IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 hour ago, Keith Welch said:

"I started watching Rovers at Eastville. Great time there which went sour at the end as we were forced to leave what was the best site in Bristol of any football stadium. What if we still owned it now! 
We were forced out because we didn't own the site. Exiled for 10 years in Bath we crept back to Bristol as tenants of Bristol Rugby. 
So what did Geoff Dunford ever do for us? L3 Champions beating some other team to it. Promoted to tier 2 with an ex England manager. Every player from that squad went on to play in the top tier of English football. Has any other local team achieved that?
Dunford then achieved the near impossible at that time and we now own a stadium."

Is this for real?! Who was the ex-England manager in charge of them in 1990?! And every member of that squad went on to play in the top tier of English football?! Did they?! Which club did David Mehew play for in the top tier?! And Ian Alexander?! And....and....and...and....good grief ... 

48 minutes ago, Threshermachine said:

Now Notts county are no longer in the league, who takes over there mantle of oldest club in league? It would seem Stoke (1863) and forest(65) are the main contenders, with Villa, Reading, and Weds not far behind, our neighbours are about 28th(1883)love em or hate em they seem to survive what ever, while MK (2004)AFC WIM(2002)Fleetwood(1997)Newport 1984 and City 1982 are the relative new boys?

Ha, Brilliant.

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Is this for real?! Who was the ex-England manager in charge of them in 1990?! And every member of that squad went on to play in the top tier of English football?! Did they?! Which club did David Mehew play for in the top tier?! And Ian Alexander?! And....and....and...and....good grief ... 

And Tony Pounder, Big Dev himself, Geoff Twentyman... Of course. If Carlsberg did crap..... 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He means that Gerry the Mullet played for England, I think. 

His players top flight claims is just bollocks..!

2 hours ago, Keith Welch said:

"I started watching Rovers at Eastville. Great time there which went sour at the end as we were forced to leave what was the best site in Bristol of any football stadium. What if we still owned it now! 
We were forced out because we didn't own the site. Exiled for 10 years in Bath we crept back to Bristol as tenants of Bristol Rugby. 
So what did Geoff Dunford ever do for us? L3 Champions beating some other team to it. Promoted to tier 2 with an ex England manager. Every player from that squad went on to play in the top tier of English football. Has any other local team achieved that?
Dunford then achieved the near impossible at that time and we now own a stadium."

Who's the ex England manager? 

• Admin
1 hour ago, Threshermachine said:

Now Notts county are no longer in the league, who takes over there mantle of oldest club in league? It would seem Stoke (1863) and forest(65) are the main contenders, with Villa, Reading, and Weds not far behind, our neighbours are about 28th(1883)love em or hate em they seem to survive what ever, while MK (2004)AFC WIM(2002)Fleetwood(1997)Newport 1984 and City 1982 are the relative new boys?

29 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

I thought the school holidays were the end of next week......

Expect he's bragging about such an amazing post to the rest of his school mates tomorrow 

1 hour ago, Threshermachine said:

great first post .....................*** !

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Rovers have only been a league club since 2015, of that counts..?!

Yep. That went well. 

Probably doesn’t see the irony of his posting. Why Sags should be kept well away from keyboards unless adults are around.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

And Tony Pounder, Big Dev himself, Geoff Twentyman... Of course. If Carlsberg did crap..... 

Devon white did actually play in the prem/division 1 surprisingly good record of goals per game played 9 goals in 16 starts and 9 sub apps , think only him  steve yates , nigel martyn, marcus browning, penrice and hollowhead ever played top level 

1 hour ago, TedBrist0l77 said:

Devon white did actually play in the prem/division 1 surprisingly good record of goals per game played 9 goals in 16 starts and 9 sub apps , think only him  steve yates , nigel martyn, marcus browning, penrice and hollowhead ever played top level 

And I don't think Marcus Browning did either! Vaughan Jones should have.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TedBrist0l77 said:

really? Couldnt be arsed to do a fact check tbh. Dont tell me...QPR? 

9 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Rovers have only been a league club since 2015, of that counts..?!

Spot on; as the criterion for Notts County losing their crown is the loss of continuous league membership then Rovers with their four years' continuous league membership is one of the newest league teams beaten only by Forest Green Rovers.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

really? Couldnt be arsed to do a fact check tbh. Dont tell me...QPR? 

Nope with R*vers, well that’s what they’ll try and make you believe with their ‘say it enough times and it becomes true’ trick.

The gash conveniently forget that our 1976 squad not only went on to play in the Top league but spent four seasons there. In fact it was the 2nd time our club had been in the Top flight. No doubt the tea ladies and ground staff also joined them . 

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Spot on; as the criterion for Notts County losing their crown is the loss of continuous league membership then Rovers with their four years' continuous league membership is one of the newest league teams beaten only by Forest Green Rovers.

Yes, four whole years as a League club. 

Well done them ?

What are we on now? Something like 119 consecutive seasons as a football league club?

Assuming they don’t hilariously drop out of the Football League again, they only have to wait 115 years to match our current tally.  ??

I do love it when some d1ckhead gives me an excuse to point this out.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Yes, four whole years as a League club. 

Well done them ?

What are we on now? Something like 119 consecutive seasons as a football league club?

Assuming they don’t hilariously drop out of the Football League again, they only have to wait 115 years to match our current tally.  ??

I do love it when some d1ckhead gives me an excuse to point this out.

I think most of us would be fairly surprised if they last another 115 WEEKS, let alone years..! 

...and I mean in existence, not just with League status..!

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Did Rovers actually lose their league status..? I know every other club that gets relegated from League 2 does, I’m sure that Rovers’ fans put us well and truly in our place and stopped our celebrations and mockery in their tracks, by clarifying that they’d actually only gone down to “level 5”

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Did Rovers actually lose their league status..? I know every other club that gets relegated from League 2 does, I’m sure that Rovers’ fans put us well and truly in our place and stopped our celebrations and mockery in their tracks, by clarifying that they’d actually only gone down to “level 5”

Division 5 wasn't it?

• Like 1