IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

11 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Yep - founded in 1872.

Clearly the oldest football club in Bristol.

St George may have been the oldest club but I'd argue since they moved to Almondsbury it's something of a push to describe them being 'in Bristol'.

Doubtless The Gas will continue to describe themselves as being a 'Bristol club' should they ever scrape together enough coppers to grass over a patch of derelict landfill on the industrial banks of The Severn.

9 hours ago, CiderJar said:

We have been in the league longer and are therefore the oldest league club. The Black Arabs was just a boy band back in the day.

An education for the saggy ones....

Bedminster FC were formed in 1887. Bristol South End were formed in 1894 and became Bristol City in 1897. They merged with Bedminster FC in April 1900 and joined the league in 1901 beating Blackpool 2-0 at Bloomfield Road in their first game. The club's highest-ever league finish was second in the top flight in 1906-07. They were FA Cup runners-up in 1909, and won the Welsh Cup in 1934. The club have also won the second tier title once, the third tier title four times, the Anglo-Scottish cup once, and the Football League Trophy a record three times.

The Black Arabs were founded in 1883 and entered the Bristol & District league as Eastville Rovers in 1892. The club moved into the Birmingham & District league in 1897 and then switched to the Southern League as Bristol Rovers in 1899. They were not admitted into the football league until 1920. They were placed in the Third Division South and remained there until 1952–53. They recorded their highest finishing positions in 1956 and 1959, a sixth-place finish in the second division. They had to apply for reelection to the football league twice before finally being relegated from it in 2015 having finished 23rd the season before, a year before it became a relegation place.

The best bits of that are not the first half of each - with all the dates and leagues - but the second half, listing the achievements during that time.

On 10/10/2020 at 05:11, Ska Junkie said:

sorry to anyone who has suffered from a stroke, you have my best wishes and sympathy but this is meant in humour.

121099913_2782619125339658_4452096942553665787_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=8RJrJ47maHwAX_TpDkI&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=3d215ea934d38c283268b16d9fd53504&oe=5FA91C68

As a person who has had 2 strokes, I see nothing wrong with this, just humour. In fact this is how my wife knows that I've been drinking too much because my right eyelid and cheek droop,  I don't notice it though :laugh:, no hiding the fact I'm getting bladdered from her now :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, GreedyHarry said:

Shouldn’t it have the Whatno Cup win listed for them? Just so we don’t get accused of inaccuracy.

Yes it should. I was danger of boring myself back to sleep. I could also have said about the fact that two English sides contested the 1934 Welsh Cup Final, ourselves and Tranmere.

1920 to 1952 though? Their formative years and all of them in the basement. What a side. What a bunch of Arabs.

Edited by CiderJar
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

I think we're talking at cross purposes. 

Of the Bristol clubs in league football, they are the oldest.

We joined the football league the earliest. 

As the older club of the two, Rovers are the oldest league club in Bristol. But they have been a league club the least amount of time

Sorry for late response, been busy.

Just to be pedantic James, you referred to them and stated "They are the oldest league club", surely you can't be classed as a league club until you actually become a member of that league. As they became a member nearly twenty years after us, that makes us the oldest "league club". Which is different from your later explanation of them being the oldest club in Bristol playing league football, especially as the oldest club thing is disputable.

I know what you're saying but, they've always claimed to be the "oldest league club" first and foremost, not the oldest club playing league football. There was a point in the dark days of 1982 when their head man Gordon Bennet described them as "Bristol's Premier club", when they were momentarily in the division above us, their delusion goes back a long way.

Of course, they could legitimately be called "Bristol's newest league club".

Edited by Rich
addition
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

They are the oldest league club.

They've just been in the league for a shorter time.

Thats not what you said earlier.

You were wrong.

Why not just say so, instead of trying to justify what you incorrectly stated ?

Over and out.

So are we saying that they are oldest shittest club in "Bristol" or just the shittest club in "Bristol"?

I use the term "Bristol" in its broad sense as for many years they didn't own jack, rented at Bath, looked to move to South Gloucestershire or anywhere who would have them before fingering the rugby club.

10 minutes ago, Swede said:

So are we saying that they are oldest shittest club in "Bristol" or just the shittest club in "Bristol"?

I use the term "Bristol" in its broad sense as for many years they didn't own jack, rented at Bath, looked to move to South Gloucestershire or anywhere who would have them before fingering the rugby club.

They might be the oldest, or might not be, they are not the oldest league club but there is no doubt, they are the shittiest league club to have ever used the title of Bristol in their name. Whether they were in Bristol at a rented ground, in Bath at a rented ground, or in a rugby ground which now resembles their first home at Eastville with it's conglomeration of disjointed structures, they are still a shitty club.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

That rare occasion when the words Wael and truth appear in the same sentence.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/wael-al-qadi-bristol-rovers-4256317

That's a very long article that, which includes a lot of brown nosing of Wally and provides sod all new information. Typical Post article really!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, fatchers said:

The Post showing its bias again. The blue third of Bristol will be creaming themselves over that.

The article was written on 23 June 2020 by James Piercy, the Post’s sports editor and claims to have received 189K ‘likes’, unless I’m reading it incorrectly. It seems that delusion is not confined to the 15ers. 

The article states “It’s impossible to pinpoint exactly when a deal will be "done" in the formal business sense but a more realistic timeline would appear August, at the earliest.” thus I think that it’s merely a reprint of an earlier article which contained a complete load of bollocks that has never come to pass. 

• Like 1