IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

9 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Yep, season ticket holders don't count towards the attendance which will be just those who've bothered to buy tickets. Just under 7,000 home supporters is my guess.

Oh I see what you have done there :)

Well considering we have only had 7000 home supporters once this season and that one section of the ground is closed on Sunday ( Yeah I know) my guess is that there will be around 4000 Rovers and 1500 Plymouth.

4 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Well considering we have only had 7000 home supporters once this season and that one section of the ground is closed on Sunday ( Yeah I know) my guess is that there will be around 4000 Rovers and 1500 Plymouth.

You really do need a bigger ground, Miah. Build it and they will come (so make sure that the walls can be wiped clean).

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Are you telling us they can actually divide up that dilapidated dump into "sections"?

Talk about trying to big up dirty plastic chairs and moth-eaten tents.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/exclusive-bristol-rovers-want-forge-3579775

One major resource he feels the Gas are not making the most of, lies just five miles to the south of the Mem and a subject he knows full well some supporters will find hard to accept.

Bristol City are one of the most prolific loaning clubs within the Championship, with 10 players on temporary hire around the EFL including, most notably, midfielders Liam Walsh at Coventry and Joe Morrell with Lincoln City plus goalkeeper Max O'Leary at Shrewsbury.

Relations between the clubs have been tense since Matty Taylor's departure from the Mem to Ashton Gate in January 2017 but Widdrington believes bridges need to be built for the betterment of Bristol Rovers.

As the former Southampton midfielder admits, City would surely be appreciative of the opportunity to send some of their best talent to a League One club in an area that is easily accessible for them to monitor, while for the Gas, the benefits are obvious.

"Whether the fans like to hear this or not, I'd like to see there be a little more of a cordial relationship between the clubs - we can help them and they can help us," Widdrington told Bristol Live.

"I can't comment on that [the Matty Taylor transfer] because I wasn't here, but certain people at this club will say the right thing wasn't done on one or two occasions.

"I have no problem with anybody at Bristol City, I know a lot of the staff there including (loans manager) Brian Tinnion. Our knowledge of them is as good as their knowledge of us, because they come and watch our games every week.

"We don't necessarily watch their games because we're fishing in a different pond but there might be people who they want to get out on loan to develop and they could improve us.

"I come from Newcastle, so I completely get the rivalry and the politics but, ultimately, we want to improve as a football club and get better on the pitch and I want to do that in any which way we can."

Graham Coughlan has been seen regularly at Bristol City Under-23 matches and he and his staff have a good relationship with Lee Johnson and As Widdrington says, there is absolutely no reason why stronger lines of communication cannot exist - beyond the political and tribal divide between supporters that many would say is paramount in terms of importance.

From City's point of view, it is a prospect they would undoubtedly be open to but, based on Johnson's comments in August, a thaw in relations is required.

"I know there has been interest in our young players from Bristol Rovers - I don't know what the historic feeling about that would be," Johnson said.

Personally I hope we never help them out with our promising young talents ever again. Could turn them from a mid-table side into a promotion challenging one. 

• Like 3

Not really a great environment for our young starlets to develop, is it.

Portaloos, tin baths, no training facilities and having to be subjected to racism and shouts of S'head after every misplaced pass.

There are much better places they can go in the football league - 90 of them to be precise.

Edited by wendyredredrobin
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Not really a great environment for our young starlets to develop, is it.

Portaloos, tin baths, no training facilities and having to be subjected to racism and shouts of S'head after every misplaced pass.

There are much better places they can go in the football league - 90 of them to be precise.

89 :crying:

• Sad 1

What a joke, every misplaced pass, shot wide, or goal conceded (goalkeeper), that lot would be on their backs and never forgive them. 

There really is no reason for us to loan anyone to them. As stated previously, facilities, atmosphere, style (or lack there) of play, there are no redeeming features about them. The only convenience would be that they are just down the road.

They're the ones that threw the toys out of the pram with the Taylor deal, despite including the clause in his contract which we met. 

The very nice man that is in charge over there, would have to do a lot of grovelling for anything to happen between the two clubs. That aint likely to happen.

Desperate, a desperate attempt to get some of what FGR, Torquay, Oxford, Coventry, Cheltenham and the others are enjoying. He's quite wrong that we need a close L1 club to loan to - Coventry and Oxford are close enough. Add to that that currently the top half in L2 includes FGR, Exeter, Plymouth, Newport, and Cheltenham (I'm discounting Swindon for obvious reasons) and we are not starved of good quality local clubs to loan players to.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Desperate, a desperate attempt to get some of what FGR, Torquay, Oxford, Coventry, Cheltenham and the others are enjoying. He's quite wrong that we need a close L1 club to loan to - Coventry and Oxford are close enough. Add to that that currently the top half in L2 includes FGR, Exeter, Plymouth, Newport, and Cheltenham (I'm discounting Swindon for obvious reasons) and we are not starved of good quality local clubs to loan players to.

Thé Gas are already  too close for my liking .

• Like 1

Them being close to us isn’t as much of an advantage as people make it out to be imo.

The only advantage is for the player staying nearby where they already live I guess.

full 90 minutes of games will be available for Tinman & his staff (I hope it’s not just him) to watch after games, there’s no real need to be there to see them. 

Reality is, they have an unproven coach, minimal medical facilities, a training pitch that requires players to clear fox shit from, no money and a shit stadium.

The only thing our young players might learn are.

A familiarity with their sprinkler system, they have probably seen it before.

An understanding that other League One clubs have better facilities than the Fewers.

Fanta can be faked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Fewers don't seem that enthusiastic about it.

http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/15350/widdrington-wants-closer-links-teds

They'd probably give their mum's left bollock for a player like Morrell, now a full Welsh international, rather than believing their 'yoof setup' is any good because one of them qualifies for Gibraltar reserves because a monkey ripped the wing mirror off his dad's Austin Maxi at a safari park once.

Edited by Bristol Rob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Are you telling us they can actually divide up that dilapidated dump into "sections"?

Talk about trying to big up dirty plastic chairs and moth-eaten tents.

yes that's correct - we've got the 'Singing Section', they've got the 'Minging Section(s)', they copy everything FFS

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bert tann said:

We will be moving North not South and in homage to our President's favourite team one end of the ground will be called "the Shed"

So will the other end and the two sides.

That’s nonsense Bert,your lot went south years ago .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/exclusive-bristol-rovers-want-forge-3579775

Personally I hope we never help them out with our promising young talents ever again. Could turn them from a mid-table side into a promotion challenging one. 

They can **** off.

We want our young players playing for the other 22 teams in L1 AGAINST the 15ers, ideally scoring against them

Hinder them, not help them.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Although LJ and the coaching staff at City are the primary force in deciding who stays to play,  and who goes on loan, luckily, we have one man at the top who has the final say over everything. Steve Lansdown has principles and I’m sure he would rather show his backside in Burton's window (with apologies to Gary Johnson) than allow loans to Bristol Rovers 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

**** them.

All that pathetic whining they did when Taylor joined us, throwing accusations left, right and centre. I hope we never consider sending any players there.

• Like 6

"I can't comment on that [the Matty Taylor transfer] because I wasn't here, but certain people at this club will say the right thing wasn't done on one or two occasions." 

Still blaming us for their own mistake of giving Taylor a ridiculously low buy out clause then?  

Widdrington can say what he likes, but we all know who burned the bridges in the first place. Wael of Fortune, trying to be a hero to the blue few. "No more transfers between the two clubs". Print that bastard!

• Like 3