IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

10 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I'm pretty sure that Wiki is way out on this occasion. The capacity is still short of that figure for football and considering there were only 2 or 3sides of the ground open for that first game, there was absolutely no way capacity was over 12k that day. We didn't even have any tents back then!

Was it the same guy counting the crowd that you used during the non league play off final  ?

• Flames 1

17 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

What was their attendance vs us first game back in Bristol? That will give an indication to capacity as they only sell out against us. 

Average attendance back in Bristol, after 10 years of exile, they’d have packed the place, surely...?!

Average home attendance = 5,630...! ???

17 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

What was their attendance vs us first game back in Bristol? That will give an indication to capacity as they only sell out against us. 

image.thumb.png.8e93288f2b1542b832185c1b29d9d7a9.png

8078 and, as usual, we won! OTIB

Just the 18,674 at our place which WOULD have been a sell out in those days. 

7 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

image.thumb.png.8e93288f2b1542b832185c1b29d9d7a9.png

8078 and, as usual, we won! OTIB

Just the 18,674 at our place which WOULD have been a sell out in those days. 

I remember the first few Derby games at the Mem, away tickets were issued via special invite only and had to be collected on coaches from Ashton Gate, up there. 
Always managed to get one, thankfully and Junior Bent always seemed to love scoring against them! Also think I remember a Goater brace winning one of the games. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I remember the first few Derby games at the Mem, away tickets were issued via special invite only and had to be collected on coaches from Ashton Gate, up there. 
Always managed to get one, thankfully and Junior Bent always seemed to love scoring against them! Also think I remember a Goater brace winning one of the games. 

Went in the then uncovered Blackthorn end a few times, never had an issue TBH. Coming from the 'Wood, people knew I was City and I was fine until the night Flapper saved a penalty, didn't keep quiet that time and had to jump over the barrier rather quickly! ;)

• Robin 1

25 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Went in the then uncovered Blackthorn end a few times, never had an issue TBH. Coming from the 'Wood, people knew I was City and I was fine until the night Flapper saved a penalty, didn't keep quiet that time and had to jump over the barrier rather quickly! ;)

I was in the home end for one game there, with a gas work colleague. All was fine, until Matty Hewlett, who I knew through my sisters Ex, was warming up, spotted me and shouted “Hi Rob” & waved to me..!

Then I had continual shouts of “sheed” aimed at me, by grown men who appears to be frothing at the mouth..! ?

• Haha 3
  • Robin 1

6 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I’m 41 (Forty one!) years old now - and you have to go back 3 years before I was born to find the last time they averaged 10k over season...!

#tinpotpikeyfuckwits

Next year you will know the meaning to Life the Universe and everything (lucky you). 

13 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

But look at how they all flooded to their spiritual home in the years preceding their departure...! ??

Going to Bath saved them. Their best seasons in half a century were while they were playing at a small, decrepit non-league ground. It was clearly a "good fit," finally Rovers had a ground to complement their crowd (small, untidy, ramshackle). A small crowd in a small ground (Trumpton) or a small crowd in a large oval of a ground (Eastville)?

At Eastville their 3 or 4 thousand crowds, set miles back from the pitch, were stretched, anonymous and almost invisible. They might as well not have been there. At Trumpton they only had two sides to populate and were right on top of the action, they could make themselves heard. The opposition also disliked going there, accustomed as they were to finer facilities and surroundings (ie professional ones).

The derby games at Eastville I attended, in the 80s, you could see but not hear them. At Trumpton, with a winning team admittedly, they were unpleasantly close and audible. At Eastville there was always City in the remains of the torched stand and the North stand, probably the Tote as well. We used to march there from town and feel like we had taken the place over (the Muller was a big end, 5000 I think, if not 6, for the December 83 cup game I think, in a 14k crowd). 

The combination of being in Bath and Gerry Francis's no-frills anti-football saved them. They've done nothing since being back in Bristol, even worse than before you might say.

I wish they had limped on at Eastville, they were dying a slow, anonymous death there. 

• Like 7

quick trip down memory lane..... https://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/old-british-football-grounds-and-stands/lost-grounds/eastville-bristol-rovers.html#awhat-is-on-the-eastville-site-now

I used to quite enjoy the old Muller Road End to be honest (with the M32 at my back and sand being blown in my face). It was a state ...which sort of summed the club up really

• Like 1

I’d never been to Eastville. I didn’t start watching football until they’d @#@#@# off to Bath. 
When you hear tales reminiscing about their spiritual home, it paints a picture of an impressive old ground - whereas, in reality, from what I can see, it’s was a ramshackle dump. 
Probably only matched in its Chernobyl like appearance by their current ramshackle dump..!

They really have, always, been a stain on this City! 
Absolute festering blight on the landscape, wherever they have left their skid mark stain of existence. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I’d never been to Eastville. I didn’t start watching football until they’d @#@#@# off to Bath. 
When you hear tales reminiscing about their spiritual home, it paints a picture of an impressive old ground - whereas, in reality, from what I can see, it’s was a ramshackle dump. 
Probably only matched in its Chernobyl like appearance by their current ramshackle dump..!

Absolute festering blight on the landscape, wherever they have left their skid mark stain of existence. 

Poor mans Stamford Bridge. Everywhere they've been has been a shit tip, or it's turned into one. I honestly feel that, apart from their trampish fans, the colours used by their team makes everything look dull and dirty, though in reality, it probably is. When I started going, their Tote End crowd was made up of greebo's, hippies, scruffy gits, divvies and a few likely lad skins. On the other end of the fans spectrum was Ashton Gate, where the old East End was made up of mostly fashion conscious lads, a few greebo's and the odd hippy type.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I used to love going to Eastville Stadium every week.............to watch the speedway! :laugh:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 77 punk said:

on this date in 1936 a player called joe payne scored 10 goals on his debut for luton town against bristol rovers a record which still stands , what a lovely man !

It wasn’t his debut, that came in 1934 - but what a superb feat that mauling of the sags was! Didn’t realise either that his record at Luton was so amazing - 83 goals in 72 games - even without the ‘never to be forgotten’ 10 goal haul against the sags, he was still averaging more than a goal a game! A legend!

• Like 1