IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

As I posted previously without a doubt my favourite game in my football life. That Martyn Hirst goal and the mass outpouring of human joyous emotion that followed on that packed terrace was unforgettable. I was hugging and being hugged by complete strangers. Brilliant. I was at the 68 cup game Slarti but I was only 9 then so can't remember much. Was that the game where the goalposts were painted red?

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

Brilliant day after our huge slump. Met at the Bell and everyone had tote end tickets but none of us got in.  You couldn’t get in the Bell for lads. Like others have said it felt like we formally had announced our come back.  Will always be grateful to Terry Cooper as if ever there was a legend then it was him as so humble. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, Red Shadow said:

As I posted previously without a doubt my favourite game in my football life. That Martyn Hirst goal and the mass outpouring of human joyous emotion that followed on that packed terrace was unforgettable. I was hugging and being hugged by complete strangers. Brilliant. I was at the 68 cup game Slarti but I was only 9 then so can't remember much. Was that the game where the goalposts were painted red?

I guess so, I was 16, night match replay after a boring 0-0 at AG. Crowe and Galley (who else) scored for us Stuart Taylor for them. But the main thing I remember is how we totaly obliterated the Tote !:boxing:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Warwickshire Red said:

Apart from Anglo Scottish cup game v Patrick Thistle in Glasgow in the late 70s, this was my first game I saw after moving back to Bristol.

Remember was in the Rovers enclosure with my City scarf on and being asked “ are you drunk or something?” ?

Brilliant day!

As a rabid Jag - check yer autocorrect! “Patrick Thistle”???!! ????

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I guess so, I was 16, night match replay after a boring 0-0 at AG. Crowe and Galley (who else) scored for us Stuart Taylor for them. But the main thing I remember is how we totaly obliterated the Tote !:boxing:

As a ‘yoof’ I find it interesting that all this shenanigans of taking teams home ends and being segregated started in the 60s. But only a few years before fans would mix and back then it was more of family outing, depending who was at home on that Saturday.

The culture seemed to change quickly in a short space of time. What happened?

Talking about "yoof" whilst our U18 lads gained a hard fought away win at the City Ground in the 1st Round proper of the FA Youth Cup it was very unfortunate for the Gas Yoof that they had a much tougher assignment finally succumbing 3-2..............................................at Home to Camberley Town (they needed Extra Time to beat Weston Super Mare in the previous round but clearly found the swamp more to their liking) who are now one more win away from playing Liverpool!!

I still remember some two bob coach up there who put himself in lights and boasted in the media that Rovers had the best players in every age group in Bristol only a few years back, this lot who lost to Camberley would have been one of the younger age groups at the time and, as standard, the buck toothed gappers lapped it up and told us they were coming for us and overtaking us and everything else they have been telling us for over 20 years now.................whereas we kept our mouths shut, played then sold Lloyd Kelly for £13m (that's probably 3-4 times the combined value of every single senior and youth player at their club right now maybe more?) and have the likes of Zak Vyner becoming an established Championship footballer and Opi Edwards, Ryley Towler and Sam Bell on our bench with many more out on loan at other football league clubs or sold to other football league clubs.

10 hours ago, Lew-T said:

As a ‘yoof’ I find it interesting that all this shenanigans of taking teams home ends and being segregated started in the 60s. But only a few years before fans would mix and back then it was more of family outing, depending who was at home on that Saturday.

It’s not quite that straightforward. There were massive battles between football fans over a hundred years ago. Millwall v West Ham for example was a big rivalry between dockers north and south of the Thames. It started pre 1900, but it’s a small part of history that tends to be forgotten now. I think the ruling classes and newspapers took working class violence more for granted then. However, it’s probably true that it was more civilised between the end of WW1 and the 1960s. Perhaps the experience of real wars took the edge off the male adolescent tendency to gang warfare.

I wonder if there are any books out there about football violence from 1880 onwards?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

No luck involved - we were done by that cheating bastard Rachid Harkouk assisted by an inept referee in Mr Norman Glover.

It still makes me angry all these years afterwards.

Yeah...I remember that arse of a ref (and Harkouk). Talk about biased towards the Div 1 side.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

December 10th 1983 - apologies, I post this most years on this date - it was a very emotional day in our history - we were finally on our way back from oblivion ... under dear old Terry Cooper ... 1-0 down, 2-1 up we knocked Roverzzz...”

I bet Hurst still never has to buy a drink down our way. Apparently he was literally dead on his feet when he scored.

• Flames 1

11 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Mmmmm, I'm not sure it wasn't always there. My Grandad (RIP) recalled times when colleagues nearly came to blows at work over football - working with Cidereds and Sagheads was no different even back in the '40s (he was from Cardiff, BTW!)

As others have said, I think trouble existed, but it wasn't as organised or as widely publicised. The 1970s was when it all really kicked off. 

My personal recollection is of games in the '80s, Millwall at home in c.'85??? We lost 1-0 and it literally turned into a riot, police dogs, horses, the lot, fans in the Dolman ripping up seats and throwing them at the Millwall fans. I was in the old enclosure and utterly terrified (I was 15). City had a pretty poor reputation back then, probably deservedly so. Our record on racism towards players was nothing to be proud of, either.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

How the **** didnt we get a penalty when tom ritchie was blatantly fouled in the box ill never know.... I was there

Absolutely. And combine that with ******* Harkouk going down like he`d been shot two yards outside the box and getting one..................................

Big club bias - it`s easy to forget we were in the 4th and they were in the 1st, hard to believe now!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

No luck involved - we were done by that cheating bastard Rachid Harkouk assisted by an inept referee in Mr Norman Glover.

It still makes me angry all these years afterwards.

Spot on.

Evil day all round, ref was as biased as I have ever seen, Nottinghamshire police in the miners strike era were total bastards and we were cheated.

As others have said we had a massive away following, in those days Notts County were top flight & we were in Division 4, bit of a reversal of fortune these days.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, TomF said:

What happened to Hirst - can’t seem to find much info 

Pretty sure he was subsequently interviewed by The Bountyhunter @Merrick's Marvels @Moments of Pleasure and after a spell in non league football he then worked as a travel agent, I think?

Definitely never played league football for anyone else, though may have had a loan spell somewhere (Crewe?) whilst still with us?

• Flames 1

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

This seems to have completely passed me by, but just noticed they were in the first round of the FA Youth Cup in midweek (the competition that we won at Nottingham Forest in), the result was;

Bristol Rovers 2 Camberley Town 3.

******* tinpot.

Is that the same Camberley Town whose senior team play in the three counties league, which i believe is tier 9?   That Camberley Town?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

This seems to have completely passed me by, but just noticed they were in the first round of the FA Youth Cup in midweek (the competition that we won at Nottingham Forest in), the result was;

Bristol Rovers 2 Camberley Town 3.

******* tinpot.

2 minutes ago, Malago said:

Is that the same Camberley Town whose senior team play in the three counties league, which i believe is tier 9?   That Camberley Town?

It is and i believe the winners play Woking next with a tie against little Liverpool fc to follow that.