IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

14 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

This makes me think a tiny  bit of you is worried :)

Just the redevelopment of Ashton Gate  cost in excess of £50m and that was without having to buy the land. A large percentage of the build cost was catering / hospitality facilities. Today, to build a ground of similar standard from scratch would cost In excess £100m plus the cost of the land. Nobody is going to spend that sort of money on a League 1 team that’s losing £3m a year. The sale of the Memorial ground will bring in a few pounds but nowhere near enough to make a meaningful contribution. The best Rovers can hope for  is a basic 10-12k capacity stadium with basic facilities. The worst case is it all goes pear shaped. 

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Just the redevelopment of Ashton Gate  cost in excess of £50m and that was without having to buy the land. A large percentage of the build cost was catering / hospitality facilities. Today, to build a ground of similar standard from scratch would cost In excess £100m plus the cost of the land. Nobody is going to spend that sort of money on a League 1 team that’s losing £3m a year. The sale of the Memorial ground will bring in a few pounds but nowhere near enough to make a meaningful contribution. The best Rovers can hope for  is a basic 10-12k capacity stadium with basic facilities. The worst case is it all goes pear shaped. 

Tell that to Ska Junkie not me :)

Edited by Miah Dennehy
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

5 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

What's the motivation for the investors then? I don't get it.

24 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

You might want to bookmark this thread, just in case you need to refer back to it later.

https://gaschat.co.uk/thread/16366/club-statement-ownership-board-structure?page=1

I seem to remember when UWE was announced within 5 minutes they had a thread called "Your message to BS3 here".

Shame that forum got shut down because they accused their players of taking drugs after they got relegated to non league in their own kit.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Rovers seem to be debt free as of tonight but it doesn’t solve the problem of the weekly losses that are being accumulated. As Charles Dickens’ character,   Mr Micawber, said: 

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen [pounds] nineteen [shillings] and six [pence], result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."

Adjust that for inflation and you have the scenario facing Rovers 

Add COVID-19 and you have a disaster.

Or he's paid off all his family debt before calling in the administrators in the next week or so.

Won't get disowned then, and they'll feel sorry for him. Wally goes back to living in their shadows, whilst taking a big dump in the middle of the Mem.

Meanwhile back in Sag land, they start going to the council with their begging bowl as they have no ground, no owner, and no hope.

So many false dawns, and yet they still think that they're going places.....

11 hours ago, Gashead2017 said:

What a time to be a Gashead, debt free tonight and a multi million new stadium development being announced next week, not sure life can get better than this, we jut need to convince Matty Taylor we can offer him better prospects than Oxford and it will have been a perfect summer. 

Where have I heard that before?

26 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

It’s funny that when SL writes of our debt they mock this approach and gloat how it will all go wrong when SL sells up, yet when exactly the same thing happens to them it’s amazing news and the start of a new era!

Suddenly the.boy wonder is a financial genius. This despite showing no discernible business acumen of his own throughout his life. I wonder why his brother has hung on to that 10%? It could be a punt with a small amount of his money, or Wael couldn’t stretch to buying the whole kit and caboodle.

As far as I can see, he has no income from other ventures that would allow for ongoing debt support or investment, so this is a one off gamble with daddy’s inheritance. I guess you can’t take it with you.

1 hour ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

It’s funny that when SL writes of our debt they mock this approach and gloat how it will all go wrong when SL sells up, yet when exactly the same thing happens to them it’s amazing news and the start of a new era!

It's always different rules for them.

9 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

What's the motivation for the investors then? I don't get it.

Exactly. Things are not as presented by Wael and the Rovers supporters. This is a business land development deal, with the Rovers thrown in as a red herring to ease the planning process. There will be much joy by the Rovers fans for the next few months or years, but the truth will emerge in time.  As the man himself says, “these things take time”

Well, after all the laughs they've given us stretching all the way back to the Wonga loan and the watertight contract with Sainsbury's I am happy to acknowledge that these financing changes are without question tremendous news for the Rovers.  No qualifying statement it is simply very good news indeed.

Now with that conceded please go back to making us laugh.

• Haha 1

I won't be at all surprised to see Wally get an option to buy the Fruit Market and secure planning permission before selling up.

Or at least trying to sell up.

I presume the fruit market site will be a fairly complicated deal to conclude (I have no idea how it would work) but...

Both Rovers and the Fruits are still trading, so neither could move until a new home is in place, so I would guess that stage 1 would be, build a new home somewhere for the fruit Market, then knock down the old fruit Market and build a new stadium, then move out the Mem.

Sounds like the sort of thing that would take a long time.

17 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Well, after all the laughs they've given us stretching all the way back to the Wonga loan and the watertight contract with Sainsbury's I am happy to acknowledge that these financing changes are without question tremendous news for the Rovers.  No qualifying statement it is simply very good news indeed.

Now with that conceded please go back to making us laugh.

Rumours that I’ve seen are . A consortium buying the fruit market land . Building a stadium and housing but not having a stake in the football club.

if this is true then they’d be back to being rent boys and depending on the lease agreement , it could end up back to a eastville scenario or a Coventry 

• Like 1

Just now, Born and Red in 82 said:

So in simple terms for this simple person

they are debt free but wont own anything !

it will be interesting to see how it un ‘folds’

That’s why I can’t understand their joy

they owe **** all but they own **** all

The only assets they’d have would be their players, and it’s been a long time since they had players like Lambert on their books

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

That’s why I can’t understand their joy

they owe **** all but they own **** all

The only assets they’d have would be their players, and it’s been a long time since they had players like Lambert on their books

So sustainability would need to come from their academy and developing players for resale?

Tricky market to get right I would wager, we have had some success in developing young players, but a lot of our youth we've paid transfer fees for.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I’m going to answer this post ‘Sagstyle’:

“Ye but deY is a SugA dAddys plAstic pLayFing I cAnt wAyt TIL hE pullS dA pLug n deY gO bUst looooooooool a nEw earrer iz cuMin”

• Haha 1

Seems like Wally learnt his lesson when Higgs lumbered him with a polished turd.

I'm sure at this point he's just applying a fresh coat of polish before moving it on and breaking even or making a small profit now he's had his fun with it.

49 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Rumours that I’ve seen are . A consortium buying the fruit market land . Building a stadium and housing but not having a stake in the football club.

if this is true then they’d be back to being rent boys and depending on the lease agreement , it could end up back to a eastville scenario or a Coventry 

Or what they could have had at UWE. As you say, dependent on the lease terms (I think that was the problem at UWE) but they can't know now what they'll likely be.

12 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Or what they could have had at UWE. As you say, dependent on the lease terms (I think that was the problem at UWE) but they can't know now what they'll likely be.

I’m guessing but tying it in with wael buying his brother out who was completely against uwe. It could be a case peppercorn rent but no bar/ hospitality takings . Which will have them in a financial headlock 

37 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

So sustainability would need to come from their academy and developing players for resale?

Tricky market to get right I would wager, we have had some success in developing young players, but a lot of our youth we've paid transfer fees for.

The academy route seems to be the likely option as Rovers have said they want to get rid of their “expensive” (!) players and replace them with lower league cheaper players with potential. As Rovers are in League 1, and aren’t prepared to pay much,  the players they get aren’t likely to be of high standard. Any exceptional local young players will have the choice of joining City’s academy or Rovers. An easy choice 

• Like 1