IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

You say "good transport links"? Not so sure about that. 

It might be near a train station but it's more likely most of what counts for their support will want to drive and the roads in St Phillips ain't great. In fact, it'll be gridlock central I'd have thought, especially when you factor in all the thousands upon thousands who'll be locked out every week.

Agree with your comments re the mayor though. When not in Malaysia, he's spent all his time doing **** all for Bristol as a whole but plenty for the minority interests close to his heart - the gAssholes counting for both on that score.

It would be interesting to hear Rees explain why he considers that part of the city completely unsuitable for a 12,000 capacity concert venue but perfectly fine for a 20,000 (guess) football stadium.

This ^^^ 

I'm don't understand that either. A football stadium would be in use for regular larger sized crowds compared to a concert venue, and I would suspect the football club would probably want a slice of the cake for putting on their own concerts also, so it's bit hypocritical to turn one down in favour of the other??!

47 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

There is approved in planning permission for a huge tower block just up from (and on the opposite side of the road to) The Thunderbolt, 17 storeys high, I think.

Yes, I'm aware of all the plans for the area, I find it all interesting, think it's fourteen storey's now above street level. What I was pointing out is, that there are currently very few properties with occupants at the moment, which could oppose any application.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Spoons said:

Let's have a friendly £50 bet for charity. 

Loser pays to charity of choice. 

It's happening. You don't think it is. 

Everyone is a winner. 

You're on. I will pay the money when I'm sat in the 'new stadium' watching a game.

For clarification, I will not be paying out if said 'new stadium' is the Mem with some newer tents.

• Like 1

they already have the equipment to knock up a temporary concert venue,

transport wont be a problem for the football fans as rats are competant swimmers so they could all jump in at chequers and swim there. cant really see there being any problems other than actually getting it done.think they will be bust and gone the way their things take time

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

You say "good transport links"? Not so sure about that. 

It might be near a train station but it's more likely most of what counts for their support will want to drive and the roads in St Phillips ain't great. In fact, it'll be gridlock central I'd have thought, especially when you factor in all the thousands upon thousands who'll be locked out every week.

Agree with your comments re the mayor though. When not in Malaysia, he's spent all his time doing **** all for Bristol as a whole but plenty for the minority interests close to his heart - the gAssholes counting for both on that score.

It would be interesting to hear Rees explain why he considers that part of the city completely unsuitable for a 12,000 capacity concert venue but perfectly fine for a 20,000 (guess) football stadium.

It's within one mile of the center of Bristol, which has the best transport links in the area at present. It's within the city where people who support that shower already travel to and from, currently using the existing roads and transport. There'll probably be very little parking, with a travel plan to provide park and ride and use of existing transport systems. Sounds like I'm bigging it up but I'm not, I'm just stating the obvious. Close to the Bath and Wells roads, the spine road, Temple Meads, Old Market and the routes from Bristol East and North. 1 Mile from the M32.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rich said:

It's within one mile of the center of Bristol, which has the best transport links in the area at present. It's within the city where people who support that shower already travel to and from, currently using the existing roads and transport. There'll probably be very little parking, with a travel plan to provide park and ride and use of existing transport systems. Sounds like I'm bigging it up but I'm not, I'm just stating the obvious. Close to the Bath and Wells roads, the spine road, Temple Meads, Old Market and the routes from Bristol East and North. 1 Mile from the M32.

At the moment their "crowd" manage to park within a 10 minute walk of the Memorial Ground. Not sure that would be possible IF this thing happens. Hopefully not, anything to piss them off.

There used to be a small train station close to the Fruit Market which would have been handy. It closed in the 50s - integrated public transport, who needs it eh?!!   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

At the moment their "crowd" manage to park within a 10 minute walk of the Memorial Ground. Not sure that would be possible IF this thing happens. Hopefully not, anything to piss them off.

There used to be a small train station close to the Fruit Market which would have been handy. It closed in the 50s - integrated public transport, who needs it eh?!!   

Parking for a few might be easier at present but, there's no two ways about it, if someone builds a new stadium and it won't be them, their crowds will naturally increase. They'll never get to our level, having only managed that 11 times in their existence and that wasn't by much. If it happens, it'll just take some of the floating support we're currently taking, so it will hold us back again, which seems to be their purpose in life.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Spoons said:

Yes

Other sources advise that Mr Al-Quidi is a "Johnny-come-lately" to the Fruit Market project and is unwanted by all of the protagonists. His elder brother is anxious to rid himself of the burden of BRFC and, with cash draining away at an alarming rate, the younger gentleman may be squeezed out. Personal money thrown at the Colony site is a last desperate attempt to stay on board but from his playroom in Jordan our would be hero is watching that dream gradually slip away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rich said:

It’s in the middle of an industrial estate with wholesalers and tips. They’re welcome to it.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

It’s in the middle of an industrial estate with wholesalers and tips. They’re welcome to it.

Big plans to redevelop large areas of St Philips though. 

After the University Campus, Arena Island, Silverthorne Lane developments the whole area will look very different.

Will be interesting to see how the stadium will be financed and how the planning application progresses - long way to go yet.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, City37 said:

Big plans to redevelop large areas of St Philips though. 

After the University Campus, Arena Island, Silverthorne Lane developments the whole area will look very different.

Will be interesting to see how the stadium will be financed and how the planning application progresses - long way to go yet.

But all the developments are in the north of st Phillips surrounding the feeder, the fruit market area is and will continue to be for some time very much an industrial area.

Their nearest neighbours would be the dogs home (Dopey Darrell will be gutted) and a concrete plant......screed head, screed head!

12 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Fruit Market isn't a bad venue, although it'll be a nightmare for midweek game and the area is already massively congested before you try and ship a load more people in.

Oh!

are they planning to share the ground with a club whose fans actually bother showing up for matches then?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

But all the developments are in the north of st Phillips surrounding the feeder, the fruit market area is and will continue to be for some time very much an industrial area.

Their nearest neighbours would be the dogs home (Dopey Darrell will be gutted) and a concrete plant......screed head, screed head!

All the development  I listed yes - but there is a masterplan for all of St Philip's where Marv is banking on shed load of new homes - this the next logical area.

There's a bit online about this area with some saying has potential to be "Bristol's Kings Cross" .

18 hours ago, kevinmabbuttshair said:

That seems like a massive conflict of interest, perhaps some of the people of Bristol might like this issue investigated. Planners being pressed to force things through?

Judicial review may be?

To the best of my knowledge, neither City or Rovers have ever had a planning application turned down by the council. Despite various members of both sets of supporters claiming that the council are biased in favour of ‘the other lot’, history suggests that they have been supportive of both teams.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I must admit when Margot appeared in her riding boots and jodhpurs .....??

OTIB must be the only football forum where we discuss riding boots and jodhpurs! Long may it continue 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, TomF said:

With a budget black hole of nearly £20m already this year due to the ‘rona - I doubt the council will be supporting the fewers move in much capacity other than vocal support 

My major concern is the council owned land in the surrounding area being transferred/sold at a more favourable rate than on the open market. City had an agreement to purchase the East End Car park and the allotments, at what appeared to be favourable rates, because they were valued for their at the time, current uses. Those pockets of land it was argued, increased in value with development approvals. Having said that, the east end would have remained a car park, so no real increase in value, it just made the development more viable. And the allotments were mostly unused as allotments.

With St Philips, the adjacent land is council owned and is very valuable in it's own right,  it is industrial/commercial land, currently in use and close to the city centre. I think the council will argue that they're doing the same for BRFC as they were for BCFC but, that's clearly not the case if the land transfer/sale is at a lower rate. I believe it has to be market rate by law, otherwise the council are not getting full value for that land disposal.

Just a thought, where will our shops purchase their fruit and veg from? Surely the council won't hand over another site for a new fruit market?