IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

28 minutes ago, bert tann said:

Our former director Mr Turner (previously a business partner of Amos Brearly) told a packed AGM that the London office was costing the club £ 250 000 per year. It has now apparently been closed but since it's existence was always shrouded in mystery we can't  really be sure of that and it could still be functioning surreptitiously disguised as a launderette.

However, one thing which nobody seems to have picked up from the latest accounts is the extraordinary growth in lease commitments. Back in 2016 old Nicholas was on the hook for £ 115K but this grew to £ 511K in 2018 and by 2019 the club had non-cancellable operating lease commitments of  £  850K !   Has Mr Al-Qadi leased each one of the staff a brand new Rover 3.5-Litre Saloon ?

No doubt at all about the launderette in London. That's where they do all their dirty washing and other laundering.

• Like 1

On 08/04/2020 at 21:52, 22A said:

Not quite, just the hangover the following week.

What a glorious day. 

All those d1ck heads on the pitch, couldn’t compute inside their tiny pea brains that real Mansfield fans would troll them like they did after the final whistle so it had to be ‘shitheads’....so what do they do? What they always do, look enthusiastic and wait for the Police to make a barrier. 

What a shame that BBC Radio Bristol Twentyman programme appears to have been wiped from history. If anyone has a recording PLEASE post it on here.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

What does ‘Football with Tradition’ actually mean?

Surely that applies to every club in the football league?

tradition = handed down generation to generation

generation = 25 to 30 years (you having kids to the kids having kids)

you can do the maths but I personally think

2115 to 2020 is 5 years So NO they have NO tradition. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, S25loyal said:

Why? Most people are still employed, football will happen again.

Or did Rovers release their season ticket the day covid starting hitting here?

I still have a job yes, but I have been furloughed and have no idea how long my employers will be able to cope with the significant downturn in business. I would imagine I am not the only one in that particular boat.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, bert tann said:

Our former director Mr Turner (previously a business partner of Amos Brearly) told a packed AGM that the London office was costing the club £ 250 000 per year. It has now apparently been closed but since it's existence was always shrouded in mystery we can't  really be sure of that and it could still be functioning surreptitiously disguised as a rag and bone yard, in Oil Drum Lane, Shepherds Bush.

However, one thing which nobody seems to have picked up from the latest accounts is the extraordinary growth in lease commitments. Back in 2016 old Nicholas was on the hook for £ 115K but this grew to £ 511K in 2018 and by 2019 the club had non-cancellable operating lease commitments of  £  850K !   Has Mr Al-Qadi leased each one of the staff a brand new Rover 3.5-Litre Saloon ?

12 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Is there perhaps a Lear Jet decked out in blue and white quartered livery squirreled away somewhere in Filton?

Given that the runway is not operational any more, that would put it in the same category as just about anything to do with that sickening excuse for a club

****ing useless

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

What does ‘Football with Tradition’ actually mean?

It means, the club you measure yourself against, the club you fancy to be your rival, the club your supporters obsess over, are more successful, are higher in the pyramid than you, have more support than you, and they have modernised, are a 21st century football club.

It means you are small fry and lower league.

It also means, "we tried to modernise but failed" and have only the "tradition" nonsense to fall back on.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

It also means, "we tried to modernise but failed" and have only the "tradition" nonsense to fall back on.

Yep, I think this is hitting the nail on the head.

I suppose we could always put ‘120 consecutive years of League football’ on our promotional literature but I think we’ve got far more going for us as a club than that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I still have a job yes, but I have been furloughed and have no idea how long my employers will be able to cope with the significant downturn in business. I would imagine I am not the only one in that particular boat.

Best of luck Miah. You pretend to be blue, but you’re far too sensible for that to be true 

• Haha 1

I’ve just read the latest column from Hollowhead. 

This is usually good for a laugh, but has left me sick in the stomach this time.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ian-holloway-bristol-rovers-debt-4035810

He starts by talking about how clubs are reacting to Coronavirus and says “Greed is evident everywhere and we need to get back to a mentality of looking out for one another, rather than grasping for everything we can get. Nowhere is the need for change more obvious than in professional football where the rich continue to get richer at the expense of the poor.“

He goes on to criticise Liverpool FC’s decision to furlough staff, albeit this what now been reversed. “The pots of money being made available to help them would be better invested in paying higher wages to the incredible NHS staff, who are working so hard to protect all of us at this dreadful time.”.

All very laudable stuff.

He then mentions that “Clubs the size of Grimsby Town, where I am manager, have no choice but to take advantage of government help. All players and staff, including myself, were placed on furlough last week“. However, the club don’t appear to be that strapped as the club are making up the difference in wages to ensure no staff member loses a penny.

it makes me sick to think that my tax payer’s money is going to the likes of Hollowhead, when in his words, money would be better spent on the NHS.

i can only hope that he is donating this extra income, and that from writing his article to the NHS.

28 minutes ago, HitchinRed said:

I’ve just read the latest column from Hollowhead. 

This is usually good for a laugh, but has left me sick in the stomach this time.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ian-holloway-bristol-rovers-debt-4035810

He starts by talking about how clubs are reacting to Coronavirus and says “Greed is evident everywhere and we need to get back to a mentality of looking out for one another, rather than grasping for everything we can get. Nowhere is the need for change more obvious than in professional football where the rich continue to get richer at the expense of the poor.“

He goes on to criticise Liverpool FC’s decision to furlough staff, albeit this what now been reversed. “The pots of money being made available to help them would be better invested in paying higher wages to the incredible NHS staff, who are working so hard to protect all of us at this dreadful time.”.

All very laudable stuff.

He then mentions that “Clubs the size of Grimsby Town, where I am manager, have no choice but to take advantage of government help. All players and staff, including myself, were placed on furlough last week“. However, the club don’t appear to be that strapped as the club are making up the difference in wages to ensure no staff member loses a penny.

it makes me sick to think that my tax payer’s money is going to the likes of Hollowhead, when in his words, money would be better spent on the NHS.

i can only hope that he is donating this extra income, and that from writing his article to the NHS.

I would just like to say in defence of  ‘Hollowhead’ he does a lot of charity work  particularly those associated with the Deaf , hearing dogs etc but also other areas and ...

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/ian-holloway-life-lockdown-stevie-4014300

Edited by E.G.Red
  • Like 1

Good on him if he does a lot for charity, and I genuinely mean that.

However, him donating a picture that he painted whilst tax payers were paying 80% of his wages is not really doing it for me.

it would be interesting to know how long it took to paint his picture, and how much it therefore cost the tax payer for him to paint it. We could then compare it to how much he raised for the NHS to find out who the real winner is.

17 minutes ago, HitchinRed said:

Good on him if he does a lot for charity, and I genuinely mean that.

However, him donating a picture that he painted whilst tax payers were paying 80% of his wages is not really doing it for me.

it would be interesting to know how long it took to paint his picture, and how much it therefore cost the tax payer for him to paint it. We could then compare it to how much he raised for the NHS to find out who the real winner is.

But we are not paying 80% of his wages. We are only paying a maximum of £2500 per month which is taxable in the normal way. Whilst I know that many people myself included earn less than £2500 , it is not correct to say we are paying 80% of his wages, as I suspect he earns somewhat more than £2500 a month.

Maybe the painting won’t raise a huge amount of funds but  I admire the gesture like any other fund raising activity.

Edited by E.G.Red
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

But we are not paying 80% of his wages. We are only paying a maximum of £2500 per month. Whilst I know that many people myself included earn less than £2500 , it is not correct to say we are paying 80% of his wages, as I suspect he earns somewhat more than £2500 a month.

Also worth noting that whatever 80% equals, you still pay tax and N.I. on it.

With Holloway, he may be an annoying character but so are thousands of other, non football, people who are getting 80% of their salary from the government. With the current furlough scheme everybody gets it regardless of whether they talk sense or not. That’s the only way it can be. It’s best not to focus on Holloway but instead consider the many thousands who are struggling 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1