IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

15 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

The 60's for me (well, the second half and first half of the 70's), never got into "ethnic" music, or punk. I was all growed up with a young family and fed up with hearing you kids saying my favorite bands were "dinosaurs" !

Speaking of "clubs", is anyone on hear old enough to remember  The Globetrotters (up Whiteladies ? THAT was a place, the strip joint I went in as a callow 16 year old youth !

That's the one from my previous posts.

Bouncer would look through a porthole to let you in.

Real old skool - looked like a set from The Sweeney!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

The 60's for me (well, the second half and first half of the 70's), never got into "ethnic" music, or punk. I was all growed up with a young family and fed up with hearing you kids saying my favorite bands were "dinosaurs" !

Speaking of "clubs", is anyone on hear old enough to remember  The Globetrotters (up Whiteladies ? THAT was a place, the strip joint I went in as a callow 16 year old youth !

Popped  in once for a dry martine.

She moistened up after I gave her a tickle.

• Haha 3

• Admin
On 13/01/2021 at 18:50, slartibartfast said:

Er..........probably, my mate was manager there in the 80's, a canny Glaswegian !

I used to pop down there Friday lunch times (for their scrummy bangers and mash,I never once looked at a stripper)             There was a 5p cover charge at the door, to keep out the riff-raff !

Once a week me and my mate both used to knock off school and have the same routine.

Pint in a pub somewhere on the way, lunchtime session in Hofbrauhaus - biology field trip I guess you’d call it.  Then we’d stroll up to City road and wander round City Road Motorcycles, looking at the Vincent Black Shadow and whatever else he had in.  Then down City Road, where at the time it wasn’t unusual to see the wares on display from upstairs windows.  

Next stop Fowler’s to look at the bikes, wander back past the Black and White Cafe, where the Rasta’s sat out side in a fog of Ganga smoke would call us names many of which were unintelligible, one that sticks to mind was blood clot.  Finally back to Bedminster and into Dons motorcycles to drool over the brand new Triumph  Bonnevilles with their price tag of £999.

Must have been easily pleased, as that was Thursday afternoons every week for my 5th year at school.......

• Like 2

13 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

Got my membership to the Mandrake from Richard Potts, who ran the place and you’re right a popular place!

I used to go to the Mandrake and once a friend of mine had his wedding reception there. (I know this sounds crazy). I got rather inebriated and forgot it was a Saturday afternoon. When I left I thought it was 2.00 am and expected it to be dark. Instead I emerged into brilliant  sunshine and just couldn’t understand what had happened. 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Banjo Island said:

I have to say rog our lots ideal of a good night out was a few pints in cannons then over to the sedan chair topless barmaids in stockings and suspenders vickys strip joint and the mandrake to finish god job. ????

Went to Vicky's a few times - most memorably to finish off my stag night pub crawl.

Well, actually I don't remember that much about it!

Always an unusual woman taking money at the door iirc, she must have been in her '70's with long hair dyed black - always wondered if it was Vicky herself?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Once a week me and my mate both used to knock off school and have the same routine.

Pint in a pub somewhere on the way, lunchtime session in Hofbrauhaus - biology field trip I guess you’d call it.  Then we’d stroll up to City road and wander round City Road Motorcycles, looking at the Vincent Black Shadow and whatever else he had in.  Then down City Road, where at the time it wasn’t unusual to see the wares on display from upstairs windows.  

Next stop Fowler’s to look at the bikes, wander back past the Black and White Cafe, where the Rasta’s sat out side in a fog of Ganga smoke would call us names many of which were unintelligible, one that sticks to mind was blood clot.  Finally back to Bedminster and into Dons motorcycles to drool over the brand new Triunmoh Bonnevilles with their price tag of £999.

Must have been easily pleased, as that was Thursday afternoons every week for my 5th year at school.......

Remind me, where was the original Fowlers ? I can't get past Temple Meads ! I know I'll go "'course it was" when someone reminds me !

35 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Went to Vicky's a few times - most memorably to finish off my stag night pub crawl.

Well, actually I don't remember that much about it!

Always an unusual woman taking money at the door iirc, she must have been in her '70's with long hair dyed black - always wondered if it was Vicky herself?

She was the star turn most night noggers

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I'm going off at a complete tangent here, but does anybody remember the old Hofbrauhaus in Bristol back in the 1970s?

One of my first experiences of Bristol nightlife.

Met up with some schoolmates in Mad Harry's to go to the Hofbrauhaus one night - all underage, but we got in no problem.

Really enjoyed ourselves - in fact so much so we all ended up flat out on the pavement the moment we got outside!

Went to the lunchtime stripper session not long after - an eye opener indeed - and got (roughly) chucked out for 'overdoing things' again!

15 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Another great little club, commonly known as The Drug Out!

Always remember the bloke who took the money in the corridor - name escapes me but quite a character.

I never thought he liked me very much!!

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

One of my first experiences of Bristol nightlife.

Met up with some schoolmates in Mad Harry's to go to the Hofbrauhaus one night - all underage, but we got in no problem.

Really enjoyed ourselves - in fact so much so we all ended up flat out on the pavement the moment we got outside!

Went to the lunchtime stripper session not long after - an eye opener indeed - and got (roughly) chucked out for 'overdoing things' again!

We used to knock off school and spend the day down town mad harrys was first port of call geting the bus home just before r mu got back from work

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Remind me, where was the original Fowlers ? I can't get past Temple Meads ! I know I'll go "'course it was" when someone reminds me !

I remember  Fowlers Bikes up in Kingswood, in Moravian Road. Bought my AP50 from there! Pretty sure they then moved to Temple Meads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Old Rascal said:

I remember  Fowlers Bikes up in Kingswood, in Moravian Road. Bought my AP50 from there! Pretty sure they then moved to Temple Meads.

Not sure it was ever Fowlers. It was Averys for many years. I used to play rugby with Gerald the son. Fowlers could of bought it guess but i cant remember that.

40 minutes ago, Red Rag said:

Not sure it was ever Fowlers. It was Averys for many years. I used to play rugby with Gerald the son. Fowlers could of bought it guess but i cant remember that.

Cheers, could of sworn it was Fowlers when I bought the bike in the late 70's. Wonder if they were bought out or merged?  As I remember I had to go down Temple Meads to make the make the final payments. 

There was Scamps too, next to Hofbrauhaus, Friday nights venue and there was Lourdes? on Fairfax street, by the time you got to the top of the stairs you were level with Union Street.

A bouncer once pushed me down the steps, but I was so drunk, I rolled all the way down and landed on my feet and walked off to the next club. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I'm going off at a complete tangent here, but does anybody remember the old Hofbrauhaus in Bristol back in the 1970s?

The rumour was that, rather than being imported in barrels from Germany, their beer was made by adding sparkling water to a powder/starter to make the 'infamous' beer.

Is there any truth to this or is it simply one of many apocryphallies from my youth? 

Wow!

Sorry to quote myself, and many apologies, but I went off at a 'slight tangent' and, two pages later, we seem to have covered practically all the pubs and clubs of our debauched youth - which brings us back to the Rovers.