IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

6 hours ago, RedRock said:

Rumour was that it was 41,000! 

‘Ramming’ was the method that achieved that number. 

Managed to get in earlyish,, so wasn’t too bad in that part of the East End I was stood. Late comers were the one’s who suffered I think. Know a few that were turned away when the gates were closed before the start of the match. 

In my opinion the attendance was much higher than the official 38,000+.

It was bedlam that day.

The Police numbers were high, but insufficient to deter ticketless chancers from both clubs, many of whom got in one way or another, before or during couse of the game (when security eased off).

I was in the East End, which was packed to the rafters (literally!) Older members will remember the climbers who would shin up the steel girders and watch the game sat astride the cross-beams; usually getting nabbed by the Old Bill at the end of the game.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Yep, they’re actually proud of it.

No wonder they play their games in a ground made up of sheds and tents.

That must be sheeads then! 

They keep moaning on when things go wrong that it must be because we're in the crowd. That is slipping Bob the gateman a fiver. Obsessed or what.

5 minutes ago, Swede said:

That must be sheeads then! 

They keep moaning on when things go wrong that it must be because we're in the crowd. That is slipping Bob the gateman a fiver. Obsessed or what.

It does make you think what they would have to live for if, God forbid, we did go under.

Their sad lives would cease to have any meaning or purpose and they would have nothing to dream of in their empty lives.

2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I was in the enclosure, stood on my metal tube stool that dad made me, right by the wall of the tunnel. At one point dad said he put me on the wall but I can't remember that. It must have been stupidly rammed and i was there but can't remember it, the old man must have been aware of it though. I'll have to ask him.

I used to sit on the wall right next to the away dugout when I was a kid - mid 80s, with my old man and his mates about a third up the stand. There used to be a really loud kid who must have been about 10, that wasn't you was it..... I was there a few years and then went to eastend right behind the goal about half way up (when i was old enough to go with mates) - great times.

8 hours ago, RedRock said:

Managed to get in earlyish,, so wasn’t too bad in that part of the East End I was stood. Late comers were the one’s who suffered I think. Know a few that were turned away when the gates were closed before the start of the match. 

I remember reading that it was estimated at 41k, and that some gates were forced.

8 hours ago, Galway Red said:

For us kids it was so easy to sneak in in any part of the ground and 100's of us did regularly, that Liverpool game had far more in attendance than the official 37,000 sell outs of that era, gives me goose pimples just thinking about standing in the East/Park End during those big games

I am intrigued as to how you managed this.

I seem to recall there was something loose at the back of the East End, but only saw a few crawling under there on rare occasions.

1 hour ago, wood_red said:

I used to sit on the wall right next to the away dugout when I was a kid - mid 80s, with my old man and his mates about a third up the stand. There used to be a really loud kid who must have been about 10, that wasn't you was it..... I was there a few years and then went to eastend right behind the goal about half way up (when i was old enough to go with mates) - great times.

No mate, I was 10 when we hit the top table and would have been in my late teens by the mid 80's! ;) 

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I seem to recall there was something loose at the back of the East End, but only saw a few crawling under there on rare occasions.

In th EE it was either over the top of the gates at the back of EE or over the walls and under the barbed wire in either of the toilets, if that failed just speed through under the turnstile, we had other ways of getting into Dolman and Park End, it really was easy with stewards and OB not really bothered

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

In th EE it was either over the top of the gates at the back of EE or over the walls and under the barbed wire in either of the toilets, if that failed just speed through under the turnstile, we had other ways of getting into Dolman and Park End, it really was easy with stewards and OB not really bothered

That's westers for you, a bit like educated gasheads.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

The Leeds and Liverpool cup ties in '74 were all-ticket, and both had 37,000 crowds. I don’t know if the Liverpool game in the league in May '77 was all ticket - I'm thinking it wasn't - but the official attendance for that was 38 000 plus. More than should've been allowed in, maybe. Maybe, it was a bit of a melee that evening.

In his programme notes for the first home game the following season, in August '77, Alan Dicks informed us that the club had had to spend £100k on ground improvements over the summer to comply with the recent Safety of Sports Ground Act. He said that this had cut the ground capacity to 30,000. A big cut from 37 (or was it 38) thousand. 

However, a quick glance at the programme for Man United at the end of the 77/78 season, shows that we attracted two crowds during that season of more than 31,000! (v Forest and Liverpool).

Did we let more in than we were supposed to? Could we add up properly? Did Dicksy get his sums wrong? Did we - the club - know what was going on? Did we - the crowd - know what was going on?

Twas ever thus eh!!!

By chance t'other day I came cross this comment in David Woods' "The Modern Era - A Complete Record" about the Stoke / Cheesley's knee game in '76. The attendance was eventually recorded as 25,316 but the author's 2 line summation of the game begins: "A phantom turnstile perhaps as an attendance of 32,537 is originally announced?" ? 

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Every home game for about 2 seasons until was too big to get through the gap. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RedRock said:

When the gates were closed fans wee climbing over the wall in the open end including the away fans bit 

I thought the ground shook that night 

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 17:17, Ska Junkie said:

I was thinking around that figure miser. Mad to think we stood in a crowd of over 38,000 in the old Gate back in the day.

Backs up the 3 standing  to 1 seat I guess.

Well the current capacity is 27,000 if the old was around 38,000 that's about a ratio of 1.5 to 1

9 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I've been in an all ticket crowd of 38k.................1966-7 home to Saints in the cup, won 1-0 .

I've been in a pay on the day 42.5k crowd........1959 FA Cup v Blackpool and Stanley Mathews.

1 - 1 draw. K.O. 3. pm gates opened at 12 noon, we started queuing at 11.00. a.m.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, zippycar said:

It's surprising just how many more people you can squeeze in when standing versus seating and yes it was a crush but weren't we all slimmer in those days ?

If AG was converted to the old style standing with just the upper Lansdown and upper Dolmam  seated ,it could probably hold 50000  ?

Edited by slartibartfast

7 hours ago, pillred said:

Well the current capacity is 27,000 if the old was around 38,000 that's about a ratio of 1.5 to 1

The new one is much bigger though PR, imagine the standing capacity if we had then, what we have now? The Lansdown alone would be well over 20k I should think, even with seats in the top tier.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

If AG was converted to the old style standing with just the upper Lansdown and upper Dolmam  seated ,it could probably hold 50000  ?

Without a doubt...more I would imagine. The South Stand would easily accommodate 15k as a terrace. The Lower Lansdown would possibly hold as many as 20-25k standing. 

FTG.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Thank you so much.

This will keep me howling with laughter for most of the afternoon. ?

What a bunch of utter clowns.

Edit: Im only on the first page of the first thread and already seen these 2 whoppers ?
How are these 2 predictions going Sagheads?

FAAE49F5-8AEA-4AB0-AAD1-7746DFD061BE.jpeg

8030CC9B-5756-424B-8638-F3BE40B3FAAD.jpeg

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Wael promises to improve rovers on and off the pitch says toppergas and with a fortune somewhere approaching 120 billion according roverdrive wael has not dissapointed splashing the cash on sprinklers steam cleaning the carpets and curtains new white placky chairs a canopy a wooden thatchers gold clo k and a tv screen yup they are defo cominig for us iam gutted

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Thank you so much.

This will keep me howling with laughter for most of the afternoon. ?

What a bunch of utter clowns.

Edit: Im only on the first page of the first thread and already seen these 2 whoppers ?
How are these 2 predictions going Sagheads?

FAAE49F5-8AEA-4AB0-AAD1-7746DFD061BE.jpeg

8030CC9B-5756-424B-8638-F3BE40B3FAAD.jpeg

Imagine what we haven’t done ?