IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

You didn’t open them to check ?

Schoolboy error . 

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Probably had a watertight case on them, that folded quicker than a bar of dairy milk chocolate that had been left on a car dashboard on a summers day, the moment he walked past Sainsbury's.

Covid-19 rules. You don't pick up and examine potential purchases these days.

I'd met Starnes once before but he's grown a beard during lockdown so I didn't recognise him on this occasion. 

Had I realised the stall was being run by the alleged purveyor of out-of-date crisps and phoney Fanta I'd have naturally been wary.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Well guess who sold me two CDs in my village jumble sale recently, which turned out just to be empty cases with no music?

Step forward Gas CEO Martyn Starnes.

I guess the 50p I was stiffed over them pales into insignificance compared to the indignities the 15ers faithful have put up with.

3 hours ago, Reddie The Eagle Edwards said:

So where is the funding for the purchase of the fruit market and building of a new stadium coming from?!

It`s from @Red-Robbo. They haven`t had such an injection of cash since I don`t know when.

Is it any coincidence that the plans got announced a few days after said village jumble sale? I don`t think so.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

That guy was on Bristol.Live the other day bragging that the Gas had sold 1300 Season Tickets for next season.

Meanwhile we’ve sold over 12000.

Apparently they’re far more loyal than us though, I know this because they bang on about it at every opportunity.

Mind the gap. 

Large

Apparently, the Magic Gnome cast a wicked spell on OTIB and it turns out that for every page of this thread, they would sell a season ticket ... so as we rapidly approach Page 1300, their CEO can brag about their massive popularity!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It`s from @Red-Robbo. They haven`t had such an injection of cash since I don`t know when.

Is it any coincidence that the plans got announced a few days after said village jumble sale? I don`t think so.

So Robbored drives the bus for their fans, and @Red-Robbo funds their new stadium.

With those usernames can we call it a coincidence? 

• Haha 2

On 16/06/2020 at 15:23, Port Said Red said:

Apparently the Gas have looked far and wide for the right architect, someone who reflects their ambitions and have plumped for this person.

https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/garden/a27309899/shed-of-the-year/#:~:text=Shed of the Year 2019 winner is nature,hobbit hole shed%2C Bux End&text=Bux End has been named,of the Year 2019 competition.

Before opening the link I genuinely started singing 'my garden shed' PSR. 

Can't think why! ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, myol'man said:

Apparently they've found £68m down the back of the sofa to buy the fruit market site 

That'll be a consortium Purchasing that site,  leasing or buying at a below market rate all the adjoining council sites. Putting forward initial plans for apartments and a hotel with profits aimed at building a stadium. Obviously those profits will be made from the procurement of council owned (public owned) land. If the land is acquired initially, they'll be able to proceed with the stadium using loans against the publicly owned (at present) land values.

Effectively I can see the council land transferred to the consortium ownership, to be enable BRFC to compete with the nasty billionaire owned franchise, that is BCFC. Aided and abetted by Marvelous Marvin and his gas chums on the council.

Pure guesswork and conjecture mind.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Rich said:

That'll be a consortium Purchasing that site,  leasing or buying at a below market rate all the adjoining council sites. Putting forward initial plans for apartments and a hotel with profits aimed at building a stadium. Obviously those profits will be made from the procurement of council owned (public owned) land. If the land is acquired initially, they'll be able to proceed with the stadium using loans against the publicly owned (at present) land values.

Effectively I can see the council land transferred to the consortium ownership, to be enable BRFC to compete with the nasty billionaire owned franchise, that is BCFC. Aided and abetted by Marvelous Marvin and his gas chums on the council.

It would appear that while BCC do not own the fruit market site, they do own quite a bit of the land between it and the river. The river frontage would of course, be a potentially attractive site for housing, rather like the development recently given permission on the old Esso garage site. 

14 hours ago, Rich said:

Nailed it I reckon Rich, which is why there should be a challenge, referral to the Omsbudsman or maybe an injunction from a wealthy person with an interest in how public assets are used..

Plenty of professional folk with locus standi living in Paintworks and Totterdown so watch this space.

When you consider the Council has all that former arena land to develop, one should ak why this is all of a sudden a priority.....

Edited by Natchfever
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, weeble said:

It would appear that while BCC do not own the fruit market site, they do own quite a bit of the land between it and the river. The river frontage would of course, be a potentially attractive site for housing, rather like the development recently given permission on the old Esso garage site. 

Thanks, I am aware that the council own lots of this land, also the yard adjoining the fruit market on Albert Rd where the bin and recycling wagons currently reside. Obviously if this were to go ahead and land was sold/transferred or leased to new owners, the public would expect the council to obtain market values for whatever land and buildings were disposed of.  If the land and buildings disposed of meant that new land and buildings had to be found, that would be at market value and as such must be at no extra cost to the local authority.

As I stated previously, land deals relating to the AV deal between BCFC and the council, were carried out using existing valuations ie: for unused allotments, also for the East End car park which had a 90 year lease on it, valued as a car park and remaining a car park. 

It could and was argued that the council themselves could have obtained PP for housing on the allotment site and increased it's value for the residents of Bristol. The same argument applies to any land transferred/sold or leased surrounding the fruit market in central Bristol, where the land values are considerably higher.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Natchfever said:

Nailed it I reckon Rich, which is why there should be a challenge, referral to the Omsbudsman or maybe an injunction from a wealthy person with an interest in how public assets are used..

Plenty of professional folk with locus standi living in Paintworks and Totterdown so watch this space.

When you consider the Council has all that former arena land to develop, one should ak why this is all of a sudden a priority.....

I walk my dog there every day and dozens more do the same.  The whole area needs to be registered as a village green.

And for anyone who is worried about the dog shit, it will be a lot worse if ever the Sags get their grubby 6 fingered hands on it.

Edited by wendyredredrobin
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, GreedyHarry said:

Hmmmm. The area known as St Phillips MARSH that apart from a blocked up lock at Totterdown Basin is essentially an island. Nope, can’t see any problems.

Marsh Gas (aka Swamp Gas) smells foul. A toxic substance generally associated with decaying vegetation, sewers and noxious industrial emissions.

Probably why the Sags want to go there.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Marsh Gas (aka Swamp Gas) smells foul. A toxic substance generally associated with decaying vegetation, sewers and noxious industrial emissions.

Probably why the Sags want to go there.

Bearing in mind that our ancestral base at Eastville, was on a muddy field between a gasworks and a regularly flooding River Frome - if it ever happens, I’m sure we’ll feel quite at home.

3 hours ago, Rich said:

Thanks, I am aware that the council own lots of this land, also the yard adjoining the fruit market on Albert Rd where the bin and recycling wagons currently reside. Obviously if this were to go ahead and land was sold/transferred or leased to new owners, the public would expect the council to obtain market values for whatever land and buildings were disposed of.  If the land and buildings disposed of meant that new land and buildings had to be found, that would be at market value and as such must be at no extra cost to the local authority.

As I stated previously, land deals relating to the AV deal between BCFC and the council, were carried out using existing valuations ie: for unused allotments, also for the East End car park which had a 90 year lease on it, valued as a car park and remaining a car park. 

It could and was argued that the council themselves could have obtained PP for housing on the allotment site and increased it's value for the residents of Bristol. The same argument applies to any land transferred/sold or leased surrounding the fruit market in central Bristol, where the land values are considerably higher.

I imagine that in the absence of planning permission for other than industrial uses, then that is what the land values would be calculated on in the event of any eventual development, if that is the precedent.

12 minutes ago, weeble said:

I imagine that in the absence of planning permission for other than industrial uses, then that is what the land values would be calculated on in the event of any eventual development, if that is the precedent.

It has to be valued on the basis of best possible use - if the type of development is a nailed on cert because the Council is facilitating a change of use then that is how it should be valued, otherwise the Council is open to a 5 oclock knock from the Ombudsman, which I would love to see happen.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, weeble said:

Bearing in mind that our ancestral base at Eastville, was on a muddy field between a gasworks and a regularly flooding River Frome - if it ever happens, I’m sure we’ll feel quite at home.

How could you ever feel 'at home'.

You don't know how that feels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Natchfever said:

It has to be valued on the basis of best possible use - if the type of development is a nailed on cert because the Council is facilitating a change of use then that is how it should be valued, otherwise the Council is open to a 5 oclock knock from the Ombudsman, which I would love to see happen.

Any land has potentially a change of use. It just needs planning permission for that change. As none of this has actually even begun to happen, and may never, there seems to be loads of speculation. But then that’s what forums are for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weeble said:

Any land has potentially a change of use. It just needs planning permission for that change. As none of this has actually even begun to happen, and may never, there seems to be loads of speculation. But then that’s what forums are for.

They will change the use to a public convenience to reduce its value and then build one.

3 hours ago, weeble said:

I would expect that to be the case. Though we must remember that the council currently receives rental income from those tenants (not fruit market), so that sets the value, rather than it just being industrial land with no buildings. The council will also need to find a different depot to replace the one adjacent to the fruit market.

It's all about displacement and costs incurred due to the displacement. It should not result in the council having to pay more for a replacement venue, than it currently does. Of course, it might be argued that the council revenue would go up because of the developments. If that were the case, they could do it anyway, without the income generated from a stadium, especially as there's already a stadium producing income, in Horfield. 

It's a minefield of scenarios and pure speculation. I do want and expect to see the council acting for all residents of Bristol though, not just a tiny percentage of less than 2%.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rich said:

I would expect that to be the case. Though we must remember that the council currently receives rental income from those tenants (not fruit market), so that sets the value, rather than it just being industrial land with no buildings. The council will also need to find a different depot to replace the one adjacent to the fruit market.

It's all about displacement and costs incurred due to the displacement. It should not result in the council having to pay more for a replacement venue, than it currently does. Of course, it might be argued that the council revenue would go up because of the developments. If that were the case, they could do it anyway, without the income generated from a stadium, especially as there's already a stadium producing income, in Horfield. 

It's a minefield of scenarios and pure speculation. I do want and expect to see the council acting for all residents of Bristol though, not just a tiny percentage of less than 2%.

A lot of businesses that may need to relocate in that area. As I remember there are some houses on the Feeder road/Albert road area too, I am sure they will be very keen on a stadium next door. :) 

image.png.c31637adbadd0266aa9ccb022c3d7330.png