IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

25 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

There is no reason, it was a hypothetical question, and Lansdown would be acting purely out of a desire to reunite people.

True, but like I said, it was purely hypothetical.

I hope it doesn't come to this point purely because if the economy crashed so badly that clubs just disappeared (quite possible) then there would be far greater problems facing us than worrying about football and the plight of our two teams.

We have to hope that life returns to some degree of normality on a global scale to provide a base on which luxury activities like football can still be part of our lives.

As hypothetical as your question is, I don't want to consider it for these reasons. By default, I actually want Rovers to survive this episode and for you to still have your club - that would be a measure of us coming out of this terrifying time relatively unscathed.

38 minutes ago, Rich said:

I'm of the belief that until we have only one league club in this city, the chances of true success for any club are diminished

I have no idea why this would be the case. 

Look at Sheffield, two clubs and United are doing very well. 

Actually are there any other 2 club cities apart from us, Sheffield, Manchester and Liverpool? Good quiz question here. 

Edited by Selred

10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I think BBS3 has got the right end of the stick Eddie, the few sensible gasheads can see that if he is paying in £3m a year to maintain the club, it doesn't leave much room for any investment, let alone that required to make them competitive in Bristol or anywhere else.

Yes, I may have been over-compensating for my expecting them to have been bust by now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Selred said:

Actually are there any other 2 club cities apart from us, Sheffield, Manchester and Liverpool? Good quiz question here. 

Usually phrased as "How many English league derbies?".

Straight in with the hard one: Port Vale vs Sjoke.

7 minutes ago, Selred said:

I guess we are not counting London? I often think of Southampton and Portsmouth as two sides of the same coin although, Saints fans probably consider Bournemouth their local derby these days.

19 minutes ago, Xiled said:

I hope it doesn't come to this point purely because if the economy crashed so badly that clubs just disappeared (quite possible) then there would be far greater problems facing us than worrying about football and the plight of our two teams.

We have to hope that life returns to some degree of normality on a global scale to provide a base on which luxury activities like football can still be part of our lives.

As hypothetical as your question is, I don't want to consider it for these reasons. By default, I actually want Rovers to survive this episode and for you to still have your club - that would be a measure of us coming out of this terrifying time relatively unscathed.

I agree, for now. 
How can we laugh at Rovers losing & getting relegated, if they aren’t there to do it..?! 
Eventually though, yes. Go bust and die a slow painful death. But because they are a bunch of delusional cretins - not because there’s a global pandemic..! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

There is no reason, it was a hypothetical question, and Lansdown would be acting purely out of a desire to reunite people.

Well for one, most of your fans won't go in Trashton to even watch the Rugby or a gig, so why would they go there to watch us Sheeds (as it would be us because none of your squad would get in our matchday one). Secondly, we are a near sellout most home games, so even if they were willing to go down there we just wouldn't have the space, and thousands upon thousands would be locked out (like most of your away games).

2 hours ago, Selred said:

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Usually phrased as "How many English league derbies?".

Straight in with the hard one: Port Vale vs Sjoke.

Only missing Birmingham here.

And Nottingham should be if County weren't run atrociously in years past. County 3rd in the national league atm.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

An opportunity to relive one of the greatest moments in sporting history.

A chance to tell the good people of Bristol how much you laughed at the Thatcher years, a dog dying and how we were all there in the away end.

Any one asked for Spurs v Rovers ? 
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Tottenham.

• Like 1

One problem with this merging nonsense is that under EFL rules, as I understand it, any merger would have to result in the merged clubs taking over the lower clubs position in the EFL.

Non-starter.

Edited by bcfc01

4 hours ago, Selred said:

Hornets nest here, as there are a host of opinions and valid reasons why we should and should not be competing at the top table. I believe we could and we should be aiming for the very top, as a regional club not just a Bristol club. There is a massive latent population in the football wilderness on our doorstep, from Gloucester to Taunton and in some cases further. Should we be able to make the step up and, more importantly, maintain that step up we should aim to tap into that possible support. I believe that is partly why Bristol Sport has been put in place. It is working to a degree with evidence of increasing cross sport support and it's still in it's infancy.

We are not a city of vast population all interested in football. We are a diverse city, with a more even spread of wealth than other cities that are renowned for being supportive of their clubs. There has always been a population employed in the various parts of industry, from steel making to commerce in Bristol. Sheffield, Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham are what are classed as working class cities with a large working class support base for their clubs. Football has traditionally been a working mans game supported by working class people. There is just a much larger core of support in those larger cities.

Having said that, the game is changing and the chances of smaller less well supported clubs getting a chance is improving but, FFP will reintroduce the chances of the traditional big well supported clubs maintaining their dominance in the long term in my opinion.

I believe that to truly be successful in our city, we need to concentrate what interest there is in football, into supporting one club. I'm actually surprised that we and the cuckoos actually attract the levels of support we do, considering the historic dross we've had to put up with over the years.

6 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

IF, and although this is obviously hypothetical it suddenly doesn't seem so far fetched, football & society  is devastated by this virus, with thousands of deaths and dozens of clubs  Rovers being one of them, go to the wall. If then City survive and the league is reformed into a much smaller number of clubs, what would you think if Lansdown announced a proposal to merge the clubs, call them Bristol United , play in red and blue etc, and he is doing it purely as a gesture to bring people together after a catastrophic period of history, what would you think?

I'm not trying to be flippant about the current awful situation and I really don't think the outcome will be as bad as the picture I have painted, but I am really interested in genuine answers.

There has been a lot of talk that this virus could bring everyone together and that we will all learn a lesson from this in many other areas of life, but would this be a step too far for you?

How would you feel about having to watch many players costing over £350,000 each?

1 hour ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

I used an old hand-operated calculator/abacus when I was working at Barclays Bank in the early 70's.  

We went digital when this little beauty came out, mind. 

abacus.jpg

That's what Wally uses to sort out his pennies...

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I don't think you have anything we want/need not even a customer base. Many fans still wont enter our ground to watch rugby despite being fans for years at the mem. I have also heard of many refusing to come to the concerts we have here saying 'I'm not going to give a penny to that Lansdown'.

So in effect we would wipe you out and hold out the hand of friendship, well to be honest if I were one of you I wouldn't accept it so I don't expect you to. Society will need enough healing when we get back to the new normal, but lets keep football how it was in the rivalry sense

15 hours ago, wood_red said:

Well for one, most of your fans won't go in Trashton to even watch the Rugby or a gig, so why would they go there to watch us Sheeds (as it would be us because none of your squad would get in our matchday one). Secondly, we are a near sellout most home games, so even if they were willing to go down there we just wouldn't have the space, and thousands upon thousands would be locked out (like most of your away games).

oops, I replied to a post without reading to the end of the thread. You made the same points as me only hours apart...so we must be right then ?

42 minutes ago, RedM said:

I don't think you have anything we want/need not even a customer base. Many fans still wont enter our ground to watch rugby despite being fans for years at the mem. I have also heard of many refusing to come to the concerts we have here saying 'I'm not going to give a penny to that Lansdown'.

So in effect we would wipe you out and hold out the hand of friendship, well to be honest if I were one of you I wouldn't accept it so I don't expect you to. Society will need enough healing when we get back to the new normal, but lets keep football how it was in the rivalry sense

Yes, that was the point, I was imagining Lansdown doing it as some altruistic gesture. I think I have my answer anyway :)

19 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

IF, and although this is obviously hypothetical it suddenly doesn't seem so far fetched, football & society  is devastated by this virus, with thousands of deaths and dozens of clubs  Rovers being one of them, go to the wall. If then City survive and the league is reformed into a much smaller number of clubs, what would you think if Lansdown announced a proposal to merge the clubs, call them Bristol United , play in red and blue etc, and he is doing it purely as a gesture to bring people together after a catastrophic period of history, what would you think?

I'm not trying to be flippant about the current awful situation and I really don't think the outcome will be as bad as the picture I have painted, but I am really interested in genuine answers.

There has been a lot of talk that this virus could bring everyone together and that we will all learn a lesson from this in many other areas of life, but would this be a step too far for you?

After your lot activity wanting us to go bust in 82 and trying to get your hands on Ashton gate. The block by rovers over a bail out by the council. I for one would celebrate joyously if you went bust ( not that I think it’ll happen) . Bring people together !?? when it’s suits you and are in the shit. Boot on the other foot you’d have it on our throats . Not a chance in hell it would happen . 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

After your lot activity wanting us to go bust in 82 and trying to get your hands on Ashton gate. The block by rovers over a bail out by the council. I for one would celebrate joyously if you went bust ( not that I think it’ll happen) . Bring people together !?? when it’s suits you and are in the shit. Boot on the other foot you’d have it on our throats . Not a chance in hell it would happen . 

Its the last time I will say it was a hypothetical question that if Lansdown suggested in a spirit of altruism would you support it. I'm not suggesting it, or advocating it, I wish I hadn't asked :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I actually said: - I do not see any value there financially or altruistically.

19 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Maybe that's more likely.

I had them flagged for selling off the ground to recoup their money by this point and then selling what was left of the club on eBay so I've been proven wrong on that score.

If they are 24 million in debt I am afraid the sale of their ground won't nearly be enough to clean that slate and by a long chalk.

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Yes, that was the point, I was imagining Lansdown doing it as some altruistic gesture. I think I have my answer anyway :)

I'm currently reading a book about City's all time record cap holder for England - Billy Wedlock - and it's quite an eye opener to hear that back in the late 1890's, Bedminster and Bristol City(formally Bristol South End) we're major rivals, and yet they wanted to move forward and become a powerhouse in footballing terms, and so amalgamated.

Similar circumstances to what you're describing as there was a strong rivalry between the two, and pretty much all of the assets from one club was used compared to the other, the exception being the two grounds, whereby the newly merged club shared grounds between Ashton Gate and St Johns lane before eventually settling on Ashton Gate.

I guess, if we want Bristol to be a big player within the country, then a Bristol United would (with emotion set aside) be the best way for the entire city to get behind one club.

Personally, I'd miss the intense rivalry as there's no other game that comes close to a Bristol derby, but in my eyes, if I was to look at it objectively - a merger would be way forward to giving the WHOLE city the impetus it needs.

Fundamentally, you'd need to ask yourself why you watch football? Is it to win trophies, or is it because of the historical meaning of having generations of family supporting and following your club. My family all hailed from Bedminster and so City is my club, however I now live in Kingswood, and we know there are supporters of (any) club that are spread throughout the entire Country, if not the World. I know fans who sit next to me at Ashton Gate who are from Oxford, Southampton, and I have one friend who lives in New York and attends whenever he's back.

Football has changed now from being a locally supported club, to being a global commodity. It appears to me, that if people want an intimate part of football, then following amateur grass roots football is probably the better alternative these days, which kind of harks back to what City, Rovers and other clubs used to be like until the money came in and made it a global sport. Proof of the pudding being, how many clubs are now owned by local businesses in the community - pretty much a majority of the top 40 clubs are owned by nobody with any affiliation to the clubs locality.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

If they are 24 million in debt I am afraid the sale of their ground won't nearly be enough to clean that slate and by a long chalk.

Some of them were claiming that it could be that level by doing calculations on Bristol land values for particular uses.

It's not an area I know at all and it could have been a circle jerk but they seemed fairly confident.

4 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Its the last time I will say it was a hypothetical question that if Lansdown suggested in a spirit of altruism would you support it. I'm not suggesting it, or advocating it, I wish I hadn't asked :)

I get that Miah .I'm sure you just do it to anger up the blood ? fair play, reading your post was the first time I’ve had the rivalry emotions for a few weeks ??

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, beaverface said:

Proof of the pudding being, how many clubs are now owned by local businesses in the community - pretty much a majority of the top 40 clubs are owned by nobody with any affiliation to the clubs locality.

I would say between 1/3 and 1/4 are owned locally in the top two divisions, but I must admit there are some clubs I know very little about.