IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

6 hours ago, 29AR said:

Tbf I would expect a journo in this instance to know the difference between tax and accounting.  What I read was a shocker, so bad it went beyond explaining

Makes good click-bait though - and that's what it's all about these days.

Wonder if Geoff Twentyman will try to dig out some info for his programme on Thursday?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, In the Net said:

Wonder if Geoff Twentyman will try to dig out some info for his programme on Thursday?

People can bemoan bad journalism all they want,  but it is supply and demand.  Generally people do not want to read a newspaper anymore and many seem to be incapable or unwilling to read past a headline, which in turn creates stuff like this. I'd also argue it's why British society is so divided at the moment.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

People can bemoan bad journalism all they want,  but it is supply and demand.  Generally people do not want to read a newspaper anymore and many seem to be incapable or unwilling to read past a headline, which in turn creates stuff like this. I'd also argue it's why British society is so divided at the moment.

Also, Rovers are plop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, In the Net said:

Yep.

Minimum wagers in their twenties turning out their target half dozen stories a day for clicks.

That's why there are so many "Twitter outrage" stories; you can do those in half an hour without leaving your desk.

Local journalism was killed by a combination of Johnstone Press and the internet. It isn't coming back.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

People can bemoan bad journalism all they want,  but it is supply and demand.  Generally people do not want to read a newspaper anymore...

It isn't 'bad journalism' as for the journalistic element there is none. Its what's know as 'User Generated Content' and the Fourth Estate began to adopt the idea when seeking to unify it's print and digital production platforms. Most let web drive print without transferring journalistic skills across. That's when I jumped ship. Though I hate the rag The Mail did so with great success, others like The Evil simply used it to cut standards and costs.

It's also untrue that people don't want to read content anymore - look at the proliferation of digital written word platforms. Like music and the rest what people don't want to do is pay (directly) for content.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Amazing fan base, the loyalty we've shown since that horrendous relegation to the Conference, the unbelievable away support no matter where in the Country we are, we really deserve better. Not asking for the World, but something, anything to make us feel we're appreciated more than a crap ground with crap facilities.

Which entitled Princess came up with that shit? They’ve got the club and the stadium their fans deserve. ‘Amazing’ ‘loyal’ fanbase who haven’t managed to average over 10k for 4 decades, they don’t even fill the tiny ground they’ve got.

Unbelievable’ away support wherever they are in the country? ?

Yeah right, what about the 600 to Shrewsbury and Charlton, 400 to Barnsley, 300 to Southend, 300 to Bradford and 300 to Scunthorpe all on Saturday afternoons? 

??

Most deluded fanbase in the entire country. 

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Which entitled Princess came up with that shit? They’ve got the club and the stadium their fans deserve. ‘Amazing’ ‘loyal’ fanbase who haven’t managed to average over 10k for 4 decades, they don’t even fill the tiny ground they’ve got.

Yeah right, what about the 600 to Shrewsbury and Charlton, 400 to Barnsley, 300 to Southend, 300 to Bradford and 300 to Scunthorpe all on Saturday afternoons? 

??

Can't imagine the loyal lads and lasses have been breaking down doors to buy season tickets this time round.

Crap football in a crap stadium and no monthly finance scheme in place.

See how loyal they are next season when it gets a bit cold, they are bottom 4 and they have a home game on a Tuesday night.

51 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Blimey, I didn’t know that. I would think that would seriously reduce their number of season card holders. 

Not just them.

Sounds like Zebra Finance withdrew their installments product at short notice, so a club of clubs will be down on season ticket sales.

Some have alternative arrangements in place, some don't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Can't imagine the loyal lads and lasses have been breaking down doors to buy season tickets this time round.

Crap football in a crap stadium and no monthly finance scheme in place.

See how loyal they are next season when it gets a bit cold, they are bottom 4 and they have a home game on a Tuesday night.

Well apparently if Rovers played in the street they’d watch them from the pavements.

Thats what they tell everyone, so I can only assume that their ST sales will go up this year with them being the loyal, much loved superfans that they supposedly are.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

4 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Local journalism was killed by a combination of Johnstone Press and the internet. It isn't coming back.

The Reach Group - formerly Mirror Group Newspapers - makes Johnstone Press look benign.

7 editorial staff now cover 6 Somerset newspapers for them. Only 20 years ago those titles had 35 staff.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Well apparently if Rovers played in the street they’d watch them from the pavements.

Thats what they tell everyone, so I can only assume that their ST sales will go up this year with them being the loyal, much loved superfans that they supposedly are.

Just doesn't apply when they are driving down the street in an open topped bus.

Those pavements were empty!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:
4 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

The Reach Group - formerly Mirror Group Newspapers - makes Johnstone Press look benign.

You ain't kidding. Whisper quietly but sections of The Mirror share desk space and resource with The Daily Express.... 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

You ain't kidding. Whisper quietly but sections of The Mirror share desk space and resource with The Daily Express.... 

Trinity Mirror, now Reach, acquired Express Newspapers recently so definitely sharing resources.

Only 3 regional newspaper players these days, Reach; Johnston Press and Gannett, first two heavily debt burden and open to offers for a fire sale, Gannett financially solid but owned by US group who are struggling, next couple of years will see huge changes and the demise of many local titles.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

It's not even journalism is it, it's just re-active hackery. Any proper journalist would be off his fat arse and get down there to see what exactly is the problem..................unless they know it's a total waste of time trying to get any truth out of those shite hawks !

Its just gossip. Nobody needed to go to university to produce that rubbish. 

4 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

??

As usual POHH, you hit the nail firmly on the head every time [or head butt the window]. Your posts on this subject matter are clear and concise and show you have the necessary knowledge to see straight through the average witless sag intellect. I always look forward to your opinion  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Mattyisared said:

THEIR BEST DEFENDER JUST REJECTED A NEW DEAL TO JOIN DOPEY IN LEAGUE TWO. HOW DO THESE LOT MANAGE TO BE SO EMBARRASSING

I would guess money would be very similar, I would say it says more about his relationship with his boss that he prefers to play with Clarke

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mattyisared said:

THEIR BEST DEFENDER JUST REJECTED A NEW DEAL TO JOIN DOPEY IN LEAGUE TWO. HOW DO THESE LOT MANAGE TO BE SO EMBARRASSING

From the Express and Star

Walsall sign defender James Clarke

Walsall have made their second signing of the summer by swooping to land defender James Clarke from Bristol Rovers.

The 29-year-old has turned down the chance to remain at the Memorial Stadium in favour of a move to the Banks's where he will again team up with manager Darrell Clarke.

Boss Clarke first managed James at Salisbury before then taking him to Rovers in 2015. 

Predominately a centre-half, the defender can play anywhere across the back four and made 48 appearances for the Gas last season. 

The length of his contract is undisclosed. 

“I’m buzzing to be here,” Clarke said. 

"It’s a great project from what the gaffer has explained to me. The club have got lovely training facilities and a great stadium and I am really happy to be here. 

“I am a versatile player. In the last few seasons, I have played across the back four, predominantly as a centre-half, but I can do a job anywhere across the back four. 

“I am somebody who will give everything for the shirt and for the club. 

“In my only season in League Two, I was fortunate enough to be in the gaffer’s side that went up with Bristol Rovers. 

“He knows how to build a good changing room and that is a big part of being successful. 

“We need to kick on in this new era and hopefully it is going to be a positive season.” 

With James Clarke having been offered new terms to remain at Bristol Rovers, Darrell Clarke admitted he was a touch surprised to secure his signature. “I’m pleasantly surprised to be honest with you," the boss said. 

"I didn’t think we would have a chance of getting him. 

“He’s a lad I know very well and he can play anywhere across the back four. He’s more of a centre-half but he’s played a lot of times at right-back. 

“We’re not going to be working with as big a squad this year so it’s important we’ve got players who can fill in a few positions

“He is 100 per cent commitment and it’s about getting the environment right to the football club. 

“He’s quick, strong and uses the ball well. He’s one of the best man-to-man markers from set-pieces I’ve ever worked with; I can’t ever remember his attacker scoring a goal. He’s got all the attributes.”

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, phantom said:

I would guess money would be very similar, I would say it says more about his relationship with his boss that he prefers to play with Clarke

He played for Salisbury when Clarke was there so obviously prefers him to the Irish Saviour

• Like 1