piss-poor division (having more often than them, literally, been above that) 

It didn't do them any long term good, going up that year, anyway.

• Like 2

On 02/05/2019 at 06:40, SirColinOfMansfield said:

Thanks for the reminder .... talking of anniversaries .... 5 YEARS TOMORROW!

Pirates are sent down

Colin Daniel's first-half goal condemned Bristol Rovers to relegation out of the Football League as Mansfield secured a 1-0 win.

Colin Daniel's first-half goal condemned Bristol Rovers to relegation out of the Football League as Mansfield secured a 1-0 win.

Some ugly scenes after the final whistle saw police horses come on the pitch to deal with angry Rovers supporters, who vented their fury at relegation.

colin-daniel-of-mansfield-holds-off-pres_74627910_relegation4.jpg

article-2619537-1D8BB8CD00000578-346_634

Bristol-Rovers-v-Mansfield-Town.jpg

article-2619537-1D8BE61900000578-69_634x

HAPPY DAYS!

The fact that the midden dwelling retards battered Mansfield without scoring, makes it far more hilarious...tragic bastards.

2 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Thing is, they went up, and we went up. Promotion was what we desired in August 1989, not being "Third Division Champions." A big deal for them, no doubt, but third tier "honours" don't exactly float our boat. I would prefer to forget every season we have played at that level (no-one outside of Bristol takes any notice of us at that level). Rightly or wrongly, deluded maybe, we see ourselves as a bit above that piss-poor division (having more often than them, literally, been above that) 

Well that's open to debate. However, it's nights like that , that make football magical. That night it went for us, and there were other - what some may consider insignificant- days and nights that went for you. If you discount games like, off the top of my head, when you beat Hartlepool in the play offs and when you got past Hereford (I think) to get to Wembley for the first time, then you are missing out on a huge fun part of the game.

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

It didn't do them much good short term either.

They averaged 6,209 in the promotion year

Then in each of the 3 seasons they were in the 2nd tier they averaged under 6k.

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn.htm

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

It didn't do them much good short term either.

They averaged 6,209 in the promotion year

Then in each of the 3 seasons they were in the 2nd tier they averaged under 6k.

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn.htm

Attendances at the time were not what they are today. I have no idea what City's average was back then, but I would guess less than 14000.

1 minute ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Attendances at the time were not what they are today. I have no idea what City's average was back then, but I would guess less than 14000.

Usually, when a team is promoted (especially to the 2nd tier) the attendances go up...

54 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Still, at least Wally has remained committed to his first love, Chelsea.

An inspiration to us all.

The icon known here as Skeletor, when asked which he wanted to win - his first love or his true love - showed that his heart now lies elsewhere, and that’s not with the 15ers. 

I guess some legends move on while others remain and become kit man. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Well that's open to debate. However, it's nights like that , that make football magical. That night it went for us, and there were other - what some may consider insignificant- days and nights that went for you. If you discount games like, off the top of my head, when you beat Hartlepool in the play offs and when you got past Hereford (I think) to get to Wembley for the first time, then you are missing out on a huge fun part of the game.

So speaks a fan of a mundane, lower league club. "Hartlepool" and "Hereford," mate; you've said it all there. And you can throw "Bristol Rovers" in with those two. Pitiful.

Hasn't it ever been thus in Bristol - the low/zero ambition/appetite for challenge, we-know-our-place blue few consumed with derision and bitter resentment for the ambitious/deluded, ever-dreaming-big upstart south of the river (but secretly wishing for some of what we have achieved, and continue to strive for), never quite accepting our "place"?

If Spurs have "The Game is about Glory" writ large at their ground, what would the Rovers equivalent be? The Game is about ..... ?

Edited by Moments of Pleasure
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SimonR said:

A very happy Saint Daniel's day everybody. Raise a glass to a Bristol football hero.

BnBGVezCMAAIz52.jpg

I do believe we were at Creepy FC away that day...... can still see the local plod looking at thinking weirdos as the whole of the away end celebrating about 3 mins after our game finished...... they really had no clue what was going on......!!

1 hour ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:

I do believe we were at Creepy FC away that day...... can still see the local plod looking at thinking weirdos as the whole of the away end celebrating about 3 mins after our game finished...... they really had no clue what was going on......!!

We were indeed, neither the plod nor the Crawley fans had a clue.  Bloody hilarious, we must have looked right nutters.

• Like 1