IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

Having only started watching City when we got relegated with ward, there wasn't many programs or highlights to watch for me as there is now. It was mostly teletext and highlights coverage the following day I believe?

Either way i remember rovers had some decent players at the time. Walters, Cureton, Roberts, Astafiez?( really cant be bothered to check spelling ). Ellington was good but Lita was better. 

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

Debt doesn't go away however, and I'll wager that the moment we get back to a business as usual position, they'll be coming out all guns blazing.

We’ll have to see on that but it takes the pressure off at the moment . Everyone seems to be sensible at the moment financially business wise thankfully 

52 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Got a link? That would be dead handy with me having two grand of VAT due next weekend and Mrs LR having had all her markets and craft fairs cancelled. I saw they were considering it but didn`t know it was a thing now.

I haven’t sorry. Best to go on HMRC website . There are helpline numbers. Good luck getting through. 

• Thanks 1

On 19 March 2020 at 09:19, Rudolf Hucker said:

Someone posted on here last week, a (probably baseless) rumour that a rift had formed between Wael and his family due, allegedly to him having been caught in flagrante. Disgusting if true. (Getting caught, I mean).

I wonder if this is linked to Hani stepping down from Dwane in a sort of "you're on your own now, bro"  sort of way? 

Caught in flagrante, eh? Was it the watch that gave him away or the bag of out of date crisps? 

On 19/03/2020 at 00:15, Bristol Rob said:

The Fewers have a thread about what City players they have previously admired, and in the name of self distancing solidarity, I will offer up a name of one of theirs.

Barry Hayles.

I know Ward was interested in buying him but was deemed as a non starter (we got Soren Anderson and Tony Thorpe instead - as told to me by Scott Davidson) but what former Fewers would you have been delighted with?

https://gaschat.co.uk/thread/16097/liked?page=1

Nigel Martyn and Gary Mabbutt

Edited by Sweeneys Penalties
  • Like 1

On 19/03/2020 at 00:15, Bristol Rob said:

The Fewers have a thread about what City players they have previously admired, and in the name of self distancing solidarity, I will offer up a name of one of theirs.

Barry Hayles.

I know Ward was interested in buying him but was deemed as a non starter (we got Soren Anderson and Tony Thorpe instead - as told to me by Scott Davidson) but what former Fewers would you have been delighted with?

https://gaschat.co.uk/thread/16097/liked?page=1

The names that have been suggested in response to this question illustrate something that is probably interesting  to younger City fans - ie in the past Rovers sometimes had good teams and sometimes were on a par with City.  Today this concept is totally unbelievable 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Mike Barrett (RIP) was bloody good and I always had a bit of admiration for the Glastonbury Grocer, Paul Randall.

forgot all about Mike Barrett. I considered Randall but he sort of overlapped with Cheesley, Ritchie and Royle so I didnt include him. The only other one I may have considered as a squad player was Geoff Twentyman. He wasnt great but he was steady

Edited by Sweeneys Penalties
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Gary Mabbutt

Many years ago, I played with his brother Kevin (spoiled brat) against Gary (Parkway Juniors, coached by their father, Ray, a hard, tough old bastard, albeit very friendly and, interestingly, very encouraging of us, even we were his team's opponents).

I never got to really know Gary, but he was always a fair opponent and very friendly, and I must admit I was pleased it was him of the two brothers who went on to achieve the heights he did, especially given his well-documemeted medical problems.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Mike Barrett (RIP) was bloody good and I always had a bit of admiration for the Glastonbury Grocer, Paul Randall.

Barrett was a brill player - it was tragic that he died too soon - and Randall was one that we had on trial before he turned pro - but we let him go cos he wasn’t good enough - he ended up playing for Wells City until he was 47 years old, he also ran a pub in that City when I lived there ...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Barrett was a brill player - it was tragic that he died too soon - and Randall was one that we had on trial before he turned pro - but we let him go cos he wasn’t good enough - he ended up playing for Wells City until he was 47 years old, he also ran a pub in that City when I lived there ...

According to Wiki we had Barrett on trial too but took it no further.

• Like 1

I will briefly turn this 2015er "love in" on it's head, and mention some of theirs I definitiely would NOT want.

Devon White : he was awful, yet we always managed to make him look like a world beater

Hollowhead : for obvious reasons

Tom Nicholls : 4 goals in about 100 apps

And the worst of all :

Step forward Christian McClean.

My sag mates told me that whenever he was warming up as substitute, a large part of the crowd would start singing along to this tune :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pct1uEhAqBQ

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Didn't particularly like Vaughan Jones, but a great captain for them, all the same.

He really was a nasty bastard, like Ian Alexander but more subtle with it and with a bit more skill. Where Alexander would just hack players down (just ask Dave Smith) and not care who saw it Jones would get them off the ball or on the blind side of the ref.

Edited by Lanterne Rouge
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

I will briefly turn this 2015er "love in" on it's head, and mention some of theirs I definitiely would NOT want.

Devon White : he was awful, yet we always managed to make him look like a world beater

Hollowhead : for obvious reasons

Tom Nicholls : 4 goals in about 100 apps

And the worst of all :

Step forward Christian McClean.

My sag mates told me that whenever he was warming up as substitute, a large part of the crowd would start singing along to this tune :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pct1uEhAqBQ

I met Cristian MacLean in my local the lord Rodney during the mid nineties . He came in with bob bloomer just after he’d been released by them. It was a mix of city and gas in there as always . After a few too many ciders I thought it would be a good idea to take the piss. To be fair to him he ignored it . A couple of weeks later we were having our presentation night in there and our manager (gashead) invited them along to give out the trophys, with the carrot of buying their beer all night. 
mclean made a point of sitting next to me saying , hello mate remember me ?
to be honest him and bloomer were brilliant lads that night , had a good drink and was even singing our club song by the end . Top night, top lads.