IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well, @EmissionImpossibleand @JamesBCFC you reacted to my post above with a ‘confused’ emoji so I thought I’d explore that - you obviously don’t identify with, or understand, my thoughts or musings and that is probably because you belong to the X-Factor, Britains’s Got Talent, Strictly Come Dancing, Reality TV shite generation?

I’m sure you will correct me if i’m incorrect ... but my post highlighted a time when kids could seriously identify with the bands who were high profile at the time - and that was because we knew that they were the same age as us and they had grafted so, so hard to get a record deal - they had rehearsed in their Dad’s garage with their mates and then when they were confident enough they took their songs all over the UK, playing five, six, seven nights a week at horrendous venues just hoping to get spotted.

They worked harder than any X-Factor winner who wouldn’t know the first thing about honest graft or how to pick up a guitar and learn how to play it from scratch - we loved our heroes because they were just like us - they didn’t get flown out to a Simon Cowell mansion, somewhere exotic to practice an horrendous bubble gum pop song cover version to perform in front of brain dead couch potatoes on a Saturday night ready to vote by pressing the red button .... our heroes were real ... and a great example, like him or love him, is Bryan Adams - his band has been together since they were 14 years old, practising in his Dad’s old barn in the ‘70s and early ‘80s and making it to the top ... proper blokes, proper musicians - and the same goes to legends like The Jam, The Specials, The Clash etc, etc, etc .... 

I can understand somewhat why you are ‘confused’ but our heroes were real, not manufactured and pampered, and the reality they displayed through their playing and lyrics made us pay homage to them at a time when their outpourings were so refreshing and honest.

I get the impression your heroes will be forgotten in a matter of years, whereas ours will live forever ... hectic, heady days ... they were just awesome ...

You talk about your youth with great passion, and they were indeed great days.

I suspect the confused emojis that your original post got was due to the fact that you have fallen into the classic pitfall of "Bloody kids, not like it was back in my day" that seems to happen to a lot of people as they get older. Don't forget that your parents generation thought exactly the same of you.

You also seem to have forgotten that there was an awful lof of manufactured pop in the sixties and seventies as well, it's just that you were a little more discerning in your musical tastes. It's exactly the same now, plenty of 'proper' bands out there that have followings, just that the media these days makes it harder for them to get mainstream exposure than it ever was. There is also a wider variety of different styles and genres than there was.

Edited by richwwtk
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 2

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well, @EmissionImpossibleand @JamesBCFC you reacted to my post above with a ‘confused’ emoji so I thought I’d explore that - you obviously don’t identify with, or understand, my thoughts or musings and that is probably because you belong to the X-Factor, Britains’s Got Talent, Strictly Come Dancing, Reality TV shite generation?

I’m sure you will correct me if i’m incorrect ... but my post highlighted a time when kids could seriously identify with the bands who were high profile at the time - and that was because we knew that they were the same age as us and they had grafted so, so hard to get a record deal - they had rehearsed in their Dad’s garage with their mates and then when they were confident enough they took their songs all over the UK, playing five, six, seven nights a week at horrendous venues just hoping to get spotted.

They worked harder than any X-Factor winner who wouldn’t know the first thing about honest graft or how to pick up a guitar and learn how to play it from scratch - we loved our heroes because they were just like us - they didn’t get flown out to a Simon Cowell mansion, somewhere exotic to practice an horrendous bubble gum pop song cover version to perform in front of brain dead couch potatoes on a Saturday night ready to vote by pressing the red button .... our heroes were real ... and a great example, like him or love him, is Bryan Adams - his band has been together since they were 14 years old, practising in his Dad’s old barn in the ‘70s and early ‘80s and making it to the top ... proper blokes, proper musicians - and the same goes to legends like The Jam, The Specials, The Clash etc, etc, etc .... 

I can understand somewhat why you are ‘confused’ but our heroes were real, not manufactured and pampered, and the reality they displayed through their playing and lyrics made us pay homage to them at a time when their outpourings were so refreshing and honest.

I get the impression your heroes will be forgotten in a matter of years, whereas ours will live forever ... hectic, heady days ... they were just awesome ...

This sums up The X Factor for me. The easily offended should not listen. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

6 hours ago, richwwtk said:

You talk about your youth with great passion, and they were indeed great days.

I suspect the confused emojis that your original post got was due to the fact that you have fallen into the classic pitfall of "Bloody kids, not like it was back in my day" that seems to happen to a lot of people as they get older. Don't forget that your parents generation thought exactly the same of you.

You also seem to have forgotten that there was an awful lof of manufactured pop in the sixties and seventies as well, it's just that you were a little more discerning in your musical tastes. It's exactly the same now, plenty of 'proper' bands out there that have followings, just that the media these days makes it harder for them to get mainstream exposure than it ever was. There is also a wider variety of different styles and genres than there was.

100%, nail on head.

14 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What he said. 

• Flames 1

Some people on this post need to be diverted to a facebook group called "Bristol pubs and clubs of the 60's 70's and 80's. I can highly recommend it for a nostalgic trip back in time, with lot's of references to music, pubs, clubs, fashions, fights. All the stuff you'd expect from the title.

Let's keep this site back to taking the piss please.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rich said:

Some people on this post need to be diverted to a facebook group called "Bristol pubs and clubs of the 60's 70's and 80's. I can highly recommend it for a nostalgic trip back in time, with lot's of references to music, pubs, clubs, fashions, fights. All the stuff you'd expect from the title.

Let's keep this site back to taking the piss please.

I can only reference those from the 70's (my teenage years) where Bristol's pubs and clubs we're dark, dingy, dirty, dilapidated and left one feeling like needing a long scrub in the bath having visited. A bit like experiencing Eastville, Twerton or The House of Tents....

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, BRIAN WILSON said:

Some GAS melt on GT show mentioned Josh Hare (whoever the little **** is, apparently a Gas player) in the same sentence as Roberto Carlos ?

Perhaps he said some Gas player was a 'josher', as in no way could the ridiculing joker be a professional footballer?

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Blimey, slagchat makes good reading for a City fan. They're suicidal over there! 

Happy days eh! :)

Gonna do my usual when my nice bit of sirloin`s cooked and pop over while I savour it. Sounds like I won`t be disappointed - I saw the goal on Soccer Saturday earlier and it looked like another joke one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

I can only reference those from the 70's (my teenage years) where Bristol's pubs and clubs we're dark, dingy, dirty, dilapidated and left one feeling like needing a long scrub in the bath having visited. A bit like experiencing Eastville, Twerton or The House of Tents....

Never felt like that in The Rank, Locarno, Raquels, Lourdes, Maxims, in fact no club left me feeling like that. Cinema yes, The Kings. ??

You'll shut your ******* mouth and not bad mouth fans of 30 years....I am raging with you...******* dare to call me sh**...I have paid and followed this club all over the country and lady gardens like you bad mouth me

My offer stands, my phone number or address, you are welcome to both...and then you can come back on here and tell the others if I am Gas...   Family club?

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

Never felt like that in The Rank, Locarno, Raquels, Lourdes, Maxims, in fact no club left me feeling like that. Cinema yes, The Kings. ??

I'll give you the Locarno's starry ceiling was a thing of beauty but never had time much to look at it given the requirement to constantly scan for thuggish bouncers who took delight in bouncing folks down the concrete stairs......for no reason whatsoever.....

Kings I wouldn't know (never had the guts or Mac to go in) - more an Arts Centre or Arnolfini flicks watcher, me....