IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

11 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I'm bored so wanted to see how much of our fair city is red / blue and came up with this...

image.png.a518b812663b195983b49f0fd2ad485a.png

Anyone else want to have a go?

image.png.7cb994b1d4d0967e878b3dc4f07fac5d.png

Ah, but you are forgetting the rest of the country who love them!!!!

16 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I'm bored so wanted to see how much of our fair city is red / blue and came up with this...

image.png.a518b812663b195983b49f0fd2ad485a.png

Anyone else want to have a go?

image.png.7cb994b1d4d0967e878b3dc4f07fac5d.png

I’m in BS7 but it doesn’t feel blue here at all. I sometimes see strange people wearing da famous   quarters  walking towards Filton Avenue  when there is a match, but that’s it. 

• Like 1

come on, own up! :clap:

Image may contain: possible text that says 'Well done to Bristol Rovers FC, they have melted down all of their trophies to provide the NHS with vital equipment to combat Coronavirus. The Bristol Royal Infirmary have thanked BRFC but are unsure what to do with the pair of tweezers.'

4 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I’m in BS7 but it doesn’t feel blue here at all. I sometimes see strange people wearing da famous   quarters  walking towards Filton Avenue  when there is a match, but that’s it. 

Is Yate not a gas stronghold any more either then?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Just to put that April '76 26,000 Bristol derby game crowd at Eastville in some sort of context, Rovers played some other "glittering" league fixtures at the home around that time, including:

Man Utd, March 75: 19,000

Tottenham, 78 (the "second leg," they were 0-9 down on agg): 17,700.

Villa, 74: 14,000

Chelsea 76: 13,000 (played Chelsea four or five times around then, 16k in 75 being the largest).

West Ham, 79: 12,400. 

So, nothing came close to us playing there, in the league, in 1976. Which suggests a considerable visiting support! Same as when they played Man Utd, who would take 10,000 everywhere back then.

To get a crowd at Eastville to match or better that league derby match in '76, in the 70s, you have to look at cup games.

In '78, they had 26,000 v Southampton, with10k Saints fans, from what I can find. This suggests the Muller held at least 10k back then. Meaning at least 10k of us in '76, and at most 16 of them.

Prior to this you go back to '72 and a league cup visit from Best and Charlton, and 33,900! at a Bristol Rovers home game (you see! They are huge, massive. In 1972. With a visit from two of the greatest this country has ever seen).

They managed two, losing, league cup quarter finals in 70 and 71, pulling in 33,000 for those. Thirty three thousand* - blimey! Long time ago, mind. Half a century. What might've been.

My search has not been exhaustive but I believe the '76 game v us was the last home league crowd of 20,000 plus at theirs, and possibly the only 20k plus crowd for a non-cup tie since the days of record crowds everywhere and their one and only half-decent team of the late 50s, early 60s (not sure if they had a "bumper" turn out for promotion in '74?). And it was only so many because there were thousands of us.

Like many, many poxy clubs (and not unlike ourselves, in truth), Rovers could/can get a big crowd once or twice a season, for a knockout game or the visit of some all-time greats, or a family day out to Wemberlee, drawing in many neutrals, day-trippers and casual observers, few if any of whom will ever be interested in their run of the mill, mundane league games that make up the majority of a season.

The mistake, or perhaps intentionally misleading or deluding conclusion, they come to, is to read far too much into the big one-off occasion and envisage from that the potential of many, many thousands trudging through the wind and the rain, and the grey (and the boob cricket, and the horse interfering) to witness league fixtures against the same old bloody dross week after week, year after year. Lord knows I have made the same error and deluded myself similarly about us.

*Many of these "loyal and true/once-in-blue-moon" diehards from 50 years ago in 1971 would be waiting to go again regularly, should they get a ground/take the Prem by storm/overtake us again, were it not for the sad fact that they are now dead. And the "faith" has not lived on through the generations.

The 9 nill drubbing was in the league.

3 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Just to put that April '76 26,000 Bristol derby game crowd at Eastville in some sort of context, Rovers played some other "glittering" league fixtures at the home around that time, including:

Man Utd, March 75: 19,000

Tottenham, 78 (the "second leg," they were 0-9 down on agg): 17,700.

Villa, 74: 14,000

Chelsea 76: 13,000 (played Chelsea four or five times around then, 16k in 75 being the largest).

West Ham, 79: 12,400. 

So, nothing came close to us playing there, in the league, in 1976. Which suggests a considerable visiting support! Same as when they played Man Utd, who would take 10,000 everywhere back then.

To get a crowd at Eastville to match or better that league derby match in '76, in the 70s, you have to look at cup games.

In '78, they had 26,000 v Southampton, with10k Saints fans, from what I can find. This suggests the Muller held at least 10k back then. Meaning at least 10k of us in '76, and at most 16 of them.

Prior to this you go back to '72 and a league cup visit from Best and Charlton, and 33,900! at a Bristol Rovers home game (you see! They are huge, massive. In 1972. With a visit from two of the greatest this country has ever seen).

They managed two, losing, league cup quarter finals in 70 and 71, pulling in 33,000 for those. Thirty three thousand* - blimey! Long time ago, mind. Half a century. What might've been.

My search has not been exhaustive but I believe the '76 game v us was the last home league crowd of 20,000 plus at theirs, and possibly the only 20k plus crowd for a non-cup tie since the days of record crowds everywhere and their one and only half-decent team of the late 50s, early 60s (not sure if they had a "bumper" turn out for promotion in '74?). And it was only so many because there were thousands of us.

Like many, many poxy clubs (and not unlike ourselves, in truth), Rovers could/can get a big crowd once or twice a season, for a knockout game or the visit of some all-time greats, or a family day out to Wemberlee, drawing in many neutrals, day-trippers and casual observers, few if any of whom will ever be interested in their run of the mill, mundane league games that make up the majority of a season.

The mistake, or perhaps intentionally misleading or deluding conclusion, they come to, is to read far too much into the big one-off occasion and envisage from that the potential of many, many thousands trudging through the wind and the rain, and the grey (and the boob cricket, and the horse interfering) to witness league fixtures against the same old bloody dross week after week, year after year. Lord knows I have made the same error and deluded myself similarly about us.

*Many of these "loyal and true/once-in-blue-moon" diehards from 50 years ago in 1971 would be waiting to go again regularly, should they get a ground/take the Prem by storm/overtake us again, were it not for the sad fact that they are now dead. And the "faith" has not lived on through the generations.

@Moments of Pleasure can I please take a "moment" to congratulate you on what must be one of the finest posts ever seen on this venerable and esteemed forum. Bravo sir.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Great effort Rob but I think with Lockleaze, we can't really take BS7 away from them just yet.

Lived in Lockleaze, plenty of City fans around there. One guy who lives just off Wordsworth Road hung a massive St George flag on the front of his house with Bristol City FC written across it during one of the Euros.

I was expecting people to go the other way and say 'such and such an area still has a lot of gas' but clearly not.

Kingswood, Fishponds, Eastville, Filton, Horfield, Patchway, a bit of Yate and a bit of Warmley / Banjo.

Is that it? They must have more than that surely? Keynsham? Is Lawrence Weston red? I'm from east Bristol so don't know.

Edited by Ska Junkie

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

I was expecting people to go the other way and say 'such and such an area still has a lot of gas' but clearly not.

Kingswood, Fishponds, Eastville, Filton, Horfield, Patchway, a bit of Yate and a bit of Warmley / Banjo.

Is that it? They must have more than that surely? Keynsham? Is Lawrence Weston red? I'm from east Bristol so don't know.

In the eastern end of Kingswood/Warmley, there's City everywhere, and growing all the time. Having grown up around there I'd say neighbours, school/work friends was always split right down the middle. The Bristol end of Kingswood might be a bit more blue. In the road I live now, about a dozen houses are City (half attend matches), 2 are Rovers and don't want to know. A clear indicator is at my son's school, full city shirts, not too many Rovers. BS15 is definitely not blue, far from it.

• Like 2