IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

• Admin
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Can't say I'm a huge fan of Collymore, and I think morally corrupt is overstating it but I tend to agree with him on this.

It’s an odd one, sometimes I think he is a grade A cock, then I read something else from him and he gets it spot on.

He’s having a rant about millionaires trying to get bailouts for their football clubs on Twitter.  Personally, if a club is paying all it’s staff, then I have no issue in the players getting full whack, but if they are expecting low paid staff to manage on 80% salary, or their club get a tax payers bailout, I think the players could at least show some solidarity.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That's an excellent idea IMO.

Would be well deserved.

I think we should find loads of other companies that lose at least 10 million a year and ask them to donate one of their major sources of revenue.

Personally, I'd like British Steel to give every NHS worker a girder.

Get the idea that it would be lovely to give key workers some sort of reward after this is over, but I think a dose of realism might need to be applied. 

It isn't just the NHS, it's volunteers, supermarkets, retail banking staff, deliver drivers, those running food banks, Deliveroo cyclist.... the list goes on.

All of these people to one degree or another put themselves on offer every time they go to work. And it isn't the responsibility of football to be providing the reward on their own.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Why should they feel guilty for having committed their lives to excelling in a well paid career..? 

Are thousands REALLY struggling financially..?!

Yes, some will be - but that’s always the case.
Most, I’d suggest, have been taken care of by the governments unprecedented support packages, or are still working on full pay (that’s not being pro Tory! I’m not pro either party, but I think they’ve done well in relating most peoples financial worries) 

I don’t get this backlash on footballers getting their wages. Why shouldn’t they..?! 

Just my opinion of course but I don't think championship players should be payed that much money and yes I believe there are many thousands of uk residents struggling financially as building society's have been inundated with request to defer their mortgage payments and food banks have never been so busy 

Edited by Shaun Taylor
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Just my option of course but I don't think championship players should be payed that much money and yes I believe there are many thousands of uk residents struggling financially as building society's have been inundated with request to defer their mortgage payments and food banks have never been so busy 

These things just aren't comparable.

Apparently Daniel Craig is being paid 25 million for the latest Bond film.

And the film might be shit. And all you get is twenty minutes more 'entertainment' than a football match. 

8 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I think we should find loads of other companies that lose at least 10 million a year and ask them to donate one of their major sources of revenue.

Personally, I'd like British Steel to give every NHS worker a girder.

Get the idea that it would be lovely to give key workers some sort of reward after this is over, but I think a dose of realism might need to be applied. 

It isn't just the NHS, it's volunteers, supermarkets, retail banking staff, deliver drivers, those running food banks, Deliveroo cyclist.... the list goes on.

All of these people to one degree or another put themselves on offer every time they go to work. And it isn't the responsibility of football to be providing the reward on their own.

Football is a big force, a big social factor in the way that other industries just aren't.

See what you're saying but these NHS (other key workers too I assume) are working at great risk, risk of exposure to a high dose of the virus with inadequate protective equipment. 

The composition of the clubs taking up the offer,  dunno what to read into it if anything.

Bournemouth, Brighton, Burnley, Southampton in PL. 

Reading at our level. 

Leyton Orient the other.

None are especially big hitters. Each are giving 1,000 tickets to the NHS.

6 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

These things just aren't comparable.

Apparently Daniel Craig is being paid 25 million for the latest Bond film.

And the film might be shit. And all you get is twenty minutes more 'entertainment' than a football match. 

That's very true but he would argue he's know all around the world and that the film will generate milllions & millions 

Edited by Shaun Taylor

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Football is a big force, a big social factor in the way that other industries just aren't.

See what you're saying but these NHS (other key workers too I assume) are working at great risk, risk of exposure to a high dose of the virus with inadequate protective equipment. 

The composition of the clubs taking up the offer,  dunno what to read into it if anything.

Bournemouth, Brighton, Burnley, Southampton in PL. 

Reading at our level. 

Leyton Orient the other.

None are especially big hitters. Each are giving 1,000 tickets to the NHS.

Great if they have capacity to accommodate them. 

Dare say l, if we fade away and the seats are unlikely to sell, the club will look for a home for them.

7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

So the visibility of a person should make them worth more?

That's like saying length of service is a qualification.

Absolute nonsense.

But Bond movies are watched all around the world so completely different and how often does a new film come out every 3 or 4 years maybe 

Edited by Shaun Taylor

3 hours ago, weepywall said:

I would say country wide yes thousands would be struggling...dont forget no payments for self employed until June at the earliest...I have family members that have gone from earning a decent living to earning £94 a week, still have to pay utility bills etc and at the moment no rent holiday, my income has gone down by 50% at least in the last week, i will be due some government money but not until June at the earliest..so I would say yes thousands will be struggling right now !!

I’m pretty sure all, if not most of them have some access to money/credit cards, until they get their lump sum back dated to 1st March. 
I’m not sure why you think footballers should shoulder guilt for it. 

5 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

But Bond movies are watched all around the world so completely different and how often does a new film come out every 3 or 4 years maybe 

And kids around the world stream every football game going. Players get what their agents negotiate and clubs pay what they think a player is worth.

7 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Deferring mortgage payments is a measure to avoid people being in financial strife, isn’t it..?

Food banks are busier because people are having more trouble accessing food, not affording it. 

Not what I'm hearing people are struggling with money as their self employed and aren't working or have been laid off and can't afford to pay their bills or don't have enough left to feed their kids etc irrelevant whether certain food items are in short supply 

Edited by Shaun Taylor

32 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Great if they have capacity to accommodate them. 

Dare say l, if we fade away and the seats are unlikely to sell, the club will look for a home for them.

Do you work in private health like @Harry

Would explain a few things. Suspect he'd be less than enthusiastic too, about the idea. 

Regarding football, I give Burnley the award so far.

1) Paying casual staff (last time I looked). 

2) If they're paying casual staff then surely regular staff are being paid. 

3) Donated to foodbank. Unsure if it was cash or food.  Their foodbank thing is football related BTW.

4) Joined the NHS tickets thing.

Now granted they're in PL and their income streams are great but Burnley FC!! :clap:

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

14 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Deferring mortgage payments is a measure to avoid people being in financial strife, isn’t it..?

Food banks are busier because people are having more trouble accessing food, not affording it. 

Added to the fact that people who did donate on a regular basis have been unable to, based on either current finance or availability of stock.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

It’s an odd one, sometimes I think he is a grade A cock, then I read something else from him and he gets it spot on.

He’s having a rant about millionaires trying to get bailouts for their football clubs on Twitter.  Personally, if a club is paying all it’s staff, then I have no issue in the players getting full whack, but if they are expecting low paid staff to manage on 80% salary, or their club get a tax payers bailout, I think the players could at least show some solidarity.

Broadly agree with this. Collymore a funny one as you say. 

Part of a reason I've been quite loud (on here anyway) about cuts is that little heard term- Solidarity. 

Possibly I'm overestimating things but my view is that if staff etc at a club have to take deferral, furlough etc- plus the small matter of the income of a club taking a hit, then players shouldn't be exempt.

I'm 'pricing in', taking it as a given that much lower paid staff will take a hit, plus of course a proportion of fans will, therefore so should players. 

How often do we hear that 'We're all in it together'? Heard it on the radio just now in fact. Well I doubt it and this does little to prove otherwise.

• Like 1

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Broadly agree with this. Collymore a funny one as you say. 

Part of a reason I've been quite loud (on here anyway) about cuts is that little heard term- Solidarity. 

Possibly I'm overestimating things but my view is that if staff etc at a club have to take deferral, furlough etc- plus the small matter of the income of a club taking a hit, then players shouldn't be exempt.

I'm 'pricing in', taking it as a given that much lower paid staff will take a hit, plus of course a proportion of fans will, therefore so should players. 

How often do we hear that 'We're all in it together'? Heard it on the radio just now in fact. Well I doubt it and this does little to prove otherwise.

The upside to players being paid their full wage, is that they are then contributing to the National coffers via their tax and NI, so it’s a bit of a double edged sword.  Even so if Levy is asking for a bailout for Tottenham as Collymore has intimated, then it’s hard to justify paying someone £150K per week.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Not what I'm hearing people are struggling with money as their self employed and aren't working or have been laid off and can't afford to pay their bills or don't have enough left to feed their kids etc irrelevant whether certain food items are in short supply 

Most Self employed people are due a lump sum. Those not working, are no worse off than last month and nobody needs to have been laid off. That’s what the Furlough status measures are for. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Would explain a few things. Suspect he'd be less than enthusiastic too, about the idea.

Probably key workers could do with a payrise but that's nothing to do with football.

Back to football, I give Burnley the award so far.

3) Donated to foodbank. Unsure if it was cash or food. 

Now granted they're in PL and their income streams are great but Burnley FC!! :clap:

I don't.

I have been self employed in the last few years and am now employed. So I get both sides of the argument in that respect, none of my previous roles have involved private health care.

I think it's great that Burnley have the revenue and capacity to support their staff and donate tickets. It's a lovely gesture.

But to expect a club losing millions a year to follow suit is naive. 

Do NHS workers deserve to be paid more? I would suggest that yes they do.

Do NHS workers 'earn' money for their employers in the way that a player might earn a football club a play off spot or a lucrative replay? No. They are paid from a pre determined budget. Which might explain the 80,000 vacancies.

They two industries are not a reasonable comparison.

Should Uber drivers get a massive spike in their take home because Lewis Hamilton gets 25 million a year from Mercedes because he can drive in a circle quicker than most people?

You need to find a similar comparison and you can possibly change my view on this, but so far you have come up with a lovely idea that has no basis in reality.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I don't.

I have been self employed in the last few years and am now employed. So I get both sides of the argument in that respect, none of my previous roles have involved private health care.

I think it's great that Burnley have the revenue and capacity to support their staff and donate tickets. It's a lovely gesture.

But to expect a club losing millions a year to follow suit is naive. 

Do NHS workers deserve to be paid more? I would suggest that yes they do.

Do NHS workers 'earn' money for their employers in the way that a player might earn a football club a play off spot or a lucrative replay? No. They are paid from a pre determined budget. Which might explain the 80,000 vacancies.

They two industries are not a reasonable comparison.

Should Uber drivers get a massive spike in their take home because Lewis Hamilton gets 25 million a year from Mercedes because he can drive in a circle quicker than most people?

You need to find a similar comparison and you can possibly change my view on this, but so far you have come up with a lovely idea that has no basis in reality.

Fair enough.

Agree on Burnley. Agree that their position is quite a bit more favourable, something I've already 'priced in'.

If we're talking about direct comparables, it's surprising that more PL clubs haven't 'done a Burnley'. Would argue clubs outside the PL can't do all of these things but some. 

For example, the blue NHS at AG thing. Lovely gesture, crowd pleasing...but ultimately meaningless.

Say for arguments sake we give 1,000 tickets in total to NHS staff. What's average adult ticket price? £30? £30k to a club losing millions.

Not talking about 1,000 per game but 1,000 in total. Say 5 games left. 200 per game. Would sooner that than other things in football it maybe spent on.

Alternatively, ie instead, food unless it's extremely long life might not be usable again at football. Donate it to South Bristol charities if it's due to expire anyway, better than binning it.

NHS don't really want to talk on politics ie wages other than to say that they're fantastic. Best thing about UK tbh.

If they're key workers there's an argument for a pay rise but again for the politics forum.

One more point on Burnley, when I read just now. The SQUAD made a donation to the foodbank and the club matched. The players either have the right mindset...

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

29 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Regarding football, I give Burnley the award so far.

3) Donated to foodbank. Unsure if it was cash or food.  Their foodbank thing is football related BTW.

Pops - why have you quoted me into a conversation of which I have no previous? 
You are a strange chap. 
Why do you have a bee in your bonnet about me working in private healthcare? It’s my job, it pays me handsomely, but it doesn’t rule my politics or my morals. 

Since you’ve brought me into your conversation, I actually agree with Bristol Rob on his points toward you. If football clubs want to offer free tickets to NHS staff then great, that’s their lookout. But you seem to be on a mission to ‘expect’ all clubs to do this. Why? Why is it footballs responsibility to do something? 
I admire the NHS folks who are currently ploughing through a tonne of shit. I’d also point out that private healthcare is also putting everything to this cause too. Non urgent appointments have all been cancelled, no new appointments are to be booked, client premiums are going to be refunded for the fact that no claims can be made whilst this is ongoing and those refunds of premiums actively impact on my commission earned, thus my own take home pay. But I’m not bothered about that, as I know my industry is doing the right thing for the greater good. 

Rob’s point about profits in football is a valid one. Most clubs don’t make money. Most actually lose a lot of money. There are multiple reasons for that, mainly player wages. Football might have a kick up it’s backside after this to sort itself out. But right now, most clubs make a loss - why are you expecting loss making businesses to offer up free stuff. 
Many retail outlets have been feeling the pinch lately, making losses - maybe River Island should start making face masks instead of menswear and give 10 million of them away to every nhs worker, every delivery driver, every shop assistant, etc. 

Why is it footballs job? 

• Hmmm 1