IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

4 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

20191010_202249.jpg

Basically, Wally is hawking the club round to anyone who might take it. I'm sure the next owners will be nothing but the best if that's his approach.

Given he claimed there were a number of other parties interested in buying the Fewers when they got involved, you would think he would have approached them first.

Or perhaps they have seen that losing 65k a month to go nowhere isn't the cash cow they thought it was.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Basically, Wally is hawking the club round to anyone who might take it. I'm sure the next owners will be nothing but the best if that's his approach.

Given he claimed there were a number of other parties interested in buying the Fewers when they got involved, you would think he would have approached them first.

Or perhaps they have seen that losing 65k a month to go nowhere isn't the cash cow they thought it was.

Or as we know it he's doing a Higgs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, East End Old Boy said:

That I didn’t know and perhaps why I had respect for him. Very consistent player and good in the air. Back in the days when I could name a Rovers team, now, some guy with a double barrel name is about all I could offer! ?

22 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He joined us as an amateur I think, but he didn’t play any games for City 

As I mentioned in my earlier post, Stuart Taylor started his career with City and this was, indeed, as an amateur, before he went on to play for one of my former clubs, Abbotonians.

I only know he once played for City as he used to tell (tease ?) me when I was a promising young (schoolboy) footballer that, if I practised hard, I might be good enough one day to play for his former club, City, but probably not for his current club ? .

Interestingly, although I only found this out today, he scored his first goal for Rovers in a cup game against City.  

38 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

As I mentioned in my earlier post, Stuart Taylor started his career with City and this was, indeed, as an amateur, before he went on to play for one of my former clubs, Abbotonians.

I only know he once played for City as he used to tell (tease ?) me when I was a promising young (schoolboy) footballer that, if I practised hard, I might be good enough one day to play for his former club, City, but probably not for his current club ? .

Interestingly, although I only found this out today, he scored his first goal for Rovers in a cup game against City.  

And we won !

Edited by slartibartfast

4 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Believe it or not, Stuart actually started his career playing for Bristol City.

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He joined us as an amateur I think, but he didn’t play any games for City 

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

As I mentioned in my earlier post, Stuart Taylor started his career with City .... I only know he once played for City as he used to tell (tease ?) me when I was a promising young (schoolboy) footballer

Yeh - but both your posts say he ‘played for City’ - he didn’t play one game for us ... still, RIP big Stu ...

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

And we won !

I was at that match. Fa cup replay about 1966 ish. 0-0 draw at Ashton gate. Replay at Easrville the following Tuesday.  40,000 at Ashton, 35000 at Eastville 3 days later. Taylor scored for rovers in the 1st half then Crowe and Macamoyle ( crap spelling) scored for City we won 1-2.  decent player was Stuart Taylor, a proper Rovers player in the days of players staying with a club for many years. Rest easy big man.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

I was at that match. Fa cup replay about 1966 ish. 0-0 draw at Ashton gate. Replay at Easrville the following Tuesday.  40,000 at Ashton, 35000 at Eastville 3 days later. Taylor scored for rovers in the 1st half then Crowe and Macamoyle ( crap spelling) scored for City we won 1-2.  decent player was Stuart Taylor, a proper Rovers player in the days of players staying with a club for many years. Rest easy big man.  

Nearly right.............1968 (Jan)                    Crowe and GALLEY.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Stuart Taylor started his career with City .... I only know he once played for City as he used to tell (tease ?) me when I was a promising young (schoolboy) footballer

Yeh - but both your posts say he ‘played for City’ - he didn’t play one game for us ... still, RIP big Stu ...

I was about 10 or 11 years old at the time and a mad keen City fan.

The late Stuart Taylor used to provide some part-time coaching for our boys team, the majority of whom were Rovers fans, and, knowing I was a City fan, he used to tease me along the lines that he used to play for City, but left them because they were not very good and decided to join Rovers - cue laughter and more teasing from my teammates.

Given my age at the time, coupled by the fact I was probably in awe of him, I am sure I would most likely have believed him had he told me that, not only did he play for City, but that he actually scored more goals than the late, great John Atyeo.

The reason I mentioned the fact he used to play for City was simply that, reminiscing about the demise of a local sportsman, a wonderful gentleman and, from my personal experience, a man who gave up a lot of his free time to coach me and my young teammates, I recalled something he told me 50 years ago.

I am sorry if I confused the true facts of his early playing career, but perhaps I had just a little tear in my eyes when I was posting.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bert tann said:

Will the Mayor of Bristol just stand by and watch while this Richardson gang deflower Miss Lavinia Securities ? 

Your recent posts Bert, have been pointless.

Most of us have no idea about the groups involved, so being cryptic is of no use to us tbh.

If you have something to say, just put it in plain English.

Perhaps start by naming both groups and the companies involved.

Just a thought.

• Like 2

Very sad about Stuart, never heard a bad word about the man, even if he was a blue ?.

He had been suffering from degenerative brain disease for several years and went down hill fast, ended up just a shadow of his former self.

Never diagnosed as chronic traumatic encephalopathy (once known as punch drunk syndrome), but surely no coincidence given his occupation, playing style and the footballs of old,  as the family of Jeff Astle are only too aware and of which Geoff Twentyman has highlighted, to his credit.

The sooner that this condition is officially recognised the better, especially by the likes of the FA and Premier League, who need to financially and morally support the many ex pro’s and their families through what is a debilitating and often, fatal syndrome.

RIP big man, from all sides of Bristol.

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

A plan is coming together, just like the last one and the one before.  The club still have a non league mentality and treat their dwindling fan base like mushrooms.  Keep em in the dark and occasionally feed em s##t.

It's been like that for years and I doubt it will get any better.

like mushrooms you don't even have to keep them thick pprriicckks in the dark 

12 hours ago, aa_bcfc said:

This was my first ever city match it was my birthday and dad gave me a choice gold finger at the gaumont cinema lawrence hill or a city match i chose city match  stood on a wooden beer crate at front of east end with the deafing chant of hughie hughie hughie mcilmoyle ringing in my ears i was totaly hooked thank you dad ive got nearly 50 years of incerdible city memories and have met so many fantasic city lads over the years i hope and pray iam still around to see the ulimate dream coyr

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

This was my first ever city match it was my birthday and dad gave me a choice gold finger at the gaumont cinema lawrence hill or a city match i chose city match  stood on a wooden beer crate at front of east end with the deafing chant of hughie hughie hughie mcilmoyle ringing in my ears i was totaly hooked thank you dad ive got nearly 50 years of incerdible city memories and have met so many fantasic city lads over the years i hope and pray iam still around to see the ulimate dream coyr

I hate bursting bubbles, but, Hughie Mac had long gone by this time......................could have been a Glos Cup game ?

13 hours ago, aa_bcfc said:

BR ran a soccer special for that game. A 12 coach train, it started at Avonmouth and called at all stations to Ashton Gate. Fans of both teams travelled together with no trouble. City v Rovers was the last tie to be called when the draw was made.