IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

5 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I found myself around Horfield yesterday and thought I’d take my exercise around the Mem. 
Here are some of the photos I took of my visit.....

7CE629EC-F853-4D18-BEDD-1FA50AE9570D.jpeg

I'm calling you out as a liar.  I almost believed you were at the Mem until this last photo, which is clearly of horseshit.....and we all know that no horses dare tread those parts anymore!  

Edited by Steve Watts
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Is that to June 2020 then, considering these accounts were for June 2019? 

A year from the date of singing so Feb 21. Previous were signed in May so ran to May 20.

Whilst I'm now thinking it isn't an issue technically this now means that the guarantee runs out before the next accounts have to be filed.

15 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

"confirmed his intention to maintain"

Rather than "confirmed to maintain"

Bit of a difference with one being a cop out and the other being definitive.

Isn't the usual wording "guarantee to maintain support" ?

Pass. There isn't a financial guarantee in place anyway it's down to whether the auditors believe him so will want to see proof of funds and track record of supporting companies.

He could just say "nah" next week though it would seriously damage his business credibility.

As per my previous posts I don't think it an issue now. I don't know why everything in the garden is suddenly rosy but they're acting as if it is.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

I'm calling you out as a liar.  I almost believed you were at the Mem until this last photo, which is clearly of horseshit.....and we all know that no horses dare tread those parts anymore!  

I can see why you’d come to that conclusion - but where else better to avoid bumping into Rovers fans, than at the Mem..? They are all boycotting there, aren’t they..? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

A year from the date of singing so Feb 21. Previous were signed in May so ran to May 20.

Whilst I'm now thinking it isn't an issue technically this now means that the guarantee runs out before the next accounts have to be filed.

Pass. There isn't a financial guarantee in place anyway it's down to whether the auditors believe him so will want to see proof of funds and track record of supporting companies.

He could just say "nah" next week though it would seriously damage his business credibility.

As per my previous posts I don't think it an issue now. I don't know why everything in the garden is suddenly rosy but they're acting as if it is.

Also, he will have the get out due to the lockdown. Signed the accounts and said he intends to maintain the company for a year in Feb, but that was before he could have known about the current situation, if he does now want to back out, he has the excuse, hasn't just changed his mind etc...

• Like 1

Anyway,  here's my attempt.

The sags on about da famous quarterz, can anybody on here remember seeing them play in them back in the day?

I don't know when it was mind, but  the earliest shirt I can remember them in was blue and white stripes.

Harold Jarman, Doug Hillard, (yes him in the sports shop, nice man) Ray Mabbutt and the like.  They were a different breed back then!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Just my opinion of course but I don't think championship players should be payed that much money and yes I believe there are many thousands of uk residents struggling financially as building society's have been inundated with request to defer their mortgage payments and food banks have never been so busy 

Deferring mortgage payments is a measure to avoid people being in financial strife, isn’t it..?

Food banks are busier because people are having more trouble accessing food, not affording it. 

21 minutes ago, 42nite said:

Anyway,  here's my attempt.

The sags on about da famous quarterz, can anybody on here remember seeing them play in them back in the day?

I don't know when it was mind, but  the earliest shirt I can remember them in was blue and white stripes.

Harold Jarman, Doug Hillard, (yes him in the sports shop, nice man) Ray Mabbutt and the like.  They were a different breed back then!

We certainly were a different breed back then. Can you imagine one of today’s generation of “cornflake”  managers being capable of successfully steering the magnificent vessel  which is Bristol Rovers whilst .....

Launching the career of the Fab Four (Jarman, Biggs, Hamilton & Jones)

Solving the Cuban missile crisis by writing a stern letter to the FA

And still have time for a protracted bedding of Christine Keeler without her ever squealing.    (To the News of the World)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 28/03/2020 at 14:11, Eddie Hitler said:

It does seem incredibly far fetched.

Football clubs have survived two world wars.

. . . and don't forget the sags fell out of the league in 1939 and that's after borrowing players off of us. Hitler saved them from applying for re election

And I thought this thread was about the blue few but now it's turning into a thread about inequality.

Gregor McWhatsisface is shit stirring by throwing in a grenade and walking away (I am not a fan of journo's at the moment). I have no idea why? Maybe he's a WUM, a troll? Maybe he is jealous?

These footballers have a skill that is used to entertain thousands and millions, depending on which club they play for.
Before Jimmy Hill came along, it was the owners of clubs who benefitted from these skills and rightly, the players now benefit from those skills.
No matter what Joe public is going through at the moment, there would be no justification what so ever to try and deny players, or shame them, to earn a wage no matter how obscene it might appear. I suspect the majority of these footballers are not born with silver spoons in their mouths but worked hard to get where they are now and I don't begrudge them their money or presume to tell them what they can or can not earn.

Some of the posts at the moment seem to be nothing more than envy.

3 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

And I thought this thread was about the blue few but now it's turning into a thread about inequality.

Gregor McWhatsisface is shit stirring by throwing in a grenade and walking away (I am not a fan of journo's at the moment). I have no idea why? Maybe he's a WUM, a troll? Maybe he is jealous?

These footballers have a skill that is used to entertain thousands and millions, depending on which club they play for.
Before Jimmy Hill came along, it was the owners of clubs who benefitted from these skills and rightly, the players now benefit from those skills.
No matter what Joe public is going through at the moment, there would be no justification what so ever to try and deny players, or shame them, to earn a wage no matter how obscene it might appear. I suspect the majority of these footballers are not born with silver spoons in their mouths but worked hard to get where they are now and I don't begrudge them their money or presume to tell them what they can or can not earn.

Some of the posts at the moment seem to be nothing more than envy.

Couldn't agree more. Aside from the 1 in a million chance of having both the ability and desire to want to be a footballer, their lives are pretty much on hold for the duration of their careers.

Fancy a curry Friday? No. I am within .4% of my body fat limit.

Taking the kids swimming Sunday morning? Depends how we do Saturday, if we have a shocker, then we might get dragged in Sunday morning.. 

Okay, let's have a pint Monday. Sorry, no can do, got a game Tuesday.

What about a drink at Christmas? You joking? 3 games in 9 days.

Well, come over NYE.......

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Couldn't agree more. Aside from the 1 in a million chance of having both the ability and desire to want to be a footballer, their lives are pretty much on hold for the duration of their careers.

Fancy a curry Friday? No. I am within .4% of my body fat limit.

Taking the kids swimming Sunday morning? Depends how we do Saturday, if we have a shocker, then we might get dragged in Sunday morning.. 

Okay, let's have a pint Monday. Sorry, no can do, got a game Tuesday.

What about a drink at Christmas? You joking? 3 games in 9 days.

Well, come over NYE.......

Rubbish Rob,

Thanks to you all players now know that its easy to score goals, all they need to do is have a couple of fags and hey presto the ball flies into the net!   

Mind you packets of fags are so expensive nowadays I guess that goes some way towards justifying their large pay packets. 

Are ciggies tax deductible for footballers, can they claim back VAT as a business expense?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Rubbish Rob,

Thanks to you all players now know that its easy to score goals, all they need to do is have a couple of fags and hey presto the ball flies into the net!   

Mind you packets of fags are so expensive nowadays I guess that goes some way towards justifying their large pay packets. 

Are ciggies tax deductible for footballers, can they claim back VAT as a business expense?

Dunno!

Bristol Sport buy my 'baccy for me and pay me 35k a week to smoke 'em!

• Like 2

Strong rumour that Sainsbury and the Gas will resume talks on the future of The Memorial Stadium Bristol later this morning.

It's believed an urgently convened video conference has been arranged between bosses of both organisations for 11am today.

No official confirmation has been forthcoming from either party a brief announcement is expected around midday... No details of the shock move will be released following the debacle of false speculation and misinformation during previous negotiations on a similar project a few tears ago.

Those proceedings ended acrimoniously, and a virtual news blackout is expected this time around.  

Potentially this could be great news for fans and connections of BRFC. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Strong rumour that Sainsbury and the Gas will resume talks on the future of The Memorial Stadium Bristol later this morning.

It's believed an urgently convened video conference has been arranged between bosses of both organisations for 11am today.

No official confirmation has been forthcoming from either party a brief announcement is expected around midday... No details of the shock move will be released following the debacle of false speculation and misinformation during previous negotiations on a similar project a few tears ago.

Those proceedings ended acrimoniously, and a virtual news blackout is expected this time around.  

Potentially this could be great news for fans and connections of BRFC. 

Is this an April Fool’s?

8 hours ago, bert tann said:

We certainly were a different breed back then. Can you imagine one of today’s generation of “cornflake”  managers being capable of successfully steering the magnificent vessel  which is Bristol Rovers whilst .....

Launching the career of the Fab Four (Jarman, Biggs, Hamilton & Jones)

Solving the Cuban missile crisis by writing a stern letter to the FA

And still have time for a protracted bedding of Christine Keeler without her ever squealing.    (To the News of the World)

Good summary of some of the major jobs performed by previous Rovers managers, but you’ve missed the most important one - weeding the flower beds behind the goals. The younger OTIB readers will probably be unaware of Rovers having flower beds at Eastville. This is probably their only real claim to fame. Much more so than da famous quarters. Liverpool had the Kop. Arsenal had the North Bank. Rovers had flower beds 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Good summary of some of the major jobs performed by previous Rovers managers, but you’ve missed the most important one - weeding the flower beds behind the goals. The younger OTIB readers will probably be unaware of Rovers having flower beds at Eastville. This is probably their only real claim to fame. Much more so than da famous quarters. Liverpool had the Kop. Arsenal had the North Bank. Rovers had flower beds 

News to me and thank you for classifying me as one of the "younger OTIB readers".

11 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

You had to ask?

Of course it is

Are you sure?

The rumour is circulating around Horfield already.  So much so that the Saggies have now called an end to their Sainsburys boycott,  and as we speak their total fanbase of loyal and true have formed an orderly queue outside Sainsburys waiting for it to open in a united show of forgiveness.

The queue is 20 mtrs long.

3 minutes ago, 42nite said:

Are you sure?

The rumour is circulating around Horfield already.  So much so that the Saggies have now called an end to their Sainsburys boycott,  and as we speak their total fanbase of loyal and true have formed an orderly queue outside Sainsburys waiting for it to open in a united show of forgiveness.

The queue is 20 mtrs long.

They must be practising social distancing of five metres then?

Just asked one of the Sainsbury's checkout girls at Avonmeads ... she had absolutely no idea about any Sainsbury / BRFC Mem negotiations so on that basis I'm minded to treat the rumour with a degree scepticism.. 

Could still be credible though... considering the blanket of silence thought to have been agreed by both parties.. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Will never forget the sight of Bert Tann having to ask the Eastville gardener for his ball back after it destroyed a prized rose bush... and the irate gardener telling him and his mates to go and ''play up yer own end''. 

Edited by WhistleHappy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

News to me and thank you for classifying me as one of the "younger OTIB readers".

There were periods when there were flowers behind the goals at Eastville, and periods when it was just grass. Nothing has ever changed with Rovers, as they’ve always been hard up. I guess the non-flower periods were when they couldn’t afford the seeds. 

• Like 1