IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

3 hours ago, fatchers said:

Which away game did the blue hordes try to board their players coach at an away game in the Van league , shouting and screaming that they were not fit to wear the shirt and sack the dog botherer ?

If I remember correctly that was after they lost away to Altrincham.

Just writing that sentence puts a massive smile on my face.

Happy Days.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Funny how they never talk of how many get locked out at home games!  I mean even if you took it as fact that they have amazing away support, and take 40k to Wembley etc etc surely that just highlights how incredibly poor the home support is, so why boast about it?

We had 1000's of home fans locked out Admittedly we were playing them so all those City ST holders that didn't get in were obviously gasheads but we did have home fans locked out.

Actually, going back to the 70's we had lockouts a few time IIRC.

Edited by Ska Junkie

4 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

We had 1000's of home fans locked out Admittedly we were playing them so all those City ST holders that didn't get in were obviously gasheads but we did have home fans locked out.

We still got in most of the time though......................................

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Back in those days, you couldn't get season tickets in the ends, so most of us would POTD.  If we were expecting a sell out, we would queue up at least an hour before the game, but we always got in, though a few couldn't.  Problem was that they used to open the gates at half time and those outside would pour in for free and squashed those of us who had paid.

I do remember some games in the early 70s when cash was tight and we had no money to get in, so had to be happy with watching the second half for free.

How times have changed ?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Back in those days, you couldn't get season tickets in the ends, so most of us would POTD.  If we were expecting a sell out, we would queue up at least an hour before the game, but we always got in, though a few couldn't.  Problem was that they used to open the gates at half time and those outside would pour in for free and squashed those of us who had paid.

I do remember some games in the early 70s when cash was tight and we had no money to get in, so had to be happy with watching the second half for free.

How times have changed ?

I remember queuing for ages to get in the enclosure, until dad moved us to the Dolman. The queues used to go all around the car park behind the old grandstand as I remember it. 

By all accounts, the only queues at the gas were to get out early! 

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

City list 9-0 to Coventry in 1934. I remember it well as we were unlucky and should have won 

Well according to this 11-11 match report we were hampered by a terrible injury list which meant we didn't manage to field a team. :)Clarrie Bourton had a field day, although he should probably have scored more in the circumstances!

4 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

How times have changed ?

Playing football in the park and then walking over for "the last 20" for free. You knew the score before you went in by the cheers.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Playing football in the park and then walking over for "the last 20" for free. You knew the score before you went in by the cheers.

Oh yes, remember that well along with the queues out to Ashton Road. We were in the same end as the away fans before segregation and you would often see a few punches flying.

Edited by wendyredredrobin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

Nah, block G. I wasn't paying anyway and if dad wanted to go to home games, he had to take me.

I could have sworn we had a season book in the enclosure in the Div 1 days? No?

Yeah, I think you could in the enclosure but us pauper's in the ends had to POTD. Not that it made much difference as we were stood about 2 feet from the enclosure anyway.

Edited by wendyredredrobin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Yeah, I think you could in the enclosure but us pauper's in the ends had to POTD. Not that it made much difference as we were stood about 2 feet from the enclosure anyway.

Crackers? Went in there a few times, great laugh! 

We used to get in well early, dad used to stick me on a steel foldable stool, he made in work (imagine trying to get that in a football ground now) and stand right by the white wall of the tunnel. Same people in the same place every game even though it was rammed.

Happy memories.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

Crackers? Went in there a few times, great laugh! 

We used to get in well early, dad used to stick me on a steel foldable stool, he made in work (imagine trying to get that in a football ground now) and stand right by the white wall of the tunnel. Same people in the same place every game even though it was rammed.

Happy memories.

Yeah, I had to stand at the front against the railings to be able to see  until I was big enough to stand back up the terraces with my Dad. I doubt we could have afforded a stool for me to stand on though ?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Yeah, I had to stand at the front against the railings to be able to see  until I was big enough to stand back up the terraces with my Dad. I doubt we could have afforded a stool for me to stand on though ?

Friday afternoon foreigner from BAC I think, they used to take home anything that wasn't locked down in those days! ;)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Was that when people were sat on the steps of the dolman?  I remember it being total carnage, and the club were lucky nothing bad happened to be fair

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Was that when people were sat on the steps of the dolman?  I remember it being total carnage, and the club were lucky nothing bad happened to be fair

That was truely scarey - I was in the middle of that mass with my then-girlfriend....she's never been to a football match again and took some serious persuading before i was allowed to take my eldest for his first match

edit: with tickets, of course - can't remember if everybody had them and they had been oversold, or some turned up expecting to POTD

Edited by semblar

21 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Classic Rovers on Twitter today, I wonder how the ‘300 more were locked out’ figure was arrived at?  Did they do a head count?  Did they multiply the actual number by 10, then add 100, then round up to the nearest 100?

To be fair to them, they didn't say 300 were locked out of Woking's ground. It should read:

"And 300 more were locked out of their houses as their wives/sisters couldn't work out how to open the door"

21 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Classic Rovers on Twitter today, I wonder how the ‘300 more were locked out’ figure was arrived at?  Did they do a head count?  Did they multiply the actual number by 10, then add 100, then round up to the nearest 100?

I was there!

my figure would be 60-70 outside where I was ?‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Haha 9
  • Robin 2

1 hour ago, JulieH said:

I was there!

my figure would be 60-70 outside where I was ?‍♀️

Oh dear Julie..! No wonder they class you as one of us, over there. 

Recklessly throwing around facts like that, instead of spreading deceit, mis-information and exagerted lies...! 

• Haha 7

5 hours ago, semblar said:

That was truely scarey - I was in the middle of that mass with my then-girlfriend....she's never been to a football match again and took some serious persuading before i was allowed to take my eldest for his first match

edit: with tickets, of course - can't remember if everybody had them and they had been oversold, or some turned up expecting to POTD

IIRC there were quite a few `home made` tickets about.