IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

16 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Away changing rooms looking nice...

5CA4D9C2-C620-4767-AC46-A9ED2E102A6F.jpeg

What the hell is that ?attempt to replicate the Tote at Eastville?

Talk about living in the past, they just need some 35 year old Hofmeister on draught to go with the fake Fanta they already do to make this complete.

Its a real shame that Thatchers have their brand associated with such a tinpot club.

11 minutes ago, Psycho Glenn said:

What the hell is that ?attempt to replicate the Tote at Eastville?

Talk about living in the past, they just need some 35 year old Hofmeister on draught to go with the fake Fanta they already do to make this complete.

Its a real shame that Thatchers have their brand associated with such a tinpot club.

I'm going off at a complete tangent here, but does anybody remember the old Hofbrauhaus in Bristol back in the 1970s?

The rumour was that, rather than being imported in barrels from Germany, their beer was made by adding sparkling water to a powder/starter to make the 'infamous' beer.

Is there any truth to this or is it simply one of many apocryphallies from my youth? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I'm going off at a complete tangent here, but does anybody remember the old Hofbrauhaus in Bristol back in the 1970s?

The rumour was that, rather than being imported in barrels from Germany, their beer was made by adding sparkling water to a powder/starter to make the 'infamous' beer.

Is there any truth to this or is it simply one of many apocryphallies from my youth? 

Er..........probably, my mate was manager there in the 80's, a canny Glaswegian !

I used to pop down there Friday lunch times (for their scrummy bangers and mash,I never once looked at a stripper)             There was a 5p cover charge at the door, to keep out the riff-raff !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I remember the Hofbrauhaus. I also remember coming out of it after a pretty heavy night on the foaming beer, hitting the fresh night air, and falling over! I didn't go there anymore.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I remember the Hofbrauhaus. I also remember coming out of it after a pretty heavy night on the foaming beer, hitting the fresh night air, and falling over! I didn't go there anymore.

Was in there one saturday night when a rousing chourus of bread of heaven rang out to be met by a volly of steins in the direction of the large welsh contingent a mass brawl ensued splling out on to the street  after that it was onto vickys strip club fatastic times to be a teenager

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

Was in there one saturday night when a rousing chourus of bread of heaven rang out to be met by a volly of steins in the direction of the large welsh contingent a mass brawl ensued splling out on to the street  after that it was onto vickys strip club fatastic times to be a teenager

Vickys - The one on the way to Clifton (Off Whiteladies Rd) ?

If so, always remember the old bouncer geezer looking out through the porthole in the door before they let you in!

Mod / Scooter Boy Friday night special,last stop with the Clifton Redland lot after a pub crawl in the mid eighties

One of the strippers took me home after the club closed one Friday. For free!  Happy days!

Ah memories of youth!

Remember the Rasta reggae club on Park Lane? You were stoned in 5 minutes of going in!

19 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

If so, always remember the old bouncer geezer looking out through the porthole in the door before they let you in!

Mod / Scooter Boy Friday night special,last stop with the Clifton Redland lot after a pub crawl in the mid eighties

One of the strippers took me home after the club closed one Friday. For free!  Happy days!

Ah memories of youth!

Remember the Rasta reggae club on Park Lane? You were stoned in 5 minutes of going in!

It was halfway up park street on the right hand side down steps to a dimly lit dingy smoke filled basement lovely or if you wanted something a bit more upmarket there was the princess theatre club at the top of park street on the right your reggae club sounds like the mandrake?? Great time thou mate for sure

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

It was halfway up park street on the right hand side down steps to a dimly lit dingy smoke filled basement lovely or if you wanted something a bit more upmarket there was the princess theatre club at the top of park street on the right your reggae club sounds like the mandrake?? Great time thou mate for sure

Mandrake was on Frogmore street. I managed to get a membership as I knew someone. Always queues to get in if you weren't a member back in the 70's. Great little club.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Ah memories of youth!

Do you mean the Dugout on Park Row?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Roger Red Hat said:

Mandrake was on Frogmore street. I managed to get a membership as I knew someone. Always queues to get in if you weren't a member back in the 70's. Great little club.

Thats right rog knock the door and our mate would look out through the peephole if he didnt like the look of you it was a no but if you were lucky enough to get in it was packed and the stench of weed was overpowering ????

3 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Got my membership to the Mandrake from Richard Potts, who ran the place and you’re right a popular place!

2 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Definitely a cut above anything else in Bristol at that time.

I have to say rog our lots ideal of a good night out was a few pints in cannons then over to the sedan chair topless barmaids in stockings and suspenders vickys strip joint and the mandrake to finish god job we were bolloxed before we got vickys ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

Do you mean the Dugout on Park Row?

Proper club! Back then a night out in Bristol was raw, special and superb - the kids had a riot and enjoyed every minute - we didn’t wake up every day and think “what can I be offended about today?!” - unlike today’s millennial snowflake darlings, we just got on with it - we went at it hard, on a tide of ska, punk, reggae and mod music - we didn’t care about anything, we just went for it - The Specials, The Beat, Madness, The Selecter, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, Bob Marley, The Jam, The Who and The Kinks provided a spectacular backdrop to our teenage angst - we identified with everything they had to say because they realised who we were and they just ‘got’ us - we suddenly belonged and we enjoyed ourselves ... I miss those frenetic nights so bl**dy much - the 70s and the 80s shaped so many people on here - and those decades still make us who we are today ... great, special memories - cheers, and apologies for the rambling post ...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Ah memories of youth!

Vickys was up Park Street way. I think you may be thinking of the Globe Trotters.

Strippers and topless barmaids - had my 18th birthday in there...nuff said.

Used to go there, then round the corner to the Hawthornes on a thursday or friday night for grab a granny (grannies to us were anything over 30).

Happy days :yes:

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Proper club! Back then a night out in Bristol was raw, special and superb - the kids had a riot and enjoyed every minute - we didn’t wake up every day and think “what can I be offended about today?!” - unlike today’s millennial snowflake darlings, we just got on with it - we went at it hard, on a tide of ska, punk, reggae and mod music - we didn’t care about anything, we just went for it - The Specials, The Beat, Madness, The Selecter, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, Bob Marley, The Jam, The Who and The Kinks provided a spectacular backdrop to our teenage angst - we identified with everything they had to say because they realised who we were and they just ‘got’ us - we suddenly belonged and we enjoyed ourselves ... I miss those frenetic nights so bl**dy much - the 70s and the 80s shaped so many people on here - and those decades still make us who we are today ... great, special memories - cheers, and apologies for the rambling post ...

The 60's for me (well, the second half and first half of the 70's), never got into "ethnic" music, or punk. I was all growed up with a young family and fed up with hearing you kids saying my favorite bands were "dinosaurs" !

Speaking of "clubs", is anyone on hear old enough to remember  The Globetrotters (up Whiteladies ? THAT was a place, the strip joint I went in as a callow 16 year old youth !

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

The 60's for me (well, the second half and first half of the 70's), never got into "ethnic" music, or punk. I was all growed up with a young family and fed up with hearing you kids saying my favorite bands were "dinosaurs" !

Speaking of "clubs", is anyone on hear old enough to remember  The Globetrotters (up Whiteladies ? THAT was a place, the strip joint I went in as a callow 16 year old youth !

Posted about the Globetrotters at the same time :laugh:

• Haha 1