IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

Despite all the jokes I think this is a good appointment. Thought his interview with GT tonight was quite refreshing 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I know we ought to be taking the piss on this thread, but I actually think that ‘could’ be a very good appointment. 

People look at Tisdale’s record but don’t look at the limitations under which he was working. 
At Exeter, there was a specific requirement to keep the club sustainable through the sale of their best young players. It’s a brave manager who plays 16 and 17 year olds, regularly, in the knowledge that by exposing them to first team experience, as well as ‘shop-windowing’ them, is in the best interests of the club versus ‘getting a result’. 

Playing the likes of Grimes, Watkins, Ampadu etc over the years, and having little budget to buy players of relevant experience and quality to complement them, was a tricky balance, but one which was necessary for the club to survive. 
People will argue that the academy at Exeter was all Perryman’s work, but you have to have a 1st team manager who buys into it and gives the players the exposure. Sticking 16 year old into your team, no matter how talented they are, is always going to mean a mixed set of results. 

So, there’s 2 things that the blue few need to get into their skulls re Tis. 
1) He’s not a shouter, a ranter and raver, and he won’t give them any ‘anti-city’ sound bites and sing ‘Irene’ down Glos Road. He doesn’t necessarily fit the personality that the gas fans seem to take to their hearts. If they can handle a non-partisan thinker, then they’ll reap the rewards. 
2) He will have a long term plan. He’s not a short term manager. This means he may not get instant results but he’ll be doing what he thinks is right for the future sustainability of the club. He’ll give youth players a chance, knowing they can potentially be an ‘asset’ for the club. He’ll want the right culture, etc. 
It’s actually a bit of a SOD comparison when he was here. There’s lots of important stuff being done behind the scenes to get the club in a good position for the future, but there’s little budget and results might not be great initially. 
If the fewers give Tis time, I think he’ll do well. 

Problem is, on both counts above, it’s not the Rovers fans ‘dna’ to be patient, particularly with a bloke who won’t get involved in their partisan ‘we’re the best supporters in the world and **** city’ attitude. 

I agree all joking aside this is a good appointment for the gas. Listening to his interview with Geoff Twentyman he sounds quite measured both in respect of the back room staff and the players. Think he will do well, if he gets given the time. 

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Large

This image looks like it’s from a Southern Prem club. 

“The new gaffer is relishing the new challenge and can’t wait to get started against Taunton Town on Saturday. The chairman has kindly hired a minibus for the squad as it’s one of the longest trips in the league”

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

If somebody said to me who was rovers most entertaining player to watch, say over the last twenty years, i cant think of 1.

Well I have to say I was highly entertained by their performance against Mansfield when they dropped out of the league. Mansfield wearing Rovers' kit no less ?

• Haha 1

Credit where it’s due, a sensible and realistic appointment by Wael. I’m still astonished that people think Paul Cook would have entertained the thought of going there for more than a quarter of a second.

As said by others above will the faithful, few and true ultimately accept a manager who is unlikely to indulge their special club mentality and obsession with “they gurt teds” over the river?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Credit where it’s due, a sensible and realistic appointment by Wael. I’m still astonished that people think Paul Cook would have entertained the thought of going there for more than a quarter of a second.

As said by others above will the faithful, few and true ultimately accept a manager who is unlikely to indulge their special club mentality and obsession with “they gurt teds” over the river?

Welcome agent Tisdale . You know what to do.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Yes, the nobel prize.

Again if somebody can point out anytime since the 1980s bristol rovers have came to ashton gate with a exciting brand of football, id be amazed.

Or like i said even a midfielder who can pass?

Actually I can think of Smash and Grab from the 70's. Very entertaining (well the haircuts were) They reminded me of Cannon and Ball only without the laughter.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

56.jpg

He would never have gone there......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

The funniest thing of the lot, his own website has this picture on it ???

https://www.paultisdale.co.uk/view/full-bio

Paul Tisdale - Full Bio

I don’t think I appreciated at the time what a nice kit this was (I’m sure many will disagree).

To stay on topic I think it was around this time that the Sags were making everyone wet themselves laughing with their Tesco carrier bag shirt. Even by 90’s standards that effort was unbelievably shit.

To be fair to Wael, he does seem a genuine fan and, judging by his latest letter, appears to have a sense of humour....

Prior to Paul’s appointment we were delighted that Tommy (100%) Widdrington agreed to take caretaker charge of the team. It was felt at the time that Tommy’s knowledge of the squad and experience was perfectly suited to take the reins until the right candidate was appointed. He leaves the management hot seat after the win over Chelsea (for which he has been fined!) and remains an integral part of the club. Tommy will assist Paul in his initial transition into the role and continue to oversee the football department at the club.