IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

8 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

i don't think trumpton could hold 10k to be fair

No, but the Memorial ground can, apparently...! Not sure what’s consistently stopping the hordes attending there..?! 

In the 20? Odd years they’ve been back there, I can only remember a handful of occasions where their crowds top 10k. 

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I see that Rovers’ new kit has finally been revealed and in an attempt to seduce their supports and help them forget about the shitstate the club are currently in, its a retro design, “celebrating” 30 years ago, when they had no stadium of their own and were squatting in a different City, in a non league ground. A time that saw them promoted from the level that they are currently playing at, modelled by their new signing who recently helped get their bitter rivals promoted from that division, whilst also scoring for them at Wembley as part of their double winning season. 

Cute, eh...! 

#mindthegap

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

It's nice to know that it still hurts you :)

At the time for me it really hurt. It was the fact that we had thrown the title away when it was in our hands, and fair play Rovers took advantage and won the title, but what followed really made me despise Rovers.

My first recollection of something distasteful about Rovers was after a defeat at Ashton Gate (which was commonplace in the mid 80’s). I was leaving the ground in complete disbelief how we had lost a match to our closest rivals after literally battering them for 90 minutes. I was walking past the Rovers team coach and looked up and Ian Holloway was sat there laughing like a child and pointing at us. He was clearly loving it and was taunting us as we walked past. I thought ‘what an absolute ******* *****’.

Fast forward to 1990 and Rovers beat City convincingly at Trumpton to effectively take the title at the very last moment after City had been at the top for the majority of the season.

Not content with just winning the Championship the people I know (just like Holloway) couldn’t wait to gloat and taunt us. Rather than enjoy it for what it was it was all about ******* City and that was the moment I went from not being to bothered about Rovers to absolutely detesting them, and my feelings have never changed.

I still see the same reaction whenever misfortune of some kind happens to City, and if it’s Rovers who inflict the damage then it’s 10 fold.

I’m not bothered about 1990 any more as we won the League One title without breaking a sweat in 2015 and that truly put that to bed, with the icing on the cake being the previous season watching Rovers fall through the trap door (that one exorcised the ‘taunting’ demons of 1990 and that one will hurt your lot forever). 1982 means nothing either as we have moved on.

Rovers however are stuck in the past. That is all you have got. 1982, 2nd May, Dean Windass, Tote End......all dead and buried like your clubs hopes for the future. Nothing personal Miah as I think you are a decent poster and I know quite a few decent Rovers lads, but nothing would please me more than to see your poxy club go under because of the mentality of your fans base and their “City’s losing” monkey spanking antics.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 3

At the time for me it really hurt. It was the fact that we had thrown the title away when it was in our hands, and fair play Rovers took advantage and won the title, but what followed really made me despise Rovers.

they took advantage alright, by calling off the original fixture due to an ‘unplayable surface’ the fact we were flying on an unbeaten run and they were in a mini slump must have been a coincidence. Not the only time they’ve pulled that stunt. Oh and by the way Bath city played on the unplayable surface the day after our fixture was called off. 

They are a detestable football club

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, old parkender said:

they took advantage alright, by calling off the original fixture due to an ‘unplayable surface’ the fact we were flying on an unbeaten run and they were in a mini slump must have been a coincidence. Not the only time they’ve pulled that stunt. Oh and by the way Bath city played on the unplayable surface the day after our fixture was called off. 

They are a detestable football club

Indeed.

Remember, they’re always the victim...it’s never their fault. They never cheat.....

Grotty little club.

FDB5982E-7C4F-4EBD-B0BC-ECC223914A00.jpeg

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

6 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Indeed.

Remember, they’re always the victim...it’s never their fault.

Grotty little club.

FDB5982E-7C4F-4EBD-B0BC-ECC223914A00.jpeg

When the groundsman was seen watering the pitch in the corner, to make sure it was called off. They received a warning from the FA over that. Like the time at Trumpton when the game was called off due to a flooded corner of the pitch, when the  watermain mysteriously burst just prior to our game, we were flying at the time and they had a couple of injuries. Just shows what a shithouse of a club they are.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

At the time for me it really hurt. It was the fact that we had thrown the title away when it was in our hands, and fair play Rovers took advantage and won the title, but what followed really made me despise Rovers.

My first recollection of something distasteful about Rovers was after a defeat at Ashton Gate (which was commonplace in the mid 80’s). I was leaving the ground in complete disbelief how we had lost a match to our closest rivals after literally battering them for 90 minutes. I was walking past the Rovers team coach and looked up and Ian Holloway was sat there laughing like a child and pointing at us. He was clearly loving it and was taunting us as we walked past. I thought ‘what an absolute ******* *****’.

Fast forward to 1990 and Rovers beat City convincingly at Trumpton to effectively take the title at the very last moment after City had been at the top for the majority of the season.

Not content with just winning the Championship the people I know (just like Holloway) couldn’t wait to gloat and taunt us. Rather than enjoy it for what it was it was all about ******* City and that was the moment I went from not being to bothered about Rovers to absolutely detesting them, and my feelings have never changed.

I still see the same reaction whenever misfortune of some kind happens to City, and if it’s Rovers who inflict the damage then it’s 10 fold.

I’m not bothered about 1990 any more as we won the League One title without breaking a sweat in 2015 and that truly put that to bed, with the icing on the cake being the previous season watching Rovers fall through the trap door (that one exorcised the ‘taunting’ demons of 1990 and that one will hurt your lot forever). 1982 means nothing either as we have moved on.

Rovers however are stuck in the past. That is all you have got. 1982, 2nd May, Dean Windass, Tote End......all dead and buried like your clubs hopes for the future. Nothing personal Miah as I think you are a decent poster and I know quite a few decent Rovers lads, but nothing would please me more than to see your poxy club go under because of the mentality of your fans base and their “City’s losing” monkey spanking antics.

Some footballers and some fans gloat, goes with the territory.

51 minutes ago, Rich said:

When the groundsman was seen watering the pitch in the corner, to make sure it was called off. They received a warning from the FA over that. Like the time at Trumpton when the game was called off due to a flooded corner of the pitch, when the  watermain mysteriously burst just prior to our game, we were flying at the time and they had a couple of injuries. Just shows what a shithouse of a club they are.

Everyone loves a conspiracy theory :)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Rich said:

vile club vile fans cant wait to see them go bust

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Well it didn't do City any harm :)

Times are different. You can't get away with it now like in those days, Miah.

Don't you get resurrected two Leagues below these days or something. So that could mean back to the Conference or maybe even worse.

Still, I'm sure the 30,000 loyal and blue would still turn out on Saturday afternoons

Edited by wendyredredrobin

1 minute ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Times are different. You can't get away with it now like in those days.

Don't you get resurrected two Leagues below these days or something.

City certainly did 'get away with it'. I think I'm right in saying that the rules were changed to prevent other clubs copying City and of course, been changed several times again since.

4 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

City certainly did 'get away with it'. I think I'm right in saying that the rules were changed to prevent other clubs copying City and of course, been changed several times again since.

Didn’t stop your grubby little club sniffing around trying to steal Ashton Gate for naff all at the time though, did it? Morals of an alley cat ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

We did the right moral thing and showed good sense of fair play by relegating ourselves down to the bottom tier if you don’t m8nd

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Unan said:

The only league club with a better ground 70 years ago than now?

I feel quite nostalgic, seeing that. I wouldn't mind a tinpot Bristol Derby again if it meant going there, with room for a decent number of us (ie about half the entire attendance), and a nice boozy, boisterous, noisy march from town up Old Market, then along Stapleton Road for us lot to "announce ourselves". Mind, I'm a bit past all that now.

Going to the other places they have begged/borrowed/stolen since, not in the slightest bit interested. Nor them coming to us. They don't deserve to be/belong in a ground like AG now. 

1989/90 I remember with great affection. Their run of league dominance was all but over by that game in May '90 (the ninth of ten straight unbeaten league games, I believe) and we achieved what we set out to do in August '89 (it was "go up" never "we must be Third Division Champions: that'll be great for our trophy cabinet"). I went to every game that season. Cherished memories.

You could get a good view of the pitch on the Muller Road end, good elevation, and you could barely hear a thing from the Few in the other stand and a half.

The Rovers that picture brings to mind I almost remember with some affection, the Bristol Rovers of 2019 are strangers to me now. They could be any little League One club. If it wasn't for this thread I would know nothing about them.......

6 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

1989/90 I remember with great affection. Their run of league dominance was all but over by that game in May '90 (the ninth of ten straight unbeaten league games, I believe) and we achieved what we set out to do in August '89 (it was "go up" never "we must be Third Division Champions: that'll be great for our trophy cabinet"). I went to every game that season.

Me too - but that May 1990 game at Twerton was hard to take ...

7 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

Good post.

I know a few supporters of that tinpot little outfit and, as long as you don't mention City, they are ok. Of course, I never miss an opportunity to wind them up as it is so easy. As you say, I would really like that shite to go under and leave Bristol to us (nearly there anyway, no one mentions them and Bristol in a football sense).

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Yep. Horrible little tinpot shit of a club.

And their supporters are worse.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Me too - but that May 1990 game at Twerton was hard to take ...

Yes, "was," but I seem to remember being well over it by the time we hammered Blackburn 4:2 about three months later, never mind months later in March '91 (the 5th, wasn't it?)

It was hard then but 30 years on, do we really all hanker after another Div 3 title to add to our "honours?" A big deal for them, we walk in bigger shoes than that now though.

1 minute ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Yes, "was," but I seem to remember being well over it by the time we hammered Blackburn 4:2 about three months later, never mind months later in March '91 (the 5th, wasn't it?)

It was hard then but 30 years on, do we really all hanker after another Div 3 title to add to our "honours?" A big deal for them, we walk in bigger shoes than that now though.

Yep, good points, but our last proper achievement was the Div 3 title - and we waited 60 years for that, so I’d never dismiss winning the third tier as anything but a very special moment - the only proper ‘honour’ won by Bristol City in my lifetime ...

2 hours ago, Rich said:

When the groundsman was seen watering the pitch in the corner, to make sure it was called off. They received a warning from the FA over that. 

I remember their then stadium manager Ian Holtby smirking knowingly at the camera, as he described his disappointment at the postponement.

Strangely it wasn't mentioned in that local news item that Stockport staff had actually seen the pitch being watered when they arrived for the game! 

I wonder what became of Holtby? He seemed such a trustworthy fellow. 

28 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Good post.

I know a few supporters of that tinpot little outfit and, as long as you don't mention City, they are ok. Of course, I never miss an opportunity to wind them up as it is so easy. As you say, I would really like that shite to go under and leave Bristol to us (nearly there anyway, no one mentions them and Bristol in a football sense).

Yep. Horrible little tinpot shit of a club.

And their supporters are worse.

I'm struggling to think of any other club in the Football League that has such an odd fanbase (what other fans would go up to a 7-year-old kid on holiday wearing his City kit and shout 'sheed' in his face? - bizarre behaviour!) - I would wish them to end up in the Southern League or something but the teams in there don't deserve to endure that 'privilege'  

36 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

I remember their then stadium manager Ian Holtby smirking knowingly at the camera, as he described his disappointment at the postponement.

Strangely it wasn't mentioned in that local news item that Stockport staff had actually seen the pitch being watered when they arrived for the game! 

I wonder what became of Holtby? He seemed such a trustworthy fellow. 

Medical based drama on the BBC?

16 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

I'm struggling to think of any other club in the Football League that has such an odd fanbase (what other fans would go up to a 7-year-old kid on holiday wearing his City kit and shout 'sheed' in his face? - bizarre behaviour!) - I would wish them to end up in the Southern League or something but the teams in there don't deserve to endure that 'privilege'  

That doesn’t surprise me at all. I can recall at least 3 40 plus year old Sags saying something similar to me around the age of 12. I was stunned. Proper venomous too. Never known anything like it. 

Find me a Rovers fan who say’s they are not jealous of City and I’d bet my house on it that the are lying. If the shoe was on the other foot I would be envious of a Rovers being in a decent stadium, playing football in the Championship with crowds of 20k+ seeing players of quality being bought and sold for millions with the slight glimmer of hope of reaching the premier league still a possibility. But they just can’t bring themselves to admit it. They won’t go to ‘Trashton Gate’ even to watch a rugby game. They can’t wear anything with red in it and can never take any friendly banter. Some can take it in small doses but it doesn’t take long before they start seething. I don’t even bother mentioning it anymore to some of the people that I know because it just isn’t worth falling out over. Their wish is to finish one place above City and they are as happy as you like. Shot away.