IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

34 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

....and what about Sheffield FC, the oldest club in the world ... who did they play against?!

Sheffield FC games were played among club members themselves and took the format of “Married v Singles” or “Professionals v the Rest”.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

My lad asked me a good question on this recent it went like this -

“dad, if Notts County are the oldest league club who did they used to play against?”

Its a bit like when Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone - "who did he call?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

He didn’t invent it he stole the idea and patented first.

He never spoke to his wife or mother on the phone ever. Any idea why without googling it? 

They were both ex-directory?

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

There certainly was going back to the 90s Silvio when we were trying to build a network for coaching / spotting schoolboys

Since then I’ve no knowledge 

isn't it something to do with them having a percentage of citys catchment area due to them being partially surrounded by the sea?

seem to recall this being discussed not too long ago and must have been on here as I don't go on other forums

1 minute ago, redsquirrel said:

isn't it something to do with them having a percentage of citys catchment area due to them being partially surrounded by the sea?

seem to recall this being discussed not too long ago and must have been on here as I don't go on other forums

Not sure of the current situation or , the regs etc but back then they certainly had a ‘Centre of excellence in Bath and we’re sweeping up most of  the best kids around Bristol , Bath & South Wales

It didn’t help that the Gas were a bit of a shambles and , post 82 we were still trying to put in place some sort of network to find and develop those up to age of 16 (When YTS was order of the day)   , We had nothing of a structure until JJ came in 

I have a dream.

I have a dream that one day there will be 3 forums. One for the sags, one for us and a third.

The legendary third forum should consist of a community. Sags could talk about Teds and Teds could talk about sags. Sags could pretend to be teds and talk about the sags to teds, and teds could pretend to be sags and talk about teds to the sags. 

The third forum has a wonderful community if you ask me. I mean, the probability of picking a random forum member and them having more than 10 fingers does shoot up dramatically, but they're not a bad bunch really...

7 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not sure of the current situation or , the regs etc but back then they certainly had a ‘Centre of excellence in Bath and we’re sweeping up most of  the best kids around Bristol , Bath & South Wales

It didn’t help that the Gas were a bit of a shambles and , post 82 we were still trying to put in place some sort of network to find and develop those up to age of 16 (When YTS was order of the day)   , We had nothing of a structure until JJ came in 

They've definitely still got a base in Bath. In fact, Louis Carey is the U16 coach there!

12 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

They've definitely still got a base in Bath. In fact, Louis Carey is the U16 coach there!

When I was involved in kids football it was always Southampton snapping up the best kids (Brian Tinnion was involved with them).

I always thought it was a crying shame, these kids who were half decent , getting picked up at ridiculously young ages and in many cases their parents encouraging it.

Let them play with their mates, if they really are good enough the clubs will get them when it matters.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mattyisared said:

I have a dream.

I have a dream that one day there will be 3 forums. One for the sags, one for us and a third.

The legendary third forum should consist of a community. Sags could talk about Teds and Teds could talk about sags. Sags could pretend to be teds and talk about the sags to teds, and teds could pretend to be sags and talk about teds to the sags. 

The third forum has a wonderful community if you ask me. I mean, the probability of picking a random forum member and them having more than 10 fingers does shoot up dramatically, but they're not a bad bunch really...

Should change your forum name to martinlutherkingisared.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

When I was involved in kids football it was always Southampton snapping up the best kids (Brian Tinnion was involved with them).

I always thought it was a crying shame, these kids who were half decent , getting picked up at ridiculously young ages and in many cases their parents encouraging it.

Let them play with their mates, if they really are good enough the clubs will get them when it matters.

We used to live in Southport and my daughter grew up with a group that included Jack Rodwell. He had been signed to Everton at a very early age. He wasn’t allowed to play for the school football team and was exempted from a lot of games lesson activities. Consequently, never experienced the joys of a kickabout with his mates. 

14 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

If anything both City and Rovers fans have some absolute mongs supporting them.

But one thing I'm glad we don't have is a racist sect of fans. I'm gonna throw the gashead line that I know mates who see it all the time in their end behind the goal.

If you are going to make a point about racism and idiotic fans, it's probably best not to use a racist (and insulting to Down's Syndrome) word to describe them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-ouch-30129358

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Should change your forum name to martinlutherkingisared.

If you feel the need to associate MLK with a colour, then you’ve probably missed the whole point of his life..! 

Obviously I'm joking..! (No, not Martin’s brother/sister, Jo..!)

Edited by Bar BS3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Agree with this 100%

My boy will be going into u7's next season and about 5/6 of them have been snapped up by City, all of them aged SIX!! Far too early for them to even understand.

1 hour ago, BS2 Red said:

If you are going to make a point about racism and idiotic fans, it's probably best not to use a racist (and insulting to Down's Syndrome) word to describe them.

Down’s syndrome can’t be insulted but people and their families with downs syndrome could be your frankly insulting and I’ll thought out remarks! They’re a people and tar them with the same brush is disgusting!

1 hour ago, BS2 Red said:

To be fair, that’s a bit like saying that calling someone a

bar-steward (you know what I mean) is actually an accusation of illegitimate parental status at the time of their birth. It’s usually not, and just implies that you think they’re a bit of an arse. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

This was certainly the case in the late 90's. To be fair they didn't get the all of the cream though as City's age groups would regularly spank them.