IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

36 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I don`t know so much. It`s like the old saying `give a man a fish and he`ll eat for a day, teach him how to fish and he`ll never go hungry`. If they went out of business it would indeed be hilarious for a while but what would we have to take the piss out of afterwards? if they stay around, hanging on by the skin of their teeth, we will be able to have many more years of amusement at their expense - the gift will continue to give, you can be sure of that.

We would find someone else to take the piss out of Gas can die.

• Like 1

Part of me wishes they were in the same league as us and giving us some proper competition.

love or hate it the 89/90 season it  was  brilliant the way we were swapping top spot some weeks and having a real interest on how they were getting on 

ill go and get a very heavy duty tin hat.....

Edited by sticks 1969
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

We would find someone else to take the piss out of Gas can die.

It goes back generations - there are 80/90year old blokes in nursing homes in this City who's Red v Blue rivalry began in the 1940/50s and I'd bet a pound to a penny at some point today in those homes the old banter surfaced once again...

And Red 90 yr olds are still enjoying the upper hand over the Gas that has lasted them a lifetime, 'don't let it die'. (as those of us old enough to remember Hurricane Smith will likely think deep down)

59 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I don`t know so much. It`s like the old saying `give a man a fish and he`ll eat for a day, teach him how to fish and he`ll never go hungry`. If they went out of business it would indeed be hilarious for a while but what would we have to take the piss out of afterwards? if they stay around, hanging on by the skin of their teeth, we will be able to have many more years of amusement at their expense - the gift will continue to give, you can be sure of that.

We’d just take the piss out of Swindon, instead :thumbsup:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

It goes back generations - there are 80/90year old blokes in nursing homes in this City who's Red v Blue rivalry began in the 1940/50s and I'd bet a pound to a penny at some point today in those homes the old banter surfaced once again...

And Red 90 yr olds are still enjoying the upper hand over the Gas that has lasted them a lifetime, 'don't let it die'. (as those of us old enough to remember Hurricane Smith will likely think deep down)

Sorry mate I remember them as equals and sometimes superior (in terms of league position) Whilst I have plenty of gas mates I hope their club goes pop if only for the sake of young people yet to be born in the Bristol area who may have otherwise have been dragged down that shithole.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Local press getting their wires crossed again. Hyatt will take on the running of the Ashton Gate hotel when the development is complete.

Well let's hope so, the prospect of a 'Riot House, Ashton Gate' is rather a compelling one. Invoking the ill-behavior of yer Morrison/Moon/Page/Plant/Hendrix/Richards et al may not sit comfortably with the Bristol Sport image, but would be quite iconic for the kids on the street. I'd stay there. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

One of the things (amongst many) I can`t get my head around is why they have that London office? What benefit can that possibly have for the club?

Imagine the scene .

Mr Wally , we are looking to invest in a club and heard that you have massive loyal support, are loved by the whole world and would like to meet up with you to discuss the project . When can we come to see the club and all it’s facilities ? 

Oh that won’t be necessary come to our London office , it will be much easier for you .

During a video presentation of the ‘ Mem ‘ the potential buyer of the Gas notices the proximity to Brunel’s  famous bridge and is surprised that , although the blue and white quarters are revered throughout the world , the film shows them playing in Red and White.

Well that all seems really fantastic, Mr Wally , we are very interested when can we visit in person ? 

Whenever you want after the sale has gone through .

Job’s a good un ! 

15 hours ago, bert tann said:

Thoughts for today.

There is more (semi) serious discussion of Rovers financial plight on OTIB than on Rovers’ forums because over the past 40 years fans with intellect have gradually drifted away from our club. Back in the 1970’s City and Rovers would have been fairly equal in terms of numbers of supporters  with educational achievement and/or status in business and the Professions but now we are seriously deficient in this respect.

The London office may serve a purpose unconnected with football  but related to Middle Eastern politics. 

Just as the Mem serves a purpose unconnected with football.

:yes:

16 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Local press getting their wires crossed again. Hyatt will take on the running of the Ashton Gate hotel when the development is complete.

I seem to remember Hyatt being mentioned before in relation to the new AG development but can't find the article so may be wrong.

But it makes sense with SL looking for a high end hotel plus a budget one (if there is such a thing in Bristol).

It would be another stick to beat SL with :laughcont:

• Like 1

On 25/05/2019 at 10:21, Eddie Hitler said:

Does £16m look like a reasonable purchase price for a Division 3 club with its own ground worth maybe £12m

It would be interesting to see what the ground valuation is and when it was last reviewed (there are good reasons why regularly reviewing isn't a good idea.)

Clearly there's unlikely to be buyer for a sports stadium so with change of use and consequential CIL and S106 liabilities any gross value might likely be significantly reduced.