IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

Looks like Ben Garner is going to be manager there.

Really surprised by this because, trying to be as unbiased as possible, I think it’s actually a very good appointment by the sags. Very inexperienced but he’s rated really highly by a lot of top managers. Think it’s a much better appointment than a Nathan Jones or a Hollowhead would’ve been. In terms of realism for the sags, I think this is genuinely the best appointment they could’ve made.

46 minutes ago, Mattyisared said:

Really surprised by this because, trying to be as unbiased as possible, I think it’s actually a very good appointment by the sags. Very inexperienced but he’s rated really highly by a lot of top managers. Think it’s a much better appointment than a Nathan Jones or a Hollowhead would’ve been. In terms of realism for the sags, I think this is genuinely the best appointment they could’ve made.

I’d never heard of him, but that’s not saying much. After having a quick Google (that’s not a euphemism for something unmentionable on the forum) he seems to have some decent coaching experience. If he joins Rovers, the test will be can he convert this into management 

2 hours ago, Mattyisared said:

Has he seen their training facilities yet?  Turned down Bradford City last year.

4 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I’d never heard of him, but that’s not saying much. After having a quick Google (that’s not a euphemism for something unmentionable on the forum) he seems to have some decent coaching experience. If he joins Rovers, the test will be can he convert this into management 

Spent a lot of time working with Pulis, so a real long ball merchant I suspect.

12 hours ago, Gazred said:

The Chase (they're coming for us).

Blankety Blank (Wally's cheque book and pen.)

The Great British Tent Off.

Strictly Come Camping.

12 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

Can't Pay, Won't Pay

Neighbours From Hell

11 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

News at Tent

8 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Cash Trapped.

The Good Old Days,   ...…ON THE BUSES .

rovers.JPG

Edited by WhistleHappy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

The Memorial ground is a .... Blott on the Landscape ( for our younger readers, this show is 35 years old)

And still as funny now as it was then. it`s a shame they never adapted more Tom Sharpe books, they are truly hilarious. I think they`ve only done Blott, Wilt and Porterhouse Blue.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I actually think this is one of the lowest ebbs in my lifetime as a Rovers fan. The fact that Mansfield, 18th in League Two have managed to  poach a manager who has-within one calendar year and on a very limited budget- from relegation certs to 4th in the table (we could even go second today) should confirm to every Rovers fan that the current board have absolutely no interest other than their own financial one in the club. It should also be remembered that the manager was employed on the cheap, I didn't even realise he was at the club until his appointment!

Against all the odds, Coughlan has done a great job, probably too good for the owners who have now been exposed for what they are. Mind you, there are a few who have now turned on our former manager for the way he left (personally I think once he was refused permission to talk to Mansfield, he engineered a situation which forced the boards hand) Those who now  blame Coughlan, remind me of people who blame those on benefits and immigrants  for all of societies ills rather than looking upward to those who created the conditions in the first place.

Anyway, the point I am eventually trying to get to, is that many people on here have said 'City fans wouldn't take this' and my answer to that is, yes you would, all football fans do.

Sure there may be a few banners and shouts of 'Sack the board', but there are very, very few occasions this has any effect and even when it has worked (Blackpool for example) it takes years and the damage has already been done.

There is very little appetite for people to get involved with anything let alone football as long as they are doing reasonably okay.  I saw nothing but scorn thrown at Labours plans to change how football clubs were owned ,bizarrely in my social circle by a few people who go to games in Germany because they love watching games over there, but also in the wider general media.

The Premier League certainly changed football and there are many, many of those changes that have improved it but it has been at a cost to some and while forums are full of fans crying crocodile tears over the likes of Bury, most of them couldn't give a flying **** as long as their team are okay. City fans have very little to moan about, but if Lansdown's interest did ever wane, any anti board shouts would soon disappear as a couple of wins came along. Tis the way of the world :)

Gas Chat is that way mate ⬇️

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I actually think this is one of the lowest ebbs in my lifetime as a Rovers fan. The fact that Mansfield, 18th in League Two have managed to  poach a manager who has-within one calendar year and on a very limited budget- from relegation certs to 4th in the table (we could even go second today) should confirm to every Rovers fan that the current board have absolutely no interest other than their own financial one in the club. It should also be remembered that the manager was employed on the cheap, I didn't even realise he was at the club until his appointment!

Against all the odds, Coughlan has done a great job, probably too good for the owners who have now been exposed for what they are. Mind you, there are a few who have now turned on our former manager for the way he left (personally I think once he was refused permission to talk to Mansfield, he engineered a situation which forced the boards hand) Those who now  blame Coughlan, remind me of people who blame those on benefits and immigrants  for all of societies ills rather than looking upward to those who created the conditions in the first place.

Anyway, the point I am eventually trying to get to, is that many people on here have said 'City fans wouldn't take this' and my answer to that is, yes you would, all football fans do.

Sure there may be a few banners and shouts of 'Sack the board', but there are very, very few occasions this has any effect and even when it has worked (Blackpool for example) it takes years and the damage has already been done.

There is very little appetite for people to get involved with anything let alone football as long as they are doing reasonably okay.  I saw nothing but scorn thrown at Labours plans to change how football clubs were owned ,bizarrely in my social circle by a few people who go to games in Germany because they love watching games over there, but also in the wider general media.

The Premier League certainly changed football and there are many, many of those changes that have improved it but it has been at a cost to some and while forums are full of fans crying crocodile tears over the likes of Bury, most of them couldn't give a flying **** as long as their team are okay. City fans have very little to moan about, but if Lansdown's interest did ever wane, any anti board shouts would soon disappear as a couple of wins came along. Tis the way of the world :)

Reading between the lines of Coughlan's statement, I think he said he had taken the club as far as he can.....In other words he has been told by the board to forget signing anyone in January and prepare to lose your better players. Fair play to him for reaching the heights he did and as you say possibly even 2nd today if he had stayed but it seems there is only one way to go now (Just ask Status Quo).

Football is cyclical and yes there will come a day when the mighty Teds will be without the Lansdowns but that day is a long way off (John Lansdown being a City fan following them home and away since a boy).

Sorry to say it Miah but 4th / 2nd in the league and 3rd round of the cup may be as good as it gets for The Gas for many long years to come.

It’ll be interesting to see what attendance will be attracted to today’s ‘top of the table’ fixture. It should be decent but Peterborough aren’t the best supported team on the road (though we know who is); this Saturday in the EFL calendar is notoriously poor for attendances as people focus on Christmas shopping expeditions; the 15ers have allowed their manager to up sticks and leave for a lower league team without putting up a fight; the Olympia International Horse Show is on BBC1 all afternoon. 

They should easily break the 9K barrier but I can’t see it myself. 

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

The key difference is that City fans do that and your fans don't.

This oddly is taken as a badge of pride by Rovers' fans who see themselves as super loyal compared to the fickle teds.

Sometimes you need a change of ownership.  I'm very happy with the City board but I don't see why the Rovers' fans are so passive when their board is running up debts of £3m a year against the ground.

City is making much bigger losses (£25m operating losses, this year offset by £36m profits on player sales) but these are being regularly converted to equity (= written off when you already own 95% of the club) and all small shareholders were offered their full money back last month with many of them,  including me, taking that.  You wouldn't get anything like that offer for your supporters club shares.

Rovers' fans are like frogs being slowly boiled; when the club loses its ground and starts "temporarily" renting at Twerton or The Lawn will there be "sack the board" protests even then?

What will it take? Playing in the Downs League and operating out of a garden shed; keeping yourselves warm on a winter's day by hugging tight around you your supreme loyalty compared to them gurt fickle teds playing in the Premiership in their state of the art stadium.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I think there is a very different situation at BCFC. The club as a whole is under more scrutiny than BRFC. This comes from the supporters themselves being less content with mediocrity but, also from the local media. We have a local media who are very passive in their Journalistic investigative values towards BRFC, when it comes to digging the dirt and reporting that dirt within their publications. The recent times of no news regarding the club (BRFC) and it's turmoil, is proof of this. If this were BCFC in a similar situation, there would have been hounding (journalistic investigation) of managers, directors, club staff, fans spokespersons, in an attempt to get a story and possibly, dare I say it, upset the apple cart.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

26 minutes ago, Rich said:

I think there is a very different situation at BCFC. The club as a whole is under more scrutiny than BRFC. This comes from the supporters themselves being less content with mediocrity but, also from the local media. We have a local media who are very passive in their Journalistic investigative values towards BRFC, when it comes to digging the dirt and reporting that dirt within their publications. The recent times of no news regarding the club (BRFC) and it's turmoil, is proof of this. If this were BCFC in a similar situation, there would have been hounding (journalistic investigation) of managers, directors, club staff, fans spokespersons, in an attempt to get a story and possibly, dare I say it, upset the apple cart.

Print that Bastard @Miah Dennehy

• Like 1