IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

Under Rishi Sunak new scheme at the Memorial Ground;

You give the man on disabled gate £10, he gives you back £3.33, he keeps £3.33, and then lets you in. 

When inside you find out that no spectators are allowed in and so you have to leave. You ask the nice man for your tenner back and he says go **** yourself. 

You realise that he actually kept £6.67 and you've been taken for a mug.

Get home to listen to the boyz in blue lose 2-0

• Like 1

On 22/09/2020 at 22:43, Red_Alligator said:

I see they're currently running a thread titled "Why we will never be successful" - methinks they may be on to something there. Plenty of mileage in that one.

Are they seriously asking that question "Why we will never be successful" and nobody from the dwindling blue few can give an  answer that doesn't involve dribbling.

I mean, it's not like it's a difficult question, is it.

12 hours ago, Swede said:

Are they seriously asking that question "Why we will never be successful" and nobody from the dwindling blue few can give an  answer that doesn't involve dribbling.

I mean, it's not like it's a difficult question, is it.

The answer is the same as it has been for the last 100 years or more. No money, no fans and no ambition. Some things never change.

There is a big difference between us and the gas HAVING to rent to survive. They sold eastville because they were skint and ended up renting it . They rented Bath because they could'nt afford the rent increase at eastville. They left Bath to share then take over the Memorial Ground(thanks to dodgy board member) They pay rent to the fake sheik because he owns the ground as security till he builds houses on it.

On 23/09/2020 at 17:03, Banned User said:

Success for me would be playing in the same division as the S@@t and doing the double over them! Preferebly in a nice new ground with a Bristol born lad scoring the winner.

Sorry; life is full of disappoitments.

On a slightly different subject...

Must sting a bit that even our fringe players who can’t get anywhere near our first team would rather go all the way to Hull to get a game than pull on ‘Da famous Quarterz’ ?

Poor old Slags, not as special as they think they are...

• Like 3

Before my time, but my parents and grandparents often told me how they watched city one week and the gas the next. Apparently lots of people did it. 

Joking aside, were my family unique or was that more common place when football was the equivalent of £2 a ticket?

I can't imagine any circumstance in modern football where that would happen. 

Perhaps the tribal rivalry wasn't as intense back then?

• Like 1

Yes I have heard this too. I remember a kid at my primary school doing it, and that was in  the 1980s when things between fans were already toxic. 

But it must have been common in the days before getting to away games was feasible. 

I’m intrigued to know how people who did this chose which side to support in a derby match. 

Yep, seems to have been pretty common “back in the day”.

I’m glad I got in to football at the time Rovers were in Bath, as I grew north of the river. My dad is an Argyle fan, so just took me to any team that was local. Could well have ended up on the other side of the fence if Rovers had still been playing in Bristol then.

Jeez, I’m off for a wash, I feel dirty.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Joking aside, were my family unique or was that more common place when football was the equivalent of £2 a ticket?

I can remember paying £2.50 to stand on the East End in 1990ish.

Open end was £3.00 for some reason?

If I remember the atmosphere inside football grounds at that time correctly, I imagine there weren’t too many people visiting Ashton Gate one week and then going to Trumpton the following week unless your name is Roger Malone.

I believe it used to be a reasonably common occurrence in the 50’s and 60’s. Then we got promoted to the top flight in the 70s and the ‘Gas’ who would watch us one week and their own shower the next suddenly forgot where Eastville was.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I can remember paying £2.50 to stand on the East End in 1990ish.

Open end was £3.00 for some reason?

If I remember the atmosphere inside football grounds at that time correctly, I imagine there weren’t too many people visiting Ashton Gate one week and then going to Trumpton the following week unless your name is Roger Malone.

I believe it used to be a reasonably common occurrence in the 50’s and 60’s. Then we got promoted to the top flight in the 70s and the ‘Gas’ who would watch us one week and their own shower the next suddenly forgot where Eastville was.

My word.... £2.50!

It's amazing how prices have increased about inflation. 

Arsenal being £90. A pound a minute for a game of football 

9 hours ago, Matthew me said:

Before my time, but my parents and grandparents often told me how they watched city one week and the gas the next. Apparently lots of people did it. 

My Dad did that and actually met my mum at a Rovers match when City’s away game was called off him and his mates went to watch Rovers, would have been early/mid 70’s as I’m 41

Edited by Tinmans Love Child
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

My Dad did that and actually met my mum at a Rovers match when City’s away game was called off him and his mates went to watch Rovers, would have been early/mid 70’s as I’m 41

Amazing isn't it. Hard to imagine you could watch both teams. But it looks like plenty of people did!

I used to occasionally watch Rovers when I was at school in the 60s. Living closer to Eastville than Ashton Gate  it was relatively easy to get there (children used to actually walk long distances to places in those days). A lot of things were different including a lack of live football on TV and hardly any highlights. So if you wanted to watch a match when the team you supported wasn’t playing you had to go to watch another team. There was rivalry between the two sets of supporters then, but not the hatred you get now, so it didn’t seem strange for City supporters to occasionally watch Rovers and vice versa. Of course, when I went to Eastville I always supported the opposition 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Matthew me said:

The shared experience of the war years produced a lot of social cohesion that persisted probably into the sixties. The pathe news footage of Rovers v City games in the fifties doesn’t seem to show any fan segregation and games passed without trouble. I remember speaking to some people at Eastville who watched Rovers one week and City the next, something I can’t imagine doing.

While rivalry/banter between teams is part of being a football fan, the illogical vitriol that can be found on any of the football forums, towards people who enjoy the same sport and come from the same city, I have to say I find rather saddening.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

I used to occasionally watch Rovers when I was at school in the 60s. Living closer to Eastville than Ashton Gate  it was relatively easy to get there (children used to actually walk long distances to places in those days). A lot of things were different including a lack of live football on TV and hardly any highlights. So if you wanted to watch a match when the team you supported wasn’t playing you had to go to watch another team. There was rivalry between the two sets of supporters then, but not the hatred you get now, so it didn’t seem strange for City supporters to occasionally watch Rovers and vice versa. Of course, when I went to Eastville I always supported the opposition 

Just to confirm other posters my mum and dad used to watch both team right through the 50's, but were always City first. You have to remember that travelling away was more of a one off special than an every week event. 

When I started going to watch City in the mid sixties, if we weren't home we would go to the reserves games, Rovers if they played anyone of note (I remember games against Chelsea, Southampton and Sunderland) or Bath City. My mother was disabled so we rarely travelled away and if we did the furthest I think we went was Birmingham.

Edited by Port Said Red

11 hours ago, Matthew me said:

Quite a common occurrence then..

My father was what you might call "open minded" and of course at Ashton to watch his reds with me one week,,,the next we'd be at eastville meeting his rovers supporting pal - a great guy,,won an MM in WW2....a very unassuming man as such people often are..

Seemed a normal thing for us to do at the time..very happy memories.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matthew me said:

Amazing isn't it. Hard to imagine you could watch both teams. But it looks like plenty of people did!

The thing is in the 70’s there were no games on Tv in the pub to watch or anything like that, so if you wanted to watch football and your team was not playing then it was the logical thing to do, from speaking to my Dad about it He was always a City fan but also a fan of football

• Like 2