IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

I started watching City in late 1981 after of course came the collapse of 82. I can still remember those squatters wishing we'd go bust and sell them our ground which had previously graced Liverpool, Man utd, Arsenal and Gillingham!

For a 8-9 year old it was horrible living in Winterbourne and then Frampton Cotterill back then. The fight back for me was when Martyn Hirst scored the winner at Eastville.

They say the game is about ifs and buts. Believe me if Bob Taylor wouldn't of done his hamstring he'd of got 40 odd goals and they wouldn't still be basking as champions 30 years on. We move on to today and I don't even know their players names and haven't regarded them as rivals for 20 years. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 2

11 hours ago, GrahamC said:

100%.

That was after years of being kicked off the pitch by them, enduring “will you ever beat the gas” & putting up with their third world facilities.

**** them, they tried to steal Ashton Gate from us in82, & they were the only sporting organisation in the area that wouldn’t support the city having a venue if we got the World Cup.

Not only do I never want them to play us again, I hope they fold.

Parasites.

Absolutely fantastic post. Youngsters take note of the bit in bold. Think how you would feel if they tried to do that now. They really did try to take it from us. Scumbags. Always. 

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

6 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Oh what a night. Probably my favourite Bristol derby moment since watching City since early 80s. The tension the hatred the winning goal. Goosebumps 

Nearly broke my leg celebrating in the park end. Even after that night they all went mad complaining about how Superbob had given them the coffee handshake after the goal. Nothing ever changes with that lot. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, edada said:

Nearly broke my leg celebrating in the park end. Even after that night they all went mad complaining about how Superbob had given them the coffee handshake after the goal. Nothing ever changes with that lot. 

I may have just really wanted this to be true but were`nt they actually singing `will you ever beat the gas` when Louie scored?

5 minutes ago, edada said:

cant see on that clip if he did ,but id like to think he did ,******* wamkers

9 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

One of the reasons I cringe when some ******* roaster shows up on here saying “ermagerd y is there a thread about the gas do u think stoke have one about vale?”

Anyone who remembers the Gas when we used to play them every season will remember how grotesque their fans are. They’re bad enough now when their funny little club is a complete basket case. I can’t even image what they would be like if we got relegated from the Football League by a club wearing our kit ?

I intend to fully enjoy this situation until they do something to change it.

I watched my first two Bristol derbies in the FA Cup in 1968 so I expect I’m many years a supporter before you.

For what it’s worth i loath them as much as the next man but equally the chance to glory in their total crapness is something I would miss, so I don’t want them to disappear as their current predicament is like an eternity in hell for them, and long may it continue.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TomF said:

Teenagers today won't know that feeling of walking into school after dicking them 4-2 at Twerton at the weekend. The most enjoyable of Monday mornings. 

The ultimate for me would have been the morning after Donowa. 1991. Last year at school and we hadn't beaten them in nearly 5 years...coinciding with my secondary school years.....in terms of derbies it was a terrible period to be a City Fan.....strange to think they held the whip hand for that long

19 minutes ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

The ultimate for me would have been the morning after Donowa. 1991. Last year at school and we hadn't beaten them in nearly 5 years...coinciding with my secondary school years.....in terms of derbies it was a terrible period to be a City Fan.....strange to think they held the whip hand for that long

I was at secondary school in then fairly solid blue Hanham (thankfully no longer the case) from 86-91 and it was hellish. The Gary Smart winner was a particular low point. We battered them and then he hits a wonder goal out of nothing. It really was a painful period and even promotion to the second tier came after being thrashed at Trumpton and second to them. I never moan nowadays, after going through that spell and the 4th division years, to be second tier and light years ahead of the gas for over 20 years is pure heaven to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

7 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Oh what a night. Probably my favourite Bristol derby moment since watching City since early 80s. The tension the hatred the winning goal. Goosebumps 

What a night !

Heart pumping when Devon Shite went through on goal (their version of Bas Savage)

Heart in mouth when Hollowank stepped up for the pen, and missed ! ??

Complete and utter bedlam when Louie scored !!! ??

• Like 4
  • Robin 2

On a different note, I listened to some of Radio Bristol's Gas programme on the way home from work, priceless comedy. The Director of football was claiming that 4 left backs and no strikers is not poor recruitment. He went on to point out that two of the left backs can actually play left wing back! He also criticised Tisdale for saying the squad was unbalanced. That seems like a marriage made in heaven..not.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

What a night !

Heart pumping when Devon Shite went through on goal (their version of Bas Savage)

Heart in mouth when Hollowank stepped up for the pen, and missed ! ??

Complete and utter bedlam when Louie scored !!! ??

ha ha yeh i forgot that ***** missed the pen

47 minutes ago, Cardy said:

Oh Louie, Louie - Louie, Louie, Louie, Louie Donowa.

I remember that goal like yesterday.

Regular readers of this forum may have noticed I have a frequent tendency to go off at a tangent: this post is no different ?....

We all know the tune to the Louie, Louie song you mention - we sang it recently for Tammy, Tammy Abraham; a few years ago for Winky, Winky Wanderers and even, for those cricket fans amongst us, for Linky, Linky Lancashire - but, without looking it up, can anybody remember the title of the original song?

I actually bought the original record - a 45rpm disc - but does anybody know/recall the song title and the name of the group?

No doubt our more senior fellow forum members such as @slartibartfast etc. will know, but I wonder whether the younger ones know - or even care ?.   

If anybody feels inclined to respond positively, please do so but try and refrain for the moment from revealing the answer, but I am intrigued. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Regular readers of this forum may have noticed I have a frequent tendency to go off at a tangent: this post is no different ?....

We all know the tune to the Louie, Louie song you mention - we sang it recently for Tammy, Tammy Abraham; a few years ago for Winky, Winky Wanderers and even, for those cricket fans amongst us, for Linky, Linky Lancashire - but, without looking it up, can anybody remember the title of the original song?

I actually bought the original record - a 45rpm disc - but does anybody know/recall the song title and the name of the group?

No doubt our more senior fellow forum members such as @slartibartfast etc. will know, but I wonder whether the younger ones know - or even care ?.   

If anybody feels inclined to respond positively, please do so but try and refrain for the moment from revealing the answer, but I am intrigued. 

Son of my Father 

Chicory Tip 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Chicory Tip 

Son of my Father

Or have I got the tune completely wrong?

1 hour ago, BanburyRed said:

One of my fave away days, rolled up pissed out of a taxi (@Harry will testify!), on the fencing for each of the goals, lots of pisstaking in Bath afterwards, a top eve!

Ha ha. Yes mate, I remember that, you belter!! 
Sadly I wasn’t able to enjoy the evening in Bath afterwards. I got arrested when we were 3-1 up and carted off to the station. 
When released at about 8pm, I got the Badgerline bus back to Longwell. I was singing “we beat the Rovers 3-1” all the way home on the bus and was getting some funny looks. Twas only when I got off the bus and met some mates in the Crown at Longwell that they told me we’d won 4-2!! ??

I’m sure it was the same night that we ended up at my mates at 4am watching the Bruno-Tyson fight. 
I must’ve been absolutely wrecked that night!!! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Son of my Father 

Chicory Tip 

7 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Chicory Tip 

Son of my Father

Correct.

I only posted, as I recall asking the same question of some of my young nephews/nieces a few years ago, none of whom were able to identify the song or, perhaps more understandably, the group. 

18 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Correct.

I only posted, as I recall asking the same question of some of my young nephews/nieces a few years ago, none of whom were able to identify the song or, perhaps more understandably, the group. 

It was first sung I recall about Frank Worthington back in the day.. Leicester fans singing Frankie Frankie Worthington and the East End drowning it out with wanky wanky Worthington

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Correct.

Their name sounds like the sort ailment one might pick up after cavorting with ladies of ill-repute although I believe it was something to do with Camp Coffee (possible sponsors for the gas - if it even still exists?)

58 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Correct.

I'm ashamed to say that was the first single that I ever bought!

Sorry, nothing to do with the thread!

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

Chicory Tip 

Son of my Father

Hate to be a pedant but 'Disco' Slarti wouldn't allow me to bypass this.

Whilst Chicory Tip had the hit that was a cover, it was written and first recorded by Giorgio Moroder.

Everybody knows the chorus but the lyrics are something else .

• Haha 1