IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

Just to bring this back on topic, what about that shithouse of a club called "The Doghouse" in the North Stand at Eastville. I have a fleeting memory of actually going there for some obscure reason. Probably a better set of facilities than they currently have at the rugby ground though.

7 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Chaplins, that's the bugger.

Nice one fellas.

Owned and run by Martin and Sue....big City fans.,(Sue being famous for proving she was a Bristol 'City' fan at the Mansfield game at Wembley a year later).  After losing the away leg at Hereford in the Freight Rover semi final, Martin promised champagne to the City players if we got to the final in the home leg. True to his word, straight after the game, back to Chaplins to celebrate with the players arriving around midnight. Remember having a long chat with David Moyes who was comparing our rivalry with the gas, with  Celtic/Rangers saying it was just as intense and David Harle being absolutely rat arsed! Think I remember getting home around 4am. a great night.

• Like 1

This is bringing back some great old memories. Unfortunately, my memory now is not that great! 

I can think of a couple of late night venues that I used to frequent but can't remember their names, so any input is appreciated. 

First one was next to the Hippodrome, Denmark Street I think. Late drinks and ladies. 

Second one was Prince Street, right next to the old Post Office. 

Both were brilliant. 

12 minutes ago, freezer said:

This is bringing back some great old memories. Unfortunately, my memory now is not that great! 

I can think of a couple of late night venues that I used to frequent but can't remember their names, so any input is appreciated. 

First one was next to the Hippodrome, Denmark Street I think. Late drinks and ladies. 

Second one was Prince Street, right next to the old Post Office. 

Both were brilliant. 

It was Chaplins above and next to the Hippodrome...they moved there from Fairfax Street. As a matter of interest, the Fools and Horses scene with the blow up doll was filmed at the back entrance to the club!

• Thanks 1

On 13/01/2021 at 11:03, PHILINFRANCE said:

I'm going off at a complete tangent here, but does anybody remember the old Hofbrauhaus in Bristol back in the 1970s?

The rumour was that, rather than being imported in barrels from Germany, their beer was made by adding sparkling water to a powder/starter to make the 'infamous' beer.

Is there any truth to this or is it simply one of many apocryphallies from my youth? 

I remember that place, but I was always already drunk before I entered there, so have absolutely no idea if the beer any good or not :laugh:

7 hours ago, Rich said:

Just to bring this back on topic, what about that shithouse of a club called "The Doghouse" in the North Stand at Eastville. I have a fleeting memory of actually going there for some obscure reason. Probably a better set of facilities than they currently have at the rugby ground though.

Me and Mrs Jacko went in there one time - only because it was free entry chucked in with the admission price to the greyhound racing.  No lasting memories of it, mind.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

i had a fs1e two/four dx. very last of the pre restricted ones.. ohm 468r.  used to love going to fowlers by the bus station dreaming of an rd250, the ones before the water boilers came out

I had a beat up popsicle fizzie...KDD78P. Also a 350 Elsie...HMR 656W (still around, but sorned, apparently). Both great bikes.

• Like 1

It seems as though we have a bunch of ageing rockers on the forum judging by all the talk of wonderful motorbikes. Just for a bit of balance, I had a Vespa Sportique. A crazy design really as the engine wasn’t fitted on the centre line of the bike 

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

It seems as though we have a bunch of ageing rockers on the forum judging by all the talk of wonderful motorbikes. Just for a bit of balance, I had a Vespa Sportique. A crazy design really as the engine wasn’t fitted on the centre line of the bike 

That's why I've always chosen Lambrettas ?

• Like 2

Well this thread has gone to shit over the last couple of days..! 

I know it's good to recall days gone by, but I think it needs a different thread for it, instead of this tiresome not taking the piss out of Rovers..! 

It's like you are talking about a night out during the last season that they finished above us, in faint and distant adols of ancient history..! 

• Haha 1

Bristol Rovers are considering ways to help ensure the season is completed safely amid Covid-19, such as potentially scrapping the team bus for away games, says boss Paul Tisdale.

Football is under scrutiny from the government and Public Health England with coronavirus cases rising.

Clubs have also been issued guidance by three major professional bodies within the game around player behaviour.

"We've got to be so careful," Tisdale told BBC Points West.

"We're even talking about now, for away travel, not having a team coach and going independently.

"I'd love it if football can continue through to the end of the season, we've got to do everything we can to make that happen."

Rovers, who had to manage their own outbreak last month in suspending two games, have had extra hygiene protocols put in place by Tisdale.

The former Exeter City and MK Dons boss confesses to wearing gloves in the dressing rooms "for the past four or five years" to avoid the passing of germs, while players are also requested to fist-pump rather than shake hands.

One of the requests of the joint Premier League, English Football League and Football Association guidance for players is to consider the need for distancing around goal celebrations.

Those protocols also concern travel, time spent in the dressing rooms and warm-ups, as well as interactions with match officials and opponents after games.

"It's one of my pet hates, over-celebrating, so it's music to my ears," added Tisdale.

"It's a sensible thing to suggest but quite a difficult thing to apply and make happen, because by definition we're in the middle of a fight, a battle and competition and the enjoyment and excitement you get from scoring a goal is going to take some level discipline to avoid that.

"Celebrating in the dressing rooms is an obvious own goal, I don't think we need to be doing that."

•  

image.gif

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I had a Vespa 200 Electronic, bouht new from Mike Clarks in Fishponds , like shit off a shovel !

1 hour ago, bert tann said:

Bristol Rovers are considering ways to help ensure the season is completed safely amid Covid-19, such as potentially scrapping the team bus for away games, says boss Paul Tisdale.

Football is under scrutiny from the government and Public Health England with coronavirus cases rising.

Clubs have also been issued guidance by three major professional bodies within the game around player behaviour.

"We've got to be so careful," Tisdale told BBC Points West.

"We're even talking about now, for away travel, not having a team coach and going independently.

"I'd love it if football can continue through to the end of the season, we've got to do everything we can to make that happen."

Rovers, who had to manage their own outbreak last month in suspending two games, have had extra hygiene protocols put in place by Tisdale.

The former Exeter City and MK Dons boss confesses to wearing gloves in the dressing rooms "for the past four or five years" to avoid the passing of germs, while players are also requested to fist-pump rather than shake hands.

One of the requests of the joint Premier League, English Football League and Football Association guidance for players is to consider the need for distancing around goal celebrations.

Those protocols also concern travel, time spent in the dressing rooms and warm-ups, as well as interactions with match officials and opponents after games.

"It's one of my pet hates, over-celebrating, so it's music to my ears," added Tisdale.

"It's a sensible thing to suggest but quite a difficult thing to apply and make happen, because by definition we're in the middle of a fight, a battle and competition and the enjoyment and excitement you get from scoring a goal is going to take some level discipline to avoid that.

"Celebrating in the dressing rooms is an obvious own goal, I don't think we need to be doing that."

•  

image.gif

Someone should probably tell him to keep them on in the supporters lounge as well, what with all the boob cricket that gets shown during the games....

*shudder*

13 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Some of the blue few are creaming themselves because an extra two rows of bricks have been added to the dressing room wall at the Colony (renamed Quarters) training ground.

:grr:

Quarters you say? Probably because it will get Quarter way through development (is ambitious to be fair) before they run out of the family silver.

If that gets finished within the next 5 years I'll eat my (a) hat.

• Robin 1

30 minutes ago, Taz said:

Quarters you say? Probably because it will get Quarter way through development (is ambitious to be fair) before they run out of the family silver.

If that gets finished within the next 5 years I'll eat my (a) hat.

they might be doing a Petrocelli and laying a brick each after work

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 13/01/2021 at 23:03, BS4 on Tour... said:

Proper club! Back then a night out in Bristol was raw, special and superb - the kids had a riot and enjoyed every minute - we didn’t wake up every day and think “what can I be offended about today?!” - unlike today’s millennial snowflake darlings, we just got on with it - we went at it hard, on a tide of ska, punk, reggae and mod music - we didn’t care about anything, we just went for it - The Specials, The Beat, Madness, The Selecter, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, Bob Marley, The Jam, The Who and The Kinks provided a spectacular backdrop to our teenage angst - we identified with everything they had to say because they realised who we were and they just ‘got’ us - we suddenly belonged and we enjoyed ourselves ... I miss those frenetic nights so bl**dy much - the 70s and the 80s shaped so many people on here - and those decades still make us who we are today ... great, special memories - cheers, and apologies for the rambling post ...

Well, @EmissionImpossibleand @JamesBCFC you reacted to my post above with a ‘confused’ emoji so I thought I’d explore that - you obviously don’t identify with, or understand, my thoughts or musings and that is probably because you belong to the X-Factor, Britains’s Got Talent, Strictly Come Dancing, Reality TV shite generation?

I’m sure you will correct me if i’m incorrect ... but my post highlighted a time when kids could seriously identify with the bands who were high profile at the time - and that was because we knew that they were the same age as us and they had grafted so, so hard to get a record deal - they had rehearsed in their Dad’s garage with their mates and then when they were confident enough they took their songs all over the UK, playing five, six, seven nights a week at horrendous venues just hoping to get spotted.

They worked harder than any X-Factor winner who wouldn’t know the first thing about honest graft or how to pick up a guitar and learn how to play it from scratch - we loved our heroes because they were just like us - they didn’t get flown out to a Simon Cowell mansion, somewhere exotic to practice an horrendous bubble gum pop song cover version to perform in front of brain dead couch potatoes on a Saturday night ready to vote by pressing the red button .... our heroes were real ... and a great example, like him or love him, is Bryan Adams - his band has been together since they were 14 years old, practising in his Dad’s old barn in the ‘70s and early ‘80s and making it to the top ... proper blokes, proper musicians - and the same goes to legends like The Jam, The Specials, The Clash etc, etc, etc .... 

I can understand somewhat why you are ‘confused’ but our heroes were real, not manufactured and pampered, and the reality they displayed through their playing and lyrics made us pay homage to them at a time when their outpourings were so refreshing and honest.

I get the impression your heroes will be forgotten in a matter of years, whereas ours will live forever ... hectic, heady days ... they were just awesome ...

• Like 10
  • Flames 4

4 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well, @EmissionImpossibleand @JamesBCFC you reacted to my post above with a ‘confused’ emoji so I thought I’d explore that - you obviously don’t identify with, or understand, my thoughts or musings and that is probably because you belong to the X-Factor, Britains’s Got Talent, Strictly Come Dancing, Reality TV shite generation?

I’m sure you will correct me if i’m incorrect ... but my post highlighted a time when kids could seriously identify with the bands who were high profile at the time - and that was because we knew that they were the same age as us and they had grafted so, so hard to get a record deal - they had rehearsed in their Dad’s garage with their mates and then when they were confident enough they took their songs all over the UK, playing five, six, seven nights a week at horrendous venues just hoping to get spotted.

They worked harder than any X-Factor winner who wouldn’t know the first thing about honest graft or how to pick up a guitar and learn how to play it from scratch - we loved our heroes because they were just like us - they didn’t get flown out to a Simon Cowell mansion, somewhere exotic to practice an horrendous bubble gum pop song cover version to perform in front of brain dead couch potatoes on a Saturday night ready to vote by pressing the red button .... our heroes were real ... and a great example, like him or love him, is Bryan Adams - his band has been together since they were 14 years old, practising in his Dad’s old barn in the ‘70s and early ‘80s and making it to the top ... proper blokes, proper musicians - and the same goes to legends like The Jam, The Specials, The Clash etc, etc, etc .... 

I can understand somewhat why you are ‘confused’ but our heroes were real, not manufactured and pampered, and the reality they displayed through their playing and lyrics made us pay homage to them at a time when their outpourings were so refreshing and honest.

I get the impression your heroes will be forgotten in a matter of years, whereas ours will live forever ... hectic, heady days ... they were just awesome ...

No, my emoji was based on your assumption of how the youths are now, which showed you as clearly put of touch, and probably posting with more than one pair of rose tinted specs on.

None of my musical 'heroes' came through any of the reality shite shows, and some of them were playing music before your generation were going out, even born. Nor is being manufactured something exclusive to recent times, The Monkees ring a bell?

Nethertheless, my liver and bank account will be glad to know the time I got through £300 on one night out never happened, because you think the generations past yours don't know how to go out, I'll just wait for that money to reappear.

Edited by JamesBCFC
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

No, my emoji was based on your assumption of how the youths are now, which showed you as clearly put of touch, and probably posting with more than one pair of rose tinted specs on.

None of my musical 'heroes' came through any of the reality shite shows, and some of them were playing music before your generation were going out, even born. Nor is being manufactured something exclusive to recent times, The Monkees ring a bell?

Nethertheless, my liver and bank account will be glad to know the time I got through £300 on one night out never happened, because you think the generations past yours don't know how to go out, I'll just wait for that money to reappear.

tumblr_lq760e0PyE1qiw0cb.gif

• Haha 1