IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

39 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

First of all I thought he was comparing Chernobyl to the gate . No, Oxford  but still deluded beyond belief 

B78A002A-EEA3-4C6B-892F-B2B1203BF71B.jpeg

They're such deluded liars!  They'd love a stadium even half as good as the Kassam.  Luckily the only only character they are likely to see any time soon is an upper case L followed by the number 2............

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

First of all I thought he was comparing Chernobyl to the gate . No, Oxford  but still deluded beyond belief 

B78A002A-EEA3-4C6B-892F-B2B1203BF71B.jpeg

Character? Is that how they're referring to it now?

The only sort of character you could link that dump to is Oscar from Sesame Street. A close second would be Mickey Mouse!

sesame street trash GIF

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Oscar was a man ahead of his time.

However, not much call for programs in those days when IT was still in its' infancy.

Not sure IT even existed back then Joe, but I used to buy a programme every game, even though it was full of rubbish and the team sheet was created 2 days earlier.

At least in those days, the team was more stable and predictable other than in respect of injuries and there was only one sub.  The centre forward was always no. 9 whoever played there as was the CH as no. 5, etc.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Not sure IT even existed back then Joe, but I used to buy a programme every game, even though it was full of rubbish and the team sheet was created 2 days earlier.

At least in those days, the team was more stable and predictable other than in respect of injuries and there was only one sub.  The centre forward was always no. 9 whoever played there as was the CH as no. 5, etc.

And of course, they could use a much bigger font on the teams page back in the day as there were only 12 lads selected for each side, none of this multiple subs malarkey.

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

The programme was at least a read, but I always liked the inset (Football League Review). I found it fascinating as (iirc) it devoted as many column inches to the likes of Torquay as it did to Liverpool. Yer Tiz Football League Review – The ONLY website dedicated entirely to this iconic little magazine! (wordpress.com)

Edited by Sweeneys Penalties
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

The programme was at least a read, but I always liked the inset (Football League Review). I found it fascinating as (iirc) it devoted as many column inches to the likes of Torquay as it did to Liverpool. Yer Tiz Football League Review – The ONLY website dedicated entirely to this iconic little magazine! (wordpress.com)

Yeah, I liked that as much as the programme

16 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

At least in those days, the team was more stable and predictable other than in respect of injuries and there was only one sub. 

Hang on - for some of us when we first started following City there were no subs. In City's case even when allowed to use them they didn't. I forget the record (Slarti will know) but I recall we went a season or longer without using one (a record surely never to be beaten.) 

I know who the first substitute was but not who City's first sub was. Any ideas?

16 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Hang on - for some of us when we first started following City there were no subs. In City's case even when allowed to use them they didn't. I forget the record (Slarti will know) but I recall we went a season or longer without using one (a record surely never to be beaten.) 

I know who the first substitute was but not who City's first sub was. Any ideas?

Blimey, are you allowed to use a computer in a care home? ?

53 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Is that the Rovers Laptop?

Recall visiting my employer's HQ in Tokyo in the late 80's where they'd taken delivery of a Cray 'thing'. They had a glass wall installed such visitors could marvel but not touch, something about heat and dust... Looked like the monolith in 2001, no cables, switches and barely more than a couple of LEDs presumably to indicate it was powered. I thought it might have been an elaborate hoax....

Edited by BTRFTG
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

The first sub used was George Showell on 28th August 1965 away at Manchester City - a 2-2 draw !

• Like 1

22 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Ironically, there was a character call Oscar at Eastville, he sold programs :yes:

He also went around pubs on weekends,selling hair brushes and other bits and pieces,for charity I must add,used to come into Crockers on a regular basis.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Did he tell you how much he preferred Rovers than us...?

He was always at the Rovers Ground selling their progs when we visited and as well known to some of my Rovers mates. Thought he was a rabid Rovers supporter. 

Was amazed when I saw him outside the East End selling them, bit only saw him doing that once or twice.

3 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Is that the Rovers Laptop?

Recall visiting my employer's HQ in Tokyo in the late 80's where they'd taken delivery of a Cray 'thing'. They had a glass wall installed such visitors could marvel but not touch, something about heat and dust... Looked like the monolith in 2001, no cables, switches and barely more than a couple of LEDs presumably to indicate it was powered. I thought it might have been an elaborate hoax....

Sure it wasn't Deep Thought from HHGTTGalaxy ?