IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

8 hours ago, Red_Alligator said:

I see they're currently running a thread titled "Why we will never be successful" - methinks they may be on to something there. Plenty of mileage in that one.

That's a little bit confusing. 

I'm sure we were told that their foray in to non league football was the best thing that ever happened to them and the resulting years have seen unparalleled success..! 

1 hour ago, Isawjonshaw said:

brilliant

9 hours ago, Red_Alligator said:

I see they're currently running a thread titled "Why we will never be successful" - methinks they may be on to something there. Plenty of mileage in that one.

I just had a look at it and disappointingly, it’s a statement rather than a question. The OP is stating that it’s because they sell their best players but don’t reinvest the money, seemingly oblivious to the fact that they are losing money hand over fist even when they have punters through the door.

It’s a quite depressing thread full of sensible answers with only a couple of “gifts” for us such as the guy who says he is also a Manchester United fan (never understood how that works) and the usual fantasist who thinks they are a big club with a huge fan base.

Edited by Port Said Red

9 hours ago, Red_Alligator said:

One guy on that thread wants to get back to the days when they were arch rivals with Aston Villa!?!

Another, slightly more realistic, one has his sights firmly set on being like Doncaster United or Rotherham

• Haha 2

Just now, richwwtk said:

One guy on that thread wants to get back to the days when they were arch rivals with Aston Villa!?!

Another, slightly more realistic, one has his sights firmly set on being like Doncaster United or Rotherham

I bet they crave the days when they were arch rivals to...... US..! 

In something other than location alone. 

6 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

they probably were rivals with Villa for a brief period....Villa climbed out of Division 3 in the 70's on their way to a European Cup win in the early 80's

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

they probably were rivals with Villa for a brief period....Villa climbed out of Division 3 in the 70's on their way to a European Cup win in the early 80's

Yes, but you are forgetting that Villas European success was all down to those 2 fixtures against Rovers and for than, they will always hold them dear, as an intrinsic part of the formation of their recent history. 

I fact, if you watch back over their European Cup final, as they lift the trophy aloft, you can just about make out their captain dedicating their triumph to Bristol Rovers. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yes, but you are forgetting that Villas European success was all down to those 2 fixtures against Rovers and for than, they will always hold them dear, as an intrinsic part of the formation of their recent history. 

I fact, if you watch back over their European Cup final, as they lift the trophy aloft, you can just about make out their captain dedicating their triumph to Bristol Rovers. 

Sad but true.

:yes:

• Like 1

After signing McCormick , the Chelsea ‘ wonder kid ‘ here is a recap from his time at Shrewsbury.

’ 

WA
Wayne8513 HRS AGO

More research and balance needed.

"hardly saw anything of McCormick, like Colkett from the year before I guess the non competitive nature of life at the Chelsea Under 21’s has not prepared him for real football"

"Showed flashes of brilliance in his first game and looked like he could be an asset. The games after that he put in some terrible performances, he couldn’t do anything right"

"The kid is probably great showing off juggling a ball in a park but can't tackle or pass when the pressure is on"

Coming for us .

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

That's a little bit confusing. 

I'm sure we were told that their foray in to non league football was the best thing that ever happened to them and the resulting years have seen unparalleled success..! 

Depends which way you look at it. 

If I were to say to you that a non-league club who is struggling financially and has a poor Infastructure, has managed to get themselves a few promotions in the last 5 years and are now plying their trade in League 1, then you would say that they have been a relatively successful club wouldn't you?

NLBR - Non League Bristol Rovers. Punching above their weight since 2016.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Robin 1

11 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

So basically, the full and entire extent of their ambition is to play in the third division? Jesus wept.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Success for me would be playing in the same division as the S@@t and doing the double over them! Preferebly in a nice new ground with a Bristol born lad scoring the winner.

How cute that they see getting the chance to play us as ‘success’.

If that doesn’t demonstrate how far behind us they’ve fallen in the last couple of decades then I don’t know what does?
No wonder we just laugh at them these days.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Success for me would be playing in the same division as the S@@t and doing the double over them! Preferebly in a nice new ground with a Bristol born lad scoring the winner.

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

How cute that they see getting the chance to play us as ‘success’.

If that doesn’t demonstrate how far behind us they’ve fallen in the last couple of decades then I don’t know what does?
No wonder we just laugh at them these days.

The most telling thing about that statement is that they'd see it as "success" if that were to happen in league one, due to our failure..! 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

The most telling thing about that statement is that they'd see it as "success" if that were to happen in league one, due to our failure..! 

and Ladies and Gentlemen, that is our Gaseous Friends.....always (in my lifetime, and I'm 58 now) they've always have hated us more than loved their own team. Odd bunch...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Success in their eyes would be erecting a new tent, importing a bus stop and calling it a stand, adding row M to it, replacing the portaloos with a 21st century solution and finding some unexpired crisps and Fantas to sell to their dwindling fanbase.

In truth, survival is about as much as they can hope for as things stand, though Ben Garner seems to be doing as much as he can to ensure their speedy demise.