IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

6 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Just done a quick calculation. They`re losing 65k a week and if we got about £1.5m from Posh for Mo that would be enough to cover their losses for getting on for six months.

I bet they wish they had players that were actually worth money rather than ones who just toddle off to Walsall for nothing..

To be fair they did have Matty Taylor who I believe was worth 10 million, can't remember the actual amount he was sold for though !!!????

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Just done a quick calculation. They`re losing 65k a week and if we got about £1.5m from Posh for Mo that would be enough to cover their losses for getting on for six months.

I bet they wish they had players that were actually worth money rather than ones who just toddle off to Walsall for nothing..

They seem to have a habit of letting players contracts run down and leave for nowt.

Or persuade them to stay with a small buy out fee then bitch about a club meeting that fee...

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, weepywall said:

To be fair they did have Matty Taylor who I believe was worth 10 million, can't remember the actual amount he was sold for though !!!????

They got a great deal to be fair, they almost got a full Tilson for him. ?

8 minutes ago, weepywall said:

I`m not sure but I think it was substantially less than £10m. By all accounts, a well run club much further up the football food chain with a cracking stadium and good crowds wanted him so he made his excuses and left. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Imagine how they feel about Posh spending that kind of money. Almost 4 times their record buy maybe. Must be galling for such a big club and its huge fan base.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Imagine how they feel about Posh spending that kind of money. Almost 4 times their record buy maybe. Must be galling for such a big club and its huge fan base.

Might pop over to Delusion Central in a bit to see if they`ve picked up on this latest bit of League 1 transfer news.

• Like 1

After the "Dibley Sports" jokes I watched a couple of Red Dwarf episodes and just realised how fitting the theme song is for the sags. 

The first verse fits the winter months at The Mem pretty well:

"It's cold outside, there's no kind of atmosphere, I'm all alone, more or less..."

• Haha 2

Something like..... 

All locked outside, there's no kind of atmosphere,
I'm in row M, of a tent.
All our team, run away from here,
Poor, poor, poor, no cash anymore .
I want a stand, with a roof not canvas sides,
Drinking fake, fanta pop
Chairman's watch, worth more than the team,
Gas, gas, gas, short on class, class, class
Gas, gas gas, short on class, class, class
Edited by Midlands Robin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Flames 1

On 31/05/2019 at 16:18, Rudolf Hucker said:

Do you mean Peter Godsiff or Robin Perry? Godsiff was the City focussed journo; Perry the 2B15er equivalent. 

I think by this point Godsiff was sports editor, or some loftier position, with Perry covering them and Latham us. As I remember it. Could be wrong. All so very long ago now (although some things still come to mind easily, clearly....) 

I'll get down the central library over the summer and check....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I think by this point Godsiff was sports editor, or some loftier position, with Perry covering them and Latham us. As I remember it. Could be wrong. All so very long ago now (although some things still come to mind easily, clearly....) 

I'll get down the central library over the summer and check....

Godsiff used to cover us but got promoted to sports editor so Latham to over our coverage. This might be a little hazy but, I think there was a falling out between Godsiff and BCFC, over what I cannot say, possibly our negative coverage by the post. Anyway, Godsiff took great delight a little while after, making comparisons between "ragbag Rovers" and the wealthier Bristol City. Please note, we're usually referred by local media as Bristol City, they as the more friendly "Gas", or "The Rovers". He pointed out that we'd paid £275,00 for Bob Taylor and Rovers were managing on free transfers and cast offs. Obviously they went up as champions (Spit) and we were second, even with our massive financial backing. He forgot to mention that their squad was valued at about £4m that season, if I remember correctly. They had a few players that moved on for quite big sums, none other than Nigel Martin (£2m). 

This was about the same time as the EP did another comparison between the two clubs, this time using attendances to point out the narrowing of the gap but, using all attendances not just home attendances. This meant that although our average home attendance was 11,500, theirs was 6,200, when the average for the whole season inc away games, where the attendances were much larger than theirs, it appeared that they were closing the gap. And people say there's no bias in the local press.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

This was about the same time as the EP did another comparison between the two clubs, this time using attendances to point out the narrowing of the gap but, using all attendances not just home attendances. This meant that although our average home attendance was 11,500, theirs was 6,200, when the average for the whole season inc away games, where the attendances were much larger than theirs, it appeared that they were closing the gap. And people say there's no bias in the local press.

When they won div.3 in 89/90 they went up with an average attendance of 6,209.

Their first season in div.2 they averaged 5,932.

Then 5,876

Then 5,752

They must be unique (as they would say) in gaining promotion only for their attendances to actually go down.

(their attendances were as low as 3,200 a couple of years prior to that promotion)

10 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

When they won div.3 in 89/90 they went up with an average attendance of 6,209.

Their first season in div.2 they averaged 5,932.

Then 5,876

Then 5,752

They must be unique (as they would say) in gaining promotion only for their attendances to actually go down.

(their attendances were as low as 3,200 a couple of years prior to that promotion)

I took that as their first season back at level 2, as it stated 1990. If you take the latest average, it states ours as 20,953 from the year 2018, so obviously that's this last season 18/19.  So theirs at 6,209 would have been 90/91, their first year promoted.

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/brir.htm

Edited by Rich
addition

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

I took that as their first season back at level 2, as it stated 1990. If you take the latest average, it states ours as 20,953 from the year 2018, so obviously that's this last season 18/19.  So theirs at 6,209 would have been 90/91, their first year promoted.

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/brir.htm

That is from 17/18.

Our average last season was 21,080

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

That is from 17/18.

Our average last season was 21,080

You are correct, I'm getting my years mixed up as I assumed that site had updated. Not bad average is it? especially if they all turned up. Anyway, I was trying to point out how the EP twisted the figures to show that shower of shyte in a better light.