IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

Just now, LilRascal said:

Hmmmm - Fruit Market in St Philipp’s Marsh - surrounded by high flood risk zone on all sides. That’ll be easy and quick to get past the lightening quick Environment Agency for planning approval. Years I’d suggest. 

4928465B-78A5-4517-B83E-864FD113B9B9.png

Well, they are partial to flooding their pitch when it suits 

• Haha 1

If the Bristol Arena project was dropped on the grounds that the site is more useful for business and accommodation, and that the infrastructure of the area would need massive investment, there is no way that a new stadium planning application would be approved.

Unless, of course, high level corruption was involved :whistle2:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Okay, it's the component parts of Bristol Sport that could be described as such then, in fact I think I have even heard Lansdown describe them as such (albeit things like the basketball) City may or may not be a franchise, and if I were a City fan, I probably wouldn't give two ***** whether they are or not. However, if calling City fans 'Franchise' is known to annoy some City fans, I'm sure you will hear a lot more of it!

MK Dons are referred to as ‘the franchise’. The reason for this is because they were  moved from one City to a different City for financial purposes. Very much like American Football teams hence the ‘franchise’ nickname.

Rovers fans appear to label us a franchise because our owner also finances other sporting clubs. I don’t know if the Glazers still own them but are Man Utd also a ‘franchise’?

In the bizarre World of a Sag we are a franchise but MK Dons aren’t. Rovers have themselves moved out of Bristol in the past and recently tried to move out of Bristol again. In sporting terms Rovers are more of a franchise than we have ever been.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, myol'man said:

If the Bristol Arena project was dropped on the grounds that the site is more useful for business and accommodation, and that the infrastructure of the area would need massive investment, there is no way that a new stadium planning application would be approved.

We are talking about two different sites albeit the Arena island and fruit market sites are close. The problem with the arena site was that there was one road in/out and next to no parking provision although plenty of central parking within a 10/15 minute walk.

the problem with the fruit market site is general access and infrastructure for a football stadium in an area that is planned and already being developed as housing/commercial.

the sags seem to suggest the council are “on board” yet seem to forget that the council has never turned down any previous stadium application. They have fallen through usually because they have been pie in the sky, no finance and/or third party objectors.....the latter sounding like their biggest issue this time round.

thats assuming the latest “saviours” are real/have the right intentions 

40 minutes ago, myol'man said:

I’m no expert but it looks like a huge amount has gone on behind the scenes over the last year and I wouldn’t be surprised to see this all go through. I believe the whole area is due for serious redevelopment over the next 10 years. Getting planning for a stadium now should be a walk in the park compared to other areas of the city where people already live. The fact it’s close to Temple Meads must also give it some viability. 

The Council are obviously on board and IF the Gas have found a few individuals with plenty of cash there’s no reason for this to fail.

However, they will never have what we have no matter how much they pretend otherwise. For a club whose fans bang on and on about ‘soul’, ‘character’ and (most of all) ‘history’ their new stadium will have none of that. Yes it will be 100 times better than the Mem but it won’t be like Ashton Gate is to us and our football club. A stadium with soul, character and over a Century of history.

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 08:36, TomF said:

Charles Saunders? Moved out not too long ago. The recycling plant opposite is more fitting for them.  The whole area is still a congested hell hole. Build a stadium there, nope. 

they really are stigs of the dump,what could be more fitting.

18 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

We are talking about two different sites albeit the Arena island and fruit market sites are close. The problem with the arena site was that there was one road in/out and next to no parking provision although plenty of central parking within a 10/15 minute walk.

the problem with the fruit market site is general access and infrastructure for a football stadium in an area that is planned and already being developed as housing/commercial.

the sags seem to suggest the council are “on board” yet seem to forget that the council has never turned down any previous stadium application. They have fallen through usually because they have been pie in the sky, no finance and/or third party objectors.....the latter sounding like their biggest issue this time round.

thats assuming the latest “saviours” are real/have the right intentions 

The highlighted bit is where there is a problem imo.

21 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Getting planning for a stadium now should be a walk in the park compared to other areas of the city where people already live. The fact it’s close to Temple Meads must also give it some viability. 

I’ll remind you of a recent scheme that gained planning permission, funded by a billionaire that was to be built on an ex landfill site on the edge of town that only semi affected a couple of dozen houses which ultimately failed.

as I said before, even with funding and council backing....they’re biggest battles will be third party objectors on various counts.

temple meads close by didn’t help the original arena scheme

I am amazed at the number of you who think a stadium in the site of the fruit market is a non starter.

It was previously touted by the council as a possible home for both local clubs to share.

The mysterious consortium is apparently made up of one (or more) property developers, who, if they have either the funds, or access to the funds to build a stadium must surely know their sector as well as anyone, and if they think it has legs, they are probably more likely to know when a scheme has potential than any of us.

Also, does the amended Wally filed at Companies House a few months back (that the Fewers never noticed) mean he can sell his holding, but retain an investment which will likely give him some position going forward? Life vice president or something.

5 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Okay, it's the component parts of Bristol Sport that could be described as such then, in fact I think I have even heard Lansdown describe them as such (albeit things like the basketball) City may or may not be a franchise, and if I were a City fan, I probably wouldn't give two ***** whether they are or not. However, if calling City fans 'Franchise' is known to annoy some City fans, I'm sure you will hear a lot more of it!

You think it bothers us in the slightest? It's comical, absolutely comical that the nomadic 'steal from their own mother' pinpot outfit that you support throw around a term that you don't know the meaning of....hysterical. And just one of the many, many reasons that you continue to push this thread towards 1100 pages. If you just concentrated on getting your own house/affairs in order...

#thegiftthatkeepsgiving

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

I’ll remind you of a recent scheme that gained planning permission, funded by a billionaire that was to be built on an ex landfill site on the edge of town that only semi affected a couple of dozen houses which ultimately failed.

as I said before, even with funding and council backing....they’re biggest battles will be third party objectors on various counts.

temple meads close by didn’t help the original arena scheme

As I say I’m not an expert but wasn’t the original arena scheme binned because the Council effectively decided they didn’t want to pay for it? (That may not have been the official line of course but that’s what was suggested)

This stadium, ‘the Fruit Bowl’ or whatever cringy name they’ll call it, will be funded by outside investment. The Council would love that surely?

Im not sure what third party objectors there could be around there? Like I say I think the whole area is up for regeneration.

20 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

As I say I’m not an expert but wasn’t the original arena scheme binned because the Council effectively decided they didn’t want to pay for it? (That may not have been the official line of course but that’s what was suggested)

This stadium, ‘the Fruit Bowl’ or whatever cringy name they’ll call it, will be funded by outside investment. The Council would love that surely?

Im not sure what third party objectors there could be around there? Like I say I think the whole area is up for regeneration.

The Fruit Bowl. Like it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

In terms of a commercial redevelopment then no problem but when you factor in large cash draining construction that doesn’t generate the returns that other industry’s would it seems odd. 

That said theyre still staring at about 100 million to get in a fully built stadium with infrastructure.

That’s  whilst their loosing 3 million a year

8 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Just out of interest, what do you think a franchise is then?

an authorization granted by a government or company to an individual or group enabling them to carry out specified commercial activities, for example acting as an agent for a company's products.
"Toyota granted the group a franchise"

23 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Yes, regeneration but not of the football stadium type. The council plans include housing, student flats and light industrial. 

As for the original arena, The money was already in place and budgeted, the initial delay was due to the rising construction cost due to the council, well Marvin, dragging his feet. The arena construction company offered to build it at a fixed price but Marv had already fell into the Malaysian money pit.

They have offered to pay for it and of course taken the ongoing profits but not before Bristol/south glos pay for the £100 million infrastructure required. Not such a good deal then. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

It just makes your massive fanbase sound even thicker than normal . Therefore carry on using it 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Bristol Sport is in effect an overarching management company that provides common services to the football, rugby and basketball operations. A lot more efficient than each doing its own thing.

I'm surprised somebody of your obvious intelligence could look at the definition of franchise and conclude that Bristol Sport is one.

Not that it matters but it is rather pathetic that Gasheads cling on to franchise as a term of abuse because they are so far behind in every respect.

Still, unique kit, most loyal fanbase, loved by the fans of every other club etc. etc.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Bristol Sport is in effect an overarching management company that provides common services to the football, rugby and basketball operations. A lot more efficient than each doing its own thing.

I'm surprised somebody of your obvious intelligence could look at the definition of franchise and conclude that Bristol Sport is one.

Not that it matters but it is rather pathetic that Gasheads cling on to franchise as a term of abuse because they are so far behind in every respect.

Still, unique kit, most loyal fanbase, loved by the fans of every other club etc. etc.

Well quite. Bristol Sport is the servant, not the master.