IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

30 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I'm originally a 'Woody myself bud and there were very few of us back in the day, the Cobbler apart.

I do agree that even in the 'Wood all the youngsters are wearing red nowadays and there's not much blue about.

Great isn't it? ?

I lived in an estate built in the 70s at the bottom of Courtney road. People moved there from all over, so no allegiance to one team. Lots of houses went up in the 80s/90s in Warmley and Longwell Green where once again, people from all over moved there. The main Rovers areas were the older estates (New Cheltenham/Banjo). It's pretty slim pickings for them outside of that and getting worse. Their future support looks dire.

Edited by Kingswood Robin
typo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim Davey said:

10,400  attendance v arsenal 1984  think we got more than that against York city in the old 4th div a few weeks later

One of the greatest nights ever! Top of the table clash vs York - forget the ‘easy to support’ games such as Liverpool away in ‘94, the league cup semis vs Spurs, Forest and Man City etc etc - this was pivotal in our history - we were climbing out of the mire of 1982 and we found ourselves locked in a top of the table battle with York City.

We were in the bottom division and we faced them at home in a midweek game - it attracted a five figure crowd, in the basement division! 10,837 - the gas would kill for a crowd number like that right now!

Everyone who was anyone back then turned up, the (original and incomparable) East End was packed and we got behind the boys non stop, it was deafening, a zillion times better and louder than our home games are now - and we dicked York 1-0 - another huge part of our journey back under Lord Terence Cooper.

Those are the nights I remember with real and fierce affection; not the boring, tedious recent ones like scraping a 1-0 against 9 man Rotherham....

I know the current climate allows more opportunities for real thought and reflection, but I do so, so miss those glorious times from 1982 to 1988 under Terry Cooper - special, special memories and a fantastic period in which to follow the boys in red ... I’ll never forget them, a crucial and brilliant part of our history ... ?

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I was expecting people to go the other way and say 'such and such an area still has a lot of gas' but clearly not.

Kingswood, Fishponds, Eastville, Filton, Horfield, Patchway, a bit of Yate and a bit of Warmley / Banjo.

Is that it? They must have more than that surely? Keynsham? Is Lawrence Weston red? I'm from east Bristol so don't know.

Lawrence Weston is more City.

Henbury is more Gas.

I think Southmead is roughly 50/50 although virtually all my sons school mates who live on the estate are City fans.

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

One of the greatest nights ever! Top of the table clash vs York - forget the ‘easy to support’ games such as Liverpool away in ‘94, the league cup semis vs Spurs, Forest and Man City etc etc - this was pivotal in our history - we were climbing out of the mire of 1982 and we found ourselves locked in a top of the table battle with York City.

We were in the bottom division and we faced them at home in a midweek game - it attracted a five figure crowd, in the basement division! 10,837 - the gas would kill for a crowd number like that right now!

Everyone who was anyone back then turned up, the (original and incomparable) East End was packed and we got behind the boys non stop, it was deafening, a zillion times better and louder than our home games are now - and we dicked York 1-0 - another huge part of our journey back under Lord Terence Cooper.

Those are the nights I remember with real and fierce affection; not the boring, tedious recent ones like scraping a 1-0 against 9 man Rotherham....

I know the current climate allows more opportunities for real thought and reflection, but I do so, so miss those glorious times from 1982 to 1988 under Terry Cooper - special, special memories and a fantastic period in which to follow the boys in red ... I’ll never forget them, a crucial and brilliant part of our history ... ?

Well said BS4.

My memory from that York game is playing tricks on me. I thought it was played on a Friday night and not midweek?

Just as an interesting comparison betwixt us and them, from a 1970s perspective:

Rovers v Tommy Doc's exciting young Man Utd + the Red Army, at Eastville, 1974/5: 19,337

City v Tommy Doc's exciting young Man Utd + the Red Army, at Ashton Gate, 1974/5: 28,104.

And they wonder why we went on to do better than them? And have our own ground? And bounce back from adversity? And attract millionaires and billionaires? While they bitterly reject the notion that we are the preeminent club in this city (they did back then).

But to go back to the "we're bigger than Norwich!" idea, they, Norwich, also played Tommy Doc's dashing young team that season, so let's have a look at how many turnt up there in Norfolk back then:

Norwich v Tommy Doc's exciting young Man Utd  + the Red Army, at Carrow Rd, 74/5: 24,586.

It would appear to me, then, from a careful analysis of the numbers:

City v Man Utd: 28 thousand

Norwich v Man Utd: 24 thousand 

Rovers v Man United: 19 thousand 

...that it is us! We are more bigger than Norwich, not them! Unbelievable. Who'd have thought it?! This won't go down well with the Few ("yeah, but ... we took loads to Braintree .....")

1970-5-8-prospects-in-bristol_orig.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Lawrence Weston is more City.

Henbury is more Gas.

I think Southmead is roughly 50/50 although virtually all my sons school mates who live on the estate are City fans.

If i were a gashead, perish the thought, yeuch, this is what would concern me as virtually all the youngsters seem to be City fans nowadays. 

Great isn't it?

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

If i were a gashead, perish the thought, yeuch, this is what would concern me as virtually all the youngsters seem to be City fans nowadays. 

Great isn't it?

I know it’s not particularly scientific but my son did a poll on his Instagram (he’s only 13) saying basically ‘City or Rovers?’.

Over 80% said City....and we live in North Bristol. Of course it was a relatively small sample, only 30 or so responded. However it is true that I rarely see Rovers shirts when out and about whereas City shirts are quite a regular sight. 

As a club we’re definitely doing something right. Rovers on the other hand with all their guff about unique kits, Pirates and ‘Tradition’ seem to appeal even less to Bristolians now than they have done in the past.

They will claim it’s because of their shit ground...that’s the same shit ground they say makes them a ‘real’ club and non ‘plastic’. Totally confused as per normal.

They just aren’t as special as they’ve always believed they are.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Well said BS4.

My memory from that York game is playing tricks on me. I thought it was played on a Friday night and not midweek?

10 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

It was.

I'm going to side with @BS4 on Tour... on this one and say it was definitely a Tuesday night.

The only Friday night home game I can recall around that time was the Hereford FRT semi final second leg.

3 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Well said BS4.

26 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

It was.

Nope, definitely a Tuesday night, with a crowd of 10,000 plus - nearer to 11,000 if I recall correctly.

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Great memories, I think Paul Stevens scored the winner with a header in that game?

Being a BS7er now I thought I’d take a stroll with the dog up past the Rugby ground the other day, if only just to remind me that things could be worse (a lot worse).
Imagine my surprise when I saw that their new on-site, state of the art training ground had been built already. 

812421DD-CFD2-4579-8D25-27522D19E9BA.jpeg

• Haha 6
  • Robin 1

5 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Well said BS4.

2 hours ago, glynriley said:

I’m going to side with @BS4 on Tour... on this one and say it was definitely a Tuesday night.

The only Friday night home game I can recall around that time was the Hereford FRT semi final second leg.

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

I thought that was midweek .

The York game was on Tuesday 18 October 1983

The Hereford game was on Friday 9 May 1986

Both great games from a superb era...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

I wasnt at York but clearly remeber Hereford. I was working nights and have never run so fast back to the car for a quick drive to North Bristol after the game (if memory serves it went into extra time as well).

It was extra time, lost 2-0 up there, (that was a lively night) 0-0 at half time at AG and struggling but managed to turn it around, great scenes after and a great night in the Enterprise after

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

It was extra time, lost 2-0 up there, (that was a lively night) 0-0 at half time at AG and struggling but managed to turn it around, great scenes after and a great night in the Enterprise after

That moment between Steve Neville hitting the ball and it going in seemed to be last an eternity!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Furious Custard said:

I have heard contracts may have been exchanged on the fruit market this week. I do not know if it is the gas or others but will try and find out! I think all bids were made in september. 

I think I heard that a company based in Guernsey called Pula Sports, or similar was the purchaser.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2