IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

So the gas get a shiny new methanarium they don't own so pay rent for it and the consortium build houses around it and probably take a fair chunk of the generated non match day revenues? Is that right?

Apart from the fact they would have a new venue, given they're paying rent and lose all the stuff that's made a difference to us, doesn't that make them worse off then? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

The academy route seems to be the likely option as Rovers have said they want to get rid of their “expensive” (!) players and replace them with lower league cheaper players with potential. As Rovers are in League 1, and aren’t prepared to pay much,  the players they get aren’t likely to be of high standard. Any exceptional local young players will have the choice of joining City’s academy or Rovers. An easy choice 

But, if they have to really trim the squad, those youngster could potentially get first team football. Something which, even in our Division now, would be a lot harder to achieve . It is a potential selling point for them. Be interesting to see how deep Waels , or/and the new peoples pockets are. Academies can be expensive things to run, and take time to return a profit.

I wish they'd just bugger off back to non League and get it over with.

13 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

You are worried- brilliant!

I have to admit to being worried Miah.

1. Worried that my council rates would be used to assist BRFC to play in a new stadium, at no cost to themselves.

2. Worried that they'd get an unfair advantage to be just a little more successful than anytime in the last 40 years.

3. Worried that they'd Mop up a few floating supporters who would otherwise have continued flocking to see BCFC.

4. Worried that they'd hold up the charge of BCFC by continuing to cling onto our shirt tails.

5. Worried that there will be a massive court case against BCC for misdemeanors during land transfers/sales/leases, resulting in more costs to the citizens of Bristol.

6. worried that any displacements from existing premises in the surrounding areas, will result in more money paid out by the citizens of Bristol finding alternative premises.

7. Worried that the few BRFC supporters I know, might be getting excited about this and as a result, messing with their deluded minds even more..

8. Worried that I've already spent enough of my time worrying about something that most probably won't happen.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I’m guessing but tying it in with wael buying his brother out who was completely against uwe. It could be a case peppercorn rent but no bar/ hospitality takings . Which will have them in a financial headlock 

I'm certainly not basing this on anything I 'know', but Id always assumed that was the problem with UWE, and that either Wael was either not aware of it when he bought it, or maybe as you suggest didn't think it a problem but his brother did.

I think it was/will be a big problem personally. Look at the massive difference expanding hospitality, food outlets etc has made to City - and we had some to start with!

19 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

The irony is that they are only in the position they thought they were in when he took over

What? You mean he really is the 6th richest person in football??

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

But, if they have to really trim the squad, those youngster could potentially get first team football. Something which, even in our Division now, would be a lot harder to achieve . It is a potential selling point for them. Be interesting to see how deep Waels , or/and the new peoples pockets are. Academies can be expensive things to run, and take time to return a profit.

I wish they'd just bugger off back to non League and get it over with.

Those youngsters could also potentially take them down. They were hardly smashing it in League One as it was, and it seems they have got rid of a couple of decent players for that level that the fans wanted to keep. The striker could be gone at the next opportunity, and they could have a squad that may really struggle next season. Easy to say get rid of the experience/costs and replace them cheaply, but in reality it will be a lot harder, even if they find a couple of gems along the way. Add in the fact the costs of running an academy, getting it right and bringing players through, it is hardly a quick easy fix.

It seems their fans seem to think they are debt free, will have a superb academy and a new stadium and things couldn't be better, when in reality they probably won't actually own anything bar the players and the Colony? Matchday costs will go right up, and where are the extra fans going to come from to cover all these costs? 

2 hours ago, wood_red said:

Those youngsters could also potentially take them down. They were hardly smashing it in League One as it was, and it seems they have got rid of a couple of decent players for that level that the fans wanted to keep. The striker could be gone at the next opportunity, and they could have a squad that may really struggle next season. Easy to say get rid of the experience/costs and replace them cheaply, but in reality it will be a lot harder, even if they find a couple of gems along the way. Add in the fact the costs of running an academy, getting it right and bringing players through, it is hardly a quick easy fix.

It seems their fans seem to think they are debt free, will have a superb academy and a new stadium and things couldn't be better, when in reality they probably won't actually own anything bar the players and the Colony? Matchday costs will go right up, and where are the extra fans going to come from to cover all these costs? 

If they get a core of reasonable players, then give the odd young kid a chance, a little like we do, they sale at a profit an repeat. It's easier further down the League, and easier if you have no real ambition. 

As for debt free, I've not looked at it but you could say we are debt free. Difference is we have a Billionaire owner who is happy to pay while he builds. They have an owner who's family is worth (I think) £400m maybe. His wealth a lot less than that and has links with investment bankers. I still think he has done this to get the books looking good, a potential new ground lined up, and then look to get rid. I might be wrong, but if he's in it for the Club, it will cost him a lot of money.  If they rent the fruit market site, at least he can sale the Mem, take his money and then it's just the club . Rent and match day costs Vs match day income (some that could be claimed by the ground owners) , not sure how long that would be viable. And what is in it for the owners of the ground? They get rent, maybe a cut from match day sales. But an initial multi million outlay only to get a paltry ant in return seems strange, unless. I wonder if when they sale the Mem , maybe the training ground too, he hands the club over and walks with all his money back. Just thinking out loud , but I don't get what is going on there TBH.

18 hours ago, Lew-T said:
rovers5charlton5 Avatar
rovers5charlton5
Fans' Favourite
4 hours ago
Tilly's Thighs, socrates, and 1 more like this
19th June 2020

Put that date in your diary Gasheads

The day we started to dream!

Why are they so incredibly tragic and cringeworthy?

Yeah because we don’t have our fair share of soppy melts on here!!

19 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I think this f@ckwit actually believes this rubbish! ?

image.png.6e5855ee305dd47f5716ef0cbe98b367.png

Yes, of course...once they move into their soulless, plastic bowl miles away from their traditional heartland we may as well fold the club.

Idiots ?

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

23 hours ago, fatchers said:

I thought Wally ran a travel company ,thus making him a travel agent. Not the best time to be a travel agent and certainly not going to make the millions needed to support a tin pot outfit like the pikeys.

No, he isn't a travel agent. Whether or not he is the Messiah or not is another matter.

21 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Rumours that I’ve seen are . A consortium buying the fruit market land . Building a stadium and housing but not having a stake in the football club.

if this is true then they’d be back to being rent boys and depending on the lease agreement , it could end up back to a eastville scenario or a Coventry 

We (Bristol city) pay rent to pay at Ashton Gate. 

We (Bristol city) do not own Ashton gate and haven’t for a long long time. 

34 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

I believe Ashton Gate stadium is owned by Bristol City Holdings Ltd which, along with the various other companies in the group, is ultimately owned by Steve and Maggie via Pula Sport Limited. No problemo. 

I think most clubs have restructured in this sort of way in modern times. Which is very different from, say, a Coventry City situation where they sold their stadium and then rented a new one from a third party, which was absolutely ruinous for them. 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

The structure involving Bristol Sport, Bristol City and Bristol Bears etc is complicated to say the least and I don’t  try to understand the way money flows between the various parts of the structure. There is however one thing that’s clear from the City accounts and that’s commercial income for City was (from memory) approx £15M last year. If Rovers end up in a stadium owned and paid for by a consortium, then the consortium will almost certainly get the commercial income. Ruinous for Rovers as said by @City Rocker . The only way to make money from the new ground will be for Wael to buy the portion of the fruit market site to be used for the stadium and finance it’s build himself. He may decide to do this or he may not. Time will tell

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Am I right in saying they never reached full capacity at Eastville or is that rubbish?

The theoretical capacity of Eastville was 39,000. The safety at sports ground act reduced that to 12,500.  The record attendance was 38,472 against Preston in the FA cup in 1960.

I watched a league cup game against Stoke as a youngster in the seventies. The crowd was over 33,000 and it was scarily packed. The idea that you could legally still squash  in another 6,000 horrifies me. It’s amazing that there weren’t more crowd fatalities than there were over the years.

Edited by weeble
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, weeble said:

The theoretical capacity of Eastville was 39,000. The safety at sports ground act reduced that to 12,500.  The record attendance was 38,472 against Preston in the FA cup in 1960.

I watched a league cup game against Stoke as a youngster in the seventies. The crowd was over 33,000 and it was scarily packed. The idea that you could legally still squash  in another 6,000 horrifies me. It’s amazing that there weren’t more crowd fatalities than there were over the years.

Especially with ALL the Stokies in the Tote (I know, I joined them there :yes:)

A development (of sorts)...

Go Outdoors has filed something or another with the courts that stops creditors from taking any action against them for the next 10 days.

Evidently they are in some sort of financial strife, not sure what that means for their redevelopment plans, other than it can't be good news.

6 hours ago, CiderJar said:

If you look closely you can see the flames coming from his pants...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3010721795689610&id=102814153147070

Screenshot_20200622-042730_Google.jpg.823c17a811f89804a0914dbfbc210033.jpg

Q: Clubs losing £3m+ a year, what are you doing to reduce that?

A: I'm building a training ground to help with future sustainability.

Yeh, that should do it keep going.

13 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Q: Clubs losing £3m+ a year, what are you doing to reduce that?

A: I'm building a training ground to help with future sustainability.

Yeh, that should do it keep going.

If there is on thing bound to reduce losses, it's a training ground.

We all know how lucrative 3 porta-cabins and a field is.

Can't believe just how much they have closed the gap over the weekend.

• Haha 3