IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

With the infrastructure they have and the running costs they incur, I would be amazed if any investors were interested.

There might be people who would build and rent them a stadium, but as others have said, unless someone wants a low value vanity project, they would just be pissing money up the wall and with the FFP (and lower league equivalent) their progress is going to be a lot slower without a new stadium.

10 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

As long as they don't try to ground share with us. Essentially, balls to them. 

Agreed.

Ground sharing with your rivals never ends well.

Back in the 90s I asked a Crystal Palace fan why they had such an intense and nasty rivalry with Brighton, a club fifty miles away, rather than the much closer Charlton or Millwall.

He said it all started when Palace let Brighton groundshare and ever since they have been enemies.

I do not share the huge dislike that many on here have for the gas (and we're all entitled to our opinions, I'm not saying anybody's wrong) but letting them groundshare would be asking for trouble.  No, just no.

8 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

With the infrastructure they have and the running costs they incur, I would be amazed if any investors were interested.

There might be people who would build and rent them a stadium, but as others have said, unless someone wants a low value vanity project, they would just be pissing money up the wall and with the FFP (and lower league equivalent) their progress is going to be a lot slower without a new stadium.

Plymouth was ina similar mess seven or eight years ago, looking at dropping out of the league and either in or going into administration.  A local property developer, James Brent, stepped up to buy them and he said it was only until they were back on an even keel and then he would step down. 

Amazingly he was absolutely true to his word; sorted them out financially such taht they were now turning a profit and rebuilt some of the ground and then sold at a fair price to somebody else; stepping down. 

That's the sort of person they need.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I was under the impression that the mem was worth £10-12million - it seems to be accepted wisdom over on gaschat that it is worth upwards of £25million now?

That's #GASLOGIC!

the value of the site is a weird one.

If you look at the FFP thread, the Mem could be worth next to nothing, or if you are selling it to yourself, billions.

21 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I was under the impression that the mem was worth £10-12million - it seems to be accepted wisdom over on gaschat that it is worth upwards of £25million now?

3 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

When was it valued at £10m?  When Wally came in?

I would be very surprised by 150% increase in that time.

It was about £10m in the accounts which seemed an undervalue and the charge was at £10m.

£15m seems more reasonable, given the Sainsbury's bid in the era of peak supermarket was IIRC £30m, and as the debt is being allowed to rise to that level it looks like the AQs also think so.

The £25m / £30m values are coming from gasheads being let loose with a calculator and then multiplying Bristol land values for particular uses by the acreage of the Memorial ground site and selecting the biggest figure without taking into account the many other factors that valuers consider.

And as with any speculation once enough people have repeated it then it becomes fact.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

if they did sell,imagine the cost of disposing of all that concrete and rubbish there.. would that get factored into the sale price?

cant be much there recyclable other than a few yards of tarpaulin

And the cost of fumigation.

13 minutes ago, Swede said:

They must be starting to 5hit their pants by now & not because the pot they pi55 in will have to be sold but with the replay starting in a few hours and everyone wanting them to be defeated.

They are getting their excuses in early, plastic pitch, won't be expecting the ball to bounce like that, everyone expecting them to win etc...

53 minutes ago, Swede said:

They must be starting to 5hit their pants by now & not because the pot they pi55 in will have to be sold but with the replay starting in a few hours and everyone wanting them to be defeated.

Watch the methane snorters lose or watch Adam Nagy v Wales? Sod it, channel hopping it is.

28 minutes ago, bert tann said:

Talks renewed about merger with Forest Green Rovers and relocation to Gloucestershire.

@bert tann The problem with that is the same with any merger, what do they bring to the table?  The ground is the only tangible asset and it's mortgaged to its limit. There appears to be no benefit from FGR's perspective. 

15 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Forest Green seem a well run outfit, why would they want to get involved with that rabble #Vegan

This.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

@bert tann The problem with that is the same with any merger, what do they bring to the table?  The ground is the only tangible asset and it's mortgaged to its limit. There appears to be no benefit from FGR's perspective. 

This.

Forest Green gets an additional six thousand regular fans; Forest Green is only getting crowds of 2,500 despite their success.

Rovers get a decent stadium in which to play team; maybe a new one just off the M5 north of Bristol.

It makes sense to me.

I suggest Rovers Rovers as the new name.

1 minute ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Forest Green gets an additional six thousand regular fans; Forest Green is only getting crowds of 2,500 despite their success.

Rovers get a decent stadium in which to play team; maybe a new one just off the M5 north of Bristol.

It makes sense to me.

I suggest Rovers Rovers as the new name.

I don't think so, I think it would be the beginning of the end for their fans. Some of them might traipse up there for a season or so, especially those who live north of Bristol already, but eventually they would look for something closer to home, especially if Premier League football was on offer.

4 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Agreed.

Ground sharing with your rivals never ends well.

Back in the 90s I asked a Crystal Palace fan why they had such an intense and nasty rivalry with Brighton, a club fifty miles away, rather than the much closer Charlton or Millwall.

He said it all started when Palace let Brighton groundshare and ever since they have been enemies.

I do not share the huge dislike that many on here have for the gas (and we're all entitled to our opinions, I'm not saying anybody's wrong) but letting them groundshare would be asking for trouble.  No, just no.

Palace have never shared a ground with Brighton - their rivalry stems from some fiery cup ties in the late ‘70s - both managers hated each other (Venables vs Mullery) and after one of the cup ties Mullery walked around the pitch flicking the V sign at Palace fans - he then stormed into the Palace dressing room, chucked a fiver on the floor and told Venables ‘your team ain’t worth that’ ... it all escalated from there ...

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Palace have never shared a ground with Brighton - their rivalry stems from some fiery cup ties in the late ‘70s - both managers hated each other (Venables vs Mullery) and after one of the cup ties Mullery walked around the pitch flicking the V sign at Palace fans - he then stormed into the Palace dressing room, chucked a fiver on the floor and told Venables ‘your team ain’t worth that’ ... it all escalated from there ...

I was misinformed then.

I don't think he was making it up; maybe he was just getting a bit confused.  It was somebody I worked with who would sometimes slag off Brighton and I asked why there was a rivalry.

13 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't think so, I think it would be the beginning of the end for their fans. Some of them might traipse up there for a season or so, especially those who live north of Bristol already, but eventually they would look for something closer to home, especially if Premier League football was on offer.

I don't disagree (except that you're not going to get existing Rovers fans coming to watch City, that will instead be the new generation of fans)  but I also don't think that's incompatible with what I've said.

Vince buys Rovers for a song without a ground, merges the teams, satrts playing in Blue and Green, and moves closer to Bristol.

If the merged team starts getting 5,000 that's doubled the crowds and given them a good base from which to grow.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I don't disagree (except that you're not going to get existing Rovers fans coming to watch City, that will instead be the new generation of fans)  but I also don't think that's incompatible with what I've said.

Vince buys Rovers for a song without a ground, merges the teams, satrts playing in Blue and Green, and moves closer to Bristol.

If the merged team starts getting 5,000 that's doubled the crowds and given them a good base from which to grow.

Projections being based on two thirds of BRFC current  season ticket holders and half of pay on the day attendees making the switch.

1 hour ago, bert tann said:

Talks renewed about merger with Forest Green Rovers and relocation to Gloucestershire.

It would be easy to move Santa’s Grotto, but could the Championship ready sprinklers be moved to Nailsworth? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vincent Vega said:

Forest Green seem a well run outfit, why would they want to get involved with that rabble #Vegan

To become overnight, every football fan's favourite other team?

FGs new ground is targeted to be next door to the mahoosive recycling centre which dominates the skyline at M5J13. That would seem to fit the identity of the 15ers on many levels.

1 hour ago, Vincent Vega said:

Edited by Rudolf Hucker
  • Haha 1