IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

14 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

.....and don’t forget the (very timely) last ever game at their spiritual home - Eastville. It was 34 years ago tomorrow:

April 26th 1986 - Bristol Roverzzzz 1 Chesterfield 1

Last ever game at Eastville

Attendance: 3,576

Yep, ‘loyal and true’ ladies and gentleman .... ?????✌️?

after a quick google gone with this " broadened during the Late Middle Ages to include mental aspects of life"

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Oh, this one for me, all day long .... if you ever need a laugh ... ???? So much class at that club ...

Squeaky, zero class, embarrassing little turd.

He was such a perfect fit for the Gas.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Having a tramp in the squad and the witty OTIB one liners that followed always made me chortle.

Selling season tickets for the non existent Row M in the South West in the corner tented supermarket trolley stand takes some beating.

But the best bit is the to55ers who regularly phone in to Radio Bristol to give their view on a match they haven't been to & that they've only heard on the radio AND in their best dumb a55 Cletus accent " it sounded unbelievable on the radio Geoff, and it definitely wasn't a penalty"

• Haha 2

On 23/04/2020 at 22:06, BanburyRed said:

Just going to show what an absolute stain on Bristol they really are....

Unfortunately, there are a lot more football fans in all of these postcodes. Many supporting Prem teams, we are as a collective, a poor supported footballing City considering th population of Bristol

Ive managed to get 2 friends in the last few years. (In our late 20s) one who supported Liverpool but never went to anfield now has a ST here and now loves City. 
The other a die hard Chelsea fan (Generation thing)  who sees City as his local side and also has a ST. 

These are the ones I would like to See in City kits and coming down to AG. Not too worried about the Gas as they are a long way off of us.

• Like 1

It seems increasingly likely that many clubs will not be able to survive the current crisis and - sadly for me-  Rovers would appear to be one of those at serious risk.

What will become of this thread if we do go?  You need to start thinking of your exit strategy, would it become the 'Cardiff dustbin thread' or will you wait to see if a 'phoenix' Rovers starts up and start hating them instead?

Personally. I'm beginning to see the upside of this scenario. I can continue disliking City and laughing to myself when they fail without having Rovers ******* it all up for me by, well just by being Rovers really,

• Like 6
  • Haha 12

2 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

It seems increasingly likely that many clubs will not be able to survive the current crisis and - sadly for me-  Rovers would appear to be one of those at serious risk.

What will become of this thread if we do go?  You need to start thinking of your exit strategy, would it become the 'Cardiff dustbin thread' or will you wait to see if a 'phoenix' Rovers starts up and start hating them instead?

Personally. I'm beginning to see the upside of this scenario. I can continue disliking City and laughing to myself when they fail without having Rovers ******* it all up for me by, well just by being Rovers really,

Why do you think Rovers are at risk more than a number of other clubs?

11 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

One rare positive of all this pandemic would be rovers going bust,

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ZiderheadTJ said:

Unfortunately, there are a lot more football fans in all of these postcodes. Many supporting Prem teams, we are as a collective, a poor supported footballing City considering th population of Bristol

Ive managed to get 2 friends in the last few years. (In our late 20s) one who supported Liverpool but never went to anfield now has a ST here and now loves City. 
The other a die hard Chelsea fan (Generation thing)  who sees City as his local side and also has a ST. 

These are the ones I would like to See in City kits and coming down to AG. Not too worried about the Gas as they are a long way off of us.

There's no fixed set of supporters; people are always starting to go to football (under thirties generally) and ceasing to go (over sixties).

If I was a sixteen year old just starting I'd try both City and Rovers; and having seen both I struggle to see why anyone would pick Rovers.

My first experience of City was when my Dad took me as a kid. I literally had never seen anything like it: 23,000 people packed into the terraces and the roar of "Bristol" so loud you could feel it. 

Wow.

You aren't going to get that at Rovers so you won't go back.  City has been picking up 90% of the new supporters for thirty years.

The average active supporting life is about forty years.

If Rovers do not have some serious success very soon they are going to find their crowds plummeting as their supporters get old and stop going with few coming through to replace them.

The ground itself is a massive turn off; I know a Plymouth season ticket holder who goes with his mates to a couple of away games a season. I asked him if he was going to Rovers given that they're fairly local and it wasn't even on the list because the last time they went there the state of the ground was so poor that they said they would not go again.

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

What ever guise it takes Miah; you will of course be most welcome to join it !  ?

1 hour ago, S25loyal said:

One rare positive of all this pandemic would be rovers going bust,

I wouldn't like to see them go under, because of the current situation. 

I'd far rather they continued to implode and went bust organically. Not having a global pandemic to put it down to. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Never fear Miah, Rovers will never go out of existence. They may fail financially, but the true core of supporters will keep the club going. I can envisage the situation in a few years when Rovers are playing in the Bristol Suburban League and the Gas forum is full of stories of them having the best away support in the league; every other club loves them etc. Plus the excitement of the cup run being knocked out in the second round of the Gloucestershire Junior Cup by Brimsham Green Reserves 

• Haha 2

Assheads believing that they would be using a new ground entry system, similar to most grounds (including AG), where entrants simply swipe their season card, and entry is automatic. The sags perhaps arriving in the 20th, never mind 21st century ?

No, of course not.

It transpires that swiping the new card sets off a buzzer. Then, “some bloke”, who resides behind a wall, stamps on a foot pedal, thus allowing said asshead entry into the “stadium”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

This gets better every time I hear it.

Surely some impressario can transform this gem of a recording into a blockbuster movie, a stage-play, musical or TV series.

Can anyone suggest a (suitably embarrassing) title?

They punch horses don't they?.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

You’ve given us decades worth of material just in the last few years, so I think the thread would survive long after your demise.

4 hours ago, ZiderheadTJ said:

Sorry, can't agree with you on the poorly supported footballing city. Between the two clubs, we have a regular attendance of nearly 30k. Now taking into account that historically we've only managed about nine years in the top flight between us and the average position between us would be somewhere near, top of tier 3, bottom of tier 2, then I don't see that figure as too bad, for the dross this footballing city has served up over the years.

Traditionally football has been considered a working mans sport, we as a city and region do not compare with some of the more traditional "working class" cities of anywhere further north than Gloucester. We are a reasonably affluent area in comparison, which much of our employment in the higher end of manufacturing and a traditional centre for commerce. Put simply, we aint as working class as most traditional working class cities, so don't have as many people in the bracket of working class football fans.

The city has a population of approximately 460k and in the greater Bristol area about 1m+. You'd probably find that, our floating supporters who claim to support other teams, have a similar person in another city that does the same but favours their local team but, again doesn't attend on a regular basis. That city however, has a larger latent support, due to it's historic traditions, when compared to Bristol. This debate has gone on for years, I remember using Sunderland as an example back in the 70's, there was sweet fa to do in Sunderland apart from follow the local football. Where as in Bristol, we had the rugby, cricket, tennis, numerous areas to visit and generally more things/choice for people to occupy themselves with.

Having said that, over the years there has been a change in the type of supporter football is being aimed at and attracting, I think we've got a great chance of increasing our average attendances and also of success, hopefully prolonged success.

15 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

One thing I would point out is that from say late 1970s someway into the 1980s attendances were down quite a bit for a range of reasons, part of last game at Eastville thing. 

That said, in their case it probably represented a timely boost if anything! :laugh:

Football enjoyed it's boom years after the Second WW, lasting most of the 1950s, but then beginning to tail off and slowly decline through the 1960s (coinciding with the abolition of the maximum wage, and a widening of leisure pursuits and opportunities).

There was a spike post 1966, what with us being World Cup winners and all that, with crowds going back up again, lasting two seasons, before attendances again continued to decline. 

Crowds shrank steadily through the 1970s, as fewer goals were scored, players were paid more and wore their hair longer (then having it permed, and blow dried) and behaved more "unsportingly," the game became more "professional" and increasingly less like it had been during the post war boom years, reaching a low point in the 1st Division in 1984. 

Crumbling grounds and crowd violence contributed to the decline. And unemployment and recession. People were giving the game a miss (just as we were getting our act together on the pitch). Crowds were made up of a greater proportion of young (angry) males. 

Attendances didn't really recover until the late 90s.

We - City - missed a great opportunity to cash in on potential support by messing about in the bloody 3rd division for much of the 50s, and the lower half of the 2nd when we finally got out of the 3rd.

The advent of televised football, from the mid 60s, was a great time to have a great team. Leeds United timed this perfectly (and still enjoy the benefits of this today). Liverpool did nicely from it to, as did some smaller but also successful clubs (eg Ipswich, Forest, Derby).

By the time we got to the top in 1976 the game was becoming deeply unpopular, loathed by much of the rest of the country. Crowd violence at home and abroad (eg England games) helped to turn thousands of those who might be tempted into armchair viewers, if that. We missed out again by only playing top class clubs on a regular basis as football across the country began to nosedive into its greatest unpopularity. 

Interestingly, although Fewers like to seize upon our disappearing support through three successive relegations, the 4th division's lowest two seasons for support in its existence were the two seasons following our promotion out of it in 1984. 

To suffer an unprecedented "trauma" of three successive relegations and play two seasons of 4th division football at the same time as football was at it's least popular and support nationwide was at its nadir was bloody unfortunate / typical for us, and is the context that Fewers always neglect to include, or simply don't understand, when saying how massive their support was in the Banana pub league (when football's popularity, and attendances, across the country, the game and the divisions, was the polar opposite of the game in 1983 and 4).

Wolves' support dropped lower than ours, when they were in the 4th in the 80s (a greater decline from bigger crowds than ours during the good times). Cardiff's attendances in the 4th were thinner still, sub 3k average in more than one season).

Our support was ok, in the circumstances, more than ok, and only less than theirs, Rovers,' for one of those dismal seasons: the first season down in the 4th, when we were 92nd for a week or two. And they were a division higher than us, chasing promotion/having a good season. 

So, in conclusion: we're more bigger-er than Norwich; they're more bigger than Northwich. 

Edited by Moments of Pleasure
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Assheads believing that they would be using a new ground entry system, similar to most grounds (including AG), where entrants simply swipe their season card, and entry is automatic. The sags perhaps arriving in the 20th, never mind 21st century ?

No, of course not.

It transpires that swiping the new card sets off a buzzer. Then, “some bloke”, who resides behind a wall, stamps on a foot pedal, thus allowing said asshead entry into the “stadium”.

Using all the latest technology gorilla glue double sided tape blu tak and string

On 25/04/2020 at 13:30, Norn Iron said:

If someone could set up a poll to find out what we think is the funniest laugh we've had at the Rovers expense that would be great.

May I nominate:

1) Mansfield playing last game of 2014 season in a kit borrowed from Rovers

2) The signing of Matty Taylor

3) Any other suggestion

4) Any other suggestion.

FWIW, I'd vote 2) all day long. It still makes me laugh!  

3, Relegaton

4, 6th richest chairman, coming for you city

5, santas grotto

6, babestation

7, thier UWE display

8, daryl clarke saying "happy days" when we lost, we then got to use that against them for the best part of the season

9, training ground

10, new stadium

11,tents

12, new stand

and many more :)

Edited by Crackers Corner
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Crackers Corner said:

3, Relegaton

4, 6th richest chairman, coming for you city

5, santas grotto

6, babestation

7, thier UWE display

8, daryl clarke saying "happy days" when we lost, we then got to use that against them for the best part of the season

9, training ground

10, new stadium

11,tents

12, new stand

and many more :)

I`d forgotten the UWE display - I needed cheering up, thanks mate!

• Like 1