IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

It doesn't matter how big your turnover is really (unless it's an apple turnover).  If you don't make a profit, you make a loss.  In their case probably a bloody big one, which may explain why the can't publish their accounts as the want to leave it as long as they can before admitting that they are insolvent or try to sell something to put them back in the black.  Only problem is that they don't have any players worth anything, their ground is mortgaged to the hilt and the bottom has fallen out of the second hand camping gear market.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

It doesn't matter how big your turnover is really (unless it's an apple turnover).  If you don't make a profit, you make a loss.  In their case probably a bloody big one, which may explain why the can't publish their accounts as the want to leave it as long as they can before admitting that they are insolvent or try to sell something to put them back in the black.  Only problem is that they don't have any players worth anything, their ground is mortgaged to the hilt and the bottom has fallen out of the second hand camping gear market.

There's something else at the root of this. And I don't know what it is.

Their loss for the year should actually be lower than previous years as they had player sales (Matty to us and somebody to Ipswich); they were ticking along at about £1.6m ignoring UWE write-offs so maybe £1.2m, £1.3m. Their best, or rather least worst, results for several years.

The loan facility had another £5m added to it which IIRC left them covered for about three years' trading losses from now.

There is no reason for their 17/18 accounts to look bad, they should look (relatively) good.

Whatever else has been going on may not be revealed if it's fallen through so it could be that at their 11 June AGM they sign off on a reasonable set of accounts and that's that. No explanation required for the two month delay or some guff trotted out (the audit partner left his homework on the bus).

I'm not expecting any big reveal or bad news in their accounts. I think anyone who is will be disappointed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

What ! You mean they intend to asset strip the club ? 

No ! Not such a nice man as Wally.

Hello Pikeys :sub:

Asset strip? I thought the definition of an asset is something worth having so let me see;

1) Santa's grotto. Only if Freddie Krueger was making another horror movie.

2)  Colony Field. That's so overgrown. That could be registered as a town and village green.

3) Chernobyl. They have more use for the tents so the half a stand and cricket pavilion could be flattened and turned into a permanent circus.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Their loss for the year should actually be lower than previous years as they had player sales (Matty to us and somebody to Ipswich); they were ticking along at about £1.6m ignoring UWE write-offs so maybe £1.2m, £1.3m. Their best, or rather least worst, results for several years.

The loan facility had another £5m added to it which IIRC left them covered for about three years' trading losses from now.

There is no reason for their 17/18 accounts to look bad, they should look (relatively) good.

Whatever else has been going on may not be revealed if it's fallen through so it could be that at their 11 June AGM they sign off on a reasonable set of accounts and that's that. No explanation required for the two month delay or some guff trotted out (the audit partner left his homework on the bus).

I'm not expecting any big reveal or bad news in their accounts. I think anyone who is will be disappointed.

Eddie. TBH, I agree with you. Just being a bit mischievous ?.

They are a bit close to the edge though, adding all their losses annually to the debt on the Mem.  All it takes is a downturn in the value of land or property (I presume the value is in the land rather than the tents) and it could all go a bit tits up.

They will at some point need to sell the Mem or find a rich benefactor from the east.

But I assume that Wally, being the nice man he is, will never shaft them as he will never want his £Xmillion back.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Eddie. TBH, I agree with you. Just being a bit mischievous ?.

They are a bit close to the edge though, adding all their losses annually to the debt on the Mem.  All it takes is a downturn in the value of land or property (I presume the value is in the land rather than the tents) and it could all go a bit tits up.

They will at some point need to sell the Mem or find a rich benefactor from the east.

But I assume that Wally, being the nice man he is, will never shaft them as he will never want his £Xmillion back.

True - but I wouldn't mind betting that his harder-nosed brother will want the money back ... plus interest.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Possible unexpected expenditure in year to date and/or newly uncovered liabilities, i.e. the few non-tented areas of the stadium constructed of asbestos or the training colony site deemed an area of outstanding natural beauty or a disused nuclear fuel dump – just saying!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

6 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

my uncle thinks they are close to a deal with a US deal, god knows where he heard it from, but he's not usually the gossipy type, but wouldn't say anything else, so who knows,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fiale said:

my uncle thinks they are close to a deal with a US deal, god knows where he heard it from, but he's not usually the gossipy type, but wouldn't say anything else, so who knows,

Not a chance, the only future buyers of that club will almost certainly be a consortium of fans with a bit of cash, if they have any. That club would have no appeal to any buyers or investors from anywhere else, let's be honest you would need to spend 10s of millions on that club just to get the "stadium" on par with the likes of Shrewsbury or Colchester unless of course they can find another wealthy gem from Jordan.

6 hours ago, Fiale said:

Isn’t the person who recently pulled out of a deal for Yeovil from the US? Rumours probably have surfaced on the strength that he could be looking at another club?

7 hours ago, Fiale said:

Cant see 'US' having an interest, why the **** would we be interested in that lot? 

• Haha 1

Lansdown should buy bristol rovers. Turn them into Bristol City B.

Get rid of their ground and anything to do with rovers. Then we can have lots of youngsters playing for our new B team and in Legaue 2 (by then).  Jobs a good un.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Isn’t the person who recently pulled out of a deal for Yeovil from the US? Rumours probably have surfaced on the strength that he could be looking at another club?

Possibly, I know Rovers will costs a lot of money, but there are people out there who just don't care about costs for one reason or another. Will be interesting to see, their man in London  must be making at least some calls to justify his £250,000

1 hour ago, Fiale said:

Possibly, I know Rovers will costs a lot of money, but there are people out there who just don't care about costs for one reason or another. Will be interesting to see, their man in London  must be making at least some calls to justify his £250,000

My experiences of working with and for American businesses taught me that they focus almost entirely upon the balance sheet. If there is a US businessman/woman out there intent (see what I did there) on buying the 15ers then he/she wont be doing it out of charidee mate; it'll be because they see a money-making opportunity and they'll be super-pleasantly savage in achieving their goals. It won't be pretty from the inside although it could be fun to watch.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

My experiences of working with and for American businesses taught me that they focus almost entirely upon the balance sheet. If there is a US businessman/woman out there intent (see what I did there) on buying the 15ers then he/she wont be doing it out of charidee mate; it'll be because they see a money-making opportunity and they'll be super-pleasantly savage in achieving their goals. It won't be pretty from the inside although it could be fun to watch.

So..Buy the club, sell the assets and move the franchise to Chicago.

Sounds like a plan.

7 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

So..Buy the club, sell the assets and move the franchise to Chicago.

Sounds like a plan.

Buy the club; lose a lot of money; sell the club is one option. Buy the club; lose a lot of money; sell the assets; wind-up the club is another.

I wouldn't see any chance of success for any non fan-led acquisition of the 15ers largely because of the strength of the Bristol Sport business model which has been introduced by SL. He has control of the largest (by far) football team with the most well established academy, Premiership rugby team, Women's Football team and Basketball team. No doubt, over time we'll see the likes of field hockey, netball, ice hockey and other sports added to the portfolio. The revenue raised by Bristol Sport will continue to increase year on year which will feed back into the provision of better training and supporter facilities.We are part of a model unlike any other in the country and I'm very pleased that we are - because I'd hate to be stuck on the outside, looking in and head-butting the windows.

The likelihood of Rovers being able to break out of their current malaise is going to extremely difficult to achieve in a city not renowned for its support of sporting endeavour. An outside investor will have to try to counter that but they will find themselves in an uphill battle. Their team has an ever ageing supporter demographic with fewer youngsters joining its ranks to offset the natural loss of support at the other end of the age scale. Thus income gradually diminishes whilst, on the other side of town, their monolithic rival continues to grow. Any new stadium they build would have limited use other than on match days - concert and corporate venues being preferred at the council owned arena, when it's built (yeah right) or at the arena already planned for construction at AG.

An investor coming in to Rovers would want to do exactly what SL has already done - and this town ain't big enough for two Bristol Sports!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1