IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Seems the Pikeys are finally waking up to what is happening but a lot of them don't realise that the accounts they've published are up to June 2018. It'll be a whole lot worse by now.

They need to produce a Lloyd Kelly or two from somewhere - then again, they'd probably flog him for £300k...

£300k?  Don't be so ridiculous - we'd let his contract run down, and then he'd go for free. ?☹️

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, In the Net said:

£300k?  Don't be so ridiculous - we'd let his contract run down, and then he'd go for free. ?☹️

There does seem to be a pattern of this - Lockyer and Clark this season isn't it ?

I would think both would be in excess of the fabled 300k ?

18 hours ago, weepywall said:

I really didn't think the Post showed any bias towards the Gas but after reading some of the crap they write about the "tremendous Gas support" they obviously do, the Gas support is average at best and yet they harp on about what amazing support they have, do they really think they are a Leeds, Sheff Wed, Pompey, Sunderland etc those teams have impressive support, our support has been better than the Gas for years but don't think I've heard many City fans claim we have a huge fanbase or massive away support, most City fans have a realistic take on our support and that is our support is fairly average but it is on the increase. They really are the most deluded bunch of fans in the country without a shadow of doubt, embarrassing.

To be fair to them, I don't think they actually started all this "tremendous support" fairytale Jackanory silliness.

As I remember it now, the E. Post initiated this when they left Eastville - because of not owning their own ground, which was a result of insufficient dosh, which was a result of having shite support (which was a result of having a shite team, which was a result of having shite support. Which was .... etc etc) - and trudged over to Bath - a journey of about 9 miles instead of about 4 from the Few "heartlands" to home games so a massive show of faith there (not exactly Brighton playing in Gillingham).

Because everything about Bristol Rovers in 1986 was shite and piss-poor, mundane and about as interesting as Bob Crampton's sex life, the Post felt sorry for them and with nothing good to say about them they came up with the idea that their supporters were in some way "special." 

"There's always been something special about Bristol Rovers" I seem to remember Peter Godsiff writing at the time*. The sort of thing you might say about one of your always overlooked, very ordinary children just to try and encourage them. But Godsiff failed to specify what it was, unsurprisingly, beyond the "homely" and friendly club it was (ie not successful, and not likely to be), and eventually he and the Post settled upon the support being "special," something they absorbed and came to believe themselves.

It's no use pointing out that their crowd was only just over 4k in the last year at Eastville, fewer than what we were getting in the 4th division when we were 92nd for a while. Or anything about their support that is at odds with the "special" narrative. The belief is firmly embedded, over decades now, and the confirmatory evidence is there to be cherry-picked, and the inconvenient facts, the mundane reality, to be firmly dismissed and ignored.

You are wasting your time arguing with believers over stuff like this. 

That going from Eastville to Trumpton was an upgrade - no joking here; Rovers 3k at cavernous Eastville or 3k in tight Trumpton? They could, almost, fill (well, one side) the latter, never the former - certainly no great humbling of once glamorous high-achievers accustomed to more grandiose surroundings, no great step-down, and was barely any different to go from East Bristol to this side of Bath, and they started showing up again when they had a winning team (like any crowd, so therefore: not special), didn't come in to it. Rovers were shite and leaving their shite ground that they didn't own and couldn't fill and it was sad, and they were pathetic, and they needed cheering up/encouraging, and the Post had papers to sell, so let's make something up: their fans are "special" (and please keep buying the Evening Post).

The "special" genie was out of the bottle. And the infatuated Few were not of a mind to attempt putting it back in. From this you get all the "thousands locked out" and "39000" at Wembley (when it was 27k tickets sold, according to Vanarama twitter) and "we'd take more than Arsenal and Chelsea combined" magical thinking.

But don't blame them: pity is more appropriate. Blame the Post, and Peter Godsiff. He did this out of pity; pity and keen journalistic business sense. So pity - and not pointing out facts - is the correct response to Fewers claiming "special" status. "Yes, yes mate: you are so special. So, so very special." "More than Chelsea and Arsenal, yes mate. You would." "Thousands locked out, I know. I remember." "3 thousand for the last game at Eastville....sorry! What am I saying? 44 thousand to Wembley, yes, pretty 'special' that" etc etc.

*at this point, mid 80s, Rovers had, I think, been promoted twice and relegated twice, in their league history. All between the 2nd and 3rd division. No top flight football, no 4th division football. No Cup semi final appearances. One England player, earning one cap. Poor crowds in a dismal ground, with dogs running around it. In other words: the epitome of nothing special. Dull, dull, dull. Probably explains the decision to go with the unusual/comedy kit: the only way anyone outside of Bristol would ever notice or remember them. Nothing they do on the pitch has or will achieve this.

Clearly, this is not a "special" football club, if we are to be adults about this and not children, and so the folly shifts to the idea that the tragic 3k with nothing better to do that now trudge to Bath instead of Eastville - any City fans travelling in from Weston travel twice as far - are themselves "special." And this is still with us today, and there's nothing we can do about it now. 

We'll just have to live with being the better club and team. With more people turning up for games. We'll never be "special" like them.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

To be fair to them, I don't think they actually started all this "tremendous support" fairytale Jackanory silliness.

As I remember it now, the E. Post initiated this when they left Eastville - because of not owning their own ground, which was a result of insufficient dosh, which was a result of having shite support (which was a result of having a shite team, which was a result of having shite support. Which was .... etc etc) - and trudged over to Bath - a journey of about 9 miles instead of about 4 from the Few "heartlands" to home games so a massive show of faith there (not exactly Brighton playing in Gillingham).

Because everything about Bristol Rovers in 1986 was shite and piss-poor, mundane and about as interesting as Bob Crampton's sex life, the Post felt sorry for them and with nothing good to say about them they came up with the idea that their supporters were in some way "special." 

"There's always been something special about Bristol Rovers" I seem to remember Peter Godsiff writing at the time*. The sort of thing you might say about one of your always overlooked, very ordinary children just to try and encourage them. But Godsiff failed to specify what it was, unsurprisingly, beyond the "homely" and friendly club it was (ie not successful, and not likely to be), and eventually he and the Post settled upon the support being "special," something they absorbed and came to believe themselves.

It's no use pointing out that their crowd was only just over 4k in the last year at Eastville, fewer than what we were getting in the 4th division when we were 92nd for a while. Or anything about their support that is at odds with the "special" narrative. The belief is firmly embedded, over decades now, and the confirmatory evidence is there to be cherry-picked, and the inconvenient facts, the mundane reality, to be firmly dismissed and ignored.

That going from Eastville to Trumpton was an upgrade - no joking here; Rovers 3k at cavernous Eastville or 3k in tight Trumpton? They could, almost, fill (well, one side) the latter, never the former - certainly no great humbling of once glamorous high-achievers accustomed to more grandiose surroundings, no great step-down, and was barely any different to go from East Bristol to this side of Bath, and they started showing up again when they had a winning team (like any crowd, so therefore: not special), didn't come in to it. Rovers were shite and leaving their shite ground that they didn't own and couldn't fill and it was sad, and they were pathetic, and they needed cheering up/encouraging, and the Post had papers to sell, so let's make something up: their fans are "special" (and please keep buying the Evening Post).

The "special" genie was out of the bottle. And the infatuated Few were not of a mind to attempt putting it back in. From this you get all the "thousands locked out" and "39000" at Wembley (when it was 27k tickets sold, according to Vanarama twitter) and "we'd take more than Arsenal and Chelsea combined" magical thinking.

But don't blame them: pity is more appropriate. Blame the Post, and Peter Godsiff. He did this out of pity; pity and keen journalistic business sense. So pity - and not pointing out facts - is the correct response to Fewers claiming "special" status. "Yes, yes mate: you are so special. So, so very special." "More than Chelsea and Arsenal, yes mate. You would." "Thousands locked out, I know. I remember." "3 thousand for the last game at Eastville....sorry! What am I saying? 44 thousand to Wembley, yes, pretty 'special' that" etc etc.

*at this point, mid 80s, Rovers had, I think, been promoted twice and relegated twice, in their league history. All between the 2nd and 3rd division. No top flight football, no 4th division football. No Cup semi final appearances. One England player, earning one cap. Poor crowds in a dismal ground, with dogs running around it. In other words: the epitome of nothing special. Dull, dull, dull. Probably explains the decision to go with the unusual/comedy kit: the only way anyone outside of Bristol would ever notice or remember them. Nothing they do on the pitch has or will achieve this.

Clearly, this is not a "special" football club, if we are to be adults about this and not children, and so the folly shifts to the idea that the tragic 3k with nothing better to do that now trudge to Bath instead of Eastville - any City fans travelling in from Weston travel twice as far - are themselves "special." And this is still with us today, and there's nothing we can do about it now. 

We'll just have to live with being the better club and team. With more people turning up for games. We'll never be "special" like them.

Do you mean Peter Godsiff or Robin Perry? Godsiff was the City focussed journo; Perry the 2B15er equivalent. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I seem to recall Radio Bristol adding fuel to the 'massive support' BS the best part of 30 years ago - Colin Howlett would report live from whichever ground they were at that weekend and tell everyone there were thousands of Rovers fans on the away terrace, yet when you watched the highlights on HTV News on the Monday evening there were about three people in it.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

I seem to recall Radio Bristol adding fuel to the 'massive support' BS the best part of 30 years ago - Colin Howlett would report live from whichever ground they were at that weekend and tell everyone there were thousands of Rovers fans on the away terrace, yet when you watched the highlights on HTV News on the Monday evening there were about three people in it.

Exactly how I remember it.

14 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Colin Howlett. Almost forgotten about him.  Forever droning on about Rovers  huuuge travelling support!

1 hour ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

'large contingent' is how he always described it

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

And to think that the 12% drop in revenue follows that period after they had managed to get fancy new turnstiles that stopped people from using duplicate tickets.

Even those who actually paid to go and see them are abandoning them.

The manually operated "automatic turnstiles"?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

would be nice if a clever person could post this on assshat.

• Haha 1

Another issue the sags owners have to contend with is currency fluctuations. I presume the money that has been underwritten by the family is paid through Dibley sports from Jordan therefore it has to be converted from Dinar to Sterling in order to then go on and pay the bills. Every big movement in value can add or subtract thousands of pounds. 

6 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

Another issue the sags owners have to contend with is currency fluctuations. I presume the money that has been underwritten by the family is paid through Dibley sports from Jordan therefore it has to be converted from Dinar to Sterling in order to then go on and pay the bills. Every big movement in value can add or subtract thousands of pounds. 

More worrying would be whether the family loans are secured against the value of their bank stock which has taken a dive since last summer......

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

camels to sterling

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Midlands Robin said:

To be fair, I would assume (hope for their sake!) the family have a decent Private Bank handling their money. If so they should have assets in several different currencies for this exact reason, especially as they have a GBP liability losing money hand over fist!

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

More worrying would be whether the family loans are secured against the value of their bank stock which has taken a dive since last summer......

Good shout! Would be interesting to see!!!

For what it's worth, I've worked in private banking for several years now - every single one who has owned a football club is a multi billionaire. The reason; football clubs are a money pit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cider hoss rules said:

'large contingent' is how he always described it

1 hour ago, RedRaw said:

That’s right. I always assumed he meant Dave, Barry and Nigel from fat club had turned up...

I always thought they were talking about Asia.. 

Or was it  B, C, D, F, G, H, J, K, L, M, N, P, Q, R, S, T, V, X, Z, W, Y.

2 hours ago, Son Of Nob said:

For what it's worth, I've worked in private banking for several years now - every single one who has owned a football club is a multi billionaire. The reason; football clubs are a money pit.

There's always the exception.....

AJIB stock is down over 27% in the last 5 years, 5% this. Continues to rate BB-.  It turns a profit of around £24m a year after tax. Wael has the smallest holding of the brothers , around 4.6% last time I looked and worth somewhere in the region of a 'Kel' (2/3rds of a Kelly or £8m in layman's terms.) His brothers hold slightly greater stock with one exception holding something like 24%. Its a good living but you'll appreciate small fry in banking terms.

They also own significant interests in Jordanian Tourism, but you don't need to have read the papers to understand that isn't what it once was (to put it succinctly....)

They are fvcked ????????

What are will they do when they can no longer use their strange little 82ers insult towards us, because unless someone with a bottomless pit of cash who will gift them a 100k seater stadium that they so obviously deserve for their incredible support then it’s only a matter of time before those administrators will be knocking on that portakabin office of theirs. 

I do love a bit of Karma me, 82 this 82 that, I don’t find it the slightest bit insulting, 1 it was before my time, and 2 it’s great that they think it winds ‘the teds right up’ when imo if we really are only a club that’s 30odd years old then it highlights how shit of a club they are who’s won next to f’all in 130 years ?? weirdo’s.

I hope your poxy club crash and burn, I for one will be p!ssing myself, would not miss you one jot.

Edited by BCFC11
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

They are fvcked ????????

What are will they do when they can no longer use their strange little 82ers insult towards us, because unless someone with a bottomless pit of cash who will gift them a 100k seater stadium that they so obviously deserve for their incredible support then it’s only a matter of time before those administrators will be knocking on that portakabin office of theirs. 

I do love a bit of Karma me, 82 this 82 that, I don’t find it the slightest bit insulting, 1 it was before my time, and 2 it’s great that they think it winds ‘the teds right up’ when imo if we really are only a club that’s 30odd years old then it highlights how shit of a club they are who’s won next to f’all in 130 years ?? weirdo’s.

I hope your poxy club crash and burn, I for one will be p!ssing myself, would not miss you one jot.

I'm old enough to have been through the 1st division and the 1982 crash, but guess what I'm actually proud of what we achieved from those dark days and use the 1982  in one of my passwords, them using 1982 as a insult is a joke coming from the new boys to the league 2015

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ohbasso said:

The whole 82 thing is probably more embarrassing for them now when you think they have to go back 37 years to have any banter over us, anyone under 45 years old really isn’t going to remember it properly let alone get upset by it ?

Sort of reminds of the little mining village where my brother lived in Scotland called Kelty. Another nearby village had basically become a ghost town when their pit closed 60 years ago, and all the inhabitants had moved to Kelty.

It was common to hear people settle arguments by saying to one of these people “what do you know about it? You’re not Kelty”! Even after 60 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

:laugh:, Dibley Sports, nice one!

• Thanks 1