IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The good news is GGMI I heard Wael and Hamer were being show around the Fruit market last week 

He was shown a large warehouse and asked

‘What’s that for’

The Fruit market Manager replied

‘Turnips , ....room for up to 5000 Turnips in there’

Wael turns to Hamer and is heard to say ‘Good news no planning permission required  as no change of use ‘

I always thought it was Mushrooms that were kept in the dark and fed shite.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Boring Sag said:

I was on this forum a few months ago, Aprilish under the name "Bodin." I'm more the debating type if anything, but I was told this forum wasn't the place to rationally debate City fans because it's intended to irrationally take the piss and nit-pick over everything the Gas does so I left. But if by playing nice you mean am I going to go guns blazing like Gas we go in marching or whatever his name is has, then unfortunately I'm not the sort, I know City are a bigger club than us and have a better set up than we'll ever have. I just came here to ask a question that not only undermines Rovers, but the whole football fan experience. I've seen a lot of criticism for the way some of the Rovers fans acted yesterday, I thought a lot of it was disgusting. I made the personal choice to respect what Taylor accomplished for the club and why he left, even if I still don't understand his logic behind the timing of the move, and so I didn't boo and I clapped him when he clapped us whilst going off the pitch. But I see a lot of generalisation of this forum that the actions of a few idiots on Gaschat, twitter, and at the Mem reflect the ideologies of all our fans. And in fact we've been one of the biggest critics of this as a fanbase. 

A City fan on Facebook posted regarding Junior Agogo's death "What will his funeral song be? Wake me up before Agogo?" The post received 18 likes I believe. Meanwhile, on this forum a lot of you posted praising Agogo and respecting his death, something which was very sincere. In the same way City fans have a few idiots but the large majority are completely different, the same is true for Rovers. Like I said this isn't even a Rovers or a City issue really, the actions of a few idiots give a false impression of what the majority of the fanbase is like. 

The too long didn't read version is, the actions of a couple Rovers fans don't reflect the actions and ideologies of the Rovers fanbase as a whole. 

Welcome.

In keeping with the spirit of your post, do you think Rovers will be playing football in a new stadium at the fruit market 2 years from now?

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

Welcome.

In keeping with the spirit of your post, do you think Rovers will be playing football in a new stadium at the fruit market 2 years from now?

Whilst I do think there is a possibility, I'd say perhaps 45% at the moment that Rovers will, say, get a new stadium in the next 10 years, perhaps at the fruit market, perhaps elsewhere, I think the 2 year target set by Wael is actually quite laughable. It'll take at least 5-7 if it happens, which I'm not too sure it will. I've always been one to be optimistic rather than pessimistic but there's only a certain amount of times you can believe new stadium rumours before severe scepticism sets in. 

7 minutes ago, Boring Sag said:

I was on this forum a few months ago, Aprilish under the name "Bodin." I'm more the debating type if anything, but I was told this forum wasn't the place to rationally debate City fans because it's intended to irrationally take the piss and nit-pick over everything the Gas does so I left. But if by playing nice you mean am I going to go guns blazing like Gas we go in marching or whatever his name is has, then unfortunately I'm not the sort, I know City are a bigger club than us and have a better set up than we'll ever have. I just came here to ask a question that not only undermines Rovers, but the whole football fan experience. I've seen a lot of criticism for the way some of the Rovers fans acted yesterday, I thought a lot of it was disgusting. I made the personal choice to respect what Taylor accomplished for the club and why he left, even if I still don't understand his logic behind the timing of the move, and so I didn't boo and I clapped him when he clapped us whilst going off the pitch. But I see a lot of generalisation of this forum that the actions of a few idiots on Gaschat, twitter, and at the Mem reflect the ideologies of all our fans. And in fact we've been one of the biggest critics of this as a fanbase. 

A City fan on Facebook posted regarding Junior Agogo's death "What will his funeral song be? Wake me up before Agogo?" The post received 18 likes I believe. Meanwhile, on this forum a lot of you posted praising Agogo and respecting his death, something which was very sincere. In the same way City fans have a few idiots but the large majority are completely different, the same is true for Rovers. Like I said this isn't even a Rovers or a City issue really, the actions of a few idiots give a false impression of what the majority of the fanbase is like. 

The too long didn't read version is, the actions of a couple Rovers fans don't reflect the actions and ideologies of the Rovers fanbase as a whole. 

Welcome. It would be nice if we could actually debate reasonably. We get some Gasheads on here who are valued contributors like @Miah Dennehy for example. Hopefully, it will be the same with you. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Boring Sag said:

You hit the nail on the head when you said it’s a football thing, it’s just the way it is. Those mentioning whatever it may be, know it’s not the majority.

In all seriousness though, you lot despite what you claim to be, seem to have more incidents than most clubs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

You hit the nail on the head when you said it’s a football thing, it’s just the way it is. Those mentioning whatever it may be, know it’s not the majority.

In all seriousness though, you lot despite what you claim to be, seem to have more incidents than most clubs.

Of course, but I do believe we have a reputation for that kind of thing. I'll just give you two examples. Millwall and Chelsea. Chelsea are renowned as a club with racist supporters, this is largely due to a few very prominent events that have "blown up" in a sense, primarily the incident with PSG fans in Paris in 2015, and the much more recent racial abuse of Raheem Sterling. Both were caught on camera so both are famous. But I don't believe the narrative that Chelsea are the club with the most racist fans in the Premier League, because, say, a player might get racially abused by say, a Leicester fan, it's just as bad as what he did, but if it's not caught on camera, no one will talk about it. And since Chelsea have a reputation, newspaper articles know that a racist Chelsea fan headline will get more clicks than if it was say, Newcastle or Watford. So I do think it's really hard to determine how many incidents there are, especially since I was shocked to learn Chelsea (from 2014-18) had nearly the racial abuse arrests that Manchester United had, who aren't regarded as racist a fanbase. The exact same's true for Millwall, I've gone to the Mem and seen Millwall get treated unlike any fanbase I'd ever seen in terms of police, stewards etc. because they have a reputation for violence. A millwall fan being violent will get much more coverage than a Brentford fan. Even if the Brentford fan behaves much worse. Rovers do have a, unfortunate but earned reputation, although not as extreme as either Millwall or Chelsea, for being horse punchers and attacking rival players, but I do believe that because of that anything we do in the future will be escalated, I think is the word. You're probably right though, but I don't believe it'd be as many incidents as you think, and I think other clubs, i.e. those without a reputation, might have more incidents than you think. If you understand what I'm saying. 

20 minutes ago, Boring Sag said:

I think a bit of leg pulling either way is fair game,but disappointed to think any City fans would mock Junior's death.All clubs of course have fans with "dubious judgement",not that I am defending them with regard to Junior.Lots of fans on here enjoy the input of fans from other clubs.I think OTIB is all the better for having objective opinion from fans of rival clubs.

Of course, but I do believe we have a reputation for that kind of thing. I'll just give you two examples. Millwall and Chelsea. Chelsea are renowned as a club with racist supporters, this is largely due to a few very prominent events that have "blown up" in a sense, primarily the incident with PSG fans in Paris in 2015, and the much more recent racial abuse of Raheem Sterling. Both were caught on camera so both are famous. But I don't believe the narrative that Chelsea are the club with the most racist fans in the Premier League, because, say, a player might get racially abused by say, a Leicester fan, it's just as bad as what he did, but if it's not caught on camera, no one will talk about it. And since Chelsea have a reputation, newspaper articles know that a racist Chelsea fan headline will get more clicks than if it was say, Newcastle or Watford. So I do think it's really hard to determine how many incidents there are, especially since I was shocked to learn Chelsea (from 2014-18) had nearly the racial abuse arrests that Manchester United had, who aren't regarded as racist a fanbase. The exact same's true for Millwall, I've gone to the Mem and seen Millwall get treated unlike any fanbase I'd ever seen in terms of police, stewards etc. because they have a reputation for violence. A millwall fan being violent will get much more coverage than a Brentford fan. Even if the Brentford fan behaves much worse. Rovers do have a, unfortunate but earned reputation, although not as extreme as either Millwall or Chelsea, for being horse punchers and attacking rival players, but I do believe that because of that anything we do in the future will be escalated, I think is the word. You're probably right though, but I don't believe it'd be as many incidents as you think, and I think other clubs, i.e. those without a reputation, might have more incidents than you think. If you understand what I'm saying. 

I think part of the problem, is that there are so few* of you. Therefore, every incident in magnified.

*That is me both praising your recognition, whilst simultaneously mocking you.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Slacker said:

I think a bit of leg pulling either way is fair game,but disappointed to think any City fans would mock Junior's death.All clubs of course have fans with "dubious judgement",not that I am defending them with regard to Junior.Lots of fans on here enjoy the input of fans from other clubs.I think OTIB is all the better for having objective opinion from fans of rival clubs.

Every fanbase does unfortunately have fans like that though. On Gaschat the other day there was a fan who I believe mocked the fact that a cricket commentator who criticised Rovers (not sure who precisely, as I hadn't heard of him nor do I watch cricket) had I believe gone through periods of depression and contemplation about suicide. I think it's a perfect example of dubious judgement, because he did seem to sincerely regret his comment. But something like that is not only offensive towards the cricket commentator personally, but also to anyone who has gone through (unfortunately like me) who have gone through similar experiences. I wish we could kick all these fans, not only him and the City fans who mocked Junior's death, but also every fan like that of every fanbase, out of football, but it's an impossible task I believe. 

12 minutes ago, Boring Sag said:

Welcome @Boring Sag. I remember you coming on in your previous guise as Bodin and you got a few pelters!

In response to your viewpoint I agree that every club has them, but from my own personal experience I have seen quite a few Rovers who are like it. 

It seems to me that where Rovers are concerned you have a mob of 50+ in terms of age that are still stuck in the 1970’s when the Tote End existed and they lived for the ‘Aggro’ because let’s face it the football was pretty dire at Rovers during the late 70’s and the rage was even greater when City went up to the First.

There is also a younger element who think they are Tote Enders too, even though they have only ever seen IKEA.

There are fans that only care about watching their club play but there is always that element goading you all to hate the shit and I mean really hate the shit. Those are the ones who are riddled with envy about everything Bristol City. They won’t wear anything red, they worship Dean Windass and they firmly believe that we were formed in 1982. 

Fair play to you for clapping Matty Taylor for what he did for Rovers, which was massive, helping them climb out of the dustbin and back into League One. 

At the end of the day he took an opportunity to earn a lot more money for himself and his family (like any player would). Yes, the “Welcome to Bristol” thing ruffled a few feathers, but it’s all banter at the end of the day. The over the top aggressive and threatening behaviour is a step too far, but everyone knew it was going to happen as soon as he signed for Oxford.

The problem I have with Rovers fans is that they never accept that they cause problems. They are always playing the victim and it is always the ‘Teds’ who are to blame.

I don’t think any club can ever stamp out over-reactions by mindless numbskulls, but it’s not a football problem, it’s a society problem and social media has made it worse in my opinion.

I’ve seen the comment about Agogo. Absolutely disgraceful. The world is going mad.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I think part of the problem, is that there are so few* of you. Therefore, every incident in magnified.

*That is me both praising your recognition, whilst simultaneously mocking you.

I agree. It's much more magnified than say if the same number of fans did it at Manchester United. But for certain clubs I don't think it's the case, like Chelsea for example. Chelsea have a bigger fanbase than Leicester but the 14-18 racial arrests showed (if I'm right from memory) that Leicester had more. Regarding Rovers though I think you're right, but it is still a very small portion of the overall fanbase. 

Every fanbase does unfortunately have fans like that though. On Gaschat the other day there was a fan who I believe mocked the fact that a cricket commentator who criticised Rovers (not sure who precisely, as I hadn't heard of him nor do I watch cricket) had I believe gone through periods of depression and contemplation about suicide. I think it's a perfect example of dubious judgement, because he did seem to sincerely regret his comment. But something like that is not only offensive towards the cricket commentator personally, but also to anyone who has gone through (unfortunately like me) who have gone through similar experiences. I wish we could kick all these fans, not only him and the City fans who mocked Junior's death, but also every fan like that of every fanbase, out of football, but it's an impossible task I believe. 

Marcus Trescothick I believe.Keynsham born England international who gave up international cricket due to mental health issues.An awful thing,Good luck with your fight with it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slacker said:

Marcus Trescothick I believe.Keynsham born England international who gave up international cricket due to mental health issues.An awful thing,Good luck with your fight with it.

It's all thankfully in the past. But seeing someone say such an unkind thing, especially something I've gone through, not really sure how else to put it but, sucked. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SirColinOfMansfield said:

Is there any chance that somebody could get Jake's dad to sign up on here? That really would be the icing on the cake …

jakesdad.thumb.jpg.12512545f62e1193cb7e6fa9ab4ad022.jpg

Given the fact we haven't spent a single year in our history in the top flight of English football, I'm genuinely in shock that he believed that haha

It's all thankfully in the past. But seeing someone say such an unkind thing, especially something I've gone through, not really sure how else to put it but, sucked. 

On a more serious note, if you do feel the need to reach out, I'm pretty much 100% convinced that colours won't matter, and if you find comfort and solace from a chat with anyone on here, you'll get the support you need.

• Like 8
  • Robin 1

4 minutes ago, Boring Sag said:

I find the best thing is just to put it down to ignorance rather than malevolence.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

Welcome @Boring Sag. I remember you coming on in your previous guise as Bodin and you got a few pelters!

In response to your viewpoint I agree that every club has them, but from my own personal experience I have seen quite a few Rovers who are like it. 

It seems to me that where Rovers are concerned you have a mob of 50+ in terms of age that are still stuck in the 1970’s when the Tote End existed and they lived for the ‘Aggro’ because let’s face it the football was pretty dire at Rovers during the late 70’s and the rage was even greater when City went up to the First.

There is also a younger element who think they are Tote Enders too, even though they have only ever seen IKEA.

There are fans that only care about watching their club play but there is always that element goading you all to hate the shit and I mean really hate the shit. Those are the ones who are riddled with envy about everything Bristol City. They won’t wear anything red, they worship Dean Windass and they firmly believe that we were formed in 1982. 

Fair play to you for clapping Matty Taylor for what he did for Rovers, which was massive, helping them climb out of the dustbin and back into League One. 

At the end of the day he took an opportunity to earn a lot more money for himself and his family (like any player would). Yes, the “Welcome to Bristol” thing ruffled a few feathers, but it’s all banter at the end of the day. The over the top aggressive and threatening behaviour is a step too far, but everyone knew it was going to happen as soon as he signed for Oxford.

The problem I have with Rovers fans is that they never accept that they cause problems. They are always playing the victim and it is always the ‘Teds’ who are to blame.

I don’t think any club can ever stamp out over-reactions by mindless numbskulls, but it’s not a football problem, it’s a society problem and social media has made it worse in my opinion.

I’ve seen the comment about Agogo. Absolutely disgraceful. The world is going mad.

Yeah no I 100% agree. Especially with the acting like it was City fans pretending to be us mindset, I can't understand it. This is a genuine question but have there even been any examples ever of the fan of a rival club doing something bad whilst posing as a fan of that rival's club just to make them look bad. It just seems, so redundant. 

Also regarding Taylor, I understood why he chose the move but for me I never understood the timing. You had Tammy Abraham on fire, I know he would have wanted to be competitive but I think it was blindingly obvious he wasn't going to be a starter for you at that point in time unless you played a two striker system just because of how well Abraham was doing. It would've made much more sense, in my opinion, to have waited until the end of the season, where he would have likely finished as League One top goalscorer, and have been touted as Abraham's replacement rather than signing, Diedhiou? Is that his name? I just think that would have been a scenario that made much more sense. And if the issue was money, if that scenario played out as it had, than he likely would have been paid more than when he was signed as second choice in January

28 minutes ago, Boring Sag said:

This isn’t a dig at yourself and I totally get where your coming from re reputations etc but I only mentioned a couple of days or so ago on here about all what goes on at your lot, and how whatever it maybe rarely gets any further than Bristol, and that if more people knew the things that your club or fans come out with, you’d no doubt be the nations laughing stock.

As for Rovers having a reputation, are you  sure about that? I’ve never known you to have one, not outside of this fine City anyway, you do have a few then.

22 minutes ago, Boring Sag said:

Yeah no I 100% agree. Especially with the acting like it was City fans pretending to be us mindset, I can't understand it. This is a genuine question but have there even been any examples ever of the fan of a rival club doing something bad whilst posing as a fan of that rival's club just to make them look bad. It just seems, so redundant. 

Also regarding Taylor, I understood why he chose the move but for me I never understood the timing. You had Tammy Abraham on fire, I know he would have wanted to be competitive but I think it was blindingly obvious he wasn't going to be a starter for you at that point in time unless you played a two striker system just because of how well Abraham was doing. It would've made much more sense, in my opinion, to have waited until the end of the season, where he would have likely finished as League One top goalscorer, and have been touted as Abraham's replacement rather than signing, Diedhiou? Is that his name? I just think that would have been a scenario that made much more sense. And if the issue was money, if that scenario played out as it had, than he likely would have been paid more than when he was signed as second choice in January

We bought Taylor as backup and to help lift the mood around the club because we had been on an abysmal run of results that was edging us closer and closer to League One.

The pressure had also been on Lee Johnson so it was a win win for the club in so much as they could buy a proven League One goalscorer for peanuts, take the pressure off Lee and lift the mood around the club.

It worked too because we stayed up. 

It must have felt shit for Rovers fans, but at the same time it could have been worse if Taylor hadn’t signed a new contract to guarantee at least some money for Rovers (unlike Lockyer).

I think that Rovers fans were over-optimistic thinking that keeping Taylor would have helped them to reach the Championship. I don’t think that Rovers were good enough for the Championship, even with Taylor leading the line, but we’ll never know?

The timing, plus the banter from City proved too much for some Gasheads and it became a personal attack on Taylor which is shocking, but in 1982 some City fans did the same to players who were unsure whether or not to tear up their contracts which was also out of order.

All clubs have bellend so-called ‘supporters’, but I think the difference is that we don’t blame others for everything. Glad you agree that blaming Teds in the away end is absolutely ridiculous. Many Rovers fans I know were convinced that the Mansfield end was rammed with Teds. Bonkers.

• Robin 1

Gas Go Stealing again, where did you go son? You sure got one over us beating Oxford.. brilliant, not to mention you getting in the 2nd round of the League cup beating Cheltenham, excellent..

Will you be having one of your famous open top bus's for such a momentous occasion, you know, the ones that get nationally mocked by most newspapers in the UK?

19 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

Gas Go Stealing again, where did you go son? You sure got one over us beating Oxford.. brilliant, not to mention you getting in the 2nd round of the League cup beating Cheltenham, excellent..

Will you be having one of your famous open top bus's for such a momentous occasion, you know, the ones that get nationally mocked by most newspapers in the UK?

I expect he is a gas hero now taking on city on a forum chatting absolute waffle like most of them.

6 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I expect he is a gas hero now taking on city on a forum chatting absolute waffle like most of them.

The thing is, what on earth can he really say that would rile anyone other something in incredible bad taste. "Oooh look you are only 4th in the championship, "You are the only club in league football to show year on year improvement for 5 years running". "Look at you with your real billionaire owner and proper ground" "Your signings are from real clubs and some are proper internationals" "Your ground holds 27k but you only get an average of 22k" ??? There really is nothing that can be said by him or any other gashead that would cause me to bring out this gif again.......

breaking you got me GIF

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Brighton in the cup Tuesday big game for the fewers. Surely they will sell out for that . Won’t they ?

Course they’ll sell out - there will obviously be around 3k sheeeeeed-eds in the ground to cheer on Webster and Dunk - cos whenever any player connected to City plays against the sags at the Mem we all rush to get tickets so we can cheer them on - it’s true cos the sags said so ....