IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

15 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Basically, Wally is hawking the club round to anyone who might take it. I'm sure the next owners will be nothing but the best if that's his approach.

Given he claimed there were a number of other parties interested in buying the Fewers when they got involved, you would think he would have approached them first.

Or perhaps they have seen that losing 65k a month to go nowhere isn't the cash cow they thought it was.

65k per week!

Don't worry about the planning going through as I have it on good authority (gas mate) that there will not be a single objection to any plans whatsoever....If anything happens, I hope Marvellous Marvin gets asked why he went against a stadium within spitting distance that already had millions of taxpayers spent on it.... I am sure there is a logical explanation...

5 minutes ago, wood_red said:

65k per week!

Don't worry about the planning going through as I have it on good authority (gas mate) that there will not be a single objection to any plans whatsoever....If anything happens, I hope Marvellous Marvin gets asked why he went against a stadium within spitting distance that already had millions of taxpayers spent on it.... I am sure there is a logical explanation...

With you on that brother.

I would like Rees hung out to dry if he tried to pull a stroke like that.

Hoops to jump throughm, but assuming the Council backs Marvellous then..https://www.planninghelp.cpre.org.uk/improve-where-you-live/what-to-do-if-a-development-breaks-the-rules/write-to-your-mp-and-the-local-government-ombudsman?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5_P3yo2U5QIVjLTtCh0Yzw4YEAAYAiAAEgKuyPD_BwE

3 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

A plan is coming together, just like the last one and the one before.  The club still have a non league mentality and treat their dwindling fan base like mushrooms.  Keep em in the dark and occasionally feed em s##t.

Seems you have a fan on ass chat who likes to steal your punchlines..Screenshot_20191011-134357_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0e3c51eb761cfbb481ed88963c1e9301.jpg 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Banjo Island said:

This was my first ever city match it was my birthday and dad gave me a choice gold finger at the gaumont cinema lawrence hill or a city match i chose city match  stood on a wooden beer crate at front of east end with the deafing chant of hughie hughie hughie mcilmoyle ringing in my ears i was totaly hooked thank you dad ive got nearly 50 years of incerdible city memories and have met so many fantasic city lads over the years i hope and pray iam still around to see the ulimate dream coyr

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I hate bursting bubbles, but, Hughie Mac had long gone by this time......................could have been a Glos Cup game ?

Oops there pops another bubble... 

The Gaumont cinema was in Baldwin St off the Centre... (I saw Bambi there ?)

The cinema on Lawrence Hill was The Globe … (I saw Norman Wisdom in  A Stitch In Time there ?)

(Goldfinger .. one of the best Bond films and theme songs ever imho, I loved Cilla Black singing that!) ?

6 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Oops there pops another bubble... 

The Gaumont cinema was in Baldwin St off the Centre... (I saw Bambi there ?)

The cinema on Lawrence Hill was The Globe … (I saw Norman Wisdom in  A Stitch In Time there ?)

(Goldfinger .. one of the best Bond films and theme songs ever imho, I loved Cilla Black singing that!) ?

Ha ha ?? yet another senior moment my bubble as well and truly been burst

16 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I was about 10 or 11 years old at the time and a mad keen City fan.

The late Stuart Taylor used to provide some part-time coaching for our boys team, the majority of whom were Rovers fans, and, knowing I was a City fan, he used to tease me along the lines that he used to play for City, but left them because they were not very good and decided to join Rovers - cue laughter and more teasing from my teammates.

Given my age at the time, coupled by the fact I was probably in awe of him, I am sure I would most likely have believed him had he told me that, not only did he play for City, but that he actually scored more goals than the late, great John Atyeo.

The reason I mentioned the fact he used to play for City was simply that, reminiscing about the demise of a local sportsman, a wonderful gentleman and, from my personal experience, a man who gave up a lot of his free time to coach me and my young teammates, I recalled something he told me 50 years ago.

I am sorry if I confused the true facts of his early playing career, but perhaps I had just a little tear in my eyes when I was posting.  

Fair play Phil - and thanks for the great response ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, SX227 said:

Your recent posts Bert, have been pointless.

Most of us have no idea about the groups involved, so being cryptic is of no use to us tbh.

If you have something to say, just put it in plain English.

Perhaps start by naming both groups and the companies involved.

Just a thought.

You are right of course, and I'm sorry about that, but I was extremely tickled by the connections to be made between the main players in Lavignac Securities Ltd, who seem to have come to the remarkable conclusion that Rovers would be a good fit for the Fruit Market Stadium, and the Marx Bros movie "At The Circus".  I got a bit carried away.

However, I would like to say how touching it has been to read the tributes on here to Stuart Taylor. The experiences which have been relayed of Stuart are clearly genuine and sincere which says a lot about our rivalry when a perception has grown up that the blue and red sides of town hate each other with a vengeance which is something I have never believed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

As my memory banks are fading fast was Taylor around the same time as Warboys/Bannister for them ? and we had Galley/Garland/Gow etc?

They certainly were.

There was a really lively rivalry back in the 1970s.

I know we all like to mock our blue friends on this thread, especially these last few years, but I do sort of miss those 1970/80 years.

8 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

They certainly were.

There was a really lively rivalry back in the 1970s.

I know we all like to mock our blue friends on this thread, especially these last few years, but I do sort of miss those 1970/80 years.

I don’t miss the late ‘80s !

Gary Smart 

Devon ******* White (he was shit, yet we always managed to make him look like a world beater) !

Gary ******* Penrice

Vaughan ******* Jones

Ian ******* Alexander

Ian ******* Holloway 

Aaaaaaarrrgggghhhhhh !!!!!!

Nightmare days.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Gary Smart 

Devon ******* White (he was shit, yet we always managed to make him look like a world beater) !

Gary ******* Penrice

Vaughan ******* Jones

Ian ******* Alexander

Ian ******* Holloway 

Nightmare days.

We went TEN consecutive games vs the gas without a victory back then! It was a nightmare ...

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

We went TEN consecutive games vs the gas without a victory back then! It was a nightmare ...

Always makes me laugh when Gasheads on Facebook and Twitter make out most of our supporters only follow City as we are higher in the League...as if that has anything to do with who you support in a City like Bristol.

Anyone around my age were in their teens before actually seeing City beat the Gas and that was when we used to play each other EVERY season.

14 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Always makes me laugh when Gasheads on Facebook and Twitter make out most of our supporters only follow City as we are higher in the League...as if that has anything to do with who you support in a City like Bristol.

Anyone around my age were in their teens before actually seeing City beat the Gas and that was when we used to play each other EVERY season.

Spot on mate ... those clueless plonkers have even called me a ‘glory hunter’ for supporting ‘da shit’ - their faces look like a gurning competition between Peter Beardsley, Iain Dowie and Phil Jones when I calmly explain that growing up, by the age of 15 I had watched City in all four divisions ... we reached the heights then plummeted quickly to the depths - the ‘famous’ quarters were a division above us when we sank to the bottom of div 4 and were at our lowest ebb - yeh, what a glory hunter! 

Then Sir Terrence Cooper picked us up by the scruff of the neck and gave every ounce of everything he had to get us back! And when we dicked the squatting vultures 1-2 in the FA Cup in Dec ‘83 we were still a div below them - but how important was that result?! It gave us everything back - a smile on our faces, a bit of pride, a team that often moved me to tears with their spirit and sheer bloody determination and the knowledge that we’d just dumped the gloating northerners out of the cup on their own patch not long after they’d tried to steal dear old Ashton Gate when we were on our knees ...

Glory hunter? My arse ...

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 16
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, bert tann said:

However, I would like to say how touching it has been to read the tributes on here to Stuart Taylor. The experiences which have been relayed of Stuart are clearly genuine and sincere which says a lot about our rivalry when a perception has grown up that the blue and red sides of town hate each other with a vengeance which is something I have never believed.

You probably won't remember this Bert ?, but, one Autumn Sunday afternoon back in the late 1960s/very early 1970s, a year or two before you died if I remember correctly, together with a Rovers supporting friend of mine I went out collecting conkers in the fields near to your lovely house in Frenchay - obviously, I didn't know at that time you lived there. 

Unfortunately, my over-enthusiastic Rovers friend decided, somewhat unwisely as it turned out, to throw a rather large branch in to one of the conker trees, and when, unsurprisingly, the branch fell back down, it did so via his head, resulting in lots of blood and tears.

We made our way to one of the afore-mentioned houses to seek assistance and the charming lady who answered the door to your house, said she would ask her husband to attend to us and called out to you to help.

Fortunately, and despite me singing for this on many occasions, you had not gone to Vietnam, and drove my friend and I to the A&E ward of the nearby Frenchay hospital, from where you telephoned my friend's parents and waited until they arrived to take care of their son.

I never really got the chance before, but should now like to thank you and apologise for spoiling your Sunday afternoon so many years ago.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Spot on mate ... those clueless plonkers have even called me a ‘glory hunter’ for supporting ‘da shit’ - their faces look like a gurning competition between Peter Beardsley, Iain Dowie and Phil Jones when I calmly explain that growing up, by the age of 15 I had watched City in all four divisions ... we reached the heights then plummeted quickly to the depths - the ‘famous’ quarters were a division above us when we sank to the bottom of div 4 and were at our lowest ebb - yeh, what a glory hunter! 

Then Sir Terrence Cooper picked us up by the scruff of the neck and gave every ounce of everything he had to get us back! And when we dicked the squatting vultures 1-2 in the FA Cup in Dec ‘83 we were still a div below them - but how important was that result?! It gave us everything back - a smile on our faces, a bit of pride, a team that often moved me to tears with their spirit and sheer bloody determination and the knowledge that we’d just dumped the gloating northerners out of the cup on their own patch not long after they’d tried to steal dear old Ashton Gate when we were on our knees ...

Glory hunter? My arse ...

Brilliantly put ???

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Banjo Island said:

This was my first ever city match it was my birthday and dad gave me a choice gold finger at the gaumont cinema lawrence hill or a city match i chose city match  stood on a wooden beer crate at front of east end with the deafing chant of hughie hughie hughie mcilmoyle ringing in my ears i was totaly hooked thank you dad ive got nearly 50 years of incerdible city memories and have met so many fantasic city lads over the years i hope and pray iam still around to see the ulimate dream coyr

dad gave me a choice gold finger at the gaumont cinema lawrence hill .

Now call me old fashioned ...

41 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

dad gave me a choice gold finger at the gaumont cinema lawrence hill .

Now call me old fashioned ...

I once nearly had a Bishops Finger, it was on sale at an off licence.

I told my old friend "Father Michael" this and asked if he'd ever known anyone who'd had a Bishops Finger, he chastised me with a grin on his face and a chuckle.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Gary Smart 

Gary ******* Penrice

Vaughan ******* Jones

Ian ******* Alexander

Ian ******* Holloway 

Nightmare days.

Why did their Father give them all the same middle name?

• Haha 6

The football world will smile when they finally go..

The irony is it's only Burton players that've been called up..

Bolton taking the pis

icon-search-filters.png
Actions

brads213
Youth Team

brads213 Avatar

Posting Level

Next Level in 18 posts
10 hours ago  
Post Options

Post by brads213 on 10 hours ago

Not only do we now probably have to play Bolton with a full first team instead of the teenagers that some league 1 clubs have scored 5 or more against but now they have the damm cheek to call off games due to international call ups talk about taking the piss they should be in the same place as bury dead and buried
Edited by Seneca the Younger

1 hour ago, Seneca the Younger said:

The football world will smile when they finally go..

The irony is it's only Burton players that've been called up..

Bolton taking the pis

icon-search-filters.png
Actions

brads213
Youth Team

brads213 Avatar

Posting Level

Next Level in 18 posts
10 hours ago  
Post Options

Post by brads213 on 10 hours ago

Not only do we now probably have to play Bolton with a full first team instead of the teenagers that some league 1 clubs have scored 5 or more against but now they have the damm cheek to call off games due to international call ups talk about taking the piss they should be in the same place as bury dead and buried

...and that, ladies and gents, is why their fans are loved and respected the World over.

Before anyone suggests it, that opinion isn’t just the view of one oddball on a forum full of wrong uns...I’ve heard Gasheads in real life come out with the ‘they should be dead and buried’ line since Bolton started picking up points. 

The fact it’s Burton players, not Bolton, that have been called up for International duty only makes those raging Sags look even more thick.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 1

The state of this plonker......I’m sure the camel herder thought exactly the same

gasheadontour said:
Why would any non-fan buy Rovers and spend many years and many tens of millions on a new stadium, training ground, youth system and first team when they could buy a championship club?

Squiffy
Because the latent potential and possible future rewards are greater for a club in our division and geographic location than for a similar outfit where there is already market saturation. There is also the opportunity to fine tune a new stadium development to maximise revenue which could be more restrictive and relatively more expensive at an established Championship club. I bet the output of a comparative spreadsheet would put us very close to the top of a list of potential high return investments in football.

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

The state of this plonker......I’m sure the camel herder thought exactly the same

gasheadontour said:
Why would any non-fan buy Rovers and spend many years and many tens of millions on a new stadium, training ground, youth system and first team when they could buy a championship club?

Squiffy
Because the latent potential and possible future rewards are greater for a club in our division and geographic location than for a similar outfit where there is already market saturation. There is also the opportunity to fine tune a new stadium development to maximise revenue which could be more restrictive and relatively more expensive at an established Championship club. I bet the output of a comparative spreadsheet would put us very close to the top of a list of potential high return investments in football.

Definitely sniffing glue while he wrote this.