IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

It is, but the new seating/standing arrangements haven't helped one iota. 

Not at all when we were exiled to the ayteo in the late 90’s we were told you can never make an atmosphere in that stand due to the roof,

yet I see away fans in there doing it all the time,

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

People want different things. 

I really can't understand why people prefer the new ground over, say, the old East End. 

I know what the arguments are, but I don't agree with them one bit, aside from disabled facilities. 

I don't want to buy beer or burgers or anything else at a football ground. I want atmosphere, nostalgia and a sense of belonging. The new ground development subtracts from those things. 

Classed as 'progress' I guess Cotswold.

Like you, I miss the days of terracing and the EE but we've moved on from them and have to go with the modern day stuff or stop altogether. The gate is, obviously a far better stadium nowadays and the facilities and money making opportunities are wonderful but I do miss the 'altogether' feeling of the Gate of yesteryear. 

One thing I do know is we can't go back!

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Like you, I miss the days of terracing and the EE but we've moved on from them and have to go with the modern day stuff or stop altogether. The gate is, obviously a far better stadium nowadays and the facilities and money making opportunities are wonderful but I do miss the 'altogether' feeling of the Gate of yesteryear. 

Get with the times or get left behind

or city (modern club) and rovers (stuck in 1890’s)

adapt or die

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Get with the times or get left behind

or city (modern club) and rovers (stuck in 1890’s)

adapt or die

I get that.

I think an area of unallocated seating anywhere might help with the atmosphere though if the Atyeo is to be permanently out of bounds for home fans, because friends and acquaintances have become scattered.

You do tend to see a lot more home fans stood at other modern stadia when watching televised matches.

10 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Hollowhead on Colin Murray's podcast 'At Home With ' this month . Tune in around the 35 minute mark. Puts to bed all the clowns who ever wanted him as our manager. 

He did go on to give City a lot of credit and said good things about LJ and SL as well as saying there's no doubt we'll get to the premier league.

Still an arsehole though :yes:

16 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

Another car crash interview for our enjoyment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07y13wn

From 17:00 onwards.

"For reasons of confidentiality I can't comment on that"

He comes across as perfect for them, laughing at Twentymans question came across very, very poor. Has the sort of attitude of "I haven't got to tell you, or the supporters anything".

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

We can; stop pumping money and we can drop down the leagues.

Yes we'll be in Div 4 but we can have terracing, half the team will be local, ticket prices will be cheap, and the atmosphere will be back.

The firehose of TV money has turned the Premier League into an international franchise league and that's now creeping into the top half of the Championship.

If all you support is the team name then you're probably delighted that the Man City team is full of millionaire players with no connnection with Manchester or even the UK.  If however you started supporting them because they were your local team and represented Manchester then very little of the reason you supported them in the first place still exists.

I'd still want the club to be well run though; just not having £25m a year poured into to buy foreign internationals who have no idea where Bristol is.

I am certainly not envious of the gas's financial maelstrom but I am of their terracing and their non-international squad.

As I've said before I'm beginning to think that the football experience that I used to really enjoy is now to be found in non-league.

50 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Hollowhead on Colin Murray's podcast 'At Home With ' this month . Tune in around the 35 minute mark. Puts to bed all the clowns who ever wanted him as our manager. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p080l174

? even their top priced player of all time ( a full Tilson) owned such a crap car, it broke down and he had to borrow his missus's RED car!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, myol'man said:

Training ground 'swamp' an issue

In his post-match press conference, Ollie Clarke made a comment that Rovers’ training base at Cribbs is a “swamp”. 

The skipper added it is “not pretty or nice”, and it is not the first time the facility – home to Western League outfit Cribbs FC – has been criticised. 

Previous manager Graham Coughlan was said to be unhappy with the playing surfaces there, concerned it was contributing to injuries, and there is no doubt the facility is not up to the lofty standards of some of their League One rivals.

Rovers’ lease for Cribbs expires in the summer, and the club are sure to be exploring their options over the coming weeks and months.

Of course, the club still own the 28-acre site at Almondsbury off the M5, but no building work for the new training ground project – known as The Colony – has begun and the land remains undeveloped.

MTG !!!

Can they not Drain The Swamp?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

He did go on to give City a lot of credit and said good things about LJ and SL as well as saying there's no doubt we'll get to the premier league.

Still an arsehole though :yes:

His funniest comment (after saying we were heading towards the Prem) was..."I can't see us getting there at the moment"

1 hour ago, bert tann said:

I’ve just heard that our development squad players who are on the verge of the first team receive 230 per week plus a luxury sleeping bag and groundsheet.

Jimmy Hill will be delighted.

If they aren’t quite good enough to get into the Rovers team, I’d say they were being over paid..! 

4 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

Through gritted teeth. The red car thing was borderline psychotic I thought.

I understand this 100%.  I had to buy a van when I was working up on Kintyre.  

I'd only hand over the cash once the dealer agreed to describe it on the receipt as "Peugeot Bipper Van, colour Adriatic Dawn".  

It was NOT bl*e, I tell 'E

peugeot-bipper.jpg

Edited by JackofromSanJavier
add image
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Gasbuster said:

It seems to me that most of them on ass-shat are referring to Al Qadi as "Wally" these days :laughcont:

Next time the Fewers draw/win a throw in, they'll be first for a ban from their completely reasonable forum as calling Wally 'Wally' as they are clearly Teds.

Can't remember which thread it was over there, but one of them reckons fans ownership is the way forward, 40,000 fans, of which 8,500 of them can apparently donate money every month to make them rich!

5 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

We can; stop pumping money and we can drop down the leagues.

Yes we'll be in Div 4 but we can have terracing, half the team will be local, ticket prices will be cheap, and the atmosphere will be back.

The firehose of TV money has turned the Premier League into an international franchise league and that's now creeping into the top half of the Championship.

If all you support is the team name then you're probably delighted that the Man City team is full of millionaire players with no connnection with Manchester or even the UK.  If however you started supporting them because they were your local team and represented Manchester then very little of the reason you supported them in the first place still exists.

I'd still want the club to be well run though; just not having £25m a year poured into to buy foreign internationals who have no idea where Bristol is.

I am certainly not envious of the gas's financial maelstrom but I am of their terracing and their non-international squad.

As I've said before I'm beginning to think that the football experience that I used to really enjoy is now to be found in non-league.

Re your last sentence, I’ve found it, it is. 

• Like 1