IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

I have my own non league side I follow, Worthing. They’ve raised almost 50k in a couple of weeks, surely Rovers can manage something like that for the dubbin to waterproof their ‘stands’.

Sad thing is we were going to piss the Isthmian league this year and they cancelled the season.

Players move constantly at that level so no guarantees for next season.

Football doesn’t half suck at times.

Manager’s grandad played for us btw, Wally Hinshelwood.

Edited by RumRed

2 hours ago, Bob Taylor is GOD said:

It would be interesting to know where the current "Blue Few" come from?

Eastville/Fishponds,     Kingswood/Hanham/Warmley,    Bath,   Horfield...

Well I was brought up in Fishponds, now live in Hanham, have also lived in Eastville, Kingswood and very briefly Warmley. So I nearly have the full set!  Maybe it just depends where I'm living :)

Edit: I also lived in Lawrence Weston 30 odd years ago which- at the time- I would have said was more Rovers than City!  Mind you when I lived in Redfield and St George it was more of a 50/50 split.

Edited by Miah Dennehy
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Well I was brought up in Fishponds, now live in Hanham, have also lived in Eastville, Kingswood and very briefly Warmley. So I nearly have the full set!  Maybe it just depends where I'm living :)

Edit: I also lived in Lawrence Weston 30 odd years ago which- at the time- I would have said was more Rovers than City!  Mind you when I lived in Redfield and St George it was more of a 50/50 split.

Didn't move to Bath and Horfield with them then? ?

3 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

L Dub was more Blue than red, where As  Shire was the opposite, more red that blue.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bob Taylor is GOD said:

It would be interesting to know where the current "Blue Few" come from?

Eastville/Fishponds,     Kingswood/Hanham/Warmley,    Bath,   Horfield...

Used to be 1 on Bemmy Down but I think he's gone now 

5 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

can you confirm that the Rovers 50 in the above is actually in thousands, like the Wembley attendance?, therefore more than our portion.

Reading tonight's Bristol Post article headlined "Wael Al-Qadi, Bristol Rovers and the truth" I was reminded of the old Gene Pitney song "Somewhere in the West Country"

Nobody wants him he's nobody's child
Nobody seems to care
Isn't it funny now that he needs someone
There's nobody there ...

13 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

Wally cetainly has all his eggs in one basket now.

If he can't secure some sort of deal in the next 1 or 2 years there's going to be one giant omlette in the middle of the Gloucester Road.

Yes, it's a fruit basket.

Trouble is, the people that want to buy the fruit basket, don't appear to care, need or want BRFC on board.

I would imagine that the Mayor of BCC and his best mate are doing their utmost to tempt those prospective fruit basket owners into including a stadium, with the transfer/sale of cheap public owned land. Thing is, they'd get a better and quicker return on their investment if it were developed for residential use.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

Yes, it's a fruit basket.

Trouble is, the people that want to buy the fruit basket, don't appear to care, need or want BRFC on board.

I would imagine that the Mayor of BCC and his best mate are doing their utmost to tempt those prospective fruit basket owners into including a stadium, with the transfer/sale of cheap public owned land. Thing is, they'd get a better and quicker return on their investment if it were developed for residential use.

they wont get no return on their investment with that shower gung ho on nicking it

Can any of the financial wizz kids on here explain to me how capitalising debt works? 

I know SL has done it for us so it's industry practice but I don't quite get it. 

I sort of understand that instead of paying a debt the company pays its loaner the debt value in shares and that due to the two companies being under the same roof its a bit like paying yourself however, what does that do to a clubs value? 

If the methane snorters were valued at 13.5 million and the share issue was greater than that then surely that would now value the club at the level of the share issue otherwise the share holder will have to wait for the value of his stock to be at that level or greater to make any money. 

If I have 20 million pounds worth of shares but someone wants to buy me out they have to give me 20 million to buy 13.5 million pounds worth of assets? 

It's confusing. 

51 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

Can any of the financial wizz kids on here explain to me how capitalising debt works? 

I know SL has done it for us so it's industry practice but I don't quite get it. 

I sort of understand that instead of paying a debt the company pays its loaner the debt value in shares and that due to the two companies being under the same roof its a bit like paying yourself however, what does that do to a clubs value? 

If the methane snorters were valued at 13.5 million and the share issue was greater than that then surely that would now value the club at the level of the share issue otherwise the share holder will have to wait for the value of his stock to be at that level or greater to make any money. 

If I have 20 million pounds worth of shares but someone wants to buy me out they have to give me 20 million to buy 13.5 million pounds worth of assets? 

It's confusing. 

I've no basis for this, but I always assumed it worked so that the owner takes a larger slice of the club, diluting the value of other shareholders in the process.

So let's say there are 100 shares of Bristol Rovers. Wael owns 49 shares and other investors own 51 shares. So 49% v 51%.

The club has racked up debts to Wael.

Instead of calling in the debt, Wael can capitalise it as equity instead. So the club will create maybe 20 extra shares, all going to Wael (so it's now 69 shares v 51 shares). This leaves the split at 57.5% v 42.5%. So the other investors own the same number of shares as before, but they are now worth less as Wael has taken a bigger chunk of the pie as part of the debt capitalisation.

The club's value remains exactly the same theoretically. It's just distributed differently internally.

I could be way, way off but this is how I assumed it works, and I think it's this practice which has allowed Wael to take control of Rovers.

Fully prepared to be ripped to shreds here now!

Edited by nebristolred
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, nebristolred said:

I've no basis for this, but I always assumed it worked so that the owner takes a larger slice of the club, diluting the value of other shareholders in the process.

So let's say there are 100 shares of Bristol Rovers. Wael owns 49 shares and other investors own 51 shares. So 49% v 51%.

Instead of calling in the debt, Wael can capitalise it as equity instead. So the club will create maybe 20 extra shares, all going to Wael (so it's now 69 shares v 51 shares). This leaves the split at 57.5% v 42.5%. So the other investors own the same number of shares as before, but they are now worth less as Wael has taken a bigger chunk of the pie as part of the debt capitalisation.

The club's value remains exactly the same theoretically. It's just distributed differently internally.

I could be way, way off but this is how I assumed it works, and I think it's this practice which has allowed Wael to take control of Rovers.

Wael took effective sole control by negotiating the acquisition of the other family shareholdings in Dwane Sports after the death of his father. He now holds 90% of the family share holding and his brother Sami 10%.

Although I’m no expert on capitalising debt, I think your description is pretty much spot on. By issuing more shares that he then acquires, Wael can remove the outstanding debt, but this also dilutes the percentage held by other people. I believe it’s the process SL has used at City to remove debt, although I stand to be corrected.

31 minutes ago, weeble said:

Wael took effective sole control by negotiating the acquisition of the other family shareholdings in Dwane Sports after the death of his father. He now holds 90% of the family share holding and his brother Sami 10%.

Although I’m no expert on capitalising debt, I think your description is pretty much spot on. By issuing more shares that he then acquires, Wael can remove the outstanding debt, but this also dilutes the percentage held by other people. I believe it’s the process SL has used at City to remove debt, although I stand to be corrected.

The last couple of sentences are spot on. My 10 a shares in City mean I now only  own one hundredth of a door handle on one of the toilet doors. Not that I’m complaining as if could be worse. I could hold 100% of a tent at the minimal stadium 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

There is a huge difference between decent and stunning.

These signings are unlikely to be playing for pennies, wonder if Wally has loosened the purse strings and is having a punt at the top 6?

Either way, they are doing their business early which is usually a sign of intent.

31 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

These signings are unlikely to be playing for pennies, wonder if Wally has loosened the purse strings and is having a punt at the top 6?

Either way, they are doing their business early which is usually a sign of intent.

Everything they do is in sight of a tent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

On 25/06/2020 at 15:42, nebristolred said:

Correct, I think, except that the club’s value rises, it doesn’t stay the same. There is now capital of 120, not 100. And yes, the asset value is the same, but the debt has been reduced, so the net asset value has risen. This is why capitalising the owner’s debt is generally seen as a good thing - he has the same amount of money involved, but the balance sheet is stronger. If the business fails, the owner loses that extra money, rather than claiming it as a lender.