IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

2 minutes ago, Keith Welch said:

"I started watching Rovers at Eastville. Great time there which went sour at the end as we were forced to leave what was the best site in Bristol of any football stadium. What if we still owned it now! 
We were forced out because we didn't own the site. Exiled for 10 years in Bath we crept back to Bristol as tenants of Bristol Rugby. 
So what did Geoff Dunford ever do for us? L3 Champions beating some other team to it. Promoted to tier 2 with an ex England manager. Every player from that squad went on to play in the top tier of English football. Has any other local team achieved that?
Dunford then achieved the near impossible at that time and we now own a stadium."

Exactly this, I honestly don't know what there moaning about . Massive club.

7 minutes ago, Keith Welch said:

"I started watching Rovers at Eastville. Great time there which went sour at the end as we were forced to leave what was the best site in Bristol of any football stadium. What if we still owned it now! 
We were forced out because we didn't own the site. Exiled for 10 years in Bath we crept back to Bristol as tenants of Bristol Rugby. 
So what did Geoff Dunford ever do for us? L3 Champions beating some other team to it. Promoted to tier 2 with an ex England manager. Every player from that squad went on to play in the top tier of English football. Has any other local team achieved that?
Dunford then achieved the near impossible at that time and we now own a stadium."

Every player from what squad went on to play in the top tier..?

Is that correct..? Incredible if true, but surely not every player in a Bristol Rovers squad went on to play at the top table..?! 

Rather funny that no “current” Rovers player has ever played there.... but is his claim true or is it the usual deluded lies..?! 

10 minutes ago, Keith Welch said:

We were forced out because we didn't own the site - Didn’t they flog it to the Greyhound Co?. Exiled for 10 years in Bath we crept back to Bristol as tenants of Bristol Rugby. 
Dunford then achieved the near impossible at that time and we now (Stole) a stadium."

7 hours ago, richwwtk said:

I would be interested to know just how wide your social circle would need to be to meet three people that moved to Bristol for work, decided to go to both Bristol clubs before choosing one to follow and then all chose the ramshackle bunch.

That Henbury bloke must meet a lot of people!

To be fair my boss did exactly that but it was around 1970 and in all the time I've worked for him all he's ever done is moan about them ??

11 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Every player from what squad went on to play in the top tier..?

Is that correct..? Incredible if true, but surely not every player in a Bristol Rovers squad went on to play at the top table..?! 

Rather funny that no “current” Rovers player has ever played there.... but is his claim true or is it the usual deluded lies..?! 

Don't think so....

https://www.theleaguepaper.com/featured/7722/where-are-they-now-bristol-rovers-division-three-champions-1989-90/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Strange. I’ve seen several (certainly more than 3) away fans describing a visit to the Mem in slightly less favourable terms..! 

For every 3 they claim we probably have 100 new fans who prefer AG as attendances will back up

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Keith Welch said:

Brian Parkin, didn't he go on to play for Man Utd?

Then there was Carl Saunders, he hit the big time when he went on to play for England after his large transfer to Liverpool

Of course Billy Clark was fantastic at Chelsea, didn't he lay on the ball for Di Matteo in the FA Cup final.

Not like the sags to be factually incorrect is it.

As for owning a "stadium" well I know someone who owns a "stadium" which runs stock car and demolition derbies, its a ramshackle dump but he still calls it a stadium. Unlike the sags, he owns it unlike some faceless offshore company hiding behind a veil of secrecy.

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Keith Welch said:

More Gas bullsh.....logic. Try 5 and 3 of those were taken by Francis to QPR (Yates, White, Penrice). Hollowhead played for Wimbledon and guess who ??? QPR and the other one was a decent player Nigel Martyn. The rest disappeared into lower league football.

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Either...they're plastic as **** and will only watch their team if they've got a nice comfy seat to sit in OR those fans don't exist.

That's what I really don't get.

They claim to be the most loyal fans in the world, but at the same time they say that if they had a lovely new stadium, their support would suddenly treble. So basically, two thirds of their supporters will only watch them if they get a nice comfy seat...

#gaslogic

• Like 1

Now Notts county are no longer in the league, who takes over there mantle of oldest club in league? It would seem Stoke (1863) and forest(65) are the main contenders, with Villa, Reading, and Weds not far behind, our neighbours are about 28th(1883)love em or hate em they seem to survive what ever, while MK (2004)AFC WIM(2002)Fleetwood(1997)Newport 1984 and City 1982 are the relative new boys?

• Robin 1

9 minutes ago, Threshermachine said:

Now Notts county are no longer in the league, who takes over there mantle of oldest club in league? It would seem Stoke (1863) and forest(65) are the main contenders, with Villa, Reading, and Weds not far behind, our neighbours are about 28th(1883)love em or hate em they seem to survive what ever, while MK (2004)AFC WIM(2002)Fleetwood(1997)Newport 1984 and City 1982 are the relative new boys?

Rovers have only been a league club since 2015, of that counts..?!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Haha lets not feed the posters insecurities. I really do not get why they think calling us 82 and such is an insult. Quite embarrassing really....

In reality, it just shows that in 37 years we’ve achieved more than they have in 138...

• Like 3