IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

46 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It`s the mighty Doncaster United away for them today I believe.

Yes it is. Even despite the lack of attendance, I'm sure they've produced a lovely crystal vase to present to the match sponsors. 

"Doncaster Rovers Vs Bristol Albion" 

It's such a nice touch...! 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Matthew me said:

Before my time, but my parents and grandparents often told me how they watched city one week and the gas the next. Apparently lots of people did it. 

Joking aside, were my family unique or was that more common place when football was the equivalent of £2 a ticket?

I can't imagine any circumstance in modern football where that would happen. 

Perhaps the tribal rivalry wasn't as intense back then?

Christ!

If any of my family had done this no matter what generation, they would have been disowned and ridiculed forever!

• Flames 1

Before my time, but my parents and grandparents often told me how they watched city one week and the gas the next. Apparently lots of people did it. 

Joking aside, were my family unique or was that more common place when football was the equivalent of £2 a ticket?

My dad and his brothers did it in the late 1940’s early 50’s until one day when city were away my grandad was ready to take his boys to eastville , when my dad said to him . I don’t want to go to rovers anymore , city’s my team ?

How lucky was I . If he’d gone the other way , I’d be a bitter sand twisted sag now  

My first City game was at Eastville when our Cubs leader (a gashead, though the term hadn't been invented then, let alone adopted by the masochistic oddbods) took us along to a Glos. Cup Final. Looking back undoubtedly with the sinister aim of indoctrinating us all to become Rovers' supporters. Fortunately I took an immediate dislike to the look of Rovers' vile shirts and their even more putrid club song, City won handsomely, and I departed Eastville that night as a new City supporter - much to the chagrin of the failed gas brainwasher.

Went to Eastville a few times to watch games in the early 70's - Man.Utd, Watney Cup Final, Southampton and Ipswich in the Cup - but certainly not to support Rovers!

Also v. West Ham when a City away game was called off last minute and we were already assembled to go.

Never wished them anything but a crushing defeat, then and since.

Have to say I wouldn't dream of going anywhere near their current pit now unless City were about to give them a well deserved thrashing.

Edited by Nogbad the Bad
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

My first City game was at Eastville when our scout master (a gashead, though the term hadn't been invented then, let alone adopted by the masochistic oddbods) took us along to a Glos. Cup Final. Looking back undoubtedly with the sinister aim of indoctrinating us all to become Rovers' supporters. Fortunately I took an immediate dislike to the look of Rovers' vile shirts and their even more putrid club song, City won handsomely, and I departed Eastville that night as a new City supporter - much to the chagrin of the failed gas brainwasher.

Went to Eastville a few times to watch games in the early 70's - Man.Utd, Watney Cup Final, Southampton and Ipswich in the Cup - but certainly not to support Rovers!

Also v. West Ham when a City away game was called off last minute and we were already assembled to go.

Never wished them anything but a crushing defeat, then and since.

Have to say I wouldn't dream of going anywhere near their current pit now unless City were about to give them a well deserved thrashing.

After that lot sold Gary mabbutt to spurs , they arranged a friendly with the fewers as part of the deal . The junior football club I played for (Somerdale wanderers) we’re given free tickets , thankfully In the muller rd end. Me & a mate noticed the gate was unlocked and walked across the dog track, sat right behind the net and started chatting to Ray Clemence ?

Edited by steviestevieneville

As others have said, it was commonplace before (impossible to believe now, yes !)

My late father always took an interest in the 15ers results.

We would watch that crappy teleprinter thing on BBC1 where the results would come in. Always looking for the City result first of course.

"City won !" he would shout. This would then be followed by a "Oh, the Rovers won as well !". That outcome always made him happiest.

"But Dad," I would reply, "We want the Rovers to lose !"

(I never did tell him about the goings on at my primary school where we reds were in the minority, and why I despised the sags).

• Haha 1

For a very brief time I myself watched City and Rovers alternately. When I was a young lad in the mid-70s my mate's old man, who just liked to watch football and was not at all partisan, started taking us to whichever Bristol side was at home each Saturday.

For me at the time this was quite an eye-opener. Even then The Gap was huge and obvious. Everything about City was far superior, the quality of the football, the stadium, the size of the crowds, the atmosphere.

Fair to say my colours were nailed to the mast almost immediately, and within a few weeks I started becoming strangely 'unavailable' when Rovers were at home. Correct decision made; a life of derision and inferiority averted :city: 

• Like 3

I can recall back in the mid 80s and a girl I was going out with at the time had the unfortunate disposition that her dad was a staunch gas head, her sister was married to a Walsall fan and they were playing at Eastville in a league game and invited me down with them knowing I was city through and through

Having stood in the run down inclosure listening to them moan and berate their players and watching what was a dire game end up 0-0 I said at the end to my girlfriends dad. That was s**t and why I am red through & through 

About 2 months later I dumped her and put it down as a bullet dodged ?

16 hours ago, Matthew me said:

Same for me, my Dad used to do the same in the 50s and 60s, but luckily for me my Mums Dad steered me towards City :laugh:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Matthew me said:

My word.... £2.50!

It's amazing how prices have increased about inflation. 

Arsenal being £90. A pound a minute for a game of football 

we used to pay 50 p to watch from the school boys enclosure to watch top flight football

Edited by Jim Davey
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I can remember paying £2.50 to stand on the East End in 1990ish.

Open end was £3.00 for some reason?

If I remember the atmosphere inside football grounds at that time correctly, I imagine there weren’t too many people visiting Ashton Gate one week and then going to Trumpton the following week unless your name is Roger Malone.

I believe it used to be a reasonably common occurrence in the 50’s and 60’s. Then we got promoted to the top flight in the 70s and the ‘Gas’ who would watch us one week and their own shower the next suddenly forgot where Eastville was.

£5 in the dolman stand 1989 went up to a tenner when we got promoted 

5 hours ago, supercidered said:

Christ!

If any of my family had done this no matter what generation, they would have been disowned and ridiculed forever!

ha ha yep  I think if i tried taking my nephews anywhere near that shower of sh **ite they would probably and quite rightly disown me.

Just now, Taz said:

I do hope they aren't going to sack Mr Garner during this unprecedented global pandemic. Would be a horrible thing to do.

He's also doing a cracking job.

I can`t imagine they would. He`s doing everything the vast majority of Bristolians have asked of him and definitely taking the club in the right direction.

• Haha 1