IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

21 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Barrett was a brill player - it was tragic that he died too soon - and Randall was one that we had on trial before he turned pro - but we let him go cos he wasn’t good enough - he ended up playing for Wells City until he was 47 years old, he also ran a pub in that City when I lived there ...

I went to school with Paul and knew him and his family very well.  I thought it was Paul's sister Vinny that ran the pub in wells though.

Knowing him so well, it always annoyed me that he signed for the Sags rather than us though ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

He really was a nasty bastard, like Ian Alexander but more subtle with it and with a bit more skill. Where Alexander would just hack players down (just ask Dave Smith) and not care who saw it Jones would get them off the ball or on the blind side of the ref.

Not 100% sure but I watched a rovers player clear the ball fairly and then proceeded to stand on the ankle of Lee Peacock and put him out of the game. It was a deliberate cynical act as he looked where the officials were prior to doing it. Think that was Jones. Also overheard him rallying the troops at a youth game against Ashton boys, by telling them to ******* kick the shit out of the opposition, he was vile.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I went to school with Paul and knew him and his family very well.  I thought it was Paul's sister Vinny that ran the pub in wells though.

Knowing him so well, it always annoyed me that he signed for the Sags rather than us though ?

It may have been his sis, I saw him behind the bar so many times it looked like he was the gaffer, but you could well be correct

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rich said:

Not 100% sure but I watched a rovers player clear the ball fairly and then proceeded to stand on the ankle of Lee Peacock and put him out of the game. It was a deliberate cynical act as he looked where the officials were prior to doing it. Think that was Jones. Also overheard him rallying the troops at a youth game against Ashton boys, by telling them to ******* kick the shit out of the opposition, he was vile.

Vaughan Jones had left Rovers quite a while before Peacock signed for us. Vaguely remember the incident you describe but it would’ve been one of the many other Sunday League style cloggers they’ve had playing for them over the years.

2 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Vaughan Jones had left Rovers quite a while before Peacock signed for us. Vaguely remember the incident you describe but it would’ve been one of the many other Sunday League style cloggers they’ve had playing for them over the years.

I wondered if that were the case. If I saw the teams I'd identify the culprit. Sort of thing Jones would do though.

On 21/03/2020 at 16:23, 77 punk said:

when rovers lost a wembley final to tranmere 1990 i am sure vaughan jones threw his losing medal away on the pitch, what a xxxx far better players than him have lost at wembley and showed more dignity

Was he trying to throw it into an envelope marked 'cash for silver (or bronze)..'...?  then realised there was no cash, and to this day, there still isn't any when it comes the sags!

1 hour ago, Rich said:

I wondered if that were the case. If I saw the teams I'd identify the culprit. Sort of thing Jones would do though.

It sounds like the sort of thing Alex Munro might have done, but he was long gone by the time Lee Peacock was playing for us.

AM was a nasty player, and I recall him breaking his leg in what was then the Gloucestershire Cup Final.

• Like 1

I think the match I was referring to was the 2007 area final at AG. They also tried to put Scotty out of the game.

Edit, I'm mixed up with my dates. They did do Scotty that year though two late tackles in quick succession. What is it with those cheating dirty barstewards?

17 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

yup, ginger/blond/balding

No wonder he was dirty, not a lot going for him.

Edited by Rich

49 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

As I recall, it happened down in the corner where the East End met the Williams Stand.

Am I imagining this, but didn't he try and take out a City player? I want to say Chris Crowe, but I am not quite sure. 

There was the guy playing for Preston that tried to do Crowe and broke his own leg. One of my earliest memories of watching City.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

As I recall, it happened down in the corner where the East End met the Williams Stand.

Am I imagining this, but didn't he try and take out a City player? I want to say Chris Crowe, but I am not quite sure. 

13 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

There was the guy playing for Preston that tried to do Crowe and broke his own leg. One of my earliest memories of watching City.

I’m with Phil on this. My memory is of Munro trying to take out Crowe in front of the Grandstand (later Williams then Lansdown) Crowe hurdling the challenge and Munro crashing into the ringside seating. Had he connected with Crowe, it would have I’m sure been career ending for the City player.

There was absolutely no sympathy shown from any home supporters that night!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I’m with Phil on this. My memory is of Munro trying to take out Crowe in front of the Grandstand (later Williams then Lansdown) Crowe hurdling the challenge and Munro crashing into the ringside seating. Had he connected with Crowe, it would have I’m sure been career ending for the City player.

There was absolutely no sympathy shown from any home supporters that night!

Thank you, it’s over 50 years ago and I would have been very young, so not surprised I am getting mixed up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rich said:

Peacock had to come off injured in the Christmas 2000 derby match at Ashton Gate. If that’s the game we’re thinking of then it would’ve been one of these assorted Chavs, thugs and wrong uns...

C9C3B711-4A05-43F2-B615-709432D0D7D8.jpeg

3 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Peacock had to come off injured in the Christmas 2000 derby match at Ashton Gate. If that’s the game we’re thinking of then it would’ve been one of these assorted Chavs, thugs and wrong uns...

Culkin would fit perfectly into today's squad playing at the Mem in front of their meagre support - so used to being Home Alone.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I think it's unlikely that it was  C Wilkes, despite the Rovers obviously being every referee's favourite other team. :) 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Nice to see they gave a fan a game.....

Oh....sorry....misread Bignot....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

Nice to see they gave a fan a game.....

Oh....sorry....misread Bignot....

He was the whopper who scored after about 30 seconds. I stumbled, pissed up, into the Atyeo just in time to see the net bulge. Bet those sags down the other end and watching on Sky thought they were going to have a great Christmas at that point.