IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

35 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Of course he isn’t going to get the players he wants, they couldn’t even afford a part timer from the Irish League. How much lower can their sights be set?

wasn’t one of their pre season signings someone Eastleigh didn’t want?  That’s how low their sights are

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

One of the best away days. Easy to get do , friendly pubs selling thatchers but can’t even sell that out @Gas Go Marching In @Gas Go Marching In! You’re lots a laughing stock. 

I know he’s banned but he’s probably browsing on here now

And don’t forget that it’s the home of their favourite pass time. Boob cricket..!

Homophobic chants thing, could someone define and specify?

By which I mean, not so long ago I'm sure that 'Does your boyfriend know you're here' plus 'We can see you holding hands' would regularly get a few rounds v Brighton.

Guessing it was more offensive/serious than the above to make the news? Or have times changed again in even the last few years.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

By which I mean, not so long ago I'm sure that 'Does your boyfriend know you're here' plus 'We can see you holding hands' would regularly get a few rounds v Brighton.

Guessing it was more offensive/serious than the above to make the news? Or have times changed again in even the last few years.

It has already been classified that it was more serious than that 

• Hmmm 1

22 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

Well the post have been sucking up to them again by describing it as 'amazing travelling support' 

I wonder what ours was when we easily sold out Burton away twice? Maybe the post just expect us to take night on 3 times as many as the pikeys? We would undoubtedly have taken more, on both occasions, if they were available.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The chants you have quoted are considered offensive and homophobic - there is no differential, a chant either is or isn't in contravention of the law.  It made the news because there was a thread about it on a Rovers' forum, and that's where the "journalists" get their news these days. 

It shouldn't be happening.

12 minutes ago, In the Net said:

The chants you have quoted are considered offensive and homophobic - there is no differential, a chant either is or isn't in contravention of the law.  It made the news because there was a thread about it on a Rovers' forum, and that's where the "journalists" get their news these days. 

It shouldn't be happening.

Well fair enough, but where do we draw the line for football chants- not specifically referring to homophobia but in general?

Are you telling me no other fanbase chants the 2 I stated anymore? Because I find that hard to believe- must've been more to it?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/200853-bristol-rovers-dustbin-thread/&do=findComment&comment=3600844

Edited by chinapig
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Well in that case, any chants of that nature. If in doubt, don't sing!

Yet I am fairly convinced that chant is routine at Brighton games or has been recently- if it has now changed to all or nothing then we all know where we are.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well in that case, any chants of that nature. If in doubt, don't sing!

Yet I am fairly convinced that chant is routine at Brighton games or has been recently- if it has now changed to all or nothing then we all know where we are.

It wasn’t that chant though was it?

This is no particular opinion on the homophobic chanting at the Mem, but I firmly feel we are but a few years away from almost everything being deemed offensive and therefore illegal. 

What was mildly annoying in 2000 will be a jail sentence for someone in 2030. There is no end to it. 

Chanting someone has a "slaphead" will be construed as offensive. Pointing out someone is a speccy-tw** will earn you a conviction for hate crime - a new law from 2028 which doesn't allow you to make any comment about someone's appearance.

You might think I'm talking crap, but you'd have said the same about current laws 15 years ago and the relentless influence of social media will see the shift continue. 

Edited by CotswoldRed
  • Like 12

7 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

This is no particular opinion on the homophobic chanting at the Mem, but I firmly feel we are but a few years away from almost everything being deemed offensive and therefore illegal. 

What was mildly annoying in 2000 will be a jail sentence for someone in 2030. There is no end to it. 

Chanting someone has a "slaphead" will be construed as offensive. Pointing out someone is a speccy-tw** will earn you a conviction for hate crime - a new law from 2028 which doesn't allow you to make any comment about someone's appearance.

You might think I'm talking crap, but you'd have said the same about current laws 15 years ago and the relentless influence of social media will see the shift continue. 

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the world today is a lot nearer George Orwell's 1984 than I would like.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, pillred said:

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the world today is a lot nearer George Orwell's 1984 than I would like.

I fully support the general idea that hate crime needs to be dealt with. How, exactly, is another conversation. But soon it will be a crime to be angry at someone. I can see the scenario - someone spills their pint over you. You impulsively call them an [expletive] idiot. You're in front of a magistrate. 

I say "how exactly" because I loathe the fact that we've decided to categorise some things as more important as others. Offend someone with reference to their race and your career, family life and everything else could be finished. Spout foul mouthed abuse at a disabled person with reference to their disability (I believe that to be even worse) and old bill won't be interested. That is disgusting in my view. 

Edited by CotswoldRed
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Pretty much agree with this. 

I do wonder whether there should be something to put into law whereby you cannot be offended on someone elses behalf. Basically, it should be up to the person on the receiving end of the abuse that should report it.

I'm pretty sure this would reduce the number of complaints by a lot, and actually leave it up to the genuine victims to decide whether they're offended or not.

3 minutes ago, beaverface said:

Pretty much agree with this. 

I do wonder whether there should be something to put into law whereby you cannot be offended on someone elses behalf. Basically, it should be up to the person on the receiving end of the abuse that should report it.

I'm pretty sure this would reduce the number of complaints by a lot, and actually leave it up to the genuine victims to decide whether they're offended or not.

Not a bad idea. A bit like most physical acts of violence. The victim has to press charges?